News

FG to launch ₦59.7 billion Youth-In-Agriculture Scheme this September

NAN

woman on farm in nigeria | Photo credit Nsoedo Frank foto.com.ngIbadan, April 3, 2016 (NAN) Dr Nteranya Sanginga, Director-General, International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), on Sunday said the Federal Government would launch a ₦59.7 billion Youth-In-Agriculture Scheme in September.

Sanginga, who disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ibadan, said the scheme would be sponsored by the federal government and African Development Bank (AFDB).

The director-general said IITA would train those enrolled in the scheme, adding that beneficiaries would be trained on how to make agriculture a business with good networking.

“The programme tagged Enable Youth Empowerment Agribusiness Programme, will engage youths in agribusiness for 18 months to enable them learn how to make agric business plan.”

Each will be given between 25,000 US Dollars and 300,000 US Dollars as loan to start a business.

The programme started by IITA in 2012, was taken over by the federal government and AFDB to create employment in agric sector.

To support this objective, the programme will be extended to 36 states and Abuja in September.

“After the programme, we expect the youths to become chief executive officers of factories, companies and creators of jobs rather than job seekers,” he said.

Sanginga urged the youths to develop positive mindset in agriculture and take good advantage of the programme.

“They should be serious with the training because at the end of it only those who did well will be rewarded,” he said. (NAN)

Photo Credit: foto.com.ng/Nsoedo Frank

1. M&

April 4, 2016 at 8:21 am

Hmm…maybe it’s time to dust off that my B.Agric certificate. Hope this goes as good as or even better than youwin…

2. truth

April 4, 2016 at 8:45 am

hopefully, those who needs these loans will get it; but most likely as we know Nigerian politricks, most of the money will either disappear or be given to friends and family members . My hope is that this scheme actually becomes productive over time and help Nigeria lower its agricultural imports to at least 50%. #ihavehopefornigeria’sfuture

3. Kehinde

April 4, 2016 at 9:57 am

Have you heard about or do you know about agribusiness and its impact in the Nigerian economy if taken as a serious business venture in Nigeria? Maybe you do not. However, in order to enlighten and encourage Nigerians to venture into this greatly untapped ”gold mine”, I have decided to discuss about this sector of the economy in the second quarter (April, May and June) of the year 2016.
    Today, on ‪#‎GreatMindswithKeny‬, Agribusiness, which is majorly farming for commercial purposes will be discussed with Mrs Oluwaseun Adetosoye, the C.E.O. of Highsoles Farm tours, on Unilag 103.1FM from 1pm to 1.30pm.
    Please tune in at 1pm and I am sure that you will learn a lot. Have a wonderful week!

• Samuel

April 4, 2016 at 11:01 am

@kehinde please how can I listen to your programme online ? I’m outside the country.
      This is what we need, Announcements of government plans with precise timelines, now we just need the government to move with more pace and better engage the populace, not the poor performances of Femi Adesina, Garba Shehu so far.

• Bello julius

February 14, 2017 at 2:43 pm

My name is julius and i’m 24years old from Adavi LGA of kogi state. I grew up a farmer and haven’t gotten a diploma on mathematical sci. Here am i no job. I have choosen a project and have done extensive research on palm tree and i discover that i can vnture into the business. I have secure over 300hecter of land that has over 2000 palm tree, that are no longer in use. I’m going to start working there either i have access to loan or not, what i’m asking you is to help me get start up quickly thanks

4. mrs chidukane

April 4, 2016 at 10:31 am

Very nice.

5. Tosin

April 4, 2016 at 11:18 am

I am ready.
    But I do not have one agric bone in my body…erm, ok. I do love food though. I pray things go excellently with this program.

6. Sika

April 4, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Yeah yeah! The funding is to grow GMO seeds. They are going to train our farmers to go into GMO agric business. This country’s leaders have no vision. They will trap us in Nigeria to be dependent on GMO seeds that monsanto and sygenta produce. Then our soil will no longer be able to grow our own local seeds – Because the chemistry of the soil will be polluted. This means that we will be dependent on Big agric businesses like monsanto for seeds to grow our food. A man that controls your food controls you. Foolish leaders. Akinwumi adesina started this when he was minister of Agriculture. He introduced GMO (did his masters bidding) so they rewarded him with ADB – now he is using that position to push policies for American companies. Rockefeller and all put money in this too. I weep for Naija. Akinwumi adesina God will punish you! Working for a slave master! Coon! Bella you better post my comment. This generation needs to wake up and stop snoozing!

7. Dtruth

April 4, 2016 at 5:23 pm

@Sika….wow…great to come across a conscious and illuminated Nigerian mind……but unfortunately the rest of Nigeria’s youth whom are supposed to be on this post are on Wizkid and Linda Ikeji’s posts…..

8. Rach

April 4, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I have been wondering how GMO will enter Naija, I guess they finally found a way. This is very bad you guys, no one, I mean no one should participate in this program. Simple explanation, you cannot save your corn seeds for next planting season like we normally do, you have to buy Monsanto’s and also their fertilizers and herbicides. Google Monsanto if you doubt me and see how they wear gas masks to spread fertilizers and herbicides. Tell me how that food is fit for human consumption?. A lot of diseases that are prevalent in the US today can be traced back to GMO foods. Companies in the US are trying to get away from it but its too late cos the land has been polluted and cannot take the natural seeds anymore. Next will be genetically modified fish, cows, lambs, etc. WE ARE IN REAL TROUBLE IF THIS GOES THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!