News

Court Dissolves 17-year Old Marriage Over Secret House Built by Wife

NAN

Lagos CourtA Lagos Island Customary Court on Wednesday dissolved the 17-year-old marriage between a transporter, Haruna A., and his wife, Alimotu, after he complained that his wife built a house without informing him.

Granting the husband’s request, the court President, Awos Awosola, said that the effort of the court to reconcile the parties had failed, as Haruna insisted on divorce.

“The marriage between the two parties is hereby dissolved with effect from today in accordance with the Lagos State Customary Court Law, 2011, Order 3, Rule 7, as amended.

The custody of the first child and only son, Anu, 15, is awarded to the father while that of the two girls, Simiyat, 10; and Aishat, 7, remains with the wife.

The petitioner should pay the children’s feeding allowances of N10,000 on a monthly basis through this honourable court and should also be responsible for the children school and hospital bills.

However, both parties are granted unhindered access to the child/children at any reasonable time of the day,” he ruled.

Awosola also ordered the petitioner to give the respondent N250,000 compensation within seven days of the judgment with which to start her new life.

Haruna, 42, who resides at No. 91/93 Odunfa Street, Lagos Island, in his petition, told the court that his wife, a trader, bought a plot of land in Ikorodu and built a bungalow on it without letting him know.

“My wife has also started giving out tricycle and motorcycle to riders and they pay for them on installment, which is the same business that I do. I have warned her severally to stop the business but she would not listen. On two occasions she has stabbed me with a kitchen knife and a scissors.

My wife is not sincere with me. She hides so many things about herself from me. I cannot cope with her secretive ways any more, please separate us,” he pleaded with the court.

Alimotu, who did not deny the allegations, said that she started being secretive with her husband because of the sudden change in his behaviour and his infidelity.

She told the court that their marriage which was once blissful took a different turn in 2012 when they rented their own apartment.

“We were staying in my husband’s family house before we rented our own apartment in 2012, since then my husband has been unfaithful to me. He brings different kinds of women into our matrimonial home and sleeps with them on our bed. Whenever I confronted him, he beats me. On three occasions my husband beat me to a pulp and stripped me naked.

I joined him in doing the same business because it is a lucrative one, but since I started it, I have had no rest of mind,” she said.

Alimotu, who had consistently prayed the court to reconcile them as she still loved her husband, however, pleaded with the court to dissolve the marriage without further delay.

“Since I have been begging my husband and his family for so long and nothing positive have come of it, please dissolve the marriage so I can go on with my life,” she said.

1. Tinubu

May 25, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Very sad,what money will cause in the world,money itself cannot solve

2. Honeycrown

May 25, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Loro kan sha, Ogbeni Haruna & Alimotu don divide. Along with the bad economy na news/story of infidelity, physical abuse, separation and all things relationship dey reign all over for Naija! Issorait o but none of these things are new in the country. It’s just social media making us more aware. Thank you technology.

3. Hadee

May 25, 2016 at 9:05 pm

How typical that the husband did not say what he could possibly have done to make his wife start to hide things from him. The way some people like to act clueless like they have done nothing to make someone change towards them.

4. Mr. Egghead

May 25, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Honestly, how much trust and openness can you have in a marriage when your partner can always turn around and shiv you in the back
    10,000 naira/month as child support is ridiculous. Some innovative beggars make more than that in two weeks.
    But I wonder what formula was used to share the children? 1 boy = 2 girls?

• ng

May 27, 2016 at 12:12 am

They used formula 1

5. Emmanuel

May 25, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Their marriage has entered next level. In the previous level, they were united by poverty. In this new level, their poverty has weakened. They need to enrich their poverty so that their love can resurrect!

• Ore

May 25, 2016 at 11:09 pm

lmao!!!!

6. tish

May 25, 2016 at 10:37 pm

The dissolution is due to much more than the house she built though,. This una headline get K leg

7. Mobayo

May 25, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Seems like this lady has dodged a bullet. He seems pained that she used the money she made from the honest business she ‘dared’ to make for herself to build a house, instead of handing it over to him as a dear submissive African wife (because every bullying the man does is excused because of submission) so he can use it to bring more girls home to cheat. As women are now opening eye like this, many men are either going to have to change from their cheating and bullying or more divorces. As someone who grew up in such a situation, I feel being in a single parent household is better than this. THIS is the real ‘broken home’ where dad is bringing babes home and mum is just there suffering and being frustrated. Its time we told ourselves the truth

8. OmoJesus

May 25, 2016 at 11:39 pm

You hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God bless you for your insight . Oddly enough, even after you tell a guy the reason you are being secretive, they will still justify themselves .

9. Mabel

May 26, 2016 at 1:44 am

Smart woman, she did her little hustling and could build a house in four years out of it. Now the man mad she had the mind to own instead of renting for the rest of her life. Who can beat her out of the house now, or parade their lovers in her face.? May God continue to bless her hustle and her children.

10. Ifeanyi.

May 26, 2016 at 7:19 am

Cant believe what I am reading…You all need to see a Pyschologist…

The Average woman in Nigeria is scorned! She sees Marriage as a competition! How in the World can you justify her building a House Without the knowledge (not consent) of her husband? That I cannot understand…

You see…Let’s go to the Basics! Marriage is a Partnership and two wrongs do not make a right! The man may have even built 10 houses without her knowledge. ..but judging from her response…He didn’t or she doesn’t know…I would criticise the man if he does that to her…ladies. ..a lot of men are feminist…they are on your side not your enemy…at least I am…wouldn’t love to see my sisters treated auch

But to turn around and say you think she did the right thing os beuond me..May you find a Husband that would build houses without your knowledge…

Amen?

Amen!

That settles it…

• Cindy

May 26, 2016 at 9:51 am

I think you missed the point. If I have a husband who would disrespect me enough to bring other women to our matrimonial bed, be rest assured that I’ll start finding my exit route. Do you want me to wait till the day he says he doesn’t want me anymore and would rather have someone else as wife? Oh, I guess you want us to remain stupid and just endure our husband’s indiscretions abi? We all know in Nigeria that “two wrongs don’t make a right” only applies to women. I’m glad she built the house when she did because I’m sure the man would still have come up with another excuse to seek divorce, and she wouldn’t have had backup. Knowledge my ass.

• Celeste

May 26, 2016 at 11:45 am

@ Ifeanyi: Her husband did worst disrespecting her to the extent of bringing in and sleeping with other women on their matrimonial bed. She was just being a sensible AFRICAN woman by not seeking a divorce, but investing and securing her future and that of their children without his knowledge.

Let’s be reasonable here, this man here is jealous of his wife success and a man that have the effrontery to bring another woman home and into his matrimonial bed can throw his wife out anyday, anytime.

This man would still have divorced this woman, he was already bringing women home, so drop his excuse of her investing and doing same business he does.

And please what sort of sharing formula is that??? I boy to the man and 2 girls to the woman. Africa!!! And N10,000 feeding/upkeep for a month??? Na wa oO, women are really suffering in this country!

• Baba

May 26, 2016 at 2:09 pm

A partner invest in the family by paying all bills,school fees and the rest.
      The other partner secretly use her money to build a house,and all the femminist thinks she did well.
      Nigerian men,stop forming Alpha and Omega by paying all the bills….these social media ladies are not loyal!!!

• Celeste

May 26, 2016 at 2:48 pm

I bet you male chauvinists didn’t see anything wrong with his infidelity to the extent of bringing them home and into their bed. What insult!

For marriage to succeed, both partner must genuinely work at it with sincerity of purpose.

11. Onwa atuo

May 26, 2016 at 7:20 am

I pity today’s men. Gone are the days women tolerated men’s excesses. Dying to keep their already dead or non existent marriages. They have a choice now to work towards the success of their union or be ready to be stung!

• Md

May 26, 2016 at 10:51 am

@onwa atuo ,Well, going from what I just read.. today’s men are not complaining ,they are even the ones begging to leave the marriage,.

• Celeste

May 26, 2016 at 11:59 am

He is begging to leave because he has a plan b woman. It is the other woman I pity most cos he won’t treat her any better than the first.

12. Apples

May 26, 2016 at 7:54 am

I love strong women like her, she’s wise, keeping the whole thing from him Cuz she knew he’ll eventually leave her with nothing one day. So she prepared a future for herself, she didn’t let his abuse to deter her!

13. Togun

May 26, 2016 at 11:57 am

When I was younger I heard stories of women who built houses and hid it from their husbands and I would wonder why, because I was fortunate to have been born into a peaceful family.
    Now I am older and wiser I see that everybody’s situation is different, it makes me more understanding of the fact that some of us need a backup plan to avoid being stranded in future

14. How dare you?

May 26, 2016 at 12:00 pm

How can you be behind him?
    How can he behind her?

No husband/wife should do that kind of thing behind their partner.

If you do, means there is no trust and there is no marriage.

Better walking out on her!

selfish generation of ladies!

15. Plumpy Girl

May 26, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Marriage these days no easy oh. The crop of couples we have today are better described as competitors and lords. No more partners in progress. why nah!The man’s ego keeps blinding him from doing the right thing and accepting his wrongs while the woman’s feeling of insecurity drives her to be self-sufficient and daring. Adultery becomes permissible for the man while openness is a must for the woman. God help us all, including the judges that hear and try these knotty matrimonial causes petitions.