Features

Peculiar Okafor: The Superiority of Snubbing All Things Nigerian

It was a friendly lunch when someone mentioned the ‘Neo’ character in the matrix, the conversation took a unique turn and I said ‘I really didn’t like that movie. Watched all the parts but I slept off for most of it. Just remebered some scenes to be socially correct cos then you couldn’t say you didn’t like the matrix.’

Not too long after that, someone asked about a Nigerian movie on the screen and I said: ‘It’s really old. Watched it in my first year,’ and then one of my friends said ‘I guess you didn’t sleep through this one’ and everybody laughed.

I responded in an irritated tone ‘I didn’t sleep through it because it provided a means to pass time. I slept through the Matrix because it bored me.  Surely I have the right to decide the movies that bore ME’ In anger I asked one of them what he really liked about the Matrix and he couldn’t give a clear answer.

The conversation then turned to the many things people do to be socially correct. Like saying The Matrix was one of the most brilliant movies of all time… even though you considered your physics text books more exciting than the movie . You couldn’t say it then for fear of being looked at like someone with a poor intellectual makeup, so you go with the crowd and mention the cliche scenes – ‘the red pill/blue pill’, lady in the red dress, etc..

My friends and I then went into detail about the following things:

“I do not watch Nigerian movies, gosh they’re so mediocre”  Somehow, Africa Magic has expanded to ‘Epic’ ‘Urban’ ‘World’ and the various languages. Please who are the people watching these movies? *raising my hand shyly* I do watch African Magic A LOT. With my mum in the house, you have no choice.
The ‘what’s that’ look people give to certain Nigerian foods you know they grew up eating– One of my favorite meals is okpa. I get irritated when friends see me eating my okpa and ask ‘what’s that’ with an eeew look. (Please do not eew my food thank you) The way Nigerians get excited over some foreign dishes especially Japanese food makes me wonder if they really like the food, because my Anambra palate can’t seem to accept some meals.

Alcohol – A friend said she just hates the bitter taste of alcohol but had to pretend for years. Fayrouz in a champagne glass, coke and ice in plastic cups – anything to be socially correct.

Shows you watched as a kid – Noooooooh, you didn’t watch williwilli and ‘ayamatanga‘. It was the Simpsons, Sesame street, Barneys etc only; but then how come when your friend’s hair looks untidy you call her ‘willywilly’ and even go ahead to describe her to anyone who looks confused?

The foneh must gel – whether you’ve lived abroad or never left Nigeria, there’s a certain foneh you need to belong… until someone gets angry and the Isale-Eko or Onitsha-Owerri comes out. Don’t worry, we’ll pretend we didn’t hear.
We all agreed that fitting in, is a basic human need; but in my quiet moments, I asked myself why the upper class seem to hate everything Nigerian. We are too quick to disdain what is obtainable in Nigeria and refer to what happens ‘over there’. We get excited when the West stamps its approval on what we do, and look to them for approval.

We even get excited when Nigerians born abroad (who do not even refer to their ancestry) achieve great feats. Headlines like ‘Nigerian German born 35 year old wins…..’ gets lots of ‘God is good’ ‘so happy for her’ on blogs and then a foreign award is the THING.

There is the legitimate point of the fact that the Western countries are more advanced, hence we have a lot to learn from them; but there is the annoying disdain of ‘Naija’ that is found only among the upper class. The lower class seems to have accepted the ‘Naija street cred’ and are even selling it to the upper class- Hello Olamide, goons mi. Phyno alobam, I see you.

The most painful is what is found among the political class. A western delegate visits Nigeria, the ruling party campaigns this as a proof of good governance, the same applies if Nigerian president gets invited to visit a western leader. A most recent example is APC’s assessment of our dear PMB’s 1 month stay in office.

I do not claim to know why there seems to be a disdain of all things Nigerian among the upper class, but it might be that the country is not a strong brand. We do not really stand for anything, but whatever it is, Nigeria is a beautiful place and I hope one day we can love who and what we really are – flaws and all.

That said, ‘I did not like the Matrix’

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Kadettmann

Peculiar is a Marketing communications personnel, she believes that one can have a full life without being bitchy and she wants it all 'A good career, love, laughter, wealth, you name it. She blogs at www.daworkdiva.blogspot.com.ng.. Follow her on Instagram @daworkdiva and Facebook 'www.facebook.com/Daworkdiva'

1. Tunde A.

July 14, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Inferiority complex

• Andy

July 14, 2015 at 11:15 pm

In what way, please ?

2. @edDREAMZ

July 14, 2015 at 5:08 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    For this i will always love AY for show casing naija to the world differently in that his movie 30 yrs in atlanta… Seriously that movie made me love naija the more and this post is onpoint no doubt…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• Engoz

July 14, 2015 at 6:16 pm

That movie was stupid at its best. To date, I haven’t watched it to the end and I doubt I ever will. AY was such a nuisance.

• mide

July 14, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Ay was just shouting your papa!!! Your father!!! Mtchewww

3. J

July 14, 2015 at 5:13 pm

LOL

I like this one cos its so true.

At work there is just this pressure to come off as someone with an exotic background, exotic taste and preferences. But what if i would rather just have my road side food and be great?!

It gets worse because I sound a little different when i speak(years of elocution training and teaching), and as such my colleagues have decided to put me inside an imaginary box.

so J you can call all the different kinds of assorted by their local names?

I never even knew you could eat such meat?

Ah J u played suwe while growing up?

So you haven’t even bin abroad sef?!

Ha! The struggle is real.
    I love me some af mag on those days when i just want to kick it and have some nonintellectual fun.
    And errrrrrrr, i am in my early 20s and am yet to see The Matrix. 😀

4. Ibukunoluwa

July 14, 2015 at 5:22 pm

I love this!!!

5. bruno FIERCE

July 14, 2015 at 5:33 pm

I hate nigerian movies cause they are daft and pointless with poor acting and poor stories and not because I want to seem cool or western.

and by the not all american movies I like. I hated twilight. my lord, one of the worst movies I have seen with my two eyes. I also hated hunger games, what a waste of time, very over rated. I fell asleep while i was watching it.it bored out of my mind.

I also hated 50 shades of grey, it was terrible.the girl was naked everytime but the sexy man was never naked for once. that pained me. I wanted to see his butt so bad. lol

good movies are good movies and bad movies are bad movies it doesnt matter whether the movie is american or nigerian.

almost all nigerian movies are horrible. thats a fact.
    I enjoyed b for boy (a nigerian movie). I enjoyed evil genius (bob manuel udoku) its a very old movie.i watched it when I was younger. very few naija movies are good.
    I also enjoyed fuji house of commotion and the first ever super story (suwara and toyin tomatoe)

peculiar pls don’t mix things up. I dont have time to waste on horrible programming or mediocre entertainment, today that there is unlimited entertainment everywhere. so many good shows to watch why will I waste time watching nigerian movies or nigerian tv shows that are horrible. I watched one episode of desperate housewives africa and I was in tears.

• Ada bekee

July 14, 2015 at 9:06 pm

@Bruno, the writer used movies to elaborate on the subject of discussion. The passage wasn’t discussing movies actually because I think that was the only thing you grabbed from the write-up. It was all about us loving or pretending to love everything western and placing them above our own.

• bruno FIERCE

July 14, 2015 at 9:20 pm

I wasnt using only movies to elaborate on the subject also. anybody who has a brain will understand what im saying. there are good oyinbo stuff and bad oyinbo stuff same thing with nigerian things. there are good nigerian music movies clothing etc and there are horrible also. just because u dont like some nigerian things like nigerian movies, that doesnt mean ur snubbing nigerian culture or whatever.

next time read and understand before u come for me. bitch

• AY

July 15, 2015 at 8:45 am

Bruno did you actually watch fifty shades of Grey? How was the man not naked?

• Zeeebby

July 15, 2015 at 9:30 am

desperate housewives Africa……………….i can’t stand that show.

6. bruno FIERCE

July 14, 2015 at 5:35 pm

sorry for the gbaguans.

7. ogeAdiro

July 14, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Chei! Chei! Chei! Just remembering that 1st Matrix fight scene with Trinity and the whole 360 camera magic. Grinning all over right now. I had to rewind that thing about ten times. Even the wardrobe in that movie alone was scattering my head.
    I agree with the idea of what you have written but calling out ‘The Matrix’ the way you have, is making this your message difficult to swallow.

• Anu

July 15, 2015 at 2:13 am

Memories! !! you just made me smile too.you have to love sci-fi to appreciate a movie like Matrix esp the first one. loved it

8. Engoz

July 14, 2015 at 5:46 pm

On the Nollywood thing and if we are being honest with ourselves, we churn out more garbage than decent movies. It might come across as elitist, but not everyone can sit through 5 hours of a ridiculous plot line. So I can’t blame those who don’t watch it. Notwithstanding there are good Nigerian movies that I have enjoyed…October 1st, Confusion na wa, Thunderbolt Magun, Last Flight to abuja. All these have one thing in common, I watched them at a seating.

9. Spirit

July 14, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Some people certainly tend to lose themselves into all things Western, copying and mimicking everything like a cultural slave. Yes, cultural exchange is normal but don’t forget your roots because those you are mimicking will notice you don’t have any and will be laughing behind your back.

10. A Real Nigerian

July 14, 2015 at 5:52 pm

“Nigeria is a beautiful place and I hope one day we can love who and what we really are – flaws and all.” Are you suggesting we accept and encourage mediocrity? Because that is what we are at the moment – mediocre.
    The Nigerian society is wrong, too flawed to be loved and its members are plagued with the glaring inability to think well. Work towards being better and stop yapping about “accepting who we are”.
    In summary, an article that is neither here nor there and is desperately trying to suck up.
    Your article is bad and you should feel bad.

• *curious*

July 14, 2015 at 9:16 pm

We don’t need to accept mediocrity but we do need to accept who we are. For example, accepting my nigerian english accent (if that’s the case) is different from accepting poor grammar skills.
      Mediocrity aside, I think there is so much pretense in the nigerian society because we don’t really know who we are or we are choosing not to accept who we are; the reason for the latter is best known to God and the subject.

• Reetah

July 15, 2015 at 12:12 am

I’m with you and Bruno on this one. I don’t understand what the wahala is. I liked the Matrix so using the Matrix as an example isn’t really a good idea. The plot is epic. So sorry you did not catch the real gist of the movie but you were able to decipher Blackberry Babes sharply. I’m sorry but it just shows me how your mind works. It’s not about being too westernised or anything it’s just knowing what is mediocre and what is not! The Matrix is deep babes…so deep. Do a research on the symbolism of it all you’ll be the better for it. Like Bruno said there are bad ‘oyibo’ movies and songs as well as good ones and there are cringeworthy Naija movies and music as well as stellar ones. I’m sorry I find your article baseless. You might have a point or at the very best two but your delivery and comparison is bad mbok…..

• Wale

July 15, 2015 at 2:14 am

I felt the article was poorly written and agree she made it seem like all Nigerians hate their heritage. I love Nigeria to the core and I have lived over 90% of my life abroad despite my “ajebutter” upbringing I am all things Naija. I am probably more in tune with what is going on back home in politics, society and culture than most Nigerians living in Nigeria. I really don’t know any Nigerian that is not a proud Naija person. When we pass each other in malls, or at foreign airports, we just know it. Even the poshiest of us-whatever complexion. We know the naija vibe or radar gets activated. We are a unique breed and despite all the negatives the world still regard us with wonder. I love and appreciate all well made nigerian movies. And I love our cuisine. Our men have an edge to them(sorry, I didn’t marry one, but…), the women are sassy dramatic and smart. Our culture-perhaps China probably is the only other country that has these much cultural diversity fused into one nation. To think of all the unique languages and peoples we have in this one complex country. Yet, we continue to beat the odds and live as one big family. We ought to embrace the Nigerianess in us, we are special people and others see it. Pity most people with some complex don’t appreciate it.

• cindy

July 15, 2015 at 11:53 pm

why do I think that you are Wale the rapper?

11. MyMind

July 14, 2015 at 5:58 pm

I was expecting something more substantive that addresses why people turn up their noses at made in naija. I was also hoping you would provide some examples of good quality made in naija brands I can learn about especially in sectors and industries other than oil & gas or fashion. Maybe part of the problem is that people just don’t know, honestly.

I think think that mentality is changing slowly tho. Our music is a prime example of that, I mean see how Naija music is “reigning”.

Also businesses need to diversify and cater to mass-market needs cuz no be only rich people have needs. There is serious money to be made in mass market – the services industry is a good example of that. I Just hope this can quickly translate to other sectors and industries as well. Emphasis should also be on producing quality products that speak for themselves, that nobody can “yinmu” on.

Honestly ehn, I can’t wait for the day electricity will be stable in that country, I strongly believe that many businesses as a result.
    My two cents.

• Engoz

July 14, 2015 at 6:25 pm

The music thing is a good example. I mean we used to hate Nigerian music, we would only dance to the Michael Jacksons then, but today most of us in the diaspora can’t stand American music, because Nigerian artistes have done their homework and upgraded. Even if they are singing nonsense, the videos are appealing. I even found out it’s Nigerians in Nigeria that are still excited about american music, we in the diaspora, naija music all the way, all the way. So if our movie industry wants our support they need to aggressively upgrade as well. Just a minor few are trying though like Kunle Afolayan.

• Mymind

July 14, 2015 at 6:55 pm

…many businesses “will spring” up as a result

12. Hafsat's Blacksoap, Oils & Butter

July 14, 2015 at 5:59 pm

God bless you Peculiar!!
    I think i fell in love with all things Nigerian when i morphed into an adult. I thought wearing our attires was razz. Buying Nigerian products was being de-classed. As an adult, I owned my personality and addressed all such self esteem issues i had. When i see a made in Nigeria product on the aisle, Im proud of it, i root for its success and I try to patronize it as much as I can. I passionately maintain that made in Nigeria products are better than many China products.
    For the high class Nigerians looking down their noses at all things Nigerian, shame on you. More shame on you for teaching your kids to do so albeit subtly.
    Im not a fan of Nigerian movies until Femi Jacob called people like me out on that. Now, i watch and will excellence into all parts of our movie makings.
    God bless Nigerians and lovers of Nigerian made products!!!

13. whocares

July 14, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Haven’t your friends heard? Being African is the new cool. Everyone is wearing ankara up and down, and fashion designers are getting their inspirations to cloth their models like egungun be careful from “Africa”. I go to my friend’s house solely to watch Nollywood TV (and we all know how terrible those movies on nollywood can be) but not for me. I like my tragedies as comedies in disguise, and my comedy – farce! But the truth is, Nollywood movies ARE mediocre. It takes a special kind of crazy to appreciate them. That is not to say I have not seen fantastic movies over the years (the contract anyone?) but the bulk of it yes.
    Let me play devil’s advocate. For every point you have raised, there is a good reason to be disdainful. I have talked about the movies. Alcohol (that is self explanatory.. how many made in Nigeria vodka or rum etc do you see about? I might be wrong here, but I doubt it if there were really good brands – more than one, I would know. lol) , Fone- the last I checked a hint of it will get you job anywhere. It is the market. No one wants bad market so everyone sticks to their made in ChinaFrancoIjebu accent.
    You are right when it comes to the other classes. I have heard my mom or other people start a sentence too many times with “Our people are sooo (and it never ends well for the people involved when the sentence starts this way). In my mother’s defence (if i dont defend her, who will?) she has seen a lot, and “our people” have taught her a lesson or two. You cannot blame her if she is more sceptical of the average Nigerian telling her to send something home, or the one with the slight fone asking her money so that she can buy a sewing machine to build her business. Overall, I think the problem is inferiority complex plain and simple and that will not change until Nigeria becomes better and gives these people something to boast about.
    Personally, I cannot imagine aewwing a finely prepared efo elegusi, or obe pupa, saying no to “made in Nigeria as opposed to made in Irish” Guiness, ignoring giz-dodo or telling indomie instant noodles to talk to the hands. At the end of all the epistle, Matrix is not a great movie is what we should be taking from here. It is good sure, but I will not poison you if you tell me you dont like it. Take false about the Godfather, and you just might not see the next minute. No vez about the long story. lool. I am bored 😛

• Thatgidigirl

July 14, 2015 at 6:46 pm

exactly! Until the country gets better and gives us something to boast about, we can’t lie and accept things we’re not proud of. However, the real MVPs are the guys that are running to the bank with these seemingly rejected nigerianism….Jason njoku, olamide, phyno etc

• Princess

July 15, 2015 at 6:39 am

Are you not among the country?!!! Every Nigerian complaining and folding their arms are Nigeria’s biggest problems. Do something! The ones that are making the mediocre whatever are far better than all y’all. The Westerners developed their country by Themselves. You run there and enjoy the benefits and start to blab rubbish. Do something my friend! In the land of the blind the one eyed man is the king. That’s why mediocrity will continue to thrive, at least it’s better than sitting down and complaining. This right here is Nigeria’s biggest problem. If Bree Newsome or whatever didnt forcefully against the law take down that confederate flag, it would still be hanging proud in SC. What stops you all from asking the banks for loan and start something that tops the mediocrity? If you can’t do better then shut up.Please Nigeria is mediocre because Nigerians both home and abroad are mediocre#fact!

• kanyin

July 15, 2015 at 7:16 am

“ChinaFrancoIjebu” lmaoooo! I couldn’t get past this! Loooool!

14. usdollar

July 14, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Nice one!

15. Wana

July 14, 2015 at 7:02 pm

I nearly chuckled through the entire write-up… “Shows you watched as a kid – Noooooooh, you didn’t watch williwilli and ‘ayamatanga‘. It was the Simpsons, Sesame street, Barneys etc only; but then how come when your friend’s hair looks untidy you call her ‘willywilly’ and even go ahead to describe her to anyone who looks confused?” LOLL… Nice write-up Pecu.

16. natty

July 14, 2015 at 7:03 pm

nice topic. Nollywood has a long way to go, infact I had completely given up hope on our movies when my friend a nollywood enthusiast forced me to watch one of Kunle Afolayan’s movies. Damn! I was impressed. if it’s not his move or jeta Amata’s I don’t even bother watching.

• larz

July 15, 2015 at 2:29 pm

If your friend didn’t push you to watch it you wont have discovered it. Discovering means being in a position where you will be aware of great discoveries when they happened.

17. Black Coffee

July 14, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Most people I know are Naija and proud so can’t relate to this particular article

18. nunulicious

July 14, 2015 at 8:23 pm

I was in the market on Sunday and the mallam told me to buy a particular type of fresh tomato. he said “this one na better tomato oh but it is more expensive, na the one people dey ask for now. na Ghana tomato. When I stared seemingly stupified, he reaffirmed it, “na from Ghana dey bring am”
    wtheck? Ghana tomatoes? a mallam, a northerner, a hausa man telling you about Ghanian tomatoes??!
    Love your own Nigeria. Export not import; produce not consume!

• amy

July 15, 2015 at 11:47 am

My dear, na true you talk. The article seems to be blaming the upper/middle classes for this attitude of ours. No, in Nigeria once there is a trend, everyone, down to the market woman and truck-pusher, follows the trend (oh, I call it “trend”). Everything Nigerian is abhorrent. That is why everything has to be “made somewhere” for it to be worthy of Nigerians. Na so dem tell me say Kenyan garri better pass Nigerian garri. Kenya? If its not Ghana tomatoes, it is Liberian palm oil or some ridiculousness.Yes, our people think they are so inferior I can’t fit to talk. And it is in all areas and all strata of society. Using movies as an example, Hollywood was not made in a day or ten years. I watch a lot of old movies and I can tell you improvements are made everyday in Hollywood. No, Nigerians do not want to bring those improvements to Nollywood but will criticise those who are doing their best. And yet, we are the same ones who will import telenovelas and Asian movies to watch. The bottom line is inferiorty complex, whether we admit it or not.
      Sorry for all the rants, moving on now . . . . . . . . . . . . . . while leaving a lot unsaid!
      PS. There is still a mass market for those “mediocre” movies and that is why they get to be made.

19. Tunmi

July 14, 2015 at 8:30 pm

I did not see this growing up and I’m glad I didn’t. But then again, I grew up in Mushin and often visited by grandmother in Ajegunle. I love Naija movies but they’ve taken a backseat to Korean dramas because kdramas are just too well made–better than American ones sef. Kdramas have the technical aspect of filmmaking down. From the music to the cinematography, and if you get the really good ones, the script is awesome.

I watch Naija films for specific actors or directors: Bimbo Akintola, Afolayan, Kelani, etc. Same for US shows, I only watch them for my minority folks: black, Latino, Asian, and Native American. Naija movies still have a ways to go, but I shall never ever deny my adire in summer or deny my Naija food in any season. That part I don’t get. What did amala and gbegiri do you?

20. www.thelmathinks.com

July 14, 2015 at 8:55 pm

It’s no news that Nigerians see anything foreign as ‘better than’; accents, clothes, food, people, hair etc. what baffles me is your reference to “upper class”. i think you have a misperception about that.

Well like you I didn’t enjoy Matrix, but I’m not keen on most Hollywood movies either.

• www.thelmathinks.com

July 14, 2015 at 8:55 pm

*Nollywood

21. Peaches77

July 14, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Eh! Don’t touch it oo @ Matrix, especially the first part of the sequel… Hmm I have watched this movie over 7 times and can probably keep watching it once every year. But I definitely understand that not everyone likes sci-fi… My sister didn’t like the movie, my very good friend hated gravity. You can say you didn’t enjoy it but you cannot say it wasn’t a good movie and be taken seriously.

22. Benbella

July 14, 2015 at 9:21 pm

I may be deviating slightly from topic here, but seeing as we are talking about the love of things foreign, here are my own two kobo:

1. Personally I never understand why people with Nigerian names adopt an English one whenever they move abroad. It is fair enough if you were given an English name at birth, but I know someone that changed her name legally (newspaper announcement and all) from Adenike to Nicky, which for me smacks of cultural complex.

2. The love of foreign things is all a matter of balance. While we should do everything to support our local industries, the product has to be good. When OBJ banned the importation of furniture, our local artisans stepped up big time. My sister was an interior designer, and I have seen Nigerian artisans do wonders with chairs and sectionals, that look like they were crafted in some Danish design studio. In fact I know someone in yankee who complains that Nigerian furniture is better because we use real mahogany wood, compared to yankee where anything but particle boards will set you back in dollars spent.

However the some of Nigeria (including the entertainment industry) seem to be turning for the worst. In fact out of the trident entertainment arms of music, comedy and film, only comedy has vastly improved. Our music has increased in quantity and marketing but the substance is severely watered down. Movies, save for a few, have very poor material.

While i do not support people laughing at our arts, just to appear superior, our arts must be worthy of praise, as it is not enough for them to be Nigerian alone to earn our custom.

3. Nigerian food is the best, enough said. But we are a lazy people. We have no innovation in us, to craft methods of selling our dishes to the world, like Chinese and Indians have. Do you know that Chinese food only became popular in Yankee in the 40s. Spaghetti and Pizza only entered the mainstream in the 60s. Going to Jand as a youngster in the 80s, there were not curry or kebab shops on every corner as there is now. Jollof rice should be selling like singapore fried noodles. Moi moi and akara and okpa should be available in Michellin rated restaurants, even we can find a way to package (I hate that word) the product so it appears palatable.

4. Like someone said above, it is all a matter of security in oneself. Do you have a strong sense of identity with your culture and community? I am sorry to say this but I find that people born in the 90s and onwards and have no recollection of growing up in a Nigeria that worked even a little bit, have little faith in Nigeria and hence no sense of pride in country. I grew up in the 80s, and while Nigeria was still dysfunctional, things worked. There were Nigerian TV programs like Basi & Company, Village Headmaster, Koko Close and Behind the Clouds on TV. These were educative, entertaining well written and produced. Nigeria was self-sustaining and we didnt need to travel or watch foreign programs to feel whole. Companies like Okin and Nasco turned out confectionery. SAMCO, FAN and UAC had us covered on the snacks and sweets front too. One didnt need a visa to travel, and there was no need to. Apapa Amusement Park worked and Bar Beach had white sands and cool breeze. Nigeria was neater and better organized. That was a glorious era

• Reetah

July 15, 2015 at 12:23 am

God bless you Benbella from funtimes. I miss Nigeria before the funkified it to Naija and it seems things started going downhill from then on. I will buy Nigerian if I’m sure I’ll get my money’s worth.. That’s how one time I decided to buy Nigerian made clothing o and the attitude I got from the designer was appalling and the quality of the jumpsuit nko? Utter rubbish and the price was outrageously expensive. I will gladly patronise Nigerian if I’m sure I’ll get my money’s worth shikena!!

• larz

July 15, 2015 at 2:53 pm

1) If William likes to be called Bill, Richard, Dick, Samantha, Sam, Victoria, Vicky, Olatune, Ola/ Tunde, Ifeoma, Ify, Omolara, Lara. why cant Adenike be Nikky? It doesnt have to be inferiority complex. Some people just want shorter versions of their names. And since we dont have the luxury of naming ourselves, I think we can shorten as we want.
      2) Unless people are looking out for their special Nigeria art and supportive of it. No one will invest in the business. They will carry their art to a country/ market that appreciates their talent.
      3) another reason for lack of exposure to naija food is the tourist trade. Chefs learn to make exotic food becuz they had it in their last trip to India/ China/ Italy/ France/ Thailand etc, They come back home and try to replicate a version for their home country. Nigerians on the other hand scream when Jamie tries to make jollof rice. As if we own the dish! Also, another reason for exposure in Asian food in UK/ US is that most Asians are crazy about their food. If you find 10 or more Asians (Indian/ Oriental) on a street,I bet they will have their local cuisine set up in no time. And more importantly, they will take their frns there or entertain their frns with those food.
      I recently went to a frns house who invited two couples (so six ppl including the hosts) into the house. We were all Nigerians except for one white lady and they chose to serve British 3 course meal. Not judging the decisions to do so but I know my Indian frns wont do that. They must squeeze one of their food in. If you dont want curry, you can have chutney and yogurt with your nan.

23. Josh

July 14, 2015 at 10:20 pm

As long as Nigerian products/movies/drinks continue to be a product of mediocrity we would still continue to prefer foreign ones over them, it is not a case of turning up your nose at Nigerian products, it is realisation that they are really fall below world standard.
    I am not in the upper class, not even close, but God forbid that you would find me watching a Nigerian movie starring Nkem Owoh, 60 minutes of torture
    And for the fone’ I sincerely submit that if you agree to speak another man’s language, you have to speak it right, fone and all. You don’t speak Igbo with an accent now do you?

• kanyin

July 15, 2015 at 7:15 am

Yes they do(speak igbo with an accent) loool!

24. Josh

July 14, 2015 at 10:23 pm

I’m sorry,looks like I’m getting some things mixed up here but is Bruno not a guy? I mean with him wating to see some other guy ‘naked’…just asking anyways..

• So late!

July 15, 2015 at 6:51 am

See this one ooo. You’re really late to to parrrrrttttteeeeeeyyyyyy! Bruno na confam homosexual!!!!! Hin like pr*** pass woman. In fact woman thing dey irritate am. When it comes to Bruno, there are two things crucial for his survival penis and anus. Can’t you see he rants like a woman with burnt weave. Lol, Josh boo boo, if you like your fellow man Bruno is mr right. Dont worry, you’ll definitely be the top!

25. bee

July 14, 2015 at 11:00 pm

I was going to write an epistle but benbella just said it ALL

26. This Is Not Peculiar to Nigerians

July 14, 2015 at 11:43 pm

This problem is UNIVERSAL! It’s NOT peculiar to us NIGERIANS. Please read the story of how “Chinese tourists flocking to Japan to buy high-tech “smart toilet lids,” which come with built-in bidets, heat and other functions, are shocked to learn that many of these prized commodes are actually made in China”.

“Or as one couple browsing toilet lids in Hangzhou told Qianjiang Evening said: “Even if they are just made in China and the outside looks the same, oversight is better overseas. You feel more relieved when you use it.”

The Chinese got angry bcos that found out that the toilet seats were made in China, all the while they thought it was made in Japan!

Read more of the story below.

27. Ibiso Victor Membere

July 15, 2015 at 8:09 am

My sister, we as Nigerians are even being fake to ourselves. Acting as though we are slaves, when slavery was abolished many years ago. I went out with a boy and I was quite hungry as I hadn’t had a meal all day. He looked at me in disdain as I ordered for eba. See me see trouble o! Na you dey chop am? Anything that is socially correct is what everybody should do abi. You want me to order for onion soup when I’m dying of hunger? Niger, pls shift. I can pay for my food o!

28. Anita

July 15, 2015 at 11:33 am

Lol! this is so true. I have not watched Matrix either but my husband has watched it probably a hundred times and it has been explained to me. I love Yoruba movies especially. As for Nigerians loving everything foreign it still baffles me why almost everyone on Radio has an American accent…it is Nigerian radio yet everyone sounds foreign. You don’t need a foreign accent to sound eloquent and a fake one at that.

29. Beehive

July 15, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Errrhm, what you say is true, however, those seeming upper class people you relate with are truly not upper class and probably do not have a true pedigree, cos if its the same upper class u are referring to, there are people i know who belong to that group and have no pressure to be socially accepted but rather are human…having the experiences that span from the social strata as a whole… reason being that, you’ve been there, done that and have a certificate on it. Those who i see who fit this profile of your association are the middle-upper class who perceive that they have something to proof to the world. Anyone who feels they have to fit a status quo haven’t come to the fullness of themselves.
    With regards to the TV shows you mentioned, we were subjected to NTA in the early 80’s and the likes before event of cable TV came about. We were subjected to watching the same TV programmes, be it high class or low class…. those who probably didn’t watch it were those who didn’t have a TV. Your friends am sorry to say are probably not being real.
    On the African magic vs foreign movie topic, I believe it depends on your interest and level of intellect. For one, some “Naija” movies are just damn right annoying while some make sense, same with “oyinbo” films.
    The phonetics issue is annoying too… speaking with a swirl in your speech doesn’t necessarily mean you are speaking correct English. When we were younger, we had language laboratories where we practiced the true pronunciation of words. The internet makes it even easy with the help of google translate and pronunciation…. lets not even talk about typo errors…

Its a sorry case though… please bring back the glorious 80’s and 90’s Lawwwd

30. hiii

July 16, 2015 at 4:45 am

I hate when some crazy people say I still talk like a nigerian! lol its so funny when I hear that.. been out of naija for 6 yrs.. now, I’m not at work, having a presentation or speaking with a non nigerian.. so how do you want me to sound.? . I don’t sound uneducated so would like me to add some “spri spri spri’ while I talk to you my nigerian folk ?
    People come to canada for a year and their accent change! that is not a bad thing either if you feel you sound better that way then do you. but don’t look down on others who don’t sound like atypical canadian..

31. Chinco

July 16, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Theres a lot to be said about this topic but il only say this (in agreement with what someone said earlier)… CASABLANCA was an academy award winning movie produced in the 40s or so… the story was nice but the acting bad and special effects, sad! Overtime hollywood has improved a lot,. I believe with time, more resources pumped into nollywood they would improve as well

32. Lois

July 17, 2015 at 8:48 am

I am glad at this piece and commend the writer. Our upbringing has a lot to do with how we turn out later in life. In our formative years, our parents and influencers (adults within/outside our families, teachers, media personalities etc) impacts and influences our choices which molds us into the adult we become. I was raised with values of love, appreciation, giving, hope, good self esteem, respect, confidence, hard work etc. was taught the values of my culture and made to see and seive-out the good in other cultures and discard what does not agree to natural justice, equity and fair conscience. This is an integral part of what does not make us join a bandwagon to agree to what is socially or politically correct. I am trying to teach my children in the same manner. My colleagues often say, madam, you’re so ‘classy, posh, tush etc but you’re too down to earth all the same’. I can’t help that. I prefer my Amala joints, Niger-Delta kitchen to fast foods and Chinese restaurants and their likes for lunch. Even mama Ogoja knows me as a customer for my daily dose of porridge beans. I eat it , don’t care about how the next white lady in black skin twitches her nose. It’s our office not just yours and sadly no kitchen/food area so, you have to live with my choices. I wear my traditional outfit to the office (Iro and Buba) every Friday and sometimes twice. No apologies either. Hausa/Fulani colleagues wear theirs Monday-Friday and we have all gotten used to it. And I like ce my Yoruba movies. Yup, rarely watch others save for sensible movies of Nollywood and so interesting foreign ones. I prefer the home films to that of America Sef. The only movies that have me by shackles are Titanic and The Great Gatsby. So, no matter how well travelled and educated, I love my country, I love my home. No apologies plus I am ‘Ibile United’- Olamide and a huge fan of Phyno.