Features

Sodas & Popcorn: 10 Top Movies that Killed Their Franchises

Sodas & Popcorn

Everybody loves a good movie franchise. Mostly because they seem familiar and you don’t need an exposé about characters or major plot lines. The studios love franchises too, oh how they love ’em. Franchises bring studios bucket loads of money because they increase the fan base for the movies, thereby increasing ticket sales which in turn make them really rich.

However, greed gets the better of the movie executives and they sign off on bad sequels which do the exact opposite: they tank the franchise. They “Nuke the Fridge” or “Jump the Shark”

So here’s my list of movies that have succeeded in nuking the fridge

10. SHREK THE THIRD
The first Shrek movie was beyond amazing. It was smart, funny and it made a lot of references to pop culture not to mention that it had some kick ass soundtracks. It was the perfect animated feature. It created lovable characters and made us laugh. The 2nd one was a little diminished but we all loved it nonetheless. However, when the train wreck that is Shrek the Third got released, we all felt tired and watching the movie was beyond exhausting. No jokes, the soundtracks were forgettable and Justin Timberlake.

9. THE BOURNE LEGACY
Ok. Some people might come out and say, “The movie wasn’t all that bad” and to be honest, it wasn’t all that bad. But why on God’s green earth would you make a Bourne film with Jason Bourne? Why?! This is highly unlikely, but I believe there were some poor devils who went to the cinema to see The Bourne Legacy expecting to see Matt Damon playing Jason Bourne and they got Jeremy Renner playing Aaron Cross. I would imagine that this realization would’ve left them with “What The F**k” plastered on their faces. The truth is The Bourne Legacy shouldn’t even exist. However, I hear another Bourne movie starring Jeremy Renner is in the works. OH, JOY!!! Sarcasm is all I have left.

8. PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES
Well, this is a no brainer. I don’t even think I need to explain how this movie destroyed the franchise. It was BAD at best. It seemed like a spin off to me since the film makers decided to throw William Turner and Elizabeth Swan away from the story and surround the plot around Jack Sparrow who at this point has made the transition from funny & entertaining to intolerable & gimmicky.
I’ll be honest, I think the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise lost it with “At World’s End” but if that movie sentenced the franchise to death, “On Stranger Tides” is most definitely the electric chair. Tueh!

7. INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL
Really?! REALLY?! Aliens?! Are you kidding me? I anticipated the new “Indiana Jones” movie for sooooo long, I entered the cinema with a hard-on expecting to get oiled up. I sit expecting a good ‘ol time and what do I get? Fucking aliens. F**k you very much Speilberg and Lucas.

6. EVERY SINGLE SAW SEQUEL
The first Saw movie was ok. It was really…. ok. I mean there were a lot of plot holes here and there, but I liked it. It didn’t have too much gore and it wasn’t overly complicated. “Saw” made a load of money; so the studio executives came along and decided to milk the franchise dry with 6 sequels. 6 sequels!!! For the love of God, exercise some chill! As the sequels went on, it became obvious that the film makers had decided to confuse us with overlapping stories and insane plot twists so we wouldn’t notice the shit storm that was every single “Saw” sequel.

5. EVERY SINGLE PARANORMAL ACTIVITY SEQUEL
The first “Paranormal Activity” was truly frightening. It raised the bar when it came to “found footage” horror movies. It took advantage of our fear of the unknown, which I believe is our strongest fear. The ending was perfect and it should have been left at that, but when you make almost $200 million from a movie with a $15,000 budget, the greed sets in. They proceeded to make four unnecessary sequels who are begging the audience to see them as relevant throughout their running time.

4. THE FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER
Yes, the first “Fantastic Four” movie was dog crap, but we all thought it could be saved. We thought; “Give it a more serious plot and you could salvage it” oh, and yeah, “Get a new director. Preferably one that didn’t direct the ‘Barbershop’ movies”. Did FOX listen to our cry? Heck no! We got Tim Story at the helm again and everything pretty much went tits up from there on end. We asked for a serious plot and what do we get? The Not So Fantastic Four swapping powers and a melodramatic Silver Surfer that no one gives a crap about. This movie was like a still born. FOX is rebooting the franchise with a completely new cast and premise. I hope to God it’ll deliver.

3. JAWS : THE REVENGE
“Jaws” is one of the greatest horror films ever made. It was exciting, scary and had all the shock value anyone needs from a good horror movie. It also had an unforgettable score that further enhanced the scares. The “Jaws” franchise started to sink with “Jaws: 3D”, but the last straw was “Jaws: The Revenge”. The movie had a daft plot at best and the special effects were terrible. The movie is so bad it got nominated for Worst Picture at the 1987 Razzies. It’s so bad it has an amazing 0% Rating on Rotten Tomatoes. But the thing that really pains me is the fact that Michael Caine couldn’t accept his Oscar for “Hannah and Her Sisters” because of his shooting commitments on this film.

2. BATMAN AND ROBIN
Where do I start? The nipples? The Chrome Bat Suits? The film’s lack of respect for the laws of physics? George Clooney’s wise cracking Dark Knight? Uma Thurman’s acting? Joel effing Schumacher? Rubber Lips?! I could go on and on and on. This film was abysmal. It was a wreck. It ruined “Batman” in the eyes of this fan boy and every fan boy around the earth. Thank God for Christopher Nolan for reviving this franchise murdered by Joel Schumacher. DEATH TO SCHUMACHER!

1. DAREDEVIL
Duh.

Have you got your own movies to share? Let’s know in the comment box below.

Review written by Chiemeka Osuagwu for www.sodasandpopcorn.com. Follow him on Twitter @Tu_CHAe

Photo Credit: Getty Images

Hello there, we are Sodas & Popcorn. An award winning movie blog at the Nigerian Blog Awards. We review the movies released to Nigerian and International cinemas and give the trusted verdict on the movie to our readers.

1. Oyinade

June 17, 2015 at 2:44 pm

I disagree with you on Shrek. Shrek 1 – 3 was awesome.

• LOLS

June 17, 2015 at 9:08 pm

I totally agree with you Oyinade. Shrek 1 2 and 3 were all great!

2. whocares

June 17, 2015 at 2:47 pm

I was calmly cruising on BN, searching for a topic of interest. I was in my happy zone, and why shouldn’t I be? I had just eaten lunch and I was sated. Oh what is this? Movies? sure, I love movies, I would rather read this than some demented advice to women regarding relationships, or some random celebrity talking about his rise? (na who him be gan sef? Honestly, I do not know him!) I arrived at my destination- movies! Looked at the topic. Oohh even better a list of movies. I love movies, I love lists. Surely, this is my interwebs happy space, then I saw it.
    Bourne Legacy! Oohhh. Oooooooh. Don’t get me started on that at alllll. I have read all the Bourne books by Rob Ludlum so the Bournes are my babies. Bourne Identity, Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum are some of my favourite movies (its a tie between that and the God father 1 & 2.. 3 was a tragedy.) I hate that they cut the Carlos bit away, but I can forgive that. But Bourne Legacy? WTF was that? My blood boils every time someone mentions that movie to my hearing (whoosahhhhhh) there will be another Bourne movie with Matt Damon thankfully so I can breathe easy 🙂
    How could you not involve the Mission Impossibles, or Iron Man 3? Absolute train wrecks. Daredevil might be interesting. I am looking forward to that. Pirates 3 was just comedy. Silver surfer wasn’t that terrible. I dont think it killed the franchise at all, though it was a bit dull. How do we feel about the new harry potter sequel they keep screaming about? I don’t know how I feel about that yet.
    Clearly I have too much time for lunch if I can write a prose about movies. lool.

• whocares

June 17, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Taken 3 was also not it at all. The movie they should have continued was Man on Fire (anyone remember that? with Denzel? ) the books were amazing, and if they made it into a trilogy at least they would have made more money and millions of women world wide happier for it!

3. A Real Nigerian

June 17, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Did you actually write this or was it copied from somewhere…or many places?

• Nik

June 17, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Your comment is rude, envious and ignorant. Are you jealous you didnt think to write or copy it first? Appreciate first before you throw crass criticism? mschewwwww

• Sara

June 17, 2015 at 7:23 pm

OMG epic comment lol .. My thoughts exactly

4. Niola

June 17, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Every sequel to the original Taken should be on this list…….No more please…

5. sussy

June 17, 2015 at 3:51 pm

I love Saw though and Indiana Jones, paranormal activity is crap… nice review.

6. Jagbajantis

June 17, 2015 at 3:52 pm

1. Robocop 2 and 3 – They were really terrible as they lacked the wow factor of the first one, and just regurgitated a lame story with lots of gore. After watching those series as a kid, I memorized the name of the city where the movies was set (Detroit) and vowed never to visit there when I become an adult. A bad film can do that. The 2013/2012 Robocop was really good though. Great story line, but the first one is still the best.

2. Grease 2 – The first Grease (with John Travolta) was superb. To me, that is the best movie of ALL time. Grease 2 was underwhelming. The T-Birds and their leader Nogarelli lacked Danny Zuko’s charisma (played by Travolta). It seemed mushy and loved stucky. While the original Grease was fun and light and epic.

3. Every Nigerian movie which has more than one part. Lol.

7. @edDREAMZ

June 17, 2015 at 3:53 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    Many film wasnt mentioned though this once are great though no doubt….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

8. BlueEyed

June 17, 2015 at 3:56 pm

I usually don’t like movie sequels or even prequels. Asides the X-men franchise or Lord of the rings.

9. Nik

June 17, 2015 at 4:25 pm

10. peyton

June 17, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Where do I start from?? Shrek 3 oh hell no.
    Taken nah after part one let it rest oh.
    Die hard 4 this is sad because I love Bruce Willis as in love the guy die hard 1-3 was the ish, but 4 let it go oh please Bruce is too old to be chasing badoskis( Bad guys).
    Why did we get married not relevant
    The best men holiday mba I love terrence Howard but cmmon.
    Bourne was the disaster how can you remove Matt Damon?? how

11. babym

June 17, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Pocahontas 2 was a total travesty. It was sooooo bad, far from the feel good factor we all turn to Disney animations for, I mean I guess they were trying to follow the original true life story but this is freaaking Disney not real life! was soo disappointed.

Shout out to the fast and the furious franchise for nailing it every time… well apart from Tokyo drift lol, that one was a bit dodgy.

• Purplegirl

June 18, 2015 at 1:22 am

Ironically Tokyo drift is the only one I’very been able to enjoy. The others are too much for me

12. tunmi

June 17, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Oohhhh BN I second whocares, I LOVE LISTS!!! Please make some more. Lists of whatever, I don’t care but I love lists!! For example: old school Nigerian movies, veteran NAija actors, vacation places, zoos and nature’s visit spots (parks, olumo rock, etc) and they must have pictures.

13. onochie

June 17, 2015 at 7:18 pm

First of all, Daredevil isn’t a franchise; Taken 3, Die Hard 5, every Friday The 13th sequel, every The Nightmare on Elm Street sequel, Superman 3,4 and Superman Returns, Transformers 2 and 3, American Pie spin-offs and Every Scary Movie after part 1 should be on this list

14. onochie

June 17, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Plus Bourne Legacy is based on the Bourne books written by Eric Van Lustbader (I think) after Robert Ludluum died. Readers already knew they weren’t going to see Jason Bourne so I wouldn’t call it a letdown. There’s a reason they called it “The Bourne Legacy”… Its based on Jason’s legacy, not on Jason

15. Fume

June 17, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Every sequel of Death Race was just crappy, SAW sequels was just dumb and dumber anyway horror movies tend to annoy me. and then piranha and its fake effects.

16. Lapetite

June 17, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Must you use swear words and crude language to express your disenchantment with the movies??

17. S!

June 17, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Every Home Alone that didn’t feature Macaulay Culkin. Pls who has watched the version that he was a psycho killer, I don’t know if it’s actually Home Alone but the CD had Home Alone written on it.

18. tutu

June 18, 2015 at 12:15 am

oh you forgot to mention Toy Story sequels…d first one was awesome ,but the rest?? yuck

19. Mz Socially Awkward...

June 18, 2015 at 12:32 pm

The recently released Pitch-Perfect 2 was also a bag of uselessness. I saw it on Sunday (after kicking myself since May that I’ve not yet seen this movie and it’ll soon be taken away from the cinema board to make way for summer blockbusters) and was amazed that Elizabeth Banks allowed her money and name to be invested in this travesty.

Also, the sequel to … crap, what’s the name of that movie that’s very similar to “The Hunger Games”? With Shailene W? Drat, had to google it – “Divergent”. I was pleasantly surprised by the first one and then the 2nd one just destroyed my goodwill towards the franchise.

That Star Wars movie that introduced Jar-Jar Binks (this one, I bluntly refuse to google). In one single swoop, they could have destroyed a well-enshrined legacy, if not for God. Still awaiting the highly publicised release of the latest Star Wars instalment.

Think Like a Man Too – another slap in the face to those who supported the first movie with good reviews.

Die Hard 4 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Multiple explanation marks are needed to capture my ire that Bruce Willis deceived us into thinking instalment number 4 was in any way related to the awesomeness of instalments numbers 1-3.

Men in Black 3. Hmmmm.

Every single “Hangover” movie ever made. There is no good one among the entire lot, in my opinion.

We can honestly be here for days just discussing the selfish ambition which drives Hollywood studios to inflict us with such cinema fails. Yes, writers/producers/directors/actors of Transformers 3, I’m staring straight in your direction… Maybe you Soda & Popcorn folk can do a reverse list of great franchises (“Avengers”!!!!) next time, to lift our weary souls. 🙂

20. MissMe

June 18, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Please who has seen “EVERLY” Salma Hayek? I sat through that movie and was close to choking myself to death, utter nonsense! The Plot was a no no ahan! To think i ended up seeing it cos Oga and I tossed a coin in his favor, I would have jejely seen Jurassic World. Things we do for love.

21. Alem

June 18, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Hangover 2 & 3 (a travesty)
    Taken 2 & 3 (Unnecessary)
    All disney sequels i.e Cinderella 2, Mulan 2, Pocahontas 2, etc (cash grabs)
    All horror sequels i.e Saw franchise, Halloween, Nightmare on elm street, Friday the 13th etc
    Fast and Furious sequels have been cool so far but they need to end as they too will soon become annoying.

22. veer234

June 18, 2015 at 11:33 pm

You are reviewing nonsense… look at the comments. That’s what happens when you try to copy another persons idea. rubbish.,

23. smartmelifesdoes

June 20, 2015 at 2:21 am

shrek is love shrek is life