Features

Peculiar Okafor: 5 Lessons a Tight Pair of Jeans Taught Me

The craziest thing happened to me Friday morning. I decided to wear new jeans I ordered online to work but alas, they wouldn’t zip or button. I decided to solicit the help  of dear mama and after working as a team for 10  minutes she accepted defeat and said ‘Peculiar, I can’t button this, it’s just too tight, look at how your butt looks in it’. I  replied that I couldn’t just not wear my new jeans. I loved the rips on them and a reflection of how my bum looked was more motivation. Geez, my squats were effective! I had to wear the jeans and thus began the struggle to zip and button the jeans. I lay on my bed, stretched, tucked my tummy in, etc and then the button pulled off; but I was not to be deterred. I simply cut a button from an old dress and decided to sew it on. Then I couldn’t find my sewing kit.

Well, let’s just say I managed to zip the trousers and solve the button dilemma by using a belt with a big buckle head and so I left for work and managed to be early by barely 5 minutes. My drama with my jeans actually taught me a few lessons about dreams and how to achieve them:

Before you replicate what others have done, do your research
I saw the jeans online on a model and decided they would be the right size. After all I’m a size 8; but I got the surprise of my life when I tried them on. I couldn’t even return them. The time frame for returning them had passed. (I was so confident they’d fit, I didn’t even try them on)

You need a team to help you
Mama was just the team mate I needed at the beginning. You should have seen the concentration on her face and the way she kept saying. ‘Hold the jeans firmly’, ‘tuck your tummy in’

Sometimes you gotta go the distance alone
Just as dear mama got tired and left. Sometimes in the walk to achieving our goals, people we hoped to help us may get tired and leave us alone. But you have to keep believing and thriving.

Be resourceful and think of alternatives

Before you decide to do steps 1-4, ask yourself if it’s worth it
After all the struggle (even breaking a nail in the process), only one person at work commented on the jeans. Imagine!

I must confess that I really had no lessons to teach y’all. I just wanted to share this story and still come across as deep and philosophical.

So dears, have you ever had to buy clothes a size too small only to force yourself into it the next day or hang it in your closet as motivation to get rid of those pounds? I’d like to hear your force fit stories.

Peace and laughter.

Remember that we are all beautiful.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Mirmoor

Peculiar is a Marketing communications personnel, she believes that one can have a full life without being bitchy and she wants it all 'A good career, love, laughter, wealth, you name it. She blogs at www.daworkdiva.blogspot.com.ng.. Follow her on Instagram @daworkdiva and Facebook 'www.facebook.com/Daworkdiva'

1. phino

March 9, 2015 at 3:40 am

Isn’t it just amazing how she relates a tight pair of jeans to life. Lol is it worth it. That got me!

2. Tee

March 9, 2015 at 5:35 am

Well, dunno what to say. How about the real issues with wearing tight jeans ;
    * yeast infection, your pearl can’t breath. BAD
    * you’ll look ridiculous, your tummy would bulge out and just urggghhhh
    * bum crack issues?
    * a more unflattering look in general
    ***order the right size, I personally hate trying on clothes, especially jeans, then with an ass, you could be a 6 today and an 8 tomorrow. Order a size up! Throw it in the washer, hot water, high heat dryer( if it doesn’t fit) and you are all set!!!

3. Calabar Gal

March 9, 2015 at 6:17 am

The moral of the story is, try new clothing to see if they fit before the return window ( time frame) closes.

This happened to me recently. I bought a pair of boots last spring and I was so confident they were my size I tucked them away in my closet for the appropraite time. They were so beautiful but it was flip flop season and they had to wait till the right time for their launch. My size is rarely on the shelves and this was a blessing in disguise – next season’s boots are sorted I smiled to myself.

Come this year, I finally dug them out and good lord!! The struggle to put them on was real. I could not believe it. No zip nothing!! I put a foot in and tugged, pulled, cajoled, prodded before one foot would fit in. This took almost 5 minutes and then I started the prodding and tugging attempt to get my second foot into the boot.

Ha!! I was cussing myself out – If only you had tried on these boots last year, you could have returned them. Now you are stuck with them. They HURT!! They were so tight! ‘If only’ – lamentation for the gods…… I walked about that day with a tight smile on my face – each footstep was a chore. Lets just say I have not worn those boots since then. A lot of money gone done the drain…….

4. jefka

March 9, 2015 at 7:19 am

did u forget the primary lesson. pls wear a mother care pant jst incase it tears.
    no eating of food for u dt day infact its dry fasting.
    make sure u v a car, else u n okada go gbege……
    finally, no using the restroom more than twice or once bcz d struggle to remove and wear back is real.

• mz_daniels

March 9, 2015 at 9:48 am

asin eh, the restroom one is real. Remember the day, an army of us had to help a friend zip up her dress in the coy restroom

5. babygiwa

March 9, 2015 at 8:43 am

I can’t just deal with clothes that don’t fit! I’ll pass…I had one hot dress like that, whenever I wear it I barely eat, sit properly or use the restroom. Finally gave it out cus I can’t come and die becus of one hot dress. Just one? Nahhhh. Bye hot dress. I’ll be alright.

• great

March 9, 2015 at 9:48 am

You are so funny baby Giwa. lol

6. Chinma Eke

March 9, 2015 at 9:45 am

I must confess Peculiar, I can’t remember any of your articles I’ve loved as much as this. I love it when events around us cause us to think and al the lessons you lent from the Jeans event are so onpoint.
    I once had jeans like that, difference was; I gave up, wore another. Cant be uncomfortable all day with something I bought with my money. (unless offcourse they are sexy shoes).

chinmaeke.wordpress.com

• Peculiar Okafor

March 10, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Thanks dear.

7. Afriocpedia

March 9, 2015 at 10:23 am

Thinking outside the Box. Keep it up.

8. Adiahamary

March 9, 2015 at 11:06 am

Hmmmm, for a tight jean ,I heard one has to squat wt it to fit well. I had a situation wt two pairs of shoe were I bought for 50k size 41,that is my normal size of which wt time the size 41 even become a bit too free dat I had to put shoe pad. Meanwhile d person I got d shoe frm Lagos wanted to send me 42 ,I said no, dat even d 41 get bigger wt time. But I did nt no dat synthetic don’t really expand like a leather shoe. I kept d shoe in ma house for almost year,so dis year a thought occur to me to fix newspaper on them,I did and is perfectly my size now. I did use shoe maker expander, I used them before it spoiled my shoe.

9. serene

March 9, 2015 at 11:11 am

You really sound philosophical…and this is just about a pair of jeans o. Funny. Nice read

10. Peculiar Okafor

March 9, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Hehehehe. Really dear, I just wanted to share the story with you guys but you know ‘ us 21st century women have to come across as deep and philosophical’.

11. Olamide A

March 9, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Right about needing a team 🙂

livinginlekki.com

12. D

March 9, 2015 at 2:57 pm

My tight jeans story…So in my college we usually had a school dance every saturday, college was in a small town so many people went for the school dance and after that it was house parties this was the school’s way of trying to curb alcohol on campus although that never worked. But school dance were actually quite popular at least for most Freshman and Sophomore even some Juniors (Not old enough to hit the bars). I had some friends from TT that I used to hang out with and they ALWAYS wore these tight jeans, infact, one of them always made us late because she was always trying to fit into them tight jeans. I had experienced her having accidents (jeans ripping) on the dance floor while “whining what her mama gave her” but more often than not she was always able to pull it off. Then I decide to try it one day and my very first day I had an accident…jeans flipping ripped, luckily it was right in the center so no one could see it unless you went down to look but that was the last time I tried that issshhh…. I always try clothes and shoes because i hate returning things to the store so I never do but yes I have bought jeans that are just a tad bit snug in the hopes of losing weight but it all ends up going to charity so I have stopped.

13. Anon

March 9, 2015 at 4:51 pm

I have a friend’s wedding to attend in 2 weeks in PH (I reside in Lagos). I had the asoebi made over a month ago. I tried it on at the tailor’s place and it seemed ok. Last night I tried it on again and oops! I couldn’t sit, couldn’t squat, couldn’t walk well, couldn’t even put on my shoes. In my mind, my dress was ready.
    Thank God I tried it on, taking it back to the tailor to make adjustments.
    I just kept thinking, what if I hadn’t tried it on…

14. Drknite

March 9, 2015 at 5:32 pm

I would have love to see that booty in those tight jeans.