BN TV

Wendy Williams’ Views on Public Breastfeeding is causing Controversy | Watch

BN TV

Wendy Williams

Talk show host Wendy Williams is no stranger to controversy and her latest opinions, shared while interviewing a guest on her show, may have landed her in a bit of trouble with her fans.

Wendy Williams had actress Alyssa Milano on her show and the two talked about weight loss and breastfeeding. Alyssa Milano, who isn’t one to shy away from sharing her breastfeeding photos on Instagram, got into a heated debate with Wendy Williams when Wendy expressed her thoughts that the act of breastfeeding isn’t one for public spaces.

Alyssa Milano believes breastfeeding is a beautiful and natural act that shouldn’t be vilified and Wendy Williams believes breasts are fun bags because breastfeeding is only a particular amount of time, [but] the rest of your life, your breasts are sexual things.

Watch the video below and share your thoughts. Do you think it’s acceptable for women to breastfeed in public?

1. concerned

January 7, 2016 at 12:28 pm

When it comes to breastfeeding, the only one who matters is your baby. If your fellow moms feel comfortable breastfeeding in public, who are you to judge them? I personally don’t breatfeed in public, I prefer to express and then breastfeed when I’m at home. What matters is that the baby is getting breastmilk.

2. Mz Socially Awkward...

January 7, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Did Alysia just diss Wendy’s pronunciation when she repeated “the ky-ast”?… Brave woman. 🙂

And I happily fist-pumped in the air when she called BS on Wendy’s argument by asking why Miley can sashay around with suspenders hardly covering her nips but breastfeeding mums get dragged in outrage… I don’t know that it’s something I want to take a selfie of for instagram but it’s a very natural use of one’s bosoms, I guess and maybe we onlookers should just consider the photo just the same as any other which shows a baby drinking from a bottle. A natural, fleshy, booby bottle which is attached to its mum. 🙂

3. Ada Igonoh

January 7, 2016 at 1:07 pm

My baby and I were at a thanksgiving reception where a couple of people and I were being honoured. Right on the middle of the event, my baby started being fussy and I knew she was hungry. I couldn’t leave because I was a special guest and had to make a speech. So I simply reached for my nursing cover, wore it and breastfed right there. No breast exposed. Baby sucking happily. It was a win win for everyone. If you feel shy about exposing your breast, you can get a nursing cover but by all means feed that baby.

• fabulicious

January 7, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Thank you Ada and truly i have to say God bless the day that i stumbled across nursing cover. i didn’t know about it with my first and will prefer to hide somewhere to feed him not because anybody will bash me but because i was not comfortable wih bringing out my breast at all.The remaining kids were fighters for the nursing cloth but eventually gave in.
      That being said,mommas breastfeed anywhere you want to but please if you can remember to take a shawl,headtie,even wrapper..Its not about shaming us but also keeping in mind that our bodies should be private.I know there will be voltrons for this cause but imagine this scenario where all men had to bring out their penis in public because of heat(i leave it to your imagination).

4. Lem

January 7, 2016 at 1:27 pm

My view is if you must breastfeed in public do cover up which is what I do. If I go out with my baby I always have a cover cloth to enable me do my business in private without prying eyes

• Amaa

January 7, 2016 at 2:25 pm

This is so wrong .Why must you cover up is it a shameful thing to breasts feed . If you need to breast feed and don’t want to cover up by all means do it . This has nothing to do we modesty you do what you have to do to feed the baby.

• December Wind

January 7, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Amaa it’s not a question of modesty here, Of course the baby has to be fed but really nobody wanna see that… it’s not offensive or anything , just distracting .

Imagine making a speech with one breast on your baby’s mouth ( I don’t even want to mention those babies that’d be needing to hold the other breast probably for their sucking pleasure ) , imagine having an interview and breastfeeding the baby right in front of the interviewer. .. yes baby has to eat but common sense is needed biko just excuse yourself , we will totally understand

• Iris

January 8, 2016 at 1:07 am

O please that shaming argument is tired. Please get a cover. For a baby or for a man your breast is out and it is uncomfortable to see. It’s like pulling down your pants and scratching your ass in public. Yes, I just compared the two. Please get some kind of cloth. Thanks.

• Amaa

January 8, 2016 at 3:47 am

December wind . I am assuming you are male. So I am going to put a question to you. When you conduct interviews with naked or scantily dressed women are you distracted let say you are interviewing Miley Cyrus or Rihanna do you stop the interview or is it distracting. Back to the babies grabbing the other boobs while sucking on one. Picture this you are enjoying a hot plate of jollof rice ,chicken and rolling your eyes and smacking your lips that is how that baby’feels its food right there. It just that our society is becoming perverse. Back in the day when you took public transport and your baby is finicky and cranky . You hear male passengers saying madam give am breasts nah abi oga never pay your bride price. This is what is wrong with us here we celebrate B Riri when they go naked in public and can’t allow a mother feed her child with this instrument. So please let’s use common sense a little.

5. Daizzy

January 7, 2016 at 1:28 pm

I believe there are special cover clothes made for breastfeeding and it’s fine if you use this. However, I do not get women who feel the need to put their boobs on full display all in the name of breastfeeding. Please we do not wanna see your boobs on full display!

• Mrspopo1

January 7, 2016 at 2:01 pm

My baby hated me using a nursing cover. She would move it constantly or fuss until I would take it off. With having a toddler and a baby eating every 2-3 hours it hasn’t always been possible to find a private place to nurse so I’ve nursed in public and without a cover. The law protects my rights to feed my child in public because it’s natural, sanitary and what God intended breasts to be used for. I can’t fathom how in society we have come to accept women flashing their breasts, wearing pasties, etc but a woman breastfeeding without a cover, holy jesus things have gone too far. Become educated and less ignorant people, way bigger problems out there.

6. prince

January 7, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Biko breastfeed anytime and anywhere, sexual materials that are more important than your child. some of this people no just get brain abi their brain dey leak

7. Odididi

January 7, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Publicly brandashing your boobies in public to breastfeed ur baby is a no no for me. Seeing it gets me a lil bit irritated. I mean some people stylishly try to cover it up a bit which is ok. But some lady i saw last week at a bus stop just finished breastfeeding her bbaby and “forgot” to close up her boobies as she was conversing with a conudctor. Omo the breast was in his face!! Like everytn!! Wtf???? Pls express and leave your boobies for private viewing.

8. Mide

January 7, 2016 at 2:12 pm

I have always thought Wendy Williams augers some sort of personality disorder or other mental illness. Why anyone listens to her is beyond me

9. onyinye

January 7, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Double standards i must say…Rihanna wore that sheer thing at an event, with her breasts in full public glare and Fashion police called her “best dressed”. Kim K did that naked “PAPER” cover and they say she broke the internet. Madonna showed her bare breasts at a fashion show and they say she revolutionized fashion……………. I breastfeed my kid in public and you say its indecent exposure…………Gerarahia joor!

• anonymous

January 7, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Thank you so much for this!!

• Sylvia

January 7, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Hian! See all the people you’re comparing yourself to. Rihanna? Madonna? Pop stars? When did they become measurements of public acceptance? What is wrong with people these days? How about Michelle Obama and Kate Middleton? Now, when it comes to the issue of public breastfeeding in which the breast is actually visible, it all depends on the type of person the mother is. For instance, someone who is comfortable wearing a bikini at a public beach will definitely see nothing wrong in it. It’s just that we live in a selfish world where people only care about themselves, even if you’re okay exposing your breast in public, are you sure the person sitting beside you is comfortable with it? But they will use the innocent child as an excuse as if there aren’t other options than exposure.

• S!

January 8, 2016 at 12:09 am

Lmao!
      Gerarahia Mehn Shi!

10. Chicks

January 7, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Abeg cover your breast joor if you must breast feed in public! Pooing and urinating are natural physiological functions too but you don’t see people exposing their privates to do their business even when on the road. You don’t see men bring out their penises or women open down their butt all in the name of peeing. IMO opening breast in public all in the name of breastfeeding is crude and seems dirty. Most of the time I see women do it, they just open the breast down and put the baby mouth on the nipple with the rest of the breast on display, mistchewww. Abeg cover up. There are clothes made for those or better still there are feeding areas which you can make use of. Another thing again, I just see most of them just bring out their breastsand put the baby mouth on it without wiping their breasts with clean cloth and water(damp clean cloth), gross!!

• Spanish Guitar

January 7, 2016 at 10:51 pm

No offence, but you sound like you have never had to breastfeed a baby. There are breast wipes but I am very sure that sometimes a frazzled mother might forget to pull out one and wipe when her baby is screaming like a banshee… in public.
      whilst I am not one for breastfeeding in public, I wouldn’t begrudge anyone who does.
      P.s- I cannot count the number of penises I have seen pulled out in public under the guise of urinating. Lol.

• Idomagirl

January 8, 2016 at 5:08 pm

You’re really comparing passing out waste with feeding a hungry child? There’s something seriously wrong somewhere.

11. Emlizzy

January 7, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Please its always good to cover up, ur breast is not for public consumption. I feed my children exclusively for 9 months so I know what I’m saying. Babies must always say suck daddy will always be jealous. Nursing cover will balance it or baby shoal if u can’t afford the latter.

12. Felinda

January 7, 2016 at 5:12 pm

I love Alyssa Milano
    So glad she is mom now
    You can tell she is so not hollywood and all into her momness which is the greatest gift in life
    Fcuk Hollywood.
    I am also happy she did not marry an actor.
    I am all for public breastfeeding. Africans in africa have mouth to talk and give your opionion, when african disgusting men our whipping out their dicks and peeing on the road side everyday, even educated ones. #TeamPublicBreastFeeding

13. Mama Ijebu

January 7, 2016 at 5:23 pm

All these people you have mentioned won’t even breastfeed in public. Take Kim for example, have you ever seen a picture of her breastfeeding in public. See the issue is not breastfeeding per-say.. The issue here is, while trying to do something sensible. I.e. feeding your child, the whole breast and nipple can get exposed during that process which is actually not intended and the whole environment become awkward. I don’t know if you get me. So the problem is not showing the breast, the problem is showing the breast when it isn’t your intention to.

I wish I could explain myself well on this matter.

14. molarah

January 7, 2016 at 7:57 pm

I’m not even sure public breastfeeding is actually a social headache on this side of the Atlantic Ocean. The issue of double standards – allowing women to show cleavage but preventing them from feeding babies with the same tool – doesn’t even come up because overt bodily exposure is frowned upon in Africa. Abeg, let’s drink Panadol for our own headaches.

15. 'Deola

January 7, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Hmmm…I am kind of wondering how natural it will be to feed a baby under-40 °C weather condition, wind chill et al.. There have been times I have been pressed out in the country and it would have been a relief to just unzip, irrigate the land and holla at the bears.

Nature, in some cases, does not encourage it. The minute you are in a crowded place where there is a ‘controlled’ temperature and all, my thinking is you might be tempted to control your natural instincts too. It balls down to how the environment has been engineered.

I just dey check the logic of nature ni o!

16. Nabilah

January 8, 2016 at 1:56 am

I personally won’t yank out my boob (nips and all) in full view of everyone to breastfeed. And I am fully breastfeeding my 4 and half month old daughter.
    I’m just more inventive with covering the boob and feeding at the same time, without trapping her under the heat of the cloth.
    Necessity they say is the mother of invention. That being said, if one is determined to show little or no boob while breastfeeding in public, it just takes ingenuity. Once again, in my opinion and from my very present experience.

17. ruth

January 8, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Everyone has their own opinions on breast feeding. Wendy doesn’t like it for her obvious reasons and Alyssa doesn’t see anything wrong in public breast feeding, The children should be the focal point, provided the child is well fed.. all and good, but please mothers should cover their boobs when feeding em

18. Idomagirl

January 8, 2016 at 5:10 pm

I don’t get why people are so bothered by public breastfeeding, if you don’t like what you see, look the other way, afterall there’s so much out there that we don’t like but we either look away or bear in silence.

I’m not saying mothers shouldn’t use a cover while feeding, I’m speaking directly to those who are bothered by it, cover or not.