Features

Jidenna pens Open Letter, “To All My Nigerian Brothers and Sisters”

Jidenna & his FatherTo all my Nigerian brothers and sisters…

I am, always have been, and always will be proud of my Nigerian heritage. I understand the pain and anger caused by some of the comments I made in a recent interview, and I wanted to address you directly. Contrary to popular belief, this interview was not the first in which I mentioned Nigeria. In fact, I’m frequently bragging about how Nigerians attend the world’s most prestigious institutions, and how we are known to produce world class doctors, entrepreneurs, innovators, lawyers, engineers, professors, athletes and artists. Unfortunately, people tend to leave these moments out, and, in this case, highlight stereotypes. I would never do or say anything to intentionally disgrace the legacy of my father nor my fatherland. But to not relay my own story, both the good times and the bad, would be a disservice.

My name is Jidenna, which means “to hold or embrace the father” in Igbo. It was my father who gave me this name and who taught me countless parables, proverbs, and principles that made me the man I am today. These same principles helped me to write the record “Classic Man.” When I brought home a 98 percent on a test, my father would say, “ah ah, where are the other two points? Go and get them, then bring them back.” My father and Nigerian culture has always stood for excellence. While the majority of my childhood memories are beautiful, I also have experienced the challenges that Nigeria has faced since Independence.

When I was 5 years old, my family was robbed at gunpoint, my mother was beaten, family members were kidnapped, and I was shot in my foot. As is the case with all kidnapping, targeting those who are perceived to be wealthy is the objective. In this instance, my father was the target because of his prominence in the community. This was a traumatic experience for my family that would shape our entire lives and our experiences in both Nigeria and America. As a little boy, I swore that I would never let that happen to my family again. As my father often said, “Once you’re bitten by a snake, you‘ll be ready to shoot a lizard!” At the time of my father’s burial 5 years ago, my family in the village was concerned about increased targeting for kidnapping since the rate of abductions had increased dramatically in the area we are from. We were traveling from America, which along with our biracial appearance, had the potential to attract attention and pose a threat to our security. In light of what happened in the past and the tense climate at the time, my family took precautions to ensure our safety. This was not an uncommon protocol at the time. I recognize incidents such as these are not unique to Nigeria or the African continent, and there have been significant improvements in the region since this period.

In the recent interview to which I’ve been referring, I shared my family’s experience traveling from the States back home for the burial. In this interview, I used the term “light-skinned.” When using this term, I was actually referring to my immediate family’s mixed or biracial appearance. See, no matter what language I use to describe my heritage, I’m certain that someone will feel some kind of way. This is a larger discussion not meant for this statement, but certainly derives from our colonial past and postcolonial present, and in the States, from the days of slavery to the present times. My comments about skin tone were related to the notion of perceived wealth and value, not my personal beliefs. My point was never to imply that biracial or “light-skinned” people are the only ones or the most targeted group of people kidnapped, or that I myself was wealthy at the time. Rather than focus on my perceived value, let us continue to focus on the value of Nigeria.

There is no question that Africa is playing a pivotal role in the future of our planet and that Nigeria, with it’s booming economy and burgeoning middle class, is a driving force. I will continue to play my role in the Renaissance taking place in Nigeria and Africa at large. We may not agree on everything, but know my heart is your heart, and my experience is part of our collective experience.

Source: Jidenna’s Website | Letter

1. dobzi

July 16, 2015 at 3:47 pm

That’s a very nice letter, well written

dobzifingers.com/?m=1

• Jideanna

July 16, 2015 at 4:51 pm

He just got a fan in me
      Well written

• Respextforjidenna

July 17, 2015 at 1:24 am

Nigerians love deception, which is the reason the country is sh*thole. Instead of addressing the truth, they will be offended that somebody insulted them. They keep covering up for these incompetent leaders, and will rather sit around, complain with their mouths than take action to make the country progress. They don’t hold each other accountable, the leadership is a reflection of Nigerians as a whole. How do you expect these leaders to do anything when you don’t lay out the truth to them. What Jidenna experienced is enough to have disdain for your father’s country. I’m full nigerian, and during my last visit 8 years ago. I had the most awful experience of armed robbers, cheating is, falling sick, etc I haven’t been back and don’t plan on going back to Nigeria. Jidenna is truly a classic man, if it was me my letter will be worst than the insult I received for telling my opinion.

• Rocksolid

July 18, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Stfu. You still dont see that his sticking point of superiority is baswd on false perception. Jidenna may be popular but there are many darkskinned Nigerians far richer than him. This guy is dumb. SO are you.

• Jas

July 18, 2015 at 9:09 pm

This boy is full of excuses. He said he did not mean to ‘imply’? How foolish does he really think Nigerians are? He did not imply, he DIRECTLY stated that

“when you are light skin(not wealthy etc) you are a heavier target”, he also said ” growing up light skin in Nigeria is difficult , you are treated badly because you are lightskin but here in the states you are perceived as being privileged”

Where in those statements does he imply/coyly state the opposite? Correct me if I’m wrong somebody. Did this boy not allegedly attend Stanford? Surely he can put two sentences correctly. This sounds like he’s making excuses. How about I’m sorry for saying light skin people are treated better, that was foolish and uninformed and I should have done better. I apologize. Than this long winded excuse he put together

• Nikki

July 17, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Nigerians! Always moved by words and show minimal regard for actions. Nigerians! Forever drowning in short-term memories. Lessons from the past will never be learned by Nigerians. As long as you compose a well-structured letter, speak with eloquent vocabulary, smile with teeth for days, fill your eyes with tears, etc., Nigerians will be sure to forget the past and embrace you like you are a Messiah.

The same guy that created a false misrepresentation of the country concerning light skinned folks to the world was rightly schooled initially by the Nigerian nation. The atrocities faced by Nigerians in Nigeria are not about skin color, but about societal prominence and wealth (except you’re full blown white, then OYO). The man who spoke with such confident ignorance has now released a beautifully worded letter of apology and Nigerians are showcasing their short term memories and their love for big grammar by embracing him again.

An apology shouldn’t just stop with a letter. Firstly, the letter should acknowledge that the writer understands where the issue lies and own up to his faults and misguidance in the said issues. In this case, he still doesn’t get it! Security in Nigeria is one of the worst ever, agreed! But the color of your skin as a Nigerian has very minimal role in the lacking security of that nation. Secondly, you need to follow up on the letter. Go do more interviews and confess that you may have exaggerated or misconstrued the ways of the country. That is the real apology.

Your perception about the way things work may not really be how things work. Apologies for the earlier trauma your family went through, but a lot of dark-skinned folks can testify to the same. It is understandable that you’re trying to find your place within the hip-hop culture of America, but using your light-skinned AK47 commando story to convince the rap/hip-hop community that you’re a gangster (but a classic one) and should be accepted is weak.

But you are a lucky man, because as long as you keep making a fool of Nigerians, they will keep forgiving you as long as you keep writing letters of “apology”.

• Le

July 18, 2015 at 9:21 pm

You are absolutely right! Nigerians should not get carried away by his very long non direct ‘apology’ maybe he realized Nigeria is a good market and decided not to get them on his bad side

2. Daisi

July 16, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Jidenna – Love your article. Its all good, we love you and continue to root for your success

3. Chyoma

July 16, 2015 at 3:49 pm

well said Jidenna. Extremely pleased you shared this letter with us….

4. Irritated

July 16, 2015 at 3:51 pm

We honestly don’t care….

• Me

July 16, 2015 at 4:02 pm

You don’t care because you are a moron, insensitive piece of sh*t!

• Wale

July 16, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Abah nah, ?that is a bit too much abuse! Be civil- we are all entitled to some opinion. Even Mr. Jidenna and family didnt insult the poor commentator like this…

• FinchleysFinest

July 16, 2015 at 4:20 pm

Always irritated… go and drink Kunu… But why do people just comment like Akpos?

• charles

July 16, 2015 at 4:25 pm

You care. . .else, you won’t be here

• Mama

July 17, 2015 at 8:03 am

You don’t care cos u are one of the morons who have been insulting him….Is it not true that people have suffered kidnapping cos they are perceived to be rich? Some of us travel and are exposed so being mixed race is not perceived as a big deal but yes some people look at them and feel they will be rich cos they are mixed race…I.e one parent is oyibo so must be rich and any one who lives abroad is rich blablabla.. Same way people perceive girls who are mixed race as always more beautiful…… Whether we admit it or not some people still have these perceptions….. He spoke from his own personal experience….. I know full blooded Igbo men who don’t go to their villages often cos of this kidnapping ish, even if they do they go with armed men…..he might have exergerated don’t we all? It’s the insults and hypocritical comments that made him respond……u don’t care but read the article…

• keren

July 17, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Well I do dollface.. so speak for yourself ??

5. amy

July 16, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Awwwwwww my brother… Nowi understand…no offense

6. daniella

July 16, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Biko Park well

7. Changing Faces

July 16, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Hahahaha, he took to time to assuage his brothers and sisters… although I didn’t get what the big uproar was about last weekend, truth is that part of the interview sounded quite ignorant. Anyways, this shows that you value your heritage, to be concerned what we think. iLike you already jor! Off to download Classic Man…

8. shady

July 16, 2015 at 3:58 pm

It’s ur story , in ur own word s. Tell it as u wish people will always point out the bad things whilst forgetting d good that has been said. We are all aware of dangers in Nigeria u did what u have to do to protect ur family.

9. bruno FIERCE

July 16, 2015 at 4:04 pm

dear jidenna, why do u need to explain ur self to nigerians. of all people to explain yourself to for that matter. long hisss. u dont owe anybody any explanations. these are what u experienced in nigeria and u should say it as it is, no sugar coating.

nigeria is a useless country full of awful people who deserve what they get. corruption daily bombings ethnic violence etc nigerians deserve all of it cause they are awful people. bad people deserve bad things.

nigerians hate it when somebody says the truth about them and their country. THIS COUNTRY IS AWFUL. THERE IS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT THIS COUNTRY OR THE PEOPLE IN IT.

they kidnap people here and there in this country.things have not improved at all. once its 7 o’ clock everybody starts locking their reinforced iron gates and doors.

• geeeeee

July 16, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Who are the frustrated, depressed and shattered nigerian morons that always like your comments????????

• Scared homosapien

July 16, 2015 at 6:05 pm

The same ones that liked your comments too. Leave Bruno alone jor.

• Omotee

July 17, 2015 at 7:32 am

Toh thank you o!!! Are people pressing the like button for fun or they actually like the crop he wrote? If it’s the latter, we are in deeper mess than I even envisaged.

• kim

July 16, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Gay people are disgusting.

• Ruler

July 16, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Bruno, calm down. The wires are touching. Calm down.

• Princess

July 16, 2015 at 8:01 pm

See bitterness! Complain till you die. You’ll will always be Nigerian ??? Its because we won’t allow you and your boyfriend f*** yourselves that’s why you’re ranting like a goat on heat.
      As for you Jidenna we love you too. But, as you know our people, no matter how high you go, if you misbehave consciously or unconsciously, we would have to call you to order. It shows our Nigeria brother(your father) did not disappoint in regards to your upbringing. Keep it up! And yes! You’re classy man?☺️??

• ACE

July 16, 2015 at 8:29 pm

@Bruno fierce something is seriously wrong with you, I think you are sick. Please mind what you say, its obvious u are miserable. Get a life!

• imagine

July 16, 2015 at 9:57 pm

And you are the no one useless person in Nigeria. The president of all useless and bad nigerians. I do not lock my doors at 7.0 pm nor have i ever being kidnapped. Its America with serial killers, child molestors, random shootings and same sex marriages that is safe okwaya? Mumu squared! Nothing do you Jidenna, carry go!

• raydar

July 17, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Well said…. Nigerians are jus born haterzz…. The dude said the truth…. Get over it…he’s a nice chap for even clarifying his words..

10. Seyi

July 16, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Just downloaded classic man remix, I appreciate this letter and I see u in a better light. So when u go come Lagos make we pop champagne

11. Engoz

July 16, 2015 at 4:20 pm

You are forgiven, lol. Kidnapping in Nigeria is dependent on how wealthy you are. People coming from abroad are always perceived as wealthy whether white/dark/light black, or just the mere information of having rich and prominent relatives would make you a prime target for the kidnappers. For example Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s father was recently kidnapped.

Also, you can see how BET reported your statement ‘Jidenna Faced Kidnapping Threats in Nigeria for Being Light-Skinned’ and we can just imagine how the typical black american would interpret that statement, meanwhile we Nigerians know that these kidnappings are purely money driven.

12. Toyosi

July 16, 2015 at 4:21 pm

I have nothing but utmost respect for a person who realises that their actions offended others and makes the effort to apologise and clarify things. Jidenna, you truly are a classic man.

13. Labib

July 16, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Wonderful , he would win a lot of good heart with this.. And the bad belle would always continue to hate Tho.. It’s there job on earth… Forward on bro.. Live your live & we know you never forgot your root. Very well constructed

14. mrs chidukane

July 16, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Lovely piece.

• mrs chidukane

July 16, 2015 at 4:28 pm

What am I even saying? He changed some of the things he said in his first interview but I’m happy he addressed the issue.

15. winneR

July 16, 2015 at 4:26 pm

While I’m glad u felt d need to explain d condenscending mess of an interview,I don’t buy ur sincerity.Igbo’s are widely known to b fair skinned,so d whole skintone reason is bullocks.Playing the biracial or wealthy card fits the bill more.Wishing u future media wisdom.

• cryingneversolvedanything

July 16, 2015 at 5:32 pm

stop that igbo fair skinned lie. His father is Igbo and is dark, same as Jim Iyke, Genevieve, Emeka Ike, Bella Naija CEO and a host of others. Igbos are not fair skinned. Just a minute percentage like the minute percentage in Esan and Auchi

• Igbo

July 17, 2015 at 12:01 am

Lol you mad or nah? You mentioned about 5 dark skin Igbo’s and the CEO of Bella Naija is light lol. At least 40% of Igbos are light skin Phyno, Mike Ezeruonye, Monalisa Chinda, Bianca Ojukwu, Adaeze Igwe, Oguchi Onyewu, Munachi Abi, Nnamdi Asomugha, Chiwetel Ejiofor and a host of others bitch

• gesky

July 17, 2015 at 8:19 am

Omg why is it difficult for you to understand a passage. It’s obvious he’s mum ain’t Nigerian…arrrgh

16. tolu

July 16, 2015 at 4:28 pm

honestly, i’m soo tempted to say “park well jorr” (okay i said it. lool) but honestly, I (we)- yes i’m speaking for everyone *straight face*- get him! More like i get where he was coming from. But truth be told again, when he made the statement initially, i dont thnk it was from a “good place” so to speak. But that he cares enough to address the issue, and correct our perception, was just noble. so yea… i’ll download classic man now 🙂

• CovertNigerian

July 16, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Haha…does download mean pay for and then download? Cos otherwise, it makes little difference to the artiste.

• Le

July 18, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Nigerians, really? So we are so glad and thankful that he acknowledged us? Wow. No self-respect? We are happy oyinbo pickin even ‘bothered’ ? Ok

17. Chris

July 16, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Wow! You’ve said enough. No matter how you try to shed light on the issue, some morons and crackheads will still try to talk sh*t about you. Don’t bother, they’ll soon eat their words. You’re one of the rare example of wisdom and humility. Keep the flag flying, bro and represent Naija to the fullest no matter where you find yourself. Stay blessed!

18. tish

July 16, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Awww, it’s a good thing he even cares how Nigerians feel. The letter makes things clearer, I was taken aback by that interview tbh. Nice one!

• Le

July 18, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Don’t we deserve the respect? See Nigerians all glad that he bothered to reply . Low class

19. TopNotch Diva

July 16, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Two words: CLASSIC MAN!
    My dear, just continue about your business. Make us proud!

20. olu

July 16, 2015 at 4:44 pm

“When I was 5 years old, my family was robbed at gunpoint, my mother was beaten, family members were kidnapped, and I was shot in my foot”

How would you feel about some destination if the above happened to you as a child?
    Talk true o…I know the truth is bitter

• cryingneversolvedanything

July 16, 2015 at 5:29 pm

being dense is a crime

• CovertNigerian

July 16, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Were you looking in a mirror when you typed this?

21. nonye

July 16, 2015 at 4:44 pm

well written, off to itunes

22. mabel

July 16, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Ok you’re forgiven. My love for you is back after going on leave for how many days now? Classic man.

23. Zelda

July 16, 2015 at 4:48 pm

@bruno fierce!,oh! Shea becouse your bread has no butter on it!, that’s y u rdissing on 9ja abi? Omashea’ o!

24. usaveone.blogspot.com

July 16, 2015 at 4:51 pm

We honestly care….ride on Jidennna!

25. Jideanna

July 16, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Just fell in love ps I am married but I can see the wonderful impact dad had

26. prince

July 16, 2015 at 4:54 pm

his cup of tea.

27. Jideanna

July 16, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Also sometimes damned if you do and damned if you don’t

28. natural hair

July 16, 2015 at 4:55 pm

biodefense.com/Pandemic-Preparedness-Episode-04.html
    Listen to this to prepare for Ebola. It may not be in your country but just be prepared for it Godforbid it actually does. Please Listen my people.

29. Frosh

July 16, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Nigerians are more concerned about their public image than the realities of the nation… Tsk tsk tsk. Jidenna, thank you for your apology but to my nigerian brothers and sisters that doesn’t change the state of the nation, let’s wake up and be the change that we want to see instead of struggling to present a pristine image to the world….

All the best Jidenna

diaryofacrazyblackgirl.blogspot.com

• Ona

July 16, 2015 at 5:47 pm

You are missing the freaking point! The uproar was because his initial interview sounded arrogant as his kept making reference to being of value in Nigeria cos he’s lightskinned and he tried to attribute the kidnapping issue to being lightskinned/mixed. Plus he said his family were the only lightskinned pple in the community. Some of u just love to extrapolate what u want and run with it. None had a problem witth his addressing the kidnapping issue or telling his story…its the false assumptions he made to be the reason that got me and others giving him the utmost side-eye.

• Frosh?

July 16, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Trust me, I’m not on Jidenna’s side, his interview was literally pish posh, I know that, I’m just saying the only reason we feel so hurt about this is because Jidenna is an artist in the west and Nigerians are too focused on creating a flawless image for the west because of their insecurities and desperate desire to be accepted in western culture. If Jidenna was a star in South Africa or Kenya, let’s say he was Kenyan-Nigerian, and we made this statement there, we won’t even be having this conversation because the article won’t make it on here.
      Truth is he is not that important, his comments are not that important either. We should rather focus our energies on thinking about how to fix, restructure our nation so we don’t have to hang on to the edge of our seats waiting for endorsements from someone who doesn’t even know who we are because we would have endorsed ourselves and our results, not someone’s flimsy opinions, will speak to the world for us!

• Engoz

July 16, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Nobody is denying our realities, nobody is denying the kidnappings, robbery, corruption etc. Nigerians are the first to demonize their country, but to limit the dexterity of these realities, in this case kidnapping and robbery to the premise of skin color is dishonesty at it’s best.

• mrs chidukane

July 17, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Engoz suppuud!

30. Naveah

July 16, 2015 at 4:56 pm

The soup don spoil already, this wan na medicine after death. Until your next interview, you will get the side eye. There are MANY atrocities happening in America, serial killers and rapists, con men and woman, armed burglary etc but I don’t see American stars giving interviews in Europe or anywhere else disparaging their country, they all spout the slogan “God Bless America”. And even if they have something to say, they put their concerns/opinions across diplomatically.

Do we know those issues exist in Nigeria? Sure! Do you have a right to share your experience in Nigeria? Sure! However, it is all in how you put it. You could have started off stating your experiences (in a diplomatic way) and closed off with what is great about the country thereby leaving the interviewer with a balanced and good impression rather than the ugly one you gave.

Please get someone to coach you in interview skills and you will get better in time. And for the love of GOD stop using the term MIXED BREED, you are not an animal. BIRACIAL is the correct term.

• bruno FIERCE

July 16, 2015 at 5:20 pm

” However, it is all in how you put it.”

you have spoken like a typical nigerian. u wanted him to sugar coat his painful experience in nigeria, why?
      what is bad is bad no matter the amount of sugar coating.

by the way what is good about nigeria, that u would have expected jidenna to say during the interview? or u wanted him to tell ties and say nigeria is a country flowing with milk and honey.

he should have stated the issues in a diplomatic way. a child that was shot in the foot when he was 5 years old, how do u explain that in a “diplomatic way”

• cryingneversolvedanything

July 16, 2015 at 5:27 pm

well, technically speaking he is an animal, a primate to be exact

31. ndubuisi

July 16, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Jidenna we have forgiving you now you can have your Nigerian card back and pls don’t screw up next time or the attack will even be worst. now go do some music collabo with some fellow Nigerian artist

• think about it

July 17, 2015 at 9:25 am

LOL!!!!

32. M

July 16, 2015 at 5:12 pm

In all of this matter I couldn’t look pass your hair Jidenna. That swirl or curl, brother lose that osiso. Pls take Brunos advice. Our people are awful wicked people . Yes it may be personal but I’m peeved because it hurts when people close to you betray you in envy. Evil wicked souls.

33. M

July 16, 2015 at 5:14 pm

That is a general statement. There are a handful of pure beautiful hearts the rest beware who you dine with or take a bullet for.

34. annie

July 16, 2015 at 5:23 pm

He sounds like a smart man who is willing to unlearn and relearn. i just thought his comments were ignorant and most likely exaggerated by his father to him about the situation in Nigeria. i know this because several parents do that here in USA which i find unfortunate. why don’t you teach your kids about your culture and its values instead. Nigeria no doubt is a sorry excuse for a country but not everything is bad. I think his letter to Nigerians shows he takes pride in his heritage which he has always acknowledged from day one. There are several other people in the world that don’t even mention it. I really like you Jidenna and hope you make it big.

35. iseemaths

July 16, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Dear BN,

Can you please give us a dislike button! Some ignorant/disgusting comments needs to be disliked. I read some things and i am prettified on the amount of hate oozing out of one person. Kindly discuss and thank me later. I know necolebitchie had thumbs down enabled in comment section before she closed down her blog.

BN Readers, if you secon this motion pls like maybe we can get BN to just do something.

iseemaths.

36. cryingneversolvedanything

July 16, 2015 at 5:26 pm

like my name suggests, crying never solved anything neither does this your letter. The damage has been done. This is just medicine after death and quite frankly your letter is still hammering on the crap you said earlier. So therefore, nwoke si eba puo make I see road.

37. Horlaiday

July 16, 2015 at 5:39 pm

B4 I even knew u were Nigerian. Loved classic man and ur performance in BET awards ws bravo. I beg dnt let Nigerians intimidate u. They say worse things about Nigeria! Greater heights!

38. Jidenna's future wife

July 16, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Come home to mama muah!

39. bn lover

July 16, 2015 at 6:08 pm

Ehhhhh,so u have joined them?? We will not see road again. Sincerely,Nigerians do not care,if u like apologise from now till next year,we will always ve something to say…..do u think u had d attack last week cause u lied? No,u did cause Nigerians know u r vulnerable and u will care……drink plenty water,live your life,mind ur business and leave Nigerians to their denial

40. Tony

July 16, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Ur Nigerian brothers and sisters…..na now u knw! nkita lacha kwa gi onu there.

Jidenna, I don’t blame u at all, Nigeria is full of evil. The fear of Nigeria is the beginning of wisdom.

Above all so nice of you, good to know you are back to your sense. E be like say your fine fine sisters don talk sense to your head
    NWA oma, go and sin no more.

41. mama mia

July 16, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Awwwww my classic man! Marry me already! Even though you didn’t need to explain yourself. Nigerians are only patriotic with words never by actions. Nigeria has its ups and downs unfortunately more downs, why should I only be allowed to speak of its good sides without voicing out our downsides. How do we learn? I tell whoever cares to listen be it “Oyinbo” Asians or other parts of Africa how wonderful Nigeria is as well as how sick our leaders are which is now rubbing off on its citizens… That’s how one lady said to me you should not say ill things about your country to these people. She’s Nigerian. Kpash! I’m proud to be Nigerian but will say things as they are if you no like am? Close ears. How long do we have to suffer in silence? Shebi it is on this blog BN features African voices by Cnn celebrating Africans achievement, how many comments does such info pull.? Almost nada! But Jidenna states his experience, suddenly we are the Nelson Mandelas of Nigeria. His name alone should let you know how proud he is to be Nigerian. Jidenna, Next time write/talk about how you needed to wear a bomb “averter” if there be any, just maybe it will draw the attention it needs. After all, we now blast ourselves or we don’t? Nonsense!!!

42. tunmi

July 16, 2015 at 7:10 pm

He still hasn’t learned. Bros, it had nothing to do with your half-casteness or your biracialness abi your light-skinnededness, na the blue pali and the prominence of your father.

43. Ada

July 16, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Jidenna u are a noble man. You owe no nitwits any explanation. When my dad was buried our house was like a fortress. My mum spent millions on the army navy vigilante name it. All security agencies were well represented just for a 3 day burial. Anambra state is horrible and a den for kidnappers. Villagers were ready to deal with us squarely in addition. The naysayers are bothered bcos u spoke the truth. Old women cringe when dry bones are mentioned in a proverb. Don’t worry yourselves about shallow clueless Nigerians. God speed my brother.

• Engoz

July 16, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Was it because you are light skinned you got security?

• mrs chidukane

July 17, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Lmao @ Engoz. I think many people just don’t get why people were upset with his interview.

44. BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

July 16, 2015 at 8:16 pm

NWAMNE, WE NOW UNDERSTAND YOU. GO’ON W WHAT YOU’RE DOING. WE WITH YOU. BLESSINGS………

45. Certifiable

July 16, 2015 at 8:36 pm

you are too cute I’ll forgive you anything sugar.

46. SOLO ACT

July 16, 2015 at 8:51 pm

he just needs to keep nigeria out of his mouth. he made people looks at us even more horribly, now we apparently kill light skin people. plz dont mention us again! bye!

• miss T

July 17, 2015 at 3:41 am

SOLO ACT! U r just De kind of Nigerian Bruno fierce is talking about. Sugar coat the truth bcos it’s BITTER! After everything that Jidenna has written/ explained, you still can’t be objective!
      IT’S HIS TRUTH NOT YOURS! I don’t even want to know about your own truth bcos it will just be sugar coated lies! Same as our politicians…reason why our country is damaged!

47. Deedara

July 16, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Well-written letter, comes across as very sincere. Well done, Jidenna. Your comments were inaccurate and misguided but they obviously came from a place of past traumatic experiences and possibly exaggerated comments made to you. You have obviously learned from this gaffe and I’m sure you won’t be making the same mistake in the future.
    As for those of you who were screaming for an apology and are still screaming yourselves hoarse now that he’s given you one, may the same measure of grace and forgiveness always be given to you as you have bestowed upon Jidenna. Why do we like to pretend? For all its blessings, Nigeria is a deeply, deeply troubled country, and anyone seeking to deny that is simply burying his or her head in the sand.

48. Tosin

July 16, 2015 at 9:06 pm

1. Nothing do you (tr.: u a’ight)
    2. The Leprechaun look is awesome in its way.
    3. Kendrick. Janelle. oh mennnn. rock it hard. big love.

49. REady

July 16, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Apology accepted.

50. nnenne

July 16, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Apologies accepted, Jidenna.
    You are indeed a classic man!
    Good luck with your music career.

51. Jollof

July 16, 2015 at 10:18 pm

All this Jidenna ‘oke had to do was whisper sweet little nothings, shower y’all with compliments and massage your egos. And just like that, he’s back in your good books.

Whoever said flattery never gets you anywhere… Clearly never met Nigerians.

52. maxine

July 16, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Very eloquent. You go Jidenna! Bless x

53. Jollof

July 16, 2015 at 11:23 pm

Oh @admin, did my comment hurt your feelings and bruise your fragile ego??

54. Nawa!

July 17, 2015 at 5:59 am

Actually it’s not 40% but 50%. Igbos have the highest percentage of light skins in Nigeria maybe apart from the fulanis. Being light skinned is no big deal in Igbo land, it’s Yorubas that make a big deal of light skinned girls! Hence the desperate need for them to bleach. If you’re beautiful you’re beautiful whether light skinned or dark skinned. How many light skin girls can stand beside Genevieve nnaji and say they are more beautiful or Yvonne okoro or Jackie Appiah, or Dakore Akande? Even Yvonne Jegede is more beautiful than most “light skinned ” I really don’t get all this light and dark skin fuss. Being light skinned is not advantageous in any shape or form to human existence.

55. Stephanie

July 17, 2015 at 6:15 am

Who is this Bruno guy? Why so hateful? You a Nigerian at all? You must be an awful person then. I can’t even……. As for Jidennna, I already liked your sappy music and you should be careful about your comments in future sha. As you can see, backlash is nasty. Xoxo!

56. zibaintl

July 18, 2015 at 5:13 pm

evryone writting comments dat Nigeria is dis dat dat dat………….wen its actually d citizens dat have made d country to be like dis….we are quick to point to politicians n have forgotten dat evryone including parents n grand parents hv contributed to d mess…….search your self to ascertain if u truly stick to your words as an individual,,,,,,,if your d type dat doesnt stick to ur words den u are one of d problems dis country has …….like d politicians….dey dnt stick to their words,,,,wen d citizens hv integrity n are accountable den we can in one voice demand accountability frm d leaders…………….

57. jluv

July 19, 2015 at 11:30 am

he is proud of his father, but not proud of were he hails from, i think he is a fool, cos what i could get from his so called open letter is just excuses and not apologies. he is still not gettin da point.

58. Chic-c

July 19, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Idk what all this long writing is for. If it’s your story tell it. Nigeria is not just same experience with everyone the same. Do you Jidenna

59. Alice Sule

September 27, 2015 at 1:33 pm

So cruel to shoot at a 5 year old. Most of you will express more hate for Nigeria if you suffered such at a tender age.

60. seyi

February 4, 2016 at 4:30 pm

which biracial features e get sef? This one we e get big nose like typical igbo man. Abe make he go sit down somewhere jare. I agree with your comment though…so no vex. But which wey e get sey dem shoot am for leg? shebi the papa na politician….ehen now thats y dem target their family….no be sey na because he face yellow.