Features

Busayo Oderinde: Garri – Changing Times & Generational Divides

I was catching up on some previous episodes of The Spot on YouTube recently and saw an episode where they had garri on the show. Ebuka told their guest, OC Ukeje, that he met a 23 year old lady who had never had garri in her life until very recently. Instantly a light bulb went on in my head; how does that happen? How sheltered was her life? How can you grow up in Nigeria and never drink, chew or taste garri? It boggled my mind. He said he pitied her and that was my sentiment exactly, I felt she had been robbed of a vital Nigerian experience. A Nigerian that has never drank garri? The Almighty Casa flakes?

I mean, through out my time at boarding school and even in University, garri was the real deal. Garri holds a special place in my food memories. Did anyone here ever soak and travel? Soaking and Traveling was when you were really broke and your provisions were gone and you have this small handful of garri which you “soaked” in a lot of water, then you “traveled”, meaning you went to do other stuff for a couple of hours. When you get back, the garri would have multiplied in size and would be more filling. Some people might say this was suffering/hard knocks, I say it taught us delayed gratification.

Do you remember making garri cake? The concoction we came up with in Secondary School to celebrate birthdays, Garri cake was made with garri, sugar, Milo, milk, margarine and decorated with Milo frosting and gogo sweet.

I still make garri cake occasionally, the adult version; with garri, milk, condensed milk, sugar, almond and cashew nuts, melted butter, cocoa powder, choco-chips, coconut flakes and rum. I let this sit in the refrigerator for a few hours and use a milk chocolate ganache or chocolate syrup for a topping. It is divine and my brother believes I can sell it.

Till date, there is something about cold garri, peanuts, milk, sugar on a hot day that does amazing things for the soul. Or drinking garri and suya or barbecue chicken on a cool evening. Garri is the perfect Nigerian snack/meal. Most people have their variations in style of drinking it;  some people are garri “purists” –  they drink garri alone. Some people add all sorts to it, crayfish, groundnuts, hot chocolate, milk, biscuits, chin-chin,M&ms e.t.c Trust me, I have seen all sorts.

Talking to my baby brothers and their friends gives me culture shock every time; from their music, entertainment, food, relationships, philosophies, fashion (I can’t stand my brother’s “sokoto janpepe”). Kids born in the mid 90s downwards have food and life experiences completely different total the 80s to the early 90s kids. My baby brothers didn’t know what garri cake was until I showed them and they don’t know what soak and travel is: their reaction was “What is that?” I kid you not.Change is the ever constant thing but it hurts when it seems we are losing our identity or a common unifying factor.

I remember when I was younger and I used to follow my Dad to the village. I remember drinking freshly tapped palm wine and eating my Grandmother’s food with fresh bush meat. Experiences like this are very dear to my heart and so many modern kids don’t have them, going abroad for summer is their reality.

I asked people about this and what a lot of them said made me understand that it’s becoming the new normal. A lot of children in modern Nigeria have not tasted a lot of the meals we had growing up. They don’t know it, they have not been exposed to it and therefore don’t like it or care for it. The sad part of this we turn this new generation of kids into Food Snobs, snobbish of our own meals.

Does this not make you sad a little? When kids think Shawarma is a Nigerian meal? Or that pizzas, gelatos and burgers are the proper meals to eat? That “Indomie” is the staple of the Nigerian cuisine? That, eating out must be at only Malls and Restaurants?

These humans don’t know so many meals and snacks. They don’t know “Kokoro”, “kulikuli”, “wara”, “akara osu”, “dodo ikire”, “adun” etc, the snacks you ate on the highways when you were traveling out of Lagos or the vast offerings of street food available, some kids have never had one type of Street food before.

We are part of the problem or the sole cause. I have an aunt who only shops for her kids snacks from America, so whenever she takes a trip, she loads up on their stock. I don’t want to open the can of worms on how modern parents are raising their kids, but it is responsible for this gap that is growing daily. You see a secondary school student who can afford meals that was my whole pocket money in a term in secondary school, times have changed, people are balling.

How do we bridge this divide and hold on to our own identity? One solution is that we have to romanticize our meals the way its done in Western climes. I love the fact that Jollof Rice is Bae – old and young all love it. The recent world jollof rice day really helped the PR of the dish. I believe this should be done for our other meals.
Another vital thing is to introduce children at a very early age to our meals. I know someone advised that my baby brothers be weaned off baby food and semi solids with Eba, amala, beans, fish etc and now they still like Nigerian meals even if they like western ones too. What is obtainable now is a lot of processed food, that is not even helpful. A healthier solution is our natural unprocessed foods cooked creatively.

Finally, because this is an idolizing generation, a tool to drive awareness for our meals is to use celebrities. If a well loved celebrity says he can’t get enough of “Ewa agoyin” or “Dudun” or “mosa” mentioning where he gets it from, trust me that place and meal will have a lot more customers.
What are your thoughts? Have a great week. Love and Casa flakes.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Paul Brighton

My name is Busayo, a Food Enthusiast, I love love food, its a huge passion for me and I believe Chocolates make the world a happier place. Feel free to contact me via email, [email protected]

1. mgtss.blogspot.com

September 27, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Nice write up Busayo! and i totally agree with you that we need to introduce our delicacies to the younger generation so WE are not lost altogether. This truth holds for everything African, well, not everything as some of our cultural norms certainly need to be reformed, but we must not throw the baby with the bathwater, and i must say the ‘baby’ is weightier than the bath water when it comes to our African/Nigerian traditions and customs.

PEACE

2. Abi

September 27, 2015 at 6:55 pm

It’s not only happening with our foods, it’s happening with our languages, our education, even our culture. For example so many parents sheltering their children from learning “Yoruba”. They will even be saying proudly “He doesn’t understand Yoruba” with the biggest smiles on their faces. As if it’s an achievement.

I grew up all my life here in the UK, fine enough my Mum didn’t teach me Yoruba or how to cook. But that’s not a good enough excuse. I taught myself. And I’m watching a Yoruba movie right now on YouTube , these movies have helped me soooooooooooo much from childhood with my Yoruba! I may not be perfect but when I visit Lagos I can have a full blown conversation with a Yoruba person, and have them thinking maybe I’m an Igbo person who can speak Yoruba (Only because of my accent and I slur on my words sometimes) This same Garri we are talking about, I saw Don jazzy on Instagram drinking with milk, and it looked appetising. Kia kia I purchased evaporated milk from the corner store and my life has never been the same since then. As a matter of fact it’s so strange that there is fried fish in my fridge and I was just timing myself on when I will enter that kitchen of mine, pour up a bowl of Garri and milk and enjoy my life with my red brim fish and low and behold I look to Bella Naija and see an article on “Garii”. This must be God speaking to me LOL. Meanwhile jollof dey, assorted stew dey. But I want Garri. Big deal.

Shioo. Life is sweet.

3. guest

September 27, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Awesome post Busayo! Nigerians love anything that is branded as foreign, that is why many people will choose an unhealthy burger over moimoi and bread… but let KFC start serving bean-cake burgers and suddenly, people will be eating rebranded moimoi and paying lots of money for it. As for me, the way to my heart is the special port harcourt boli and roasted fish…chei! And I will fall in love with anyone who buys me roasted corn and ube, to the point that my Dad always waits at the airport with roasted corn any time I am coming home. I also made garri cake and soak/ travel in school… FGGC Abuloma in the house lol… we turned garri cake into an art form, we would use those robot chewing gums as fake candles on top of the cake… good times!!!

• BeautifulOnyinye

September 28, 2015 at 12:44 am

Yes oh Guest.I wasthe garri cake maker in my room then in primrose house in fggc abuloma.I love garri and most of our street foods esp bole,fish and pepper stew and suya but most times I come down with diarrhoea so I try to make my version of them but d street food is pretty amazing

• Hmmmm

September 28, 2015 at 4:13 am

You mean you haven’t experienced the wonder that is the Kara Burger from that place beside KFC at the Palms? Akara and bread with lettuce and dressing. Kosei de buredi. For goodness sake. For N500?!

4. Anon

September 27, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Lovely article.

Almighty “garium!” The Ijebu variety is the business for drinking (and for me eating.).

Garium and suya, garium and g/nuts, garium and coconut, garium with condensed milk/nido…

I tell you, on one of the occasions we went to Mbaise at Christmas, I saw people at a joint mixing yellow garium in a bowl with Maltex (the daddy of malt drinks. Maltina has nothing on Maltex.)

Sometimes, I think the reason why some of us have big tummies (women – before childbirth and middle age spread) is the over consumption of garri. The starch in it is excessive. I haven’t eaten garri with soup in a long time. I use oats now. I still drink it with my g/nuts which I buy in bottles when I go to Lagos. The salty variety here has nothing on our Nigerian g/nuts.

Also, they said it was bad for the eyes. We countered it by drinking yeast. Yes, some of us did that. Those were the days.

• ShineShineShine

September 28, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Hahaha, oh my days!!!! you did the yeast thing too?
      What about garium fried in palm oil?
      And you are right. Maltex is the daddy of all malt drinks.
      Life was good then.

5. Pat

September 27, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Haha, Busayo I love this article. Its true that sometimes parents don’t introduce certain Naija food and snack to their kids. It could be either they don’t know about it or are not really interested in a particular food. Regardless we don’t have to miss out just because certain foods were not introduced at home be it drinking garri or eating boli and groundnut lol. This has nothing to do with the rich or poor. I feel that growing up in naija you mix with other people/culture u get to discover or taste their food. Even walking on the street alone you discover different kinds of food. Certain foods were not cooked in my house while growing up but through experience/visiting friends in their home I discovered and fell in love with other Naija foods. You mentioned snacks such as Kulikuli and Wara pls may I also add my favorite of them all elekute and Dankwa I hope I spelt it right 🙂 I first tasted these snacks from a friend of mine in primary school.
    On another note, you see grown adults who were raised or have lived most of their life in Nigeria and they say they can’t speak a word of Pigin (“Are you for reals”?Lol) Pigin wasn’t spoken in my home growing up neither was it spoken in the schools I attended but one way or the other you will pick a few words or sentences from the streets or when u meet people. E be like say some people no dey commot :). Anyway, enough of my talk talk. I guess people experience things differently .

6. arabella

September 27, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Until today I had never even seen gari before. The picture has helped alleviate my ignorance. I still don’t know exactly what it is (should I assume “casa flakes” are casava flakes?).

7. Joy Ojo

September 27, 2015 at 8:37 pm

I remember my school days in potiskum. Our sing then was “garri on the left side, sugar on the right side, soak it, soak it and drink it.” Garium is the ultimate ooo, it has been saving loads of lives till date. We also had what we called “quodo” Garry mixed with geisha, kulikuli yaji, salt, pepper, oil and very little water. You then mould it and eat it. I’m happy my kids know these things.

• Tim

September 27, 2015 at 9:35 pm

I assume you attended FGGC Potiskum…..lol. i went to an FGC (Odogbolu) and that is the only school i know in Potiakum

8. Joy Ojo

September 27, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Our song then meant to say. Auto correct got me.

9. Idris

September 27, 2015 at 8:45 pm

I am so in line with everything you have just said, Busayo. However, I just want to throw out a little theory there. Most people would not really want to talk about this – but the whole idea of “you are what you eat” plays the best hymns in my church. A lot of our tradition food need to be checked for nutritive value, we tend to add a lot of oil to our food (tomato sauce and other Nigerian sauces come to mind *). I believe taking this into consideration is the way forward to “franchising” Nigerian food .

10. wumi

September 27, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Nice write up. Just had mine with sugar and akara Ogbomosho (special kind of kulikuli)

11. E.A

September 27, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Yep I agree with the comments above everything about Nigerian is about being foreign. I left Nigeria age 8 unfortunately can’t speak my language but understand perfectly. Very surprising when I go back home and some people my age (21) can’t speak or even understand their language, sorry but I find it completely disgusting almost seen as a prideful accomplishments. This is similar to the author’s article, people not eating their cultural food in other to be seen as exotic ?. Sigh we need seriously de-colonisation in our country. P.s I think it might also help that all the tv/media personality do not have foreign accent sometimes hire your average Nigerian, speak our languages and teach our languages. Pains me I can’t teach my kids uhrobo in the future

12. Dolly-P

September 27, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Ijebu garri, cold water, fried sawa or groundnut or kulikuli. My best meal since 1640..lol

13. Joy Ojo

September 27, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Tim, yes FGGC Potiskum. But I hear its no more due to boko haram.

14. Og

September 27, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Doruwa , dankwa, toffee sweet( sweet from I don’t know where wrapped in a long string of nylon), garri mududus, groundnut cake, aya, masa. . . And all the gbogbotigbo I got to eat from AFPS Kaduna. 50k to 1naira each. Childhood rocked?

• Peaches77

September 28, 2015 at 11:29 pm

That toffee sweet is called ‘ Babadudu’ ?

• Ex junior pilotKD

October 19, 2015 at 6:40 pm

Awww AFPS Kaduna my alam mater. Home of monkey coconut, goruba, aya (fresh and dry,tiger nuts for you oyibo types), akara with dundun and dodo, ango toffee

15. bonnie-gee

September 27, 2015 at 10:47 pm

I remember fillin garri n groundnut in my favouryt food in ‘slum book’…. OMG.. garri +cold water+ice cubes+ groundnut /smoked fish/ fried meat, trust me ur life will neva remain d same…. jez finished tkin it wif well fried sallah meat.

16. nunulicious

September 27, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Ah my precious g flakes with ice cubes, sugar and groundnuts! not peanuts Busayo, groundnuts.
    Your article highlights a sharp disconnect with the realities of the average kid in Nigeria. Granted a minor percentage of youngsters fall in this category but the MAJORITY of the street kids and youngsters in Nigeria know their garri and flakes and kulikuli and wara and ugba and groundnut sauce. Leave Asokoro and Ikoyi and GRA and head to Nyanya, Kubwa, Lagos island and the nooks and crannies and you’ll see what I mean.
    Our local/regional celebrities can help in our self-love though. Make them instagram our local delicacies and make them trend or whatever it is they do on social media nowadays.

17. Unique

September 27, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Busayo, lovely writeup you got! Garium suphate saving lives, the hunger bailout of nigerian students, i salute thee.
    I guess we are all missing out of our foods which is also an intricate part of our cultures. I sorely missed these snacks while growing up *kokoro, dankua, coconut sweet, groundnut sweet, trebor, baba dudu, tinko, garri mixed with sugar and palmoil well spread under the school locker while teacher is teaching using mr bigg biro as a. Funnel .
    I missed growing up.

Recently i introduced my cousins to baba dudu and they love it.
    I wished i could speak my original egba languages tho. The nominal yoruba is all i can speak and understand. I actually had to strain my ears hard to heard some of my old folks speaking it, its quite fast and i am lost.

18. Cheeway

September 28, 2015 at 12:23 am

You just made me remember an occasion in school then when I was broke and it was a day before visiting, I soaked garri with nutri-ci cos I had no sugar and went for night prep when I came back it has risen, I was so happy gave thanks to God and went to bed happy that night.
    #ProudlyGGKujeBabe
    #GarriSavingLivesSince1900BC

I think every boarder recogs with garri, my younger bro calls it G. He uses it with almost everything ranging from indomie to bread, gala etc

19. fleur

September 28, 2015 at 12:45 am

So interesting how we have re-framed being civilized and classy to mean we eat highly processed foods and we shun our language, heritage and culture. My parents are ivy league trained. Yet, my mom insisted on getting her garri from her farm allocation in the village. SHe said the garri in the market was not well-processed and would damage the thyroid and cause blindness. Since she was allocated farmland by the villagers, she would make her own garri. You would think she would hire people to do it. Nope. we were the workers. We uprooted the casava for a pennance that I really never got to hold with my calloused hands (she would ask you if you had eaten for the day if you asked for your money…yet somehow we believed her everytime), I learned to peel cassava. I learned where the villagers who owned the grinding machine lived and how much they charged. I learned how to prep so that we would tie the garri in bags as it came out of the grinding machine. I learned about tying the bag and moving it to drain the water from the garri. Then I also learned how to know when it was ready and how to fry it on the dry pan on top of a clay burner. My mother could have afforded garri in the market but nope, we were going to spend weekends making it with our own hands. She thought us how to make akamu from scratch. that was all we did – she said the akamu in the city was dirty and a potential source of diarrhea causing germs. She thought us how to make corn meal from corn. We never lacked plantains or yams. Both grandfathers were big farmers. The tubers of yam used to be about 6 – 10inches in girth and 2-3 feet in length. I enjoyed hanging out with my village cousins. they were not illiterate. They just had lesser means and they went to the village when school was out in the summer. We would stay up late, timelessness a great mate. The moon the only source of light. WE would tell tales by moonlight – the tortoise and his cunning ways, the voracious lion, the bad serpent, the walking dead. It was beautiful. I never paused to think whether it was classy or bushy to do those things. It was just a way of life for us and as a kid, I just did it. Here we are barely 25 years later and the world has flipped. Adults wont even claim they come from a village unless they have a marbled edifice to tell you about. We are enslaved in the worst way possible – mentally. Our foods were made for our bodies. The creator aint stupid. He is a master planner. He knows why he put the Chinese in China with the roots and herbs they have over there and the Native Americans in South and North America with their own herbs and foods. He gave each what they would need to survive and thrive. But we shun ours with a vehemence that begs the question – what did our culture and heritage ever to to us that was so bad? Very sad.

• Hephie Brown

September 28, 2015 at 11:45 am

Lovely comment @fleur! who remembers baba dudu? I dont need to hype garri, y’all already did. My only problem is why people look at me funny when i want to drink garri at work!!!!!!! grrrrrrhhhhhhh!! Some will ask if i thin im in my house and i dont want to be dubbed the overtly “unprofessional and unconventional” staff..so i’ve only done it twice?.. That thing needs to be legislated somehow. All d sallah meat floating around and i cant take garri right here and now? pffft

Garri is almost d same with rice when it comes to nutritional value..(i stand to be corrected)… If you think some nigerian meals are unhealthy or lacks nutrient, then have moi moi with ur garri for protein, have beans, have akara, hell groundnut is nutritious too! have boli with ur garri!!! Or just have garri with your garri?

How about you invent a “nutritious way to eat nigerian foods” maybe that’s your calling!

• Pat

September 28, 2015 at 4:04 pm

” So interesting how we have re-framed being civilized and classy to mean we eat highly processed foods and we shun our language, heritage and culture” Gbam! Gbam! My thoughts exactly. Everything u wrote is the truth.com. Make I preach small since u also mentioned herbs and why God put people in certain locations with certain food and herbs. The herbs are for the healing of the nation and Africa is blessed with abundance of it. Our “native” food match our genetically alignment. God knows why he put a polar bear in a certain climate condition with certain food and a Gorilla in a certain climate condition with certain food. Anyway, my point is we should try to eat less processed and acidic food and more foods that are aligned with our genetic predisposition. Our forefathers lived longer with less sickness because of what they ate and they got their food directly from the soil. But those food and herbs are now considered local and for the poor. Its sad we have become ignorant.

20. Mimi

September 28, 2015 at 2:24 am

Wow! It really does depend on where and how you were brought up, I was born in the mid 90s and I left highschool 2012, all you said, I concur with!! In school, you’ll take the garri, soak it in water when you wake up at 5am, leave for school and do every other thing, then come back at 6 after noon prep to take it! LOL, we had partly the struggle life and my school was very much private! Concerning the food thing, it definitely is what your parents and general environment introduce to you that you’ll accept, my cousin’s mum was a banker around 2004/05 and she barely had time to cook or do anything relate, which was sad, so she’ll ask their driver to take her son to big treat or mr biggs for lunch and most times, even dinner. He grew up eating meatpie, sausage and the likes and so if you mention something even as common as ofada stew (ayamase) , it’ll be like a mystery to him.

21. teegal

September 28, 2015 at 3:29 am

My o My! I tot garrium was for the poor cos of the early introduction of it in my life! I couldn’t stop laughing when I read d article, My grandparent will take me to the farm and after working for hours, garri and Unripe pepper with tiny bit of salt will be served as lunch! I grew up liking it, until boarding house gave me varieties of garri with Eja didin(fried fish),(fried meat) garri n milk, milo, kulikuli, etc! Even nao dat am all grown and married, there are days I will intentionally soak garri with iceblock, Groundnut, milk, sugar and use fish and myself and husband gets the satisfaction feeling!

22. Asake

September 28, 2015 at 4:27 am

I still bought Fagba garri this weekend…

Before I joined my secondary school where I was a boarder momsie and one of my brothers already lectured me on the importance of Garri. ..In my brother’s school they used to sing : Garri unto of water 2 spoons of sugar will make you happy, everlasting garri no need for dried meat ……and the song goes on.

Garri is very important however it is time we honestly review the nutritional contents of most of our Nigerian meals – the “processing” is too long – frying till it dries, roasting till it dries, OIL ehn…. etc.

We should preserve our culture however our health comes first. Has anyone investigated the link between Garri and eye sight? Is this a myth or not?

23. Yu

September 28, 2015 at 5:05 am

I hated garri as a child not because I was an ajebutter I just hated the taste, so no fun story

24. amh

September 28, 2015 at 7:43 am

beautiful write up. we are gradually losing our identities. i live abroad, my kids eat our local food primarily. i make continental or whichever to support. our food is highly nutricious and very healthy. even though my kids don not like garri but they know garri. no matter how expensive a resturant food is ,even if its a 10 star fine dinning. hubby will still want Eba or pounded yam afterwards. even if its 2am. i always make sure i prepare our local nija dish before we go fine dinning so he can eat again when we get back home. i love garri moimoi. i make beans and yam with salmon, asaro and steak, egunsi, roast yam and dodo. boli whatever my kids love it. i even copied nija grilled fish with chips. why are we not proud of our foods? the so called imported foods is filled with sugar and useless stuffs. when home. i eat designer rice, ghana high jollof rice, ewa agoyin, roadside akara, with all the dust and orisisi. sorry to the babe that has not seen garri before. if you reside outside nija. you will appreciate our food and films. i have never watched yoruba films untill i relocated abroad. other African countries are copying our foods, music, movies, fashion, and styles. why not appreciate what we have. i miss gudigudi, ekana asa. baba dudu, donkwa, kulikuli, and aadun. nija for life

25. chee

September 28, 2015 at 8:05 am

I thought I was a loner in this line of reasoning,i Busayo,ur head korect wella,when I give my kids garri and milk with sugar so they. Can enjoy their beans,my cousin frowns at it but d kids jump in delight! I’ll. Continue to introduce them to our local delicacies, I love me some okpa Nsukka hehehe

26. Zeeebby

September 28, 2015 at 9:10 am

GARRI aka GARIUM, GARIUM SULPHITE, G-UNIT, G-CLASS, NAIJA SNOW…..Garri saved my life in boarding school…..My provision used to finish too fast…. and I sabi waste pocket money ehn……once matter don hard NA TO SWITCH TO GARRI OH but I never liked garri cake sha. I have a teenage sister now and I dnt think I have ever seen her drink garri. The school she attends only allows snacks as provision….every time we pay as much as 40k buying snacks…. chai that thing too dey pain me and she will still collect like 20k as pocket money for 4 weeks…..that’s 60k oh….I PAID 60K AS SCHOOL FEES AS A BOARDER IN MY TIME.

27. Lade

September 28, 2015 at 9:51 am

….there’s this beans my dad used to buy from Ilesa when i was young. I don’t know what it’s called. It’s usually wrapped in moi moi leaves, tastes peppery and divine! All I know is that it’s not regular beans, very hard and takes long to soften (I think they boil it overnight), and my dad used to by it from an old woman on a roadside somewhere in Ilesa. 🙁 somebody please ‘epp’ me!

• gurl_wendy

September 28, 2015 at 10:59 am

Mmmn, I wonder if it’s the same Muke (pronounced mookeh), that my mom loves eating whenever we go to Ekiti, it’s beans wrapped in moi moi leaves too, dunno what the name might be in Ilesa tho.

28. tilda

September 28, 2015 at 9:56 am

Back in the day it was necessary to bulk up on carbohydrates and fats Becsuse it was fuel needed for farm work, trekking long distance etc. And becos it’s cheap. People were lean and muscly. Cancers , kidney problems, high blood pressure , diabetes were rare.Today’s white collar jobs and resultant sedatery life style call for a different sort of diet not foreign but balanced. Less carbs, more protein, fibre from whole grains and vegetables. I loved soaking garri back in the day, today it makes me bloated as it raises in bowls so it continues in the gut. And becos i have a heslthy diet there really is no place for it in my diet. I love fufu but these days I’ve resorted to having soup and no eba. If I do treat my self to eba I no am gonna pay for it in the gym. I stay away from sll sorts of fast fried foods including g akara , all kinds of chips and dodo. I replace rice with beans. culturally diet was made to suit lifestyle. Akpu for breakfast
    For farm workers, and people trekking long distance. Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the “Good old days”. We can all stay healthy and live longer by embracing a healthy diet and life style and some of our indigenous foods allow for this. However We just need a new way of thinking bout foods. Eating for life, not necessarily for nostalgia sake.

• oghogho

September 28, 2015 at 11:40 am

I concurr. You are what you eat. If you are overweight, suffer from health problems. It’s time to change your diet. It’s best to start your children off on a healthy diet that they will sustain into adulthood. All those sweet foods we ate in childhood we no longer need as adult becos we are not growing anymore. So eating them will just cause expansion and health problems.

29. Utibe

September 28, 2015 at 10:01 am

Well done Busayo. Thanks for the article. #GarriCulture

30. ceetoo

September 28, 2015 at 11:00 am

“Cassava flakes, with cream and nuts on the rocks… ” (Garri with milk, groundnut and ice cubes) That is funky enough we should use that. Oh my Secondary school days…. lol

31. zzzzzzzzzzz

September 28, 2015 at 12:26 pm

the thing is our taste for foreign food is just terrible. I ate at a buffet somtime ago and there was this maize and red beans dish that was served as an intercontinetal meal. I found it funny because it was very similar to a dish prepared in my area called ‘kwaklik’. I dare the hotel to serve kwaklik and see how many people would bother trying it. Go to our market and you will see basmati rice all over the place. I was surprised somtime back when my roomates told me they don’t eat local rice and i am not talking about Ofada. Such a shame.

32. Cece

September 28, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Oh my! The memories of our days in Patrick Okolo Hostel at the Special science school Onitsha (St Charlie) keeps flooding in as I read your article.
    While I’ll say that I really hated soaked Garri because it gets too soft and tasteless, I must say that your provisions shopping is never complete then without a little polythene bag of Garrium sulphate to help manage your beverages. My favourite used to be Garri+broken bits of oxford cabin+Bournvita.
    Well, I’m not sure my kids have drank Garri so far, but they definitely enjoy eba+ogbono soup any day.
    One thing I’ve come to realize about culture is that young adults (teens till about 30) tend to prefer Western/cosmopolitan life styles, only to frantically chase the local culture again as they age.

33. Feyi

September 28, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Kobis you mean ?Akara and bread with yamayama inside and they funkinice the name,Kara Burger Ko,Kara bread ni.

34. NUR

September 28, 2015 at 5:03 pm

I moved to London quite young and still drink garri. My parents didn’t like me doing it though apparently because of eye problems. I’m not sure how true this is. But now as an adult I still drink the occasional garri. I agree with everyone about Nigerians moving towards being modern and blah. I don’t speak my language though and I have to say that I am not proud of it, I say it with shame. After all is said and done, if I don’t eat Nigerian food I don’t feel like I’ve eaten at all and I have every intention of bringing up my children Naija style.

35. ola

September 28, 2015 at 7:50 pm

on the contrary Garri is 100% fibre, My mum has been eating eba every morning for 15 years and shes been able to combat her obesity..

• hussain

September 29, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Really how come you are able to mould it. If Na just fibre it will be falling apart not stand gidiba.

36. Bowl

September 28, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Whoever had of ekono Gowon, Oko Babangida. Finest sweets I ever had

37. Bowl

September 28, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Meant heard

38. Rayva

September 29, 2015 at 8:53 am

That is not a picture of garri……………..it looks like cuscus to me

39. Nnenna

September 29, 2015 at 8:31 pm

I don’t understand why my people love to carry unnecessary chip on their shoulder. People and their feelings of insecurity ! what has good food got to do with culture or civilization bikonu .Who cares if you want to soak garri for lunch break. I don’t know were you work but in my place nobody gives a rats ass what you got in your lunch pack. Just because you can eat banga soup and starch 5 times a day doesn’t make you more patriotic or brave than someone who prefers to eat a burger. am team if it taste good, ill eat it. Feel free and eat what you like. Only in naija were people some how are able to equate food to class or social standing. Una too dey judge. Free una self.

40. :)

September 29, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Dear Ola, garri is not fiber 🙂

41. sibo

September 30, 2015 at 4:51 am

Fast food is fast food whether nigerian or western. One thing they all have in common is the capacity to make you sick. So watch what you eat. One good thing about this age is that one can now research the nutritional value of certain food.