Features

Ewon Adenomon: Can Instagram Be Dangerous to Your Self-Esteem?

Ewon Adenomon

You might read this and ask why would Instagram affect anyone’s self esteem?

But here is the truth: if we lived in a perfect world that would be a possibility; but in our not-so perfect, technology driven world and also we as non-perfect human beings that live in it, that’s not the case.
So whether you believe in or not, Instagram can be dangerous to your self-esteem depending on how you look at it and it can affect some people’s esteem either negatively or positively.

In this our so-called world of instant fame, people are being judged by the number of likes/followers on Instagram. It’s unfortunate but it is happening.

The other day I had a chat with some of my girlfriends and one of them. For the sake of this conversation let’s call her Faith, told me that she’s been so depressed well I might be exaggerating on the depression part but you get the gist.

She said she was upset lately because of her Instagram news feed,  seeing people posting amazing pictures of their lives, signing endorsement deals (that seems to be the latest now) travelling around the world. You know what I mean, basically pictures of people living their best lives.

That being said,  if you are just like Faith and you feel like you are missing out or your life isn’t as good enough.

Here are 3 tips that can help you get over that sulky feeling!

Instagram is only a section of their lives
You really don’t know the entire story.  What might look like a perfect life to you is probably not. Some people have mastered the art of Instagram and they consciously choose to post pictures that reflect only the sunny sides of their lives, so do not be deceived.

Powerful is a business tool
Besides looking at travel, marriage, fashion pages, what else do you use Instagram for? Initially I used to fall into that trap, because if we are being completely real and honest some Instagram pages – whether it is a fashion, career or business – can make you feel like you haven’t arrived. When I realized that I could actually use Instagram to my advantage everything changed.

When used correctly, you can use Instagram to connect with like minded people, find info on several  businesses that you would like to get into, connect with future mentors. I bet you never know how much information or people you can find using Instagram. Trust me, Instagram does not need to depressing if you use it the right way.

Change your perspective
Some people are just plain Instagram addicts. Simple. When they wake up in the morning the first and most likely last thing they do everyday is to grab their iPhone or Samsung phones to check their Instagram feeds. I personally think there are more fulfilling things to do at day break but if that rocks your boat then…

So if you think you are one of those #InstagramAddicts and you just can’t turn it off your mind , here is something that can help you, give yourself a few minutes to stalk. Here is the trick: instead of complaining about your life, looking down on yourself, feeling inadequate or unsuccessful, simply change your perspective, go from bitterness to inspiration.

Use those pictures that you see to inspire yourself and believe that whatever you admire about that person’s page, you too can achieve it. Then get to the business of doing it. The good news is that you can design your Instagram life into your real life if that’s what you really want but just don’t look down on yourself if you aren’t there yet!

So let’s chat below, does Instagram affect you in a good or bad way, or are you indifferent about it? Have you found a different way of dealing with social media frenzy? I would love to know what your you think by leaving your comments below.

Love always

Ewon

Ewon Adenomon created EwonTV.com, a blog that strives to help you discover your confident self and embrace your flaws. I am a firm believer, dreamer, love to inspire, motivate and connect with people.My goal is to motivate you to make a difference by writing and sharing inspiring articles that will encourage  you to think positively and strive to reach your highest potential. Ewon graduated from Emerson College (Boston, MA) with a masters degree in Journalism and is currently an AssignmentEditor at ABC40 in Springfield,Massachusetts. To read more about my work at www.ewontv.com|Instagram and Twitter:@ewontv | Facebook: ewontv

1. ajikoko

November 22, 2015 at 4:52 pm

You are right.but it is not easy.When you realize you are still living with your parents in your early thirties and you are not working…..and you see pics of your friends overballing…..hmmmn.I think one needs to learn to be contented.But with Prayer,hardwork and persistence all things are possible.

Ewon Adenomon

November 25, 2015 at 12:48 pm

@ajikoko it’s not easy sometimes but everyone started from somewhere, for those living with their parents (its only a start) they can work to move up someday but a deep sense of gratitude is required. thanks for your comment

2. Tosin

November 22, 2015 at 5:06 pm

I’m on instagram. I don’t have a smartphone so I don’t visit a lot. To be honest, I joined because of Falz’s funny videos. I follow funny or pretty things e.g. animation, travel, architecture, food, and a few people like music celebs.

Don’t get it twisted nah, photo life is not real life. If you’re feeling oppressed, unfollow every account and carefully select new accounts to follow, on things, people or brands, you want to learn/become.

Post cool stuff, not just photograph your face all day.
    Hustle not to oppress, and thou shall not be oppressed.

Peace and hugs.

3. Instafake

November 22, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I only go on instagram for badgalriri,rihannadaily,industryonblast,funkydinevaross, relaxed and natural, makeup,and healthyfood handles. My instagram is private and i used a gigantic as my profile pic.???

4. cindy

November 22, 2015 at 5:32 pm

I’m indifferent. What interests me about instagram are the funny memes, videos, and once in a while ofofo like how I went all out on the ear-clipper’s page yesterday…….don’t judge me. He deserved it.

5. Majek

November 22, 2015 at 5:42 pm

To be sincere I am not on instagram but I have a brother who always check his feeds 24/7…. Once in a while I do go to his house I do collect some of the music celebs pictures. But when ever I got home i օքɛռ the pix I say to myself I Wɨʟʟ be great like this people even more than they are, sօ that’s what actually boost my believe that one day I Wɨʟʟ be celebrated, and end up saying #AmaWINNER….

6. emma

November 22, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Yes o! IG and other social media websites can do alot of damage to your self esteem. I remember when i first started using IG, I was so envious of those popular IG girls and their jetset lifestyle, “perfect” bodies and so on. I would always wish I was n their shoes. Then I realized that most of them are prostitutes and all the globe throttling that they do is to meet their “clients” There was no need for me to envy their lifestyles and feel bad about myself, Besides these people just putout what they want the world to see, no one knows what happens in the daily lives of these people.

7. Nicez

November 22, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Nice write up. I don’t have an instagram account because I didn’t think I would be able to keep with whole show off however it is refreshing to get a different perspective on the usage of instagram. Thank you.

8. Blueberry

November 22, 2015 at 6:16 pm

hm! I don´t have an instagram account . But same happens on facebook. However, you need alot of self confidence in this day and time, to not let all those posts and feeds bother you. My trick: I deactivate my facebook account every now and then. That way, I can focus on my life and appreciate my little steps forward.

Ewon Adenomon

November 25, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Confidence is key @blueberry but also a deep sense of gratitude for where and what you have at the moment. Thanks for reading

9. maryjane

November 22, 2015 at 6:17 pm

I don’t use instagram and I don’t plan to start using it. I have seen enough from my sister’s phone. It’s so flashy in there I can’t deal biko!

10. Blu

November 22, 2015 at 6:32 pm

I’m not on Instagram and I don’t plan to ever be on it, my friends abuse me I’m old school, but it just isn’t my thing. I don’t have anythn against ppl on Instagram, I guess ppl have different personalities. Although I’m an extrovert but I’m quite private. Prefer ppl not knowing very little about me. Blackberry and whasapp is just about enuf for me. Even my Facebook was opened for me by hubby and all d pics on dere are pics Iv been tagged in. More power to ppl dat find it entertaining.

Ewon Adenomon

November 25, 2015 at 12:40 pm

I suggest you keep it that way 🙂

11. southernbelle

November 22, 2015 at 6:49 pm

She also attended Presco. Hehe up Presco girls…. we rock!!!!

12. DD

November 22, 2015 at 8:25 pm

When you’re content and not covetous it’s possible that it can mess with your self esteem …. The Bible says no good thing shall he with old from you ..so if you don’t have it now, you will some day….another thing that’s common on IG is this make believe that life is perfect..This modern life where people rocking shoes on credit or still paying for it ..Some go as far as borrowing shoes and clothes to impress people.. …i know a few folks on instagram that are not as rich or wealthyas they make it seem, they hang out with rich kids so it rubs of on them and make them look rich as well ……while some just dont live according to the size of their coat….Young people and covertous people live above their means trying to impress people that dont care and end up being depressed …You see their almost perfect life , holiday here and there …There might be old pictures, bought shoes wear them and probably return them back to the stores …Most don’t even have jobs and they only waste the rents/aristos money ” fake people” ….only get you excited without getting affected so you end up getting afflicted … Ignore , like if you want to but don’t let it get to your self esteem ..cos it ain’t worth it

13. PRESCO chicks don't play!

November 22, 2015 at 10:52 pm

@ Southern belle U’re right! We ROCK for REAL..We’re definitely representing..Yes, I DON’T do Social media.. Call me OLD SCHOOL & that’s fine by me:)

• LumenChristi

November 23, 2015 at 12:52 am

Do Presco chicks still form for Lumen boyz?????

• PRESCO CHICKS don't play

November 23, 2015 at 3:47 am

@ LumenChristi lmao.. Was up 🙂 why wouldn’t we form for y’all ?? JK.. Archbishop P.E.Ekpu’s products are everywhere & all OVER :)) Well keep representing

• LumenChristi

November 24, 2015 at 7:24 am

Haha 🙂 , of course we will keep representing.

14. inspiredbyarese

November 23, 2015 at 6:05 am

Arese once said in a financial discuss not to allow ones reel affect your reality. These words have helped me soooo much!

15. So who is on Instagram?

November 23, 2015 at 9:39 am

When everybody is now forming ‘I am not on instagram” or “i only follow food, travel, architecture’… biko who are the people that are on instagram and following those people that put pressure on them? issokay.
    I am on instagram and I am there to basically enjoy myself, all this pressure and all of that starts from home training and ultimately as u grow training ur mind .
    When I went to boarding house a few years ago, I noticed that a lot of people had variety pack and I kept pressuring my parents to buy for me. Finally they bought for me, but before my mum handed to me she told me to always have it at the back of my mind that if they don’t buy something for me, it’s not because they don’t love me but because they probably can’t afford or I did not really need it and she went ahead to tell me about contentment.
    Since that day, I hardly ever envy people. Infact, it’s so bad that if i see someone showing off too much , there’s sth that goes to tell my brain that the person is doing juju…..LOL! It is sha working for me anyway.
    That said, I really think the prayer of contentment is a good prayer point in this time and age.

16. Mz_daniels

November 23, 2015 at 10:02 am

It’s difficult to talk about social media junkies via if you go by my social media pages, you think I’m levels lower than I really am. Not a picture person and I hv a challenge with uploading every second of my life but I don’t judge those who do cos I’d probably be doing it if I wasn’t a private person. That said, anyone who has esteem issues cos of Instagram has deeper issues abeg. Everyone knows not all that glitters……

17. Ada

November 23, 2015 at 10:08 am

For me if you have a good foundation at an early stage in life maybe from your parent or you got it by inspirations around you , you will never be moved by anything , foundation of ur identity n purpose in life and if you didn’t get that foundation early in life ,you can work on it one day at a time , trust social media is miss leading , I know a lot a lot of well know pple on IG that r living the glit n glam life but for real it’s a sadness for them , my dear ladies n gentlemen you can need anything or anybody to validate you other then God , I need my wedding n almost one year in marriage n Non of my wedding pictures or pregnancy pictures on IG , trust me I own a business n kinda popular in my industry but no one knows my personal life matter , my business are in all platform on social media n personal I am too but it drives down to my job , I always say I don’t care about likes n followers to me it’s my cheques that’s comes in that count for , I do Multi national job too n nobody knows , that’s just me , am more òn Pinterest n IG cos of work inspiration n ideals , I follow company’s then individual … Anyways that’s what the 21st century comes with

18. Mz Titilitious

November 23, 2015 at 11:01 am

I’m on instagram i follow people that followed me, if i follow u and u dont reciprocate i unfollow same as twitter! all i do there is download funny videos twerkin videos, pictures, post my pictures etc. even Bellanaijaweddings sef i no follow them coz they dont follow back, i go there browse and leave shikena! Instagram lifestyle can even bring down my self esteem in anyway because of what you see there e get as e be.. There was a day i saw one babe’s pix and was like wow this babe is fresh, cool until i saw under one of her pix where she wrote *if you need sugardaddies i was like oh so this is?most of dem babes are u knw…..

19. Tee

November 23, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Nice article! Thanks for educating me. I don’t know what instagram is, haven’t seen one before not for the reason you pointed out though. I’m just that very basic girl, I only read blogs like this when I have a chance to or less busy at work. I got a negative vibe about facebook in 2006 from a friend and I’m not on it either. Anyway, just like some people don’t see anything wrong with social media bcos they know how it works doesn’t mean it’s bad for others. If you can deal with it, why not? But for people that are inbetween, stick to the advice above.

20. Awhotu

November 23, 2015 at 4:29 pm

I love Instagram inshort I am an addict.Anybody that loves to snap is instaready.I follow people that are fashionable,workout videos,makeup videos eT al.Anybody that’s depressed cause of the gram has got deeper issues Mbok.