Features

#BN2015Epilogues: Victory Stepped Out of His Comfort Zone & Into His Victories

BellaNaija.com

Last year BellaNaija Features put together an inspiring feature series to round off the year. The 2014 Epilogues featured 10 real people who took an introspective look at their year and wrote about it. This year, we decided to make the call public to our readers. {Click here if you missed it} It is our hope and desire that we will have enough entries to have a story up every day from the 1st to the 31st of December. We have received an impressive number of entries and we hope that you will share yours with us.

We kicked off the series with the entry by Jennifer G and Morountodun. Today, we bring you Victory’s story.

***
Jess: Victory, Bellanaija is taking articles on how the year has been.
Me: Ehen, how that one take concern me? Are the articles like testimonies or what? What’s the content meant to look like?
Jess: It’s about how your year has been.
Me: What do I stand to gain?
Jess: Not anything monetary, but you get to inspire others
Me: Really?
Jess: Lemme send you links.

Well you are reading this article right now. This simple conversation above is a nice description of how my 2015 has been.

I remember not even knowing or understanding how I felt at the crossover night into 2015. “What was this year set to bring forth for me?” I had finished youth service, and I was jobless. Interestingly, the favour market (not labour market o) had gone dry of favours to give. No jobs, all the ease I thought I was going to experience once I finished service vanished. Here was I facing the year 2015, a clean slate, nothing written on it. I prayed and hoped it was going to be great.

All I had was my blog, awesome friends, and a supportive family. The year started with me filing many applications and submitting CV’s. First of all, I came out of service with the ‘continue with the career you studied in school’ talk. By the time I carry eye see market ehn, this Engineer was more than willing to convert to Banking, or anything that was going to keep him busy. Oh well, all still to no avail.

You know how it goes, when people ask, “what are you doing now, are you not done with service?” You simply say “I’m basically doing self development, reading some books and listening to motivational messages.” But deep within your mind, you ask yourself “Nna mehn, when you sef go see job na? Na book go bring money, or you fit chop book?”

I decided to take running my blog more seriously, I got really inspired and I wrote a couple of unique articles. I got new contacts add me up when they read those articles. I had a new influx of people in my life. I love people, and I am a people person, so I had no issues with that.
One day in March, I got a broadcast on my BBM from one of these new friends, requesting for the services of someone that was willing to work from home. As a kind guy that I am, I first sent the message to all my jobless guys, saying “See this opportunity o, try it out.” It was much more later, that I applied. Guess what? I got the job at the end of the process! 🙂

A few months down the line, the job opportunity left my hands. These companies always have one nice poetic reason for sending you away.. Hehe.. I moved on. Out of the blues, a friend called me to help out with his startup, it required me working from home as well. I was wondering if I was called to the startup ministry sef (because the last job too was with a startup). I accepted the offer and got busy. It took a lot of my time, and a lot of my mind was exercised. I always ensured that I met goals and I was personally fulfilled to earn the fair pay that I was being given.

I also decided to be more dedicated in church by joining a department. I decided to be more consistent and to not be an outsider. If I truly claimed to be a child of God, I had to do more than come to church and disappear right after the service. My experiences in the drama department brought a lot of color to my life.

I didn’t enter the new year with any notebook containing goals, or new year resolutions, I just wanted to make the best out of it. Suddenly, out of the blues, an idea hit me, “move from your freely hosted blog platform, to your own domain.” I planned for a few months, and got it done (Thanks to my website designing brother). Another idea came too saying “why not write an eBook?” I wrote an eBook that has helped so many people today titled ‘5 Crazy Lessons Blogging Taught Me’

Many of the major steps I took were so random, and how I got to know about them was really random as well. But I didn’t keep a closed or rigid mind, I was willing to explore them!

I was driving one sunny afternoon with my cousin when he received a random broadcast from someone he barely chats with, about a job in our vicinity, and that same day (that we saw the message) was the deadline. Like hungry lions spotting a weak deer, we pounced on the offer immediately and applied. We both got accepted for training, and he later got a better job, while I continued with the job.

I got brand new channels of support and strength from the people who decided to add me up after reading up some of my articles. Many of them just did it as a step of faith, and not knowing what to expect (like what if I was a dragon?) but I am glad they did.

The truth is:
“Many times, people in your life will get tired of you, and get used to you. It’s not because your worth or value dropped, but that their sight became dimmer because of the more of you they saw.”

This doesn’t mean that everyone previously in your life is not useful. There are friends I am grateful for, I call them ‘carriers’ because they are basically there, constantly encouraging you, showing you your true worth and supporting you. But these new, formerly unknown folks are part of the random in the year that I am grateful for. So much support from people I couldn’t dream of, and so much commitment from people I never knew.

There were a couple of disappointments and failures in the year 2015 that I came across, but the joys are greater! This year, I learnt that the tough situations that we all go through, build us up for the challenges ahead, and the glories that we must partake of. There is no victory without a battle, no warrior that hasn’t shed blood. We must be willing to fight and take chances we have! The year 2015 is a year I am glad I got to see, because this foundation is going to get a building on it soon enough.

Have you been very skeptical about new experiences or walking out of your comfort zone? Have you been so afraid of the random chances, situations, that have appeared in your life that you didn’t expect? It’s time to start to take them, one after the other, regardless of how small they may look, or how mighty as they may seem. Will you try and try again?

“Don’t wait for the perfect moment to make a move. There just may never be a perfect moment. Take that step any way.”

I just took one by writing this article that stemmed out of a little info from a random chat with someone I once never knew. Embrace the random, because in the random and the unseen, lies what will lead you to all you have been searching for!

Photo Credit: Dreamstime |  Mimagephotography

1. Delta geh

December 3, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Great read!

2. Babytohcute

December 3, 2015 at 2:07 pm

That was a refreshing read and I understand the jobless ish. However, thank you victor for sharing that. #embracetherandom

December 5, 2015 at 2:00 pm

You are welcome.. Thanks for taking the time out to read 🙂

3. bumble bee

December 3, 2015 at 6:11 pm

OMG!!! Thank you bellanaija!! And Victor for this!! I have been given hope by this article, like you were I just completed service in lagos and i’m jobless, I’ve applied to over 20 or more companies and no feedback from even one!! Every1 keeps saying ahah it is lagos and you are a legal practitioner job shouldn’t be hard, I wish I can say same, but I have faith as big as a mountain and I know it’ll get better soon and my story will be featured in 2016 epilogue by God’s grace and many people will be uplifted by the way I am with your story. God bless you.

December 5, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Amen!! I’m certain that we’ll hear of your testimonies soon enough.. Things will surely work out for your good. Don’t give up, don’t stop trying, it’s a temporary phase! Thanks for commenting bumble bee 🙂

4. Awesome

December 3, 2015 at 7:41 pm

‘this little light of mine, am gonna let it shine’, that’s my mantra from your article.Thanks victor and Bellanaija for sharing this.

December 5, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine!!! I’m glad you got to read this 🙂

5. Miller

December 4, 2015 at 9:03 am

That’s Mr VictoryPath himself, great inspiration to me, mentor of life, yes am famzing. Greater things V.I. Ogunjo

December 5, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Heheh.. Mr Miller! Thank you 🙂 Im joyful that you are inspired

6. Folu

December 4, 2015 at 10:40 am

Lol @ miller. Your famzing isn’t pure. His surname is Odunjo, not Ogunjo. Thanks for sharing Victory. Refreshing read.

December 5, 2015 at 2:09 pm

LOL. Folu oo.. You made me laugh so hard 🙂 I’m sure the correction has been noted! Thanks for reading dear

7. bimbo

December 4, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Wonderful piece from an exceptional padi….victorious victory

8. Pizl'

December 4, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Great one Victory. Sure this has inspired a lot of pple. Thank you for this piece.

9. Ebuetse Mercy

December 4, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Great article Victory! Lesson well learnt from the simple things of life.

December 5, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Yes Mercy.. There’s always something to learn from life. Thank you

10. Faith

December 4, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Amazing read from my darry. Always inspiring others. Great read

December 5, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Awwwwn.. Thanks dorra! That’s how we roll na *wears shades*

11. Abiodun Arije

December 4, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Respect baba!! #TheVictoryPath always inspired to inspire.

12. Emmanuel Buchy Ezimechine

December 4, 2015 at 6:03 pm

With your writeups I consider you one of my greatest encourager, thanks so much for helping us find the importance of doing personal appraisal of 2015 through your intellectual spectacles. keep on winning Victory Odunjo!

December 5, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Thanks Emmanuel Buchy.. It’s a huge privilege to be one you count worthy of being your encourager. We dey for each other bro

13. Simi Bello

December 4, 2015 at 7:25 pm

What a lovely article Victory. Thanks for sharing…

December 5, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Thanks Love!! It’s a privilege to be doing this 🙂

14. kanyin

December 4, 2015 at 8:26 pm

I just couldn’t pass by without dropping a comment! Nice read! God bless you!

December 5, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Amen!! Thans for dropping a comment Kanyin.. It means a lot

15. Shalom Ogazi

December 5, 2015 at 12:31 am

Well done, Victory. Your story reminds me of the quote that says “When preparation meets opportunity, success is inevitable.” God bless you. Keep soaring!

December 5, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Amen! Well said Oge.. That quote truly stands out. Thanks for taking out time to read

16. Enioluwa

December 5, 2015 at 3:18 am

Wow!!! Thiis is so encouraging. Awesome post Victory

December 5, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Thanks Enny!! 🙂 I’m glad you were encouraged

17. DD

December 5, 2015 at 7:04 pm

Really lovely piece, thanks so much for sharing.

December 19, 2015 at 8:40 am

It’s a privilege DD.. I appreciate you!!

18. Onyinye

December 5, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Nice article Victory. Keep it up 🙂

19. Malvins

December 6, 2015 at 1:52 pm

A very remarkable attention-grabbing read, it was worth every bit of my time… I can really relate with this… Thanks for sharing… More ink to your pen sir… And I wish you a more blessed and greater 2016.

December 8, 2015 at 12:58 am

Thanks Malvins. I’m glad it was worth your time 🙂

20. Toyin

December 6, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Funny how i’ve been an avid reader of BN blogs and never commented till now; couldn’t help it. Victory, this is such an encouraging write-up!! Proud of your achievements. Thanks for sharing and cheers to a fabulous 2016.

December 8, 2015 at 1:04 am

Wow!! That’s really something Toyin. I’m really glad that you were encouraged to the point that you commented. You stepped out of your comfort zone by doing that as well, I must commend you. Cheers to a fabulous 2016 Toyin, it’s surely going to be a greater year. Thanks for the kind words 🙂

21. Onetallgirl

December 7, 2015 at 7:47 pm

There is no victory without a battle, this is my favorite line, i stopped and reas this quote over and over again. This epilogue was very insipration victory and im glad you wrote it. Thank you!

December 8, 2015 at 1:01 am

Truly Onetallgirl “There is no victory without a battle”. It is really worth thinking deeply about, because we all naturally shy away from challenges and battles. But to make the most out of life we must be willing to defy the usual. It’s a privilege to have written this, thanks for reading 🙂

22. Somiii

December 8, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Ahhh! Victor. Such beautiful and refreshing piece. I enjoyed reading every bit of it. Wishing you a blissfull 2016.

December 14, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Thanks a lot Somii.. I’m happy you enjoyed reasing every bit of it. I wish you a fulfilling 2016 as well

23. Madam TF

December 9, 2015 at 1:09 pm

2015, HMMMN what can I say? I had so much hope and dreams for you but it never through. Year in year out, I keep praying, fasting and having new year resolutions but its still the same. 2015 was the same. I didn’t get a new job, didn’t get that brief that will allow me set up on my own. didn’t get married or engaged, 31 is knocking in some hours, my mother thinks I should marry any guy she finds on a dating site and all. But all in all I am grateful to my creator for the gift of life. He kept me thus far for a reason. I may not have all I prayed and fasted for but I am alive thus, I cam still achieve it all.

December 14, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Madam TF! Your 2015 has been something.. As nice and smooth sailing as my life seems to have been, there have been many setbacks as well. I can’t tell you this was the year I planned out. I have decided to trust God, and stay positive. If there is anything I have learnt, it is that your time hasn’t been wasted, your efforts, prayers and fasting have not been in vain.

Our God doesn’t sleep, so your labour doesn’t go unnoticed. Kindly take your time in choosing a life partner, no one that chooses for you will stay married to whoever is chosen for the rest of their life, only you will. I know this may sound like a cliché but, still trust God, He surely has the best in store for you, and when He finally brings out his ‘joker’ , those who seemed to be ahead will see you ahead.. And I love your spirit, as long as there is life, there is hope. God isn’t slow at all. So focus on the things that matter the most and watch God show up on your behalf. Cheers to your testimony filled 2016. Keep your head up! 🙂 😉

24. Adesewa

December 11, 2015 at 10:09 pm

Refreshing read.Victory, God would keep directing your path.Keep an open eye cuz your future is great.?

December 14, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Amen! Thank you Sewa 🙂 I’ll keep my eyes opened. I’m sure you are doing the same as well. Bless you sis!