Features

Isio Knows Better: “Aunty, I No Get Change” ATM Woes & Other Cashless Society Struggles

Isio 3God knows that I did not do a bad thing when I decided to branch one store like dat to buy some home accessories items. I bought everything I bought and the bill came to (let’s say) N6,542. Okay, no problem. I gave them (the cashier and Manager) N7,000, only to be told they did not have any change. I looked at the manager who told me that I could also pay with my ATM card, na e I commot ATM card 1 give Oga Manager.

The moments the POS swallowed my card were unusually long. Aga Manager looked at me, told me (with beta English), “Oh don’t worry, madam, it will soon go through, it’s jest the network.” I smiled my understanding softly and nodded. Before I knew it, he had punched CANCEL

Horrified, I shrieked, “Why would you do that?”

He said it was not a problem, that the network was just too slow, and that he had terminated it to start afresh another transaction with another card. He asked me if I had another card, to which I responded yes, and handed him ATM Card 2, and collected the previous.

Sharp, sharp… the second one went like a charm. They were happy, and I was happy, and just as I was about to smilingly retrieve my goods from the sales attendant who held them lovingly up to me, I got the sing-song tone that was my SMS alert – and then another one, almost simultaneously. And then it hit me… all I could say was, “Please Jesus, don’t let it be what I think it is.”

It turned out it was. Both banks had debited me sha. L’oro kan, I had been double billed.

Long story short, Oga Manager’s perfect English disappeared. He couldn’t return my money, I was displeased. He promised me my bank (ATM 1’s bank) would refund my money, I wanted to know how, since his POS didn’t print out a declined slip. He talked some more – basically tried to convince me that he was right. I just tayah for the mata. I walked into that shop happy as a kite, but left, squeezing face like onions. Pstchewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Yes, it is still peppering me, as I never got my money back.

First of all, for a cashless society, the “system/server” of many payment portals leave a lot to be desired. Who has ever been to an ATM, and the moment the machine was to vomit your cash, you hear the krrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr but see nothing, receive nothing. Just the ATM opening its mouth bearing nothing and its computer brain (in that Lord Of The Rings Witchcraft voice) saying, “Thank you for banking with us…”

How? Se kin se wipe awom aiye ti won ekpe fun ATM yii sha? Abi iru ere rada-rada wo le’leyi bayii? Eez ga ju.

[Translation in Nigerian English: WHAAAAT?! Hope it is not that the world of principalities have measured the swear for this ATM? Or what manner of rough-play is this one now? Na wa o].

And at that moment of exasperation I got an SMS alert, my bank happily informing me that my last transaction had been debited from my account. I took that one too up with both banks. I signed a few forms, talk-talk-talk until saliva finish from my mouth. Una no go kee pesin for this Lagos.

Yes, I am very aware of my kobos and nairas. My mother is an accountant, worked in a bank for 30 years, and in this regard, the Urhobo apple did not fall far from the tree at all. Before I left the country for my Masters, I did an 18-month financial plan where I diligently projected how I intended to spend the money I was taking with me (monthly, quarterly, yearly), the money I was leaving behind (a spread sheet of what it was for and how it should be spent), the money I would spend for the 6 months post-return to Lagos, and made sure to secure and hide the back-up to my back-up plan in case of incasity. Oh yes o. I cannot fit to shout. My mother once teased me that even though she was an accountant by profession, my money counting and management skills put hers to shame. I beamed and took no offence, but rather took it as a compliment as I no fit lie, I count my kobos very, very well.

What?! How can you blame me? I have been working and saving my kobos since I was 17 years old. Pffffft. I am not going to let one ATM swallow my 20k. Ko jo mehn.

That was how once, when in Italy I bought lunch of 40 euros at a restaurant for friends and I, and gave the waiter my card to pay. It must have been divine intervention, because just before he gave me the POS to punch in my pin, I realized he had punched in 400 euros instead of 40.

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?! OSANOBUA! CHINEKE-GOD!

This oyinbo must be misled by my soft-spokenness o! Because, walahi, this Nigerian kitten will just turn to a NIGERIAN LION. Wat nansenze? Alakoba. Joker of the big-bang explosion. Do I look like I want to be poor in a strange land?! Tufiakwa. Oga CANCEL TRANSACTION AND PUT FORTY EUROS THERE, MY FREN’!

Walahi, dem no go kee pesin for this planet. Hian.

Between the many ATM woes, ridiculous bank charges and the Aunty-I-no-get-change shop owners/cashiers/filling station attendants, I don’t know which is more exasperating, although I have to say that two of my most exasperating experiences happened in Italy, while the third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventieth, one hundred thousandth happened in Lagos. The 40/400 Euros incident was one, the second was: getting continuous debit alerts on a Friday night of my Italian card being used to buy stuff in America while I was at home, in bed, that night. I looked at the said card in horror and quickly called my bank to report it and block the card. Thankfully, I did not have to talk until saliva finish for my mouth. The Italian bank refunded my money in barely a few days with apologies, and gave me a new card.

DAZZ WOT AYAM TALKIN’ ABOUT! THANKIYUUU! Unlike some banks that I will not mention their names before Nigerians say I am not patriotic.

So, I really would love to hear your ATM-woes-experiences, BANK dramas (good and bad), and if ever you’ve been strangely debited or credited. What did you do? And, most importantly, how many times have you forfeited your change because of the I-no-get-change merchants? How many times have you been forced to collect Maggi/sweet because dem no get change? Sometimes the matter go tayah me, I go say, ” Sorry I don’t lick sweet.” Or, “Sorry, I have Maggi at home.”

Me? I’ve lost track! But my most recent exasperating experience happened at the RITE SHOP. After buying things worth tens of thousands of naira plus N15, I gave him (the cashier) all the money plus N100, only for him to give me receipt and say, “Thank you.”

Ko ye mi. Where’s my N85? He said, “Aunty, I no get change…”

See this JOKER OF THE GALAXY.

I swear, dem no go kee pesin for this universe.

1. Wale

April 5, 2016 at 10:17 am

Naija and copy copy mentality…..We are just quick to adopt advanced country’s methods without reviewing its impact on our economy! Imagine, cashless economy yet POS and ATM will practically disappoint you if you don’t have cash! I just tire for this country + Madam, refund always take a month from the bank.

• Morolake

April 5, 2016 at 3:58 pm

I think the most annoying for me has got to be the stupid GTBank “account maintenance fee”. Its crazy. I have been billed N554 then N1,800 then the last one was N3,200. Pls what transactions do i engage in that they are maintaining my account with that much? There are just too many charges.

Lets not even talk about that Aunty no change. The change i have left for Ebeano Chevron can buy oil, cartoon of indomie and maybe harpic. Then talk about the lovely loyalty card idea they came up with. Most of their cashiers don’t even remember to ask you for it. After sitting in traffic for only God knows how long, i should also remember to give you my loyalty card? I made a mental note to try and remember to give them after an experience i had. I spent almost 80k (I know its not much compared to what some people spend there) and the silly cashier girl didn’t ask for the loyalty card. I was so livid. If you want to copy tesco with the ‘every little helps’, go the whole 9 yards. The cashiers always ask “do you have a clubpoint card” or whatever its called.

They will be copying and wont copy well.

Forgive my typos and rant. I think this fuel scarcity is also getting to me.

2. chibuzor

April 5, 2016 at 10:20 am

best article yet

3. jhennique

April 5, 2016 at 10:25 am

Iv had several ATM encounters like this but luckily i always got refunded. Thats why i stick wit GTBank. I dont have time for plenty story

4. jess

April 5, 2016 at 10:42 am

I don’t understand,you paid that shop twice and you walked out without your money? One thing will happen that day,it’s either they pay me back with cash or i’ll take the equivalent of the money from the store. My hard earned money, Mba o. That no change does not work for me,there are options,you find the change, I take something of that amount or i drop whatever it is I bought. Finish!

• Truth

April 5, 2016 at 11:15 am

She is not the troublesome type. If na me ehn! God knows I don’t joke with money.

5. Moyo

April 5, 2016 at 10:42 am

Wo, Isio, this ATM and POS issue is the story of my life, as I am typing one bank has not refunded my N40,800, since last week Monday and I have a transaction declined slip, I learnt to collect that one when the same bank did not refund my 17,900 for over 1 month. Yesterday, I used ATM again, ATM REFUSED TO “VOMIT” MONEY, my N20,000 is stuck there too. I am tired of this cashless thing, I am seriously considering going back to using my cheque book. At least no story for that one.

• jhennique

April 5, 2016 at 11:18 am

ah Ahn! This your own is plenty oh. I think its from your village

• Moyo

April 14, 2016 at 4:01 pm

I got my money back from the bank yesterday, after I sent a stinker e mail to their contact centre, 2 hours later my money was paid back into my account. This was after 2 weeks after holding on to my money.

• jinkelele

April 5, 2016 at 11:56 am

Change your bank asap.

6. SaI sai

April 5, 2016 at 10:42 am

Nigeria is fast ly becoming a ‘do it all on the Internet’ these dayz, I was tired and couldn’t go to the dstv pay outlet to re subscribe for my gotv viewing rights, on channel one on gotv they deceive how to use the gotv self help…I followed the guide step by step and was even debited of the stipulated amount, as in my bank was more than happy to send me an alert..oya! Make telemundo begin show na, for where… I immediately called and they kept asking me foolish and plenty questions, in the end they told me to be patient, that they haven’t received payment yet, yet my money has left my account fiam! ..my dear that’s how I waited and waited..the outlet I was too lazy to go to, when I finally got there and complained, the rep told me indirectly that it served me right…aswear I woulda released a 100 page of obscenities on her, I just leave her for God..money I no see till today..the thing still dey pain now as I dey wrote. .what nansenze. .lol

• Nnomsie

April 5, 2016 at 4:22 pm

LOL. I’ve always used Quickteller but wit a convenience fee of N100 for my DSTV subscription and I’ve never called to reconnect etc. Just pay before the current subscription expires.

7. Oga o

April 5, 2016 at 10:43 am

These shops sha. I buy stuff worth 875 and you tell me no change? Why don’t you price in multiples of 10s or 100s? What is the meaning of 1765.75k?! And you won’t have change cos they give them no floats. Very annoying something. I usually complain o. Cos God knows how much person would lose if you count all the forgotten 5 nairas at the end of the year. How about filling station? Fuel came up to 1950. Presented 2000. Dude said thank you and didn’t even pretend to give me change. Why oh why?!
    Please people look at POS machines before punching your pins. Very important. Went to a bar, had drinks. Time to pay – 7200. Imagine my ‘confuddledness’ when I looked at the machine and saw 17200. What can fa mess?
    Back to filling stations again. Attendant didn’t want to give me my 100 naira change because I don’t need it. Ahhhh! Such audacious entitlement to what is not even yours. He looked at me and saw the money tree on my head. I was speechless.

8. sultana

April 5, 2016 at 10:45 am

Isio! You are the best! cant recall any experiences though. the few times i was debited wrongly, it was reversed After some days. but that youR 40/400 is an eye opener fa! Wow! just that naija shop guys/girls are not that smart. how will they now retrieve the money from their oga’s account? it wont pay them. but for those shops which are owner-runned, it pays to be cautious walahi! I’ve learnt something today sha…. Thanks Isio! Encore!

9. Mimi

April 5, 2016 at 11:41 am

I went to buy desserts at some new store in lekki. .first time going there. Everything came up to about 2800. Tried to pay with pos….2 cards no dice. I finally have the girl 3k. Next thing I hear is auntie I will owe you. Owe me bawo? Do I know you? Why can’t I owe you. After standing there staring at her for a bit she opened that same till and brought out the 200 naira. I was too stunned to say anything. They are mostly hustling you. Do you know how much they make from that no change nonsense. Or is it zenith that on top this someone used my card fraudulently in another country while my card and I were in naija…I have been going back and forth to fill form over form 2 years my 90k has entered voicemail. Rubbish

10. I HATE NAIJA BANKS

April 5, 2016 at 11:53 am

Isio you just hit this straight on the head. I wish the relevant authorities will be able to read this! Naija just simply isn’t ready for a CASHLESS SOCIETY. If only they won’t charge us for withdrawing from other banks ATM it would even ease the pain. Imagine using a POS and it doesnt work you have to rush to the nearest ATM to withdraw you get charged for it, for something that is not your fault in anyway! I have had so many horrible encounters because of Cashless society, almost love valuable business self. So irritated!

11. I HATE NAIJA BANKS

April 5, 2016 at 11:55 am

*almost lost*

12. jinkelele

April 5, 2016 at 12:01 pm

In Europe jeje I use cash. I simply withdraw small amounts I need. I only use cards in groceries supermarkets or shops.

Restaurants aare dangerous cos they can clone your cards and you tend to be more careless when you eating and drinking to crosscheck stuff.

Then online transactions? I’m double careful of sites I use for epayments. Cards I use for epayments I keep minimal cash there. I only transfer money there when I’m ready to buy stuff
    Don’t need any dem thief my money drama.

13. SarahB

April 5, 2016 at 12:16 pm

This article reminds me of an experience I had at an eatery. My bill was #1,800; I payed #2,000 and the girl at the counter said there was no change. I stand there thinking of what to do and ask the girl “So, what do we do?” and she smiles and says “Aunty, leave it for me now, you don’t need the change”. I was to surprised to even say anything, I just walked out of the eatery.

• SarahB

April 5, 2016 at 12:17 pm

too*

14. iyke

April 5, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Yesterday evening, I went to buy some hot freshly almond grazed doughnut at a nearby shop managed by this Romanian lady. 6 doughnuts for €4. I was very hungry and craving for sugar, and this woman’s doughnut is the IT..…love my doughnut very hot and fresh.
    Asked her if the ones on display were hot. She said yes…..Apparently she knew that I love hot doughnuts and wasn’t prepared to make new ones when the ones on display hadn’t been sold. Excitedly, I paid with my card, took a bite and found out unfortunately that the doughnuts weren’t hot. I asked her why she lied to me and made me pay for warm doughnuts …..Honestly felt like crying as I had already paid and she wouldn’t make a fresh doughnut for me. In anger I left everything for her and walked away, crying in my heart…lost my money and now I don’t have my favourite doughnut.
    Suddenly I said NO – how can I lose my money just like that. I went back and asked her ‘ shey this thing wey you do me e good?..You took my money, sold me cold doughnuts and now you watch me walk away? God go punish you….
    i begin to tell am say karma go meet you…somebody go hurt you tomorrow…you no no go see better …..As I dey throw jibes, she asked me to stop shouting and called her manager. Manager showed up and asked me what I wanted – I told them that I want fresh Doughnut. They had to make new doughnuts for me, and like a child, I happily walked munched away my favourite doughnuts.

The second incident was to do with my credit card three years ago. Didn’t know how my details fell into the hands of a Nigerian scammer living in Barcelona. It was God that saved me that day to be honest. I went to my bank to sign off a loan that I applied for only to confirm there and then that someone used my details to book and lodge in a 5* hotel in Barcelona – A Nigerian for that matter…..took away €3.2K from my account in less than 2 days. My bank had to quickly call the hotel and placed a hold on the transaction and implored them to call the Police. My igbo brother was frolicking with his gf in the 5* hotel room when he was nabbed. Got my money back and dude went to jail.
    In Nigeria, I rarely use my cards….I don’t trust the system.

• TA

April 6, 2016 at 6:28 pm

@iyke, you be clown I swear. Brother, I just pictured you crying because of hot doughnuts and I have been laughing like a crazed hyena. Hehehehe

15. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

April 5, 2016 at 1:02 pm

I know its seems we do band wagon behavior a lot in Nigeria, but we should also remember how far we have come. Remember when you had to go to the bank where you opened your account to withdraw money over the counter after queuing for how many hours. I remember once my siblings and i took turns with my mum on the queue at First bank airport road cos it was so dang long. I also remember once collecting slap from me ma when I sat on the floor at Union Bank opposite Eric Moore Towers in Surulere because I was tired of standing. How many banks did we have in Nigeria in those days, sef? We have more banks with many branches across the federation, ATM galleries that dispense air-conditioned money, and now, codes that you can use to send and receive money on your phone and you don’t even need MB for that, only four naira for sms ( remember when it was N50 per second to call? Remember when human hair cost 150k upwards, I kid! I kid!) New technologies will always be advanced they are not perfect by themselves but we can always improve on them.

16. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

April 5, 2016 at 1:24 pm

As for the ‘ harmy robbers’ that don’t like to give balance, what can fa? I don’t usually hassel over change but the moment I have to ask you and you carry on with what you are doing, two things are involved: My mood and the quantum of the word of God in me that day. Truth is, most of us can do without the balance within the margin or more than N100:00 but no one wants to be taken for a fool. Being a believer does not mean you should be gentle and docile and be mumuing up and down. You can be violent and taketh it by force in a gentle and docile manner. Other people will just start fighting on your behalf I have waited 5 mins to collect 10 naira before, I have let 100H go without thinking of it.

The ones that will now give you badly cello taped money n’ kan and say after all I gave you change na you no wan collect? Or the ones that ask are you not bigger than 50 naira? Or are can’t you dash me the money. If you like weigh me 500 times you cannot convert my KG to naira. Weteh the change osiso, biko!

17. dior

April 5, 2016 at 2:04 pm

zenith bank is such a waste, gbagbe patriotism when money is involved o. while i was in uni, i had to attend a friend’s party in lagos, we all know you have to carry ‘vex money”, loro kan, they swallowed my money, i filled form tiya. i sha gave up. incident 2, bought some groceries and POS transaction didnt go through but i was debited, i went with my goods ….they should go sort themselves out with the bank and finally bartender punched 40k instead of 4k, you go fear the power of zerossss,..lol

18. Ch

April 5, 2016 at 2:20 pm

I think as a society, we are ready to be a cashless society if not we’ll still be in the stone age whilst other societies have moved on to the next big thing. I think it’s the people that need to change their stupid mentality of not giving you your change or banks unwilling to refund money. When I was in the UK, I used an HSBC ATM at Clapham junction and 2 fake GBP20 was among. I carried myself to HSBC to complain and was told to complain at my bank – NatWest. I followed the matter to the end o, and I got my money back. But this Naija, diff story. That is how a telecom coy wanted to scam me after I called to block my line (my phone was stolen) and the thief was still able to recharge my number via the SMS recharge and transfer N10k to another number. The lady first wanted to push it on me that I may have left my details on my phone. I no gree o, I involved all the authorities, NCC Lagos and Abuja, consumer protection, (was ready with lawyer sef if I hadn’t gotten my money back). After 2 months, got my money back, with the credit I lost with the phone and free calls and 1GB data. Thing is if you are willing to be patient and pursue issues to the end, they will know you mean biz. I guess most Nig just give up and say nothing will happen. Something must happen o, why must I be contributing more to your multi-million biz after I have paid for your service.
    As to the stores, that one does my head in a lot. I hate eateries with a passion right now cos they never have change, When I first came back to Naij and I went to Shopright, I was furious as I didn’t have a card then and my mum gave me cash to buy stuff, had to leave my change behind. Afterwards, I always use my card only. If there’s no POS, I drop your items. Even foreign companies like that have now engaged in the useless act cos they see us as gullible. Trust me, if I were in your shoes Isio, I would have walked away with my money there and then, or if not, take items of that value. Just so people know, report any bank issues to CBN via [email protected]. And they do respond.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

April 5, 2016 at 3:03 pm

I agree with you. Technology cannot be flawless, after all, its man made. It’s the reception and disposition of the people involved that matter. If the atm fails to dispense yet it debits you, if it is refunded after following due process, no one would be bitter about it. Don’t blame the technology, blame the people.

I remember once trying to use the atm at the head office of one of the banks on Marina. One of their staff had used the atm and it debited without dispensing. The woman immediately called their customer care line.
      E for better if them no pick sef. She hung up angrily saying no wonder customers were always complaining of their services that the lady was gisting with her colleagues and ignored her for most of the conversation.

. Tifi tifi is almost synonymous with banking in Nigeria. Begi begi haf reach fundamental human right of sales people.

Wear Brooks Brothers, tie Rolex for hand, march tom ford go office, na the ajo of people wey una debit wey una no pay their money. Isio money sef join. We are watching.

19. Seyi

April 5, 2016 at 2:24 pm

ATM in naija is a no no for me. I came home for holidays abt a year ago and i tired using my card to my surprise it worked. I was like okay naija don dey try. the second time i used it i was charged double how come. Na so so story i dey hear from my bank for 2 weeks 10k just like that. I just decided to become cash at hand. Even to withdraw from the ATM is another wahala. Naija needs to understand stuff before jumping into it. MAC cosmetics store too telling me they dont have change of 5000 after i purchased a product for 4700. I work hard for my money o so every penny counts. That 300 naira can buy me MTN credit. No matter how small the change I no be Otedola or Dangote pinkin.

20. Ada

April 5, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Haa! Isio omo mama e, I just hung up on a First Bank customer care rep and then I saw this article. Tried loading my phone yesterday from my First Bank account using their *894* code for N5k Etisalat airtime cos I wanted to subscribe for data on my modem. I received a debit alert instantly, checked my phone account balance, it was still N0.00. I kept waiting and waiting. I finally decided to call their customer care and after asking nonsense questions, they told me the transaction failed and it would be reversed after 24hours. Ha! When you people knew the transaction failed, why did you debit me? I sha decided to chill, shebi 24 hours is not long. Oya na, 24hours later, where is my money? They started telling me stories of how it would take at least 1 week for them to have the transaction reversed. One week fa! But it dint take you people one week to take my money. Oda, ko buru. I had barely dropped the call to the customer care when I received another debit alert of N2000 again from First Bank for what they termed Withdrawal charges. Withdrawal charges bawo? I immediately called back and fortunately, it was the same person I had earlier spoken to that still picked up. So I asked, Oga, what is this withdrawal charges I just got debited for? He says its a new First Bank charge for any transaction you make on your account. I asked if it was same as the Stamp duty charge which I know is N50. He says no, its different. So let me understand this, I get charged N50 as stamp duty for making deposits into my own account, then you guys will still charge me for transactions on my own account again, for spending my own money. I was livid. In fact ehnn, the kind anger I had today, I haven’t been this angry in a very long while. Nigerian banks will make you cry, from their crappy network to incessant charges. Awon oloshi.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

April 5, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Ah! Oleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Which banking charges? Bebe get your acts together and shift base go the bank and find out which withdrawal you are paying for. In fact, the bank I talked about in another post on marina was First bank. What can fa 2000 for withdrawal charges? Nne, you must get to the bottom of this. No body, including the ones currently on Jupiter, will pay 2000 for withdrawals! It’s a truly First lie.

• Koffie

April 5, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Please go to a branch to complain, demand to see their bosses if they’re talking like it’s just small money. I made a transfer today from my FBN account and I was only charged N115 so I don’t understand the N2,000 charge. Won fe robu e ni.
      I once tried to transfer 110k through the ATM and it told me “user inoperative” bla bla. I tried with another cash machine at the same ATM gallery and it said “transaction failed”, I gave up and was going to postpone making the transfer till monday when suddenly I was debited TWICE (220k)! I was like “iro oo”, I was laughing like a mad woman cause truly how much do I have that you’ll be doing rough play with me like that. I went to their Bode Thomas branch immediately (those ones do Saturday banking). They gave me big big english and I gave them my own too. I had the number of their Head of cash services ready that day (I was just doing shakara). The next day, my money jejely slid into my account back even though they had said they don’t do inter-bank reversals on Saturdays. Gbogbo wa la gbo oyinbo, oshisko.
      Diamond Bank on the other hand has never given me drama.

• World People

April 6, 2016 at 5:06 am

2000naira for withdrawal charges ke? That’s tew much

• Jemila Alley

April 7, 2016 at 9:50 am

Seriously? You have to change “too” to “tew”? Smh!

21. Ajala & foodie

April 5, 2016 at 4:32 pm

I fortunately don’t have any story about banks stealing my money or ATMs withholding my money. My personal experience was at a restaurant somewhere in the States, hubs and myself had paid for dinner with tip but waitress decided she deserved more and added an additional 0 to her tip. Unfortunately for her I am way too cautious with spending and I usually keep receipts until final transaction has posted in our account. Hubs paid and when he noticed it, he was going to let it go because he felt there was no use and no receipt. But me I no gree at all, I produced receipt from 2 weeks past and insisted he called the restaurant. Needless to say, this was not the writer’s first offence, she had done it before, so she was let go and money refunded back to the account charged.
    I was telling my sister about our experience when she told me she had called to vent because the same thing had just happened to her but this was with her corporate card. As the most senior person with the group she had the waiter put the tab on her corporate card for an happy hour event. Only for dude to add an additional “0” to the total after she had signed off on the transaction. Mind you original transaction included a very tangible tip close to $100 and that was excluding gratuity charged because they were a large party. Greed is a terrible thing!!!!

22. Tomma

April 5, 2016 at 7:27 pm

If they carry out a poll, i believe First Bank would have the highest incident of this Inter-bank failed POS withdrawal jibiti. I went in to a branch to complaint about my over-one-month unrefunded failed POS debit. I sat at their customer care and watched about 5 people come in with same complaint (some over 1 month). I decided to dash them the money at that point. The MOST annoying thing is that 24hour after your complaint has been lodged, you get a default notice from First Contact that your complaint has been resolved (without a corresponding credit to your account o). Na lie your money has entered one chance….Pschewww

23. Anonymous

April 5, 2016 at 7:57 pm

This has happened to me a couple of times, but the one I cannot forget happened at “the place” eatery on adeola odeku.. After paying for my food with my ATM card, the lady goes …ma the payment was not approved, i already got alert on my phone so I responded but you have already taken the money!!!! After going back and forth I had to part away with cash as they insisted that the money will be returned. One week after I drove all the way back there, after serious talking, the accountant came out and confirmed they had the money on thier system, and repaid me cash.. I made sure they apologised o!!! Even though I knew the apology was fake. I wonder the number of people that have just let the whole thing go like that… But after paying NGN 800 for that small portion of asun, Amongst other stuffs, I wasn’t letting it go.

24. S!

April 5, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Where do I start?
    1) I bought meat pie from a fast food near my house, I paid, she opened the till and told me there was no change. I was staring at wads of change in the till and I asked her what that was, she said “it’s to use for later”. Lol. I started shouting that I wanted to see her manager, she came out and instructed her to give me change. After I collected it stuck my tongue out and left. ?

2) Someone asked me to help them use my card to buy data for Smile which cost 5,500. I did the whole process and was told “transaction unsuccessful”. Did the whole transaction again and it worked. This was around December last year and Glo had some issue with GTB so I couldn’t get debit alerts. I was expecting a credit alert so I checked my balance using the app and to my horror both transactions were successful. I called them immediately explain what happened and asking for a refund and they told me there’s nothing that can be done. That I should just use it. I told them I don’t want it, I want my money and it’s their unsuccessful message that made me try again and they told me all the can do is convert the data to credit points on their site. Luckily for them because I was planning on visiting their office, the person I bought the data for paid for their mistake. Nonsense people.

25. lool

April 5, 2016 at 10:55 pm

Lol dese comments r rly funny,bt so true, nys article isio. For banks in naija,got debited once n followed dem till dey rtund my money,was abit of a tedious process sha bt I had deir time well well. Don’t like paying for tins tru Pos, I’d rather go n use d ATM n cm n pay dem deir money,was forced to strt using d Pos whn I got to d UK n even here sef,no b evrytime (cnt rmembr whn last I used it),aas for change I have almost 10pounds in coins ranging from 1 penny to 2 pounds,i usually count n segment it in my wallet,i no dey leave change lailai. For naija,i smtyms leave d chnge if d prsn rly made efforts to look fr d chnge n didn’t get or if I knw am goin bck dere in two days tym tops(so I can use my chnge) or if d chnge being offered is torn n am in a hurry to check or complain. But all in all,using Pos to pay for stuff….nah,i lyk seeing d money am spending (my flatmate calls me bush naija girl na she sabi) even if am paying 80 pounds,d naija girl in me still dey active

26. Tomisin Magz

April 6, 2016 at 9:11 am

Loool @ these comments.

I once served in a bank and i learnt from that time that banks generally do not condone having an irate customer in their banking hall (sensible banks tho).

One of the few times i used that knowledge, i used Diamond Bank’s ATM and i was debited without the ATM giving me the cash – N40,000 o. The painful part was that it wasn’t my money but it was for some office runs. I went into the branch immediately and was told it would be reversed automatically 24hours later. 48hours later, i didn’t see anything. i marched to the bank and when they were trying to calm me down, i allowed my father’s family’s own to enter me and started making noise. I raised my voice and people around were just looking at me, i kuku didn’t mind. When they saw that i wasn’t keeping quiet, the branch manager came out to apologize and instructed one of the tellers to attend to me immediately. I got the N40,000 before i left that day o, it didn’t even take up to 15mins after i had shouted.

Lol!

27. zedzed

April 6, 2016 at 12:32 pm

I had one such experience with GTbank. I used my atm card to withdraw some money in Paris, I didn’t get the money from the atm machine but I was debited, including charges for withdrawing outside the country.
    I called them to complain and they sent me the forms I should fill. They refunded my money, I think it took a month which was a good thing. Only problem was the rate of exchange for the withdrawal was way higher than the rate of exchange for refund (say I withdrew at an exchange rate of 265 naira to 1 euro, they refunded at 210 naira to a euro, this was in 2015) I was unhappy but glad I got most of my money back.

28. Honeyposh

April 6, 2016 at 1:29 pm

There is a supermarket in my area,just so you know, i think dey need to put out a banner informing customers ‘if your change is less that 100 naira, please leave it for us’ On so so many occasions der, i never get it, the cashiers will raise der head up and give dis i dont care shrug and ask u to start picking some fake china sweets that will compound ur health.
    on another occasion, i went to the bank with my mum, after using the atm to withdraw on a saturday, first withdrawal : 20k …….fiam nothing, no money, she used again fiam….. no money,checked her sms,money was debited, my mum was mad,kai.
    Fastforward to monday, i went to d bank with her,wen dey started their serenre,she threatened dem that she will call sss, shuo me sef i shock, were mummy know sss from lol.
    But people, i dare not laugh o,to cut a long story short in 2 days she received her money back o.

29. Yvonne

April 6, 2016 at 3:01 pm

I use fidelity bank. When we were still allowed to use our naija cards in America. Went to atm, collected 300$. Transaction declined, gave me receipt but fidelity debited my account. Sharp sharp I call customer service # at the back of the card. Lady I spoke with said they will email me form to fill out and I should attach the decline receipt to the form too. So I filled the form out and attached the receipt, Sent it in via e-mail. 2 days later I get response that my case has been assigned to a case manager with his name and that it may take up to 30 days to get the money back. 2 weeks later I get another email with updates on the investigation. Within 30 days I got my money back. I was plesantly surprised to say the least. I gave fidelity kudos for actually doing what they said they would. That is my only experience so far.

30. Damseldami

April 9, 2016 at 11:59 pm

Hmmmmmm these kind stories I dey here from here enh. recently I did my hair at a hairdresser (UK) the agreed price was £45 after my hair I paid £50 was expecting my £5 change only for the hairdresser telling me no change! I said enh she said she doesn’t have then I requested back my money so I can go get change only for her to give stories about spending longer time than usual on the hair oga o! I told her no problem that next time I come I will remove £5 from her service. She has been taking advantage of me simply because am quiet. Well first bitten twice shy! There will not be a third!

31. stella

April 24, 2016 at 6:39 pm

The filling station attendants are fond of doing that. What I do is to make the amount a round number. That way no story of no change. That change issue is always done intentionally. There are stores where they keep stuffs other than sweets for you to take if they don’t have change. Stuffs like pen, eraser, pencil etc