BN TV

Hate Grinding Ogbono the Traditional Way? Learn a Fresh Approach from Flo of All Nigerian Recipes

Flo Madubike

Hi BellaNaijarians, this is Flo of All Nigerian Recipes.

I love Ogbono Soup and I enjoy cooking it but grinding the ogbono seeds? Not so much. This is because I use a coffee grinder to grind my ogbono. In Nigeria, we have manual grinders in every Nigerian market and these machines grind ogbono very well, even when the seeds are not so dry. Outside Nigeria and for those in Nigeria who do not want to use the manual grinders, we use coffee grinders or spice grinders.

These substitutes don’t do such a good job of grinding ogbono seeds because let’s face it, the manufacturers did not have ogbono in mind when making these coffee and spice grinders hence their inability to grind ogbono very well. It’s even more frustrating during the rainy season (in Nigeria) and winter (in temperate regions) when ogbono seeds are not bone dry.ground-ogbono bellanaija may2016These are the steps I take to ensure that I get a fine powder of Ogbono with the kitchen appliance that is available to me:

1. I start by cleaning the ogbono seeds with a brush. The seeds get dusty from the particles that are released when they knock against each other in the storage container.
  2. Toss and blow off the dust and small particles.
  3. Grind in small batches following the instructions for your coffee/spice grinder.
  4. When done, you will notice that there are some well ground ogbono bits and some not so well ground. Some even look like they have not been put through the grinder!
  5. Pour into a plate and grind more batches of ogbono seeds.
  6. Sift through using a sieve with a wire mesh.
  7. Wrap the coarsely ground ones in aluminium foil or put in a container and set aside for next time you want to grind ogbono. It’s becomes easier with this first step out of the way.
  8. Grind the sifted one a second time to get the finest particles.

With all the grinding, sifting and regrinding, this cooking task is high up there in my list of cooking peeves.

These steps are better watched than read about so see the video below for more insight.

Watch the Video

Comment below and let me know the cooking task you don’t look forward to. What’s your cooking peeve?

Photo CreditsAll Nigerian Recipes.

Flo Madubike has undiluted Nigerian taste buds. Her hobby is making sure that our classic Nigerian foods do not go extinct. She shares authentic, traditional Nigerian recipes just like grandmas make them, on allnigerianrecipes.com.

1. newbie

May 19, 2016 at 12:36 pm

I had to scroll back up to see if I misread the title of this post. Wasn’t it supposed to teach us an easier way to mill ogbono? All I read was a complaint about how time consuming her current method was. Or have I missed something?

• Naijatalk

May 19, 2016 at 12:48 pm

In fairness to BN, the title says, learn a fresh approach, not easier approach. Never heard of the coffee grinder method before so I’m willing to try.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 19, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Hahaha! I have to agree, wasn’t quite sure if the heading captured the actual content because she hasn’t actually taught me an easier way to decimate those Ogbono seeds.

Saying that though, I’m a huge fan of AllNigerianRecipes. 🙂 And what I particularly love is the way she talks when she’s describing methods/recipes in her YouTube videos. Can’t fully explain it but she’s very relatable and often cheeky and gleeful, somehow at the same time…

2. Naijatalk

May 19, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Thanks Aunty Flo, your recipes have been awesome. Nice to put a face to the website.
    Can you share the recipe for Ofe Owerri and Okazi with molded egusi.
    Thanks

3. muetse

May 19, 2016 at 12:50 pm

We have it in Gabon too and we call it “Odika”. We have a different way of processing the seed for cooking, but i am sure the method of cooking and taste is the same.

4. slice

May 19, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Love your videos but I shall be buying the already ground one

• Moyo

May 19, 2016 at 1:52 pm

Lol

5. oo

May 19, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Can someone pls pls pls put up a recipe of how to make authentic suya spice at home. Some say use kuli kuli some say use groundnut, which is is correct? Much appreciated

• Kim

May 19, 2016 at 3:20 pm

9jafoodie has a very good recipe on Suya spice on their blog. Its made with kulikuli, I made it and its quite nice and tasty

6. Anne

May 19, 2016 at 2:25 pm

I love Flo of Allnigerainrecipes. Her website taught me a lot on how to cook Nigerian recipes and how to get substitutes for Nigerian ingredients outside Nigeria. When I saw her video that showed her in her day job as an off-shore worker, I loved her even more. Thank you Flo. On the subject of this post, I use the big container, the one for blending tomato etc, to blend my ogbono. I simply add enough water and blend away. It comes out good.

• Bounce

November 15, 2019 at 1:53 am

I just tried your method and oh men! Thanks so much for sharing.
      I soaked the ogbono in hot water for a little while, removed the back then proceeded to blend with some water. I tried to fry it in hot palm oil afterwards it didn’t work so I just added hot water and cooked. Now I don’t have to buy a coffee blender anymore.

7. Ogbonochopper

May 19, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Wash and peel your ogbono (very easy)before attempting to grind. Soak in warm water and run your fingers over the back of the ogbono. The skin comes off very easily. It will have a better mouth feel after cooking of course, plus it grinds more easily…fewer rounds in the coffee grinder/spice meal