News

Court Dissolves Marriage of 33 Years in Lagos after Husband revealed that his Wife beats him “almost every day”

dreamstime_s_13979030Unable to withstand further beatings from his wife of 33 years, E* (surname withheld) , 58, on Wednesday secured a divorce from his wife, (name withheld).

“My wife wants to kill me, she beats me almost every day with dangerous weapons. On three occasions, she broke my leg, preventing me from going out for days. Due to her frequent beating, I got paralysed in 2012 and that made the beating unabated,” the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) quotes the man as pleading.

An Igando Customary Court in Lagos dissolved the marriage, as its president, Adegboyega Omilola said he was convinced that the couple could no longer live together as the petitioner insisted on divorce after several interventions.

“The court has no choice than to dissolve the union in spite of the fact that the wife still claims she loves her husband. The couple can no longer stay together because the marriage has broken down totally: both parties are no longer husband and wife, they are free to go their separate ways,” Omilola ruled.

The man, who is a retired civil servant, had approached the court to dissolve his 33-year-old marriage over alleged battering by his wife. He said that this wife, with whom he had five children, was always threatening his life through battering, and that he was afraid she might kill him one day.

He also accused his wife of turning his children against him, thereby making them to hate him.

“[She] succeeded in creating enmity between me and my children, she tells them false and damaging stories about me in order for them to hate me. So, my children only care for her by sending her money and other items every month, without extending their love to me. They always ignore me as if I do not exist,” the battered husband said.

The petitioner also described his wife as a thief that was always stealing his money, rendering him financially broke. He said it became so bad that he could no more keep money at home because of his wife’s penchant for stealing.

“She is not always satisfied with the money I give her, in spite of the fact that my children always send her money every month,” the petitioner said.

The petitioner added that his wife also starved him of food and sex. He appealed to the court to dissolve the marriage, saying that “I am no longer interested in the marriage, I don’t want to die now, more so that I am out of love”. The respondent also said that she had never stolen her husband’s money.

1. divorce after 33 years?

April 20, 2016 at 2:50 pm

This is pathetic!

There are male an female abusers everywhere!

• Damilola

April 21, 2016 at 3:16 am

Some women are physically and verbally abusive. They find it acceptable, but be the first to cry domestic violence if the man fights back. Violence is violence. Men don’t often speak out about it bcos it makes them look weak. And this whole men shouldn’t hit women has given women ridiculous excuse to abuse their men and they usually get away with it. Women, stop it. It’s unacceptable.

2. Robin Hood

April 20, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Linda Ikeji and her supporters, what do you have to say about this? women laying their hands on men…. actually carrying out physical body harm in addition to verbal assault

• Corolla

April 20, 2016 at 4:11 pm

The same thing we say to men who beat or threaten to beat women.

3. mrs chidukane

April 20, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Na wa oh. So you allowed her to paralyze you before you borrowed sense? Anyway, better late than never. What a woman.

4. Tunmi

April 20, 2016 at 3:19 pm

I’m glad he got out. But, this writing perplexed me. We usually get more than two sentences for each side to tell their story. The woman’s defense is two sentences, péré.

5. Wanderlust _Trekeffect

April 20, 2016 at 3:22 pm

“The mother of five added that she used to cook for her husband whenever he gave her money for food.
    She begged the court not to grant her husband’s prayer that she was still in love with him.”

She sounds fishy to me, makes me wonder how many men are also suffering from this sort of violence from women but are ashamed to speak of it considering that they are supposed to be the stronger sex. It’s easier for women to seek help but it’s a lot more difficult for men, study has shown that they learn how to mask their problems and depression by developing addictions.
    I personally know a guy who has been emotionally abused by his female partner of over 35yrs as I have personally witnessed it on various occasions.
    I hope someday we can realise that we ladies aren’t the only victims of abuse and that there will also be organizations that address violence against men.

6. 2sidesofacoin

April 20, 2016 at 3:24 pm

…and there is always 2 sides to a story!!!!

• Engoz

April 20, 2016 at 4:13 pm

This statement irritates me and it’s definitely not applicable here. Do you think the courts would not hear the other side before granting divorce? The man’s life obviously was in danger of his wife.

• anonymous

April 20, 2016 at 4:36 pm

See them. “There are always 2 sides to a story”
      But if it were the other way round, you wouldn’t wait to hear the “other side of the story” before swinging into emotional outbursts about how men are rapists or women beaters.

Yeye

7. Nahum

April 20, 2016 at 4:08 pm

This poor man lived in misery for 33 years and could not say anything because no one would believe him. So sad!!! More men need to speak up

8. Corolla

April 20, 2016 at 4:10 pm

She should be jailed too! Crazy woman.

9. Bleed Blue

April 20, 2016 at 4:28 pm

This woman sounds like hell on earth! Poor man must have lived in such misery all this while! ;(

And what about the effect on their five children? Though grown now, they must have witnessed some of this in their childhood.

And she’s begging the court not to dissolve the marriage? Some psycho behavior her, I’m just weak.

10. feranmi

April 20, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Wow. The lady should be jailed if true + who are these mango parks saying there are sides of a story. Does it look like what u r saying?

Say no to all form of violence against humanity

11. Niyoola

April 20, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Thank God he borrowed sense and left the marriage. What if you were permanently paralysed or killed,.
    Hian!

12. Jojononz

April 20, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Violence is violence ,male or female………. God forbid it was the woman being beaten every day. Who even advocates for these men out there being assaulted by women?.

13. Where are You Lot ???

April 20, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Lmao ! Only 15 comments ???..Oh lawd, if this story read the other way round, this place would be up in flames with comments!.. Where are the default Nigerian men bashers ? Pls bash this one for being a sissy. Double standards anyone ?

14. disgusted girl

April 20, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Look at the hypocrisy. If it was the other way round, there would be hundreds of comments. Now you have an idiot asking for 2 sides of the story. Feminazis are pest of this blog and generation. Smh

15. disgusted girl

April 20, 2016 at 9:19 pm

equality is a two way street, not just women but men too should be acknowledged when they experience things like this

16. Curios?

April 20, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Like i always say there is no good or bad gender…there are only gud or bad ppl. I dnt fight for domestic violence bcos its a woman thats involved, but bcos a human being which cud hav been my sis or mum or daughter is involved.
    I wonder why we only have 15comments….where are all d “nigeria men are bad” ppl.
    For those talking about advocacy group for men…hehehe…trust me, if u are d man u might prefer 2die in silence…than go tell ppl ur wife is beatin u…nigerians go laf u die.

17. PD Young Billionaire

April 20, 2016 at 10:58 pm

Madam,why now?Wetin una Oga do you???And you said you are still in love?Issokay…

18. yea

April 20, 2016 at 11:38 pm

yea good as he divorced her..the first day my horseband beat me..6months after the so called wedding,i ve hated him..no lov again we just cohabiting.

• Ijebujesha

April 21, 2016 at 10:14 am

Why don’t you discuss it with him, tell him how hurtful it has been and try give him anothet chance? And you said ‘the first time’, has he been beating you again since that time?

19. The real dee

April 21, 2016 at 2:15 am

Hypocrisy of the highest order. Where are all the women always bashing men left, right and center? They have refused to leave a comment. Meanwhile on the article about the hair salon owner who got beat by her husband, they were bashing men everywhere. No woman deserves to get beaten, in the same vein, no man should be beaten by his wife.

Let’s be real, we women can be so biased towards men sometimes. So now that a man had been beaten by his wife, we don’t have a voice anymore. Maybe he deserved to get beat just because he is a man. There was a social experiment to prove this, a woman was being slapped in public by her boyfriend and all the women stopped to intervene but when they switched roles, and the man was getting beat up, they just passed by like nothing was happening.

It is because we are so biased that men who are going through domestic violence keep shut. Believe it or not, there are men who are being emotionally, brutally and violently harassed by women. Imagine that man was your brother, cousin, best friend, would you be glad his wife was beating him up? We need to be balanced in our judgment.

20. Tosin

April 21, 2016 at 11:38 am

“I don’t want to die now”
    I don’t blame you nwanne.

21. Puzzles

April 21, 2016 at 1:15 pm

I sympathasize with the man. No one deserves to be maltreated by their spouse. Thank you BN for proving you’re not biased by posting this story. Some men are also victims of physical abuse.

That being said, there’s something fishy about this story. Am i the only one who noticed that the man said the woman has turned his children against him and they treat him like he doesnot exist? It seems like it should be the other way round if this man is really a victim of domestic abuse. What i mean is, children are more likely to side with the abusee rather than the abuser. I know of a man who was a victim if domestic abuse. It stopped when the children who have been observers had grown older. That day, they surrounded the mum and beat her up. That was the last day the mother ever raised their hands against the father.

Or is it possible the woman is using jazz on the children? Anything is possible in this naija.

Please, all victims of domestic abuse, male or female, RUNAWAY!

22. gift

April 21, 2016 at 2:09 pm

i really need to see this woman, she must be huge to be able to beat a man.