Features

Grace Efezokhae: Our Reliance on God for the Provision of Basic Amenities

I grew up in a Christian home, my family had Christian names and we wore our best clothes to Church every Sunday. An average Nigerian home is religious and the particular religion is immaterial; we generally believe in the existence of a Supreme Being. It could be Jesus, Mohammed, Sango, Ifa and maybe a snow white mirror kept under a pillow.

I strongly believe in the existence of God and whenever I meet someone who doesn’t, I always like to ask questions about why they say, think or feel so. I remember a conversation I had with an American coursemate and he told me he believes in God, but he doesn’t think he has to go to a church or a mosque to access God (that was what his reason for attending a church or mosque). He talked more on this and I listened to him attentively. All I could say in response was that I believed in the fact that God exists. I told him about the time when my younger brother had a life-threatening illness and had to undergo a major surgery. I prayed like never before to a God I believe existed and He answered. I also talked about how whenever I feel emotionally down, I just withdraw myself to a quiet place and tell the same God I believe exists how I feel and I experience this calmness in me afterwards.

I thought about this conversation after that day and dwelled on the fact that we both grew up in different backgrounds and as such we have diverse perspectives to life. He grew up in America where they have a ‘citizen-sensitive’ government that provides free education up to high school level and even grant loans to those who want to go to college. The healthcare system is great, good roads, lots of opportunities to work and earn money and so much more.

The reverse is the case in Nigeria. I feel like our affinity to the existence of God lies majorly in what we can get from Him. We fast, pray, hold night vigils and attend crusades to ask God to provide school fees for our kids in elementary school, pray for someone who is critically ill in the hospital because of malaria, or someone who was involved in a ghastly motor accident due to bad roads and there was no ambulance to rush him to the hospital (that is if there was even any close by). The sad part is we pray for the electric company to provide power to iron our clothes and freeze our food. The height of it all is sharing a testimony in church for providing us with a new or bigger generator. We pray all our lives for things the American government provide to their citizens at no cost. Of which I think the Americans never appreciate these opportunities they have.

Nowadays, I feel terribly sad when I hear about certain men of God who have misled my fellow Nigerians in their quest to get these things that the Western countries take for granted. I still wonder if we had all these things in Nigeria; free and good quality education, top-notch health system, zero unemployment rate and all those things we earnestly pray and fast for, will people still go to church with the same intensity as they used to? Will they still regard God in high esteem as they do now?

Well, my main goal of this post is just to let us all know (including myself) that our relationship with God (if you do believe He exists) should go beyond what He can do for us and provide but for who He is. Strive to have that happy going relationship with God as a dear friend and Father.

The God we believe in will not come down and solve our problems. Just imagine the story I read in the papers of a pregnant woman who bled to death after being rushed to the hospital. Sadly, the doctors were on strike due to unpaid salaries and there was no one to attend to her. And then as religious as we are, we will say it’s God’s Will. It certainly can’t be God’s Will, it is our (the government and ourselves) will. I still hope and pray that a time will come in Nigeria when we will not have to pray and fast for an illness that could be well treated if we had world class hospitals, or pray for a kid in elementary school for his/her fees to be paid. I will keep hoping for a Great Nigeria we all desire.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Phartisan

Grace Efezokahe is a finance professional based in Toronto, Ontario. She is an avid reader, writer and traveller who loves to travel and share her experiences for others to see the world through her eyes. She can be reached on [email protected].

1. Warizdiz

July 17, 2015 at 9:20 am

I believe in God and his Omnipotence. He has come through for me so many times l often ask what l have done to deserve such grace.

At the same time, l also believe heaven helps those who help themselves. If you go and sit in church 24/7 and come ask me to contribute to your rent, you are on a long thing. You do not have a job outside of what you do running after the pastor and his wife, sorry, I refuse to tick what l will do for you on that wedding list you tout around. l cannot contribute to your elaborate we’dding out of my hard graft.

I am fortunate and l work hard therefore, l do not understand nor have the stomach for plain laziness in the name of worshipping God. Some of us take God for granted. Seek work, do work real hard and ask God to bless your HONEST labour and men of goodwill will come thru for you in times of trouble. My two cent.

2. Shopperoflife

July 17, 2015 at 10:15 am

@Warizdiz, Only a fool will say there is no God. However, like you, l also believe we take God for granted.

The first time l heard the words “It is well”, l did not understand it. It was during a critical health challenge. The nurses would troop into my room at the hospital and say “It is well” I assumed since they were professionals, they meant there was no cause for alarm. Unfortunately, there was a serious crisis and the outcome was bad. But God came through and it was not a total loss. This topic resonate with me in the sense that rather than hold our leaders and Govt accountable, we spread our hands and say “It is well” or “God will punish…….” And we continue to suffer in silence.

God is good and always comes through for his own but, l also believe that we are too docile as a people. We take God for granted. We should begin to hold our leaders accountable, punish them when they abuse our trust and insist that our institutions be strengthened. We should hold our leaders to their promises. Whilst some of us are able to send our kids to school abroad, how many hard working folks can? If the schools back home are good enough, Nigerians will not be sending their kids to Malaysia and some far flung God forsaken lonely end of nowhere for an education. With constant immigration troubles and at times death that cannot be investigated. If there is affordable Heathcare, Malaria should not be killing anyone in 2015 Nigeria.

While I believe in a living God, l also think as a people, we are just too docile.

3. B

July 17, 2015 at 10:26 am

Very interesting and thought provoking article. Thank you!

4. fatima

July 17, 2015 at 10:28 am

Nice write up but the Muslims supreme being is Allah. Mohammed is one of the messengers of Allah.

5. tolu

July 17, 2015 at 10:40 am

What do u expect frm a country dat has churches where pastor will pray solely for them for visas even thou they know they dnt worth d visa due to fake documents. Or someone with cancer or any diseases that neglect hospital but believe alone in miracle by visiting pastor. Only headache, dat same pastor will fly abroad for treatment. Lolz. Naija pple. Religion is a crap.

6. Ross

July 17, 2015 at 10:41 am

I don’t even know where to start applauding you for this piece. Very apt and intelligently written. It is indeed sad what God is to the average Nigerian. He has been belittled in our prayers and culture to a deity we ask for a mobile phone, water and electricity.
    In reality it all boils down to an education of the mind and spirit, and by that I don’t necessarily mean school or university (after all our ancestors were not ‘educated’ but approached matters from a point of common sense), but I mean a self educating, where people DECIDE to open themselves and THINK. I have come to see that nothing and no one can do this for Nigeria. It will come from the individual seeing himself as a human being and understanding what this means. From this awakening will come a questioning as to the madness and backwardness we have sunk into and from there will come hopefully a longing for better.
    They say Africa and Nigeria are experiencing a renaissance, well I hope this is true because I’m yet to observe it. The unfortunate truth is that, as with Europe in the renaissance, we have to get rid of these false ‘men of god’ and people need themselves to find God. I don’t know if that’s possible with us……
    Your American friend is right on the one hand; you don’t find God only in the church and definitely NOT in the church of today; it is however helpful to remember Christ’s words that ‘where 2 or more are gathered in his name, there he is’, so it is a necessity to conglomerate in the name and in the Worship of God. The way we have it in Nigeria today though, no thank you!!!

7. well...

July 17, 2015 at 10:49 am

I uderstand the points made.

But please bear in mind

1. Some illnesses are incurable by traditional science hence only GOD can do the needful

2. An ill man or woman may be considered “lazy” when he is just ill in “some” ways. A lot of productive hours are lost due to illness or pain in this country so even the working people can break down.

3. Life is NOT straightforward. Since Adam and Eve sinned, all has been in a state of chaos or UNWHOLENESS. It will never come back to its initial state. This is devil’s campus. Only the violent/tough christians can make it here (or pass GOD’S EXAM) and progress to the final destination-HEAVEN where there is no more chauvinism, rape, pain, bad news, lack, sadness, headache, kidney failure, abuse, inperfection, mediocrity, slavery, menstrual cramp, pretending, stoopings, etc.

4. Since 3. above, that is life cannot be stereotyped, problems come in different sizes and combinations:

e.g. kidney failure +leg ulcer +bad inlaws
    chauvinist husband+jealous stepmother+low qualifications
    cancer+sinling business+husband’s extramarital affairs
    bad parents+late marriage+people-perceived arrogance
    fear+complacency+fibroid
    demon-possessed furious wife+rent due+backsliding trend

Only GOD can guarantee WHOLENESS/Overcoming in every aspect spiritually, financially, helath-wise, etc. It is easy to talk about others problems but to step into their shoes, one might sleep in church as they do.

Nobody is the same;
    diff backgrounds,
    principles,
    emotional investments from dearest and nearest,
    thresholds for different situations,
    beliefs,
    innate personality,
    innate strengths
    upbringing

so we react to problem in different ways. BUT ALAS HALLELUYAH to GOD,
    we have seen, heard, confirmed at leats thousands of unbelievable testimonies over the years in different aspects (spiritual, financial, fruit-of-the-womb wise, health-wise, peace-wise) .

BUT LIFE presents NEW battles every second. As we are reading, someone may be on the way to Naija with Ebola. Just an example. LIFE IS A CONSTANT BATTLE. Sometimes one, sometimes multiple. Money does not solve all problems.

The prayer is to finish strong and finish well.

Also as XTIANS, the standard we use is different from the world’s standard.

It is much higher, the stakes are higher; a crown, ETERNITY in heaven, a seat by the FATHER.

Hardwork(or excellence) is number two. But the number one is CHRISTIANITY (HOLINESS, the master key of masster keys, what makes GOD WHO HE is).

I wrote an epistle. Haha.

• bruno FIERCE

July 17, 2015 at 12:32 pm

” Some illnesses are incurable by traditional
      science hence only GOD can do the needful”

just tell me one disease god has cured. just one. prayer can never cure hiv or malaria or cancer.

if u like continue decieving your selves. no amount of prayer can cure any disease. it has never happened and it will never happen.

• gbemie.o

July 17, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Oo btw I havent had malaria this year bcus last year I told God I didnt want to have it. Everyone around me had malaria, my friends whom I live with had it, acc. 2 d dr I should also have it cuz we all live 2geda but naa mehn I didnt have it, malaria nd I were kinda like besties last year nd I cried out to my Jesus nd said noo more and I hvnt had it. Btw I know ppl who have been totally cured of hiv and cancer, even Dr’s abroad could not believe it……bruno dear God is real d fact dt u dnt blv in him gives u no right to talk ppl down for it.

• bruno FIERCE

July 17, 2015 at 4:12 pm

u know someone who used prayer to cure hiv. pls can u tell me the person.

people like u are very dangerous with ur dangerous ignorant mentality.

I repeat no amount of prayer can cure any disease. it has never happened and it will never happen

if u have hiv, u beter go and see a trained doctor and start taking ur drugs.

I made an error in one of my comments below, so because I made an error that means ur religion or u so called god exists. HA! u people will do and say anything to trick ur selves into believing something that doesn’t exist.

u will do anything to discredit me, but it is not about me. prayers can not cure shit and that is a fact u have to deal with.

• Bridget

July 17, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Don’t forget the nigerian man that was exposed to ebola through his fiance and prayed about it and was healed.
      God is real, and the entirety of creation shows that it is real. When I look at the trees, the earth and how everything is connected with food cycles, water cycles, carbon cycle and all what not, its so organized and deliberate. In a way that somebody planned and created everything. Your refusal to accept the truth does not make the truth a lie. Time will tell.
      Let me tell a story,
      When I was in my second year in university, I was having my devotion. For some days, I had been reading the book of romans, chapter by chapter, and I was having a new understanding of the love of God. I noticed how the disciples were so willing to die because of the gospel- I started asking myself how is it that they were so willing to lay down their lives for the gospel, in a simple scenario as “if I perish I perish”? I was like, why does this feel so easy for them to do?
      As I read romans that morning by 5am exactly, I felt a presence and it was filled with love like I have never ever experienced before. I suddenly realised that God’s presence was right there with me. I started crying profusely, feeling and wondering why do you love me like this? I felt so loved that I just wanted to give back, that even if I had to lay down my life for him, I would. I remembered the questions in my heart that I had been having for some days now, and I realised I just literally experienced it. I immediately understood why Jesus gave his life for us and why the disciples were willing to give theirs for Him. I immediately understood why it felt so easy. It was the love of God, his presence that made the difference. I immediately understood why the bible says that God is love. I had just experienced, and at that moment, nothing else mattered. God came first, and it was easy.
      I hear people saying that God does not exist and I respect their opinions. But nobody can come and deceive me that He doesnt, because I have felt his presence before and it feels like pure pure pure love. Words can never express what I experienced, but that experience was my evidence for a lifetime and for anybody that cares to listen that God really does exist and he is love. And knowing that He is real, the mere imagination of what He is capable of, just makes me worship Him.

• bruno FIERCE

July 17, 2015 at 6:05 pm

@bridget

” I suddenly realised
      that God’s presence was right there with
      me. I started crying profusely, feeling and
      wondering why do you love me like this?”

LOOOOOOOOOL. u are pathetic i swear. the main reason why u wear crying is because u felt sorry for ur self and ur sad life. u didn’t have a boyfriend thats why u were crying not because u felt the presence of god.

we are humans and god created us abi? humans are not perfect, so why do we need to apologise to god for our imperfections. really?

many of u people go to church on sunday just because u feel sorry for urself and to appease ur guilty conscience. I see many of u on tv, crying and rasing ur hands to the sky begging god for forgiveness. its so funny and pathetic. Continue feeling sorry for yourself.

the painful part is u religious people are the most wicked, most brutal sons of b!tches on this planet.so many of that are here commenting here im sure in real life u are very wickrd and mean who feel zero compassion or remorse for their fellow human being. If u gist u stories about many religious people I have encountered starting from the people in my family to strangers I have met, ur mouth will drop. all of u are all the same. ur not fooling me with ur holistic talks.

• Pretty girl

July 17, 2015 at 10:38 pm

” bruno Firerce be there be decving your self. It is only this god that u have talked about that can’t cure Hiv cancer or any other serious sickness. But u see this God is all powerful and can cure all sickness so we that serve this God knw what we are doing by following him.

• Godwina

July 17, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Ese God bless you.

8. Frosh?

July 17, 2015 at 10:49 am

Beautiful article Grace, very very beautiful…

I have been mulling over these same thought in my mind for a long time now and my conclusions align a lot with yours. I used to wonder why there was so much depravity in Nigeria yet this was a land where god was “seemingly” upheld in highest esteem, whereas in America where they really didn’t seem to care about god, they had everything in abundance. It made me struggle with my faith because I felt god has abandoned Nigeria or he plain flat out doesn’t exist cos if he existed, he won’t allow people who call so desperately on his name to suffer so badly.

I had an epiphany when I realized that God has nothing to do with all the suffering, it was our government and we the people that were largle responsible for that. I realized that when relating with god, we have to relate with him from a place of truth and love not because of our desperate desire to have our needs met.

We spend the week cheating people, engaging in internet fraud, fraudulent bank transactions, lying and deception, cussing each other and wishing each other death on social media then at the end of the week we dust off our bibles and Korans and head off to church or mosque to a god who we think doesn’t know the state of our hearts. We have to do better as a nation and as people and learn to see god as a friend not another slave master who we have to slave for with constant fasting, prayer, deliverance sessions and sowing of humongous seeds before he finally rewards us with blessings .

Thank you Grace for reaffirming this truth to me, you have really inspired me, Godbless

• Ross

July 17, 2015 at 12:13 pm

@Frosh, I had goosebumps reading your contribution. Beautiful!!!

• Frosh?

July 17, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Thanks Ross!!

• Graciemama

July 17, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Awww! I love your comment a million times.

• Frosh?

July 17, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Thanks Graciemama, your post is one of the best reads iv had on BN.

• Ni

July 17, 2015 at 2:47 pm

hi gracie, i have read your article and your opinion is nice……..because of this i would like to send you a copy of my book that would be released by next year specifically talking about prayer. There is more to prayer than all that have been said here.

• Graciemama

July 18, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Thanks Ni. I look forward to reading your book when you publish it. Please send a mail to [email protected]
      I hope to hear from you.

9. well...

July 17, 2015 at 11:02 am

When it comes to health, please put 100% trust in GOD and show it!

But start small, grow your faith. Start with non-risly illnesses but keep growing.

People trust too much in medicine. How are you sure the factory did not have contamination as they were producing your batch? It happens, so what about those who lost their lives due to such? Are they just numbers?

Look at ChocolatRoyal, who would have known they were eating maggots?

Can you dictate to your heart or your gallbladder or the bones in your fingers? Who dictates to them taht they should work every morning? Rem some other people died at night.

Do not belittle GOD’S hardwork in your life, HIS investment. You can’t keep yourself healthy 100% and a 2% can kill you. Kuku trust THE ONE WHO IS NEVER SICK 100%. Start small, grow your faith.

Some people are burnt to death. When they were shouting, did GOD not see? Why are you still alive? Are there not people in hell already who are never coming out? Are they not our bortehrs and sisters? Don’t dull yaself, keep it real, you are not special. ONLY GOD makes one special. Stick to HIM.

Please HIM, HAVE FAITH, pls.

10. Girlbeingreal

July 17, 2015 at 11:49 am

While the writer had reasonable thoughts, she still clings to the “I believe in God” stance basically cos she feels it’s “safe”. Religion is a sham! Take a look at Nigeria, it’s so fucking obvious. You prayed for your brother and “God” answered. Guess what! Some people prayed and nothing happened!. Some didn’t pray and something happened!. You get a calm feeling too after a Yoga session!. people don’t want to take responsibility for their actions, they would rather pin it on the devil. Would rather say it was God’s will even when it’s obvious that it was out of sheer negligence, incompetence and stupidity. And again Shit happens! That is life, maybe it’s not even that “evil neigbour” of yours. Just cos you go to church, doesn’t make you a better person than me.! Don’t be so f-ing judgmental! Take credit for your actions! No amount of prayer will work for this country if the government don’t stop being so foolish and greedy!

• Graciemama

July 17, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Thanks for your comment. I’m not trying to be safe. Seven years ago, I prayed and cried for my uncle too who was very ill. He still died. I still cry till date anytime I remember. It doesn’t still mean that God does not exist. and there are so many things I’ve prayed for and nothing happened. It’s your opinion and I do respect and appreciate it.

11. yellow sissy

July 17, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Faith without good work is dead.

12. bruno FIERCE

July 17, 2015 at 12:26 pm

be truthful to yourselves. how many percentage of ur prayers get answered by “god”

• Me

July 17, 2015 at 2:34 pm

GO AWAY…..I refuse to resort to insulting you, let people be, let them believe in what they want to believe in, it’s a choice… Stop this stupid and continuous there is no God propaganda

#aHausaChickinToronto

• mrs chidukane

July 17, 2015 at 3:01 pm

A lot Bruno, a whole lot. You don’t know what the power of God can do.

• Asake

July 17, 2015 at 9:27 pm

I have been told several times,prayers are answered in three ways
      1. You get what you asked for
      2. You get something better or something else because what you prayed for might be harmful or painful in the long run.
      3. You get something better in the hereafter. Yes i believe in life after.

All my prayers are answered.

13. fleur

July 17, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Praying is not the only solution to a positive outcome. You need faith or your prayer is just desperate rambling. So please don’t judge or conclude about the power of prayer until you are able to measure level of faith and then do a prospective study. Also, God created everyone with purpose. Sometimes, when we don’t pray and we succeed its because we are yet to fulfill that purpose. Then there is the Issue of generational blessings or curses. Some people have redemption that ties back to ancestors’ relationship with God. it could also be ill luck from the sin s of an ancestor- for those of you marrying politician’s Kids, check their closets well well and start binding and casting like no tomorrow- deeper life style. he he he

14. bruno FIERCE

July 17, 2015 at 12:38 pm

there’s a particular quote from the bible that is so stupid and vexes the hell out of my soul

“heaven helps tgose who help themselves”
    WHAT!!!
    so what of people who cant help themselves. what of people who are helpless, heaven isnt going to help them abi.

u religious people continue in ur stupidity. thats why oyedepo has an empire, because of many of u nigeria’s ignorance and desperation.

science foumd the cure for malaria, science found the cure/vaccine of polio and in some few years science will find the cure for HIV. I hope when scientists finally find the cure for hiv, u silly christains wouldn’t start saying thank god, god is great, god is the one that gave them the cure blah blah blah. cause thats how u christains are. when something good happens u start to say its god that did it.

nepa brings the light, its god that did it. LOOOOOOOOOL

• Jade

July 17, 2015 at 1:13 pm

That quote is not in the Bible for your information. By that singular statement you’ve just shown your lack of understanding for this topic.Read your Bible before you comment on what is or is not in it please. And we practise relationship with God you are speaking of religion which you clearly don’t understand either. Please do us all a favour and research well before you start talking.

• bruno FIERCE

July 17, 2015 at 1:42 pm

okay let me rephrase my statement

” there’s a particular quote u christains like to throw about that is
      so stupid and vexes the hell out of my soul
      “heaven helps tgose who help themselves”
      WHAT!!!
      so what of people who cant help themselves.
      what of people who are helpless, heaven isnt
      going to help them abi.”

oya answer me. mumus.

I know u people have been waiting for the day perfect bruno FIERCE will make a mistake but its not going to happen not today

• Funmilola

July 17, 2015 at 1:27 pm

You try so hard to sound intelligent……but no you are not.
      Ignorance of the highest level.

• Bae

July 17, 2015 at 1:34 pm

See how you just opened your foolishness to the world. That quote isnt from the bible. Even if you dont believe in God, at least try small to be wise.
      Wisdom is not specific to religion.

• Hadassah

July 17, 2015 at 11:48 pm

Gracie… Lovely write up… apt and thought provoking

@Bae… Thanks for your comment
      @BrunoFierce… Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
      :p

• Ann

July 17, 2015 at 1:55 pm

That quote is actually not in the bible.

• Frosh?

July 17, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Hi Bruno,
      The fact that you don’t believe in God doesn’t stop him from existing, from the imaginary bible verse you quoted above its obvious you have very little knowledge of the bible, please if the post is no of interest to you, you are not obliged to comment. Thanks

• Me

July 17, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Why target only Christians though, are you afraid of Muslims??? fool….. GO AWAY and I pray you get what you truly deserve for fervently hating on God

#AHausaChickInToronto

• dumebi

July 17, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Bruno that quote is not from the bible. its just a common saying.

15. Graciemama

July 17, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Bruno, there is nowhere in the bible where it is ever written that “heaven helps those who help themselves”. Except you have seen it, please tell us the version, chapter and verse so we can know.
    Inasmuch as I am trying to learn how to respect people’s opinions, I think you should lay your arguments with facts as religion is a very sensitive topic. Thanks

• Ross

July 17, 2015 at 2:54 pm

@Graciemama – Word of advice, BrunnoFierce is not to be taken seriously!!!!!
      Don’t even bother.

• Dr. N

July 17, 2015 at 4:05 pm

He said , answer me mumus! If u r not, let him be pls

16. BlackCoffee

July 17, 2015 at 1:06 pm

The Bible never says heaven helps those who help themselves. Always have an informed opinion. Your issue is knowing God condemns homosexuality. You feel shunned and this is your expression of it. I know so many gays like you. You fail to grasp that God condemns what you do but He loves you. I hope you see that some day.

• bruno FIERCE

July 17, 2015 at 1:54 pm

@blackcoffee. there u go again. who told u im a man to begin with.

• Tincan

July 19, 2015 at 4:44 pm

I am so with you. When I think of the majority of anti God/Christ statements here, I come to the realisation that a lot of these people actually do not, not believe He exists but rather are very angry with Him for varying reasons.

17. bruno FIERCE

July 17, 2015 at 1:25 pm

okay the bible didnt say that, scrap that. but dont ignore my point. typical christains. will always run away from the issue

18. gbemie.o

July 17, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Looool bruno I thought u were well read one would think d fact dt u condemn smthing so much means u hv carried out ur research dt phrase is NOT in d Bible so u hv been bitter over nothing…..pele o

19. bruno FIERCE

July 17, 2015 at 1:34 pm

okay I was wrong about the quote, but pls dont run away from the point I was trying to make. as usual u will cherry pick my comments.

just at them, they are trying to discredit me so quickly because I made a mistake. why are u people u this blog afraid of me so much. u people are afraid of my point of view that’s why u will always look for fault in my comments.

I said I made a mistake. scrap that part but still answer my questions. cause u can’t.

20. bruno FIERCE

July 17, 2015 at 1:40 pm

okay let me rephrase my statement

” there’s a particular quote u christains like to throw about that is
    so stupid and vexes the hell out of my soul
    “heaven helps tgose who help themselves”
    WHAT!!!
    so what of people who cant help themselves.
    what of people who are helpless, heaven isnt
    going to help them abi.”

oya answer me. mumus.

• Godwina

July 17, 2015 at 7:07 pm

I am not a mumu I am sure you are not either. You have your opinions as we all do. Despite the fact many insult you and you insult others God still loves you(not your sin )whether you or others like it or not. “Heaven helps those….” isn’t inthe Bible nor is Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

God’s ways are not our ways. Why get vexed? Give your life Christ don’t die in sin and find out it is too late.

God bless

• Dr.Seyi

July 20, 2015 at 1:30 pm

You are asking the wrong people about that statement. It is not a statement that “most christians use”, a lot of people use that phrase.
      God helps everyone who asks for His help, even unbelievers, …”ask and you shall receive”
      And before you go about saying that God does not heal diseases, you should try praying and let us know if it works. Everyone who has commented here is able to comment because they have a testimony. If you have not tried praying, then you cannot prove that it does not work.
      Please come back when you try it (by the way, you also need to believe for your prayers to be answered)
      God bless you

21. Fortula

July 17, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Bruno you are one hell of a bitter person. bless you child and I hope you find the peace you obviously lack. God did not do anything to you, please calm down.

22. Fola

July 17, 2015 at 2:28 pm

@Gracemama i’m confused here. How is Religion a sensitive topic?.

23. Josh

July 17, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Christianity to me is a relationship, between me and my father. Prayer is me talking to him about everything…now sometimes I’ll have to tell him that I need a new pair of shoes or clothes or that my lecturer is annoying but that’s all in the conversation.
    Sometimes I get what I want then other times it doesn’t work that way, I accept every outcome believing that he sees the entire picture and knows best.
    Christianity is based on trust and faith… Our society is bad, our government is corrupt and our systems don’t work well, prayers won’t solve those, getting our arse to work will but even as we try to better our society we know that we can never overemphasize the place of God.
    God answers prayers, and no matter how long we debate it some people will still not believe…

24. Tunmi

July 17, 2015 at 2:35 pm

I don’t believe in God, and I agree with @girlbeingreal. Shit happens. Some people pray and good things happen, some people pray and bad things happen. Correlation does not equal causation. Frankly, I see it as a therapy session. I’m reminded of Tito’s post on losing her baby, and many people posted and they had a therapy session speaking on their experiences. Majority of the comments were religious in nature which alienates those who have gone through an experience but aren’t religious, but it’s fine. It was cathartic.

The problem of Nigeria is it’s people, from those in high governance to those in low governance. Now there are some who do the right thing but they are few in number. I applaud the everyday folks who maintain their integrity and I applaud those who have found a way to make a difference: wecyclers and slum2school for instance. If you removed religion from Nigeria, you’d see the people’s true colors.

• Stephanie-feld

July 17, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Truer words have never been written.

25. shelovesGod

July 17, 2015 at 2:43 pm

i think I will start putting you into my prayers. seriously.

26. Delta geh

July 17, 2015 at 2:43 pm

First time commenter here,
    Bruno Fierce or whatever you call yourself I have been seeing all your comments insulting religious people and I thought maybe you were one of those atheists who have weighed both sides in an informed manner but you have proven how ignorant you are. It is a pathetic someting. How about you get educated before you start making silly comments. People like you have never experienced what it is like to know God and then you start making silly/ignorant comments about those of us who have.
    I went through or have been going through depression and it made me really question the existence of God but you know what God came through for me in a way I have never experienced. I would be having some really bad thoughts and then I would pray and then open my Bible. So many times, the first passage I opened directly addressed those thoughts, answered those questions and I was able to relax. Science could not have gotten me out of that hole without medications (not to say you shouldn’t go to a therapist… if it works for you, go ahead!). People like us don’t use God as an excuse for everything, we live and breathe God. This is how we survive in life. So before you start spewing out ignorant things, educate yourself.
    nna Peace and love!

• Asake

July 18, 2015 at 3:56 pm

@gia please quote rightly. Assumption is part of bad behaviour. We all have extremist in our religion. May God guide those who are away from the path back to the right one

Quran 60 verse 8 -9

60: 8
      Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes – from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly.

60:9
      Allah only forbids you from those who fight you because of religion and expel you from your homes and aid in your expulsion – [forbids] that you make allies of them. And whoever makes allies of7them, then it is those who are the wrongdoers.

If truly ISIS and Boko Haram are fighting religious war. Why are they killing fellow muslims?What happened to some basic rules

1: Fight only those who expel you from your home or fight you because of religion?
      2. when a fight most take place some people have to be excluded and protected – kids, women, aged people, animal plants and tree.

And the best of Jihad is Jihad against one’s self. Fight yourself to become better muslim.

May God forgive us from whatever we have said that’s wrong and misleading

27. gia

July 17, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Please,deep down we all know that Nigeria would be better off if atheism took over!
    All my life,in my interactions with nigerians, i’ve observed how religion and superstition have impacted their lives to the point of ridiculousness!
    I’ve seen wives who live with violent spouses fasting and praying god “to touch their husbands’ heart”instead of running away because “god hates divorce”,i’ve seen people treating their church pastors like demigods and giving them their hard-earned money instead of using it to better their lives,i’ve seen people with serious diseases acting like a prayer would solve anything!
    And i could go on and on and on!
    But since Nigerians just don’t want to take a rational approach to simple life matters, all this madness is not going to end anytime soon!
    -.-

• Giant Of Africa

July 17, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Wow, how I wish I could like your comment a million times over! You are spot on!

Nigerians refuse to clean a breeding ground for mosquitoes, yet when they get malaria, they run to prayer for help, ignoring the real cause of malaria, which is the unclean environment. Another one, they want to go on a long trip, rather than check to make sure tyre pressure and car is conducive for a long trip?, no!, they’ll ignore all the car checks before embarking on that trip, but fast and pray for “journey mercy” like they call it! “Stupid as stupid does”.

My Naija people, na wa oooooh!

I think a lot of our problem is due to “intellectual laziness”; Unfortunately, the people leading the country are product of this Naija mentality, hence our continuous suffering in the mist of plenty!

• gia

July 18, 2015 at 11:09 am

intellectual laziness!

FINALLY someone who understands!

• Godwina

July 17, 2015 at 6:59 pm

May you not get a disease or cancer or be at death’s door ehere you have to eat your words. God heals and He is real, this I know deep down in my heart. Atheism will lead to you hell real quick.

• gia

July 18, 2015 at 11:07 am

*sigh*

• molarah

July 17, 2015 at 8:13 pm

No it won’t, and I challenge you to do your personal research to see why. We can’t resort to all these throwing-the-baby-with-the-bathwater techniques every time something does not seem right. Have you tried to find out why those people you mentioned behave the way they do – is there any real justification for their behaviour in the scriptures or are they not just showing the out workings of a heart that is not ready to submit to God? If people use religion as a cloak for bad behaviour, in spite of the fact that the religion itself expressly states that they must be good, how is the religion then indicted? Let’s focus on where the problem is – the heart.

• gia

July 18, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Molarah,what you’re saying is very moving and i can somewhat understand where you’re coming from but the truth is that,and i’m very sorry to say this,religion and bad behaviour in too many nigerians go hand in hand…few years ago i used to go to a church where there was a woman who used to criticize women who wore short skirts with passion…this was the same person who secretely offered my mother (AND ME!!!i was 19 at the time)money to marry his brother who wanted to illegally immigrate in italy(i don’t know where you live but here in italy this can put you in jail)…the very pastor who used to lead that church ran away with a huge sum of money…and the one who is leading the church now basically threw my mom out because she refused to submit to a pastor who is clearly there only for the economical advantages…! -.-

“If people use religion as a cloak for bad behaviour”

When they are not using god as a cloak for bad behaviour the they use the devil which is also a product of religion! “it was the work of the devil” is one of nigerians’ favourite sentences! -.-

“in spite of the fact that the religion itself expressly states that they must be good”

Eeehh…paese che vai tradizioni che trovi…in italian this basically means that “good” is a very relative concept depending on where you are…the quran clearly states that muslims should fight the infidels and this is what those crazy psycopaths (isis,boko haram and so on…)are doing…the igbos killed twins because that was considered “good” in their religion…the bible says that killing witches is a good thing and we all know what this has caused…
      If i were to choose between waiting for nigerians to open their eyes and see how stupid is their behavoiur is(something that would probably take centuries.. -.-)and atheism, that would quickly open their eyes and make them face their responsabilities, i would choose the second possibility!

28. bruno FIERCE

July 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm

see them, they have come to roast. lol

everybody around me caught malaria except me. so god loves u more than everybody abi.

continue in ur stupidity.

we are all born atheist. if our parents didn’t force us to go to church or mosque when we were younger many of us will never believe in god today.

brainwashing starts from a tender age. many of u are damged I swear. even if they show u evidence u will not still believe. u will continue to obey that bible the white man forced on u. even the white manthat gave u that bible has stopped believing in it.

no matter how much u pray any bad thing that is suppose to happen will happen. if ur parents are suppose to die today, they will die. if u didnt read, u will fail that exam, if u dont work hard u cant progress in ur job. I have said my own.

• Seer

July 20, 2015 at 2:00 am

Bruno Fierce. Hotter than Fire, Sharper than blade…lol. I sincerely pray you do not give up the ghost in the state you are right now.

I understand your predicament, you’ve been through a lot. You felt God failed you. You once knew God and you were brought up knowing Him but something happened and you denied his existence because you felt if that could happen then this God you were brought up knowing must be unreal. (Don’t fight it, you know the truth).

You see, the devil wanted to get you and just like Job, he sifted you in the most disastrous ways but unlike Job, you let him get you.

I’m not perfect myself. I’ve also questioned this “God” (his ways and not his existence), but whether we believe his existence or not, it doesn’t change his faithfulness. And trust me Bruno Fierce, God is still giving you time to come back to Him, because a time will come when your comments won’t appear on BN again and everybody will wonder where Bruno Fierce disappeared to, People that are not even as opinionated about the non existence of God as you have gone beyond never to return. Here you are, breathing, enjoying life, not knowing you are just buying time.

29. tade

July 17, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Hmmmm,I believe in God and He is still in the business of answering prayers.Things has been good for my family until recently.I have been looking for job for the past years and my sister got divorced,different surgeries etc.Anyway,a pastor prayed for me and told me my mother has offended a pastor and God is not happy with my mum,thatz why we are all going through hard time but I went to my bible,God is not a mean God and the pastor kept telling me that there was a barren woman,and all the pastors went to pray for her and she really entertained them,There was a revelation for the woman,dat God is behind her barreness but bcos she fed His people,He will open her womb.
    The moment I heard,I ran with my head.God is good and He makes things possible in His own time.I promised myself I will not go to any pastor to pray for me bcos being alive today is by His grace and mercy.God bless us all.

30. tade

July 17, 2015 at 6:42 pm

So BN team,my comments does not make sense abi.

31. Bee

July 17, 2015 at 8:09 pm

So much ignorance in one person,,,I feel for you BRuno. Sad much….BTW can BN team have a segment where they feature their commenter,like just profile them,there are lots of interesting people here I want to read about.

32. Sandy

July 17, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Ooh Bruno Bruno..boy girl man woman whichever one u are I really pray God helps u. Where do I start to tell u of so many testimonies of healing either through prayer or just being in His presence. SS turning AA hiv positive to negative.etc Jesus heals. God is a GOOD God! Have faith ..believe..

33. igho

July 18, 2015 at 1:05 am

I believe in God.
    He is everything yo me

34. mabel

July 20, 2015 at 8:31 am

All that fills my soul is Jesus. He is more than life to me. And the fairest of ten thousand. God is REAL. Only a fool says there’s no good. Keep wallowing in your foolishness.

35. jude agu

July 21, 2015 at 1:18 am

All i can say is, if you believe, keep on believeing. And if you do not believe, it’s your choice.
    I have lived in America for aproximately 20 years, and i’ve seen a lot of people who say they don’t believe in God. Even big movie stars. It’s their right. I believe in God the father, and i believe in His son jesus. We as a people, do some times pray for the things that we can work for. I personally believe that God has given us everything that we need to be comfortable in life, but it’s up to us to find the key to open the store house.
    I do not blame the leaders in Nigeria, because they do not know any better. You may think they do, but i think they don’t. Because, if they know better, they will do better, and if they do better, everyone will be happy, including they themselves.

36. jude agu

July 21, 2015 at 1:30 am

I don’t think it’s okay to call people names due to their belief.
    Name calling in an issue that concern God, i think is wrong. If you are a believer, pray for the eyes
    of understanding of these people to be open, that they may see that which you see, and only
    then will they understand what you are talking about. So people, please stop the name calling,
    it’s not Godlike. Stay blessed.

37. deola

July 21, 2015 at 4:39 am

Its obvious bruno is “”angry with God””. God truly exists, and i am a living withness. In bed and at the point of death in my husband’s arms. We prayed and here i am 6months after doctors only tell me “”madam i am surprised”” when i go for medical check up.

38. Stephen

July 21, 2015 at 7:47 am

I believe in God, but there’s more to God than prayers. It’s a relationship thing. I understand Gracie’s point of view. It is appalling that the most people that claims to be believers in God are in the fish and bread category (Jesus fed the multitude) hence the only thing they believe God for is fish and bread. Someone mentioned something about testimonies, its sad that we often misappropriate testifying, instead we show off. Imagine someone who was testifying about a bigger generator (to what end?). Nowadays, preaching is no longer about Christ but about church, how my church is better than yours and how my pastor is bigger than yours. Until we all individually find a relationship with God, it will still be about what we can get from God. Bruno made a very valid point, a lot of so called christians fits the generation of vipers description, that does not make all religious people vipers. Let’s kill corruption before corruption kills Nigeria, a popular phrase lots of christian use now, however the definition of corruption changes when one uncle somewhere is part of the corruption and you are benefitting from the proceeds in terms of school fees, holidays, gifts etc. It is a complex issue hence, solving it begins from YOU.

39. makis

July 22, 2015 at 10:07 am

@ Brunofierce read the bible to help you decide. I understand wen u say Christians re wicked but understand that we are accountable for our actions not who we believe in. There’s a verse in d bible that says I lay before you life and death, it’s den ur choice to make. Everything boils down to what you choose. And in regards to your question, who do you regard as helpless? There is no helpless person, but there are a lot of lazy people. Let’s move on, the air you breathe to live now was invented by science right? The seed that spills out after u wank was made by science ?the ability to be unconscious for 12 hours every night and still wake up healthy in d morning too is science Abi? The sun that rises every morning and sets every night like clockwork is a science project? The miracle of one watery sperm nd an egg creating a being can also be science? Let’s not fool ourselves God is not mocked for whatsoever a man sows he will reap..God is love but he is also a consuming fire.

40. Prince

July 22, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Religion Kills but Christianity doesn’t and for the information of some of us, CHRISTIANITY is not a religion, IT IS THE LIFE OF GOD IN MAN.

And Bruno, you have to be very very careful when it comes to God, believe it or not HE EXIST and He can do anything and incase you’re still doubting if He can cure diseases, He can, He’s done it before and He’ll keep doing it. The Bible tells me that “All things are possible to Him that believes”. BTW, you can tell me where the air you breathe comes from.

Yes, we ask God for things we are not suppose to but believe me honestly, he hears. Matthew 7:7 gives a clear answer to that.