Features

Isio Knows Better: A Life of Continuous Prayer to Sustain Your Happiness?

Isio 1Over the years, my family members have taught me some of the most profound wisdom I have ever learned in life. They have all said some things that have made me pause and say,

“Wow… that’s smart…”

Like Mother telling me, “If you turn yourself to sugar, dem go lick you finish.” [Translation: Well, if you turn yourself to sugar, you shall be licked finish.]

and: “Abeggi, any where wey wrapper wan tear, make e tear. When you don patch-patch all the past tear-tear, e go reach stage wey be say you sef go taayah. Once you reach that stage, na to throway face dey march dey go.” [Translation: Do your best and leave the rest].

And my personal favourite from Mother: “You, who are running, and clutching your wrapper to your chest have no real problems. You still have shame, you still care enough about people watching that you do not want the wrapper fall from your chest – thereby exposing your breasts. For when you have a REAL problem; like lion pursuing you with pawa… you will fling your wrapper to one side, and fling your breasts to the other side. All you will care about is making sure that lion does not catch you…”

I remember her chuckling as she rounded that one off to me that day. Then she continued, “Now, that’s the quality of problem you better pray never to have: the kind of problem that will make you forget to hold your breasts while running.” She smiled at me and walked away.

Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! Now, that’s smart…”

And then my sister said another good one, “No matter how much you think somebody hates you, they cannot hate you every second of every day.” For example, only a mad person will be chanting I-hate-so-so-and-so while they are sleeping or taking a dump.

*chuckles* I love my family, and I have to say that my people are an interesting mix between religion and philosophy, and the funny and the wise.

Perhaps the wisest words of all – shared to me freely – was from the prayer warrior; my aunt.

It was one of those years we used to accompany Mother to the big-church in that big-city. It was some time just before midnight, and we had to celebrate and pray with other Christian-folk about the coming new year. I remember that we had come not early enough, which meant that finding seating for myself, my aunt, and Mother was a challenge.

And so, while we walked through a sea of people, of worship and glory, Mother forged ahead, while Aunty and I fell behind – trying to catch up.

I must have had to lace my shoes, because I remember stopping to fiddle with my shoes, while Aunty stayed close. When I got up, I saw my aunt look around us, at that sea of people – with a look of such wistfulness, I had never seen before. It was so peculiar, that I had to ask her if she was alright.

She turned to me, slowly and deliberately, and said the most shocking, unexpected thing. She reached her hands to me… she said, “My dear, prayer is good. But while you are still young, I pray that you live a life, where you don’t have to pray, pray, pray… to sustain your happiness.”

WAAAAAWU!

To say I was shocked was an understatement. Here was my aunt, my beautiful, virtuous, kind and wise Christian prayer warrior of a woman, telling me she wished a life for me where I didn’t have to pray, pray, pray… I did not understand it AT ALL. She, who fasted and she prayed A LOT. She, who was as devout as devout could be.

So I asked her to explain, please.

She said, “I know that I am a born-again Christian, and I know that this might shock you to hear, but look at all these people here, praying… begging God for one thing or the other, beseeching God. Majority of the people here are women, and majority of the women here are here because of family/foundational issues. You may not understand this wish I have for you, but bear with me while I try to explain further.”

OKAYYYYYYYY, GO ON SO’UN.

She continued, “Imagine you come from a family of kpians, and so, you learn to pray, pray, pray for God to deliver you from your “village people.” He does, and life continues. You get older and start dating, and perhaps the man you have chosen too has his own familial kpians, you pray, pray, pray for God to deliver you all from wickedness, and perhaps again, God does this, and life goes on.”

“You want to write JAMB, but your result was seized, perhaps over and over again, and so you pray, pray, pray to God to pass the almighty JAMB so you can get a university education. God answers this prayer, you get into the school of your choice, and you meet someone special…”

“Sometime in your relationship, the man eye don dey waka, and so you pray, pray, pray to God to straighten his eyes back to you and bind the side chics with the Holy Ghost fire. Okay, so that side chic goes, and you’ve been dating for years, and the guy still refuses to propose, and so you pray, pray, pray that he does so. He finally does, and you are happy, but perhaps he cheats again, perhaps he has cold-feet and won’t choose a wedding date, perhaps one or both of you fall on hard financial times, or an ex from hell suddenly shows up, so what do you do? You start to pray, pray, pray again.

You get married, only to deal with in-law wahala, and so you pray, pray, pray. You want a child, but none is coming, what do you do? You pray, pray, pray some more. Perhaps you have only girls, you pray, pray, pray afresh for a son, a heir to bear the father’s name because the man and his family NEED A SON.

School fees nko? pray, pray, pray that all goes well with both your finances so you can afford it three times a year. As your child/children/family grows, you pray, pray, pray that their skoin-skoin is just temporary, and not because of “village-people”, or whatever horrors you are convinced you need to pray against.

As a woman, you pray, pray, pray for yourself, your spouse, your marriage, your children. Before you know it, you are fifty years old, or you’re sixty. You’ve spent your whole life praying, praying, praying…”

Before you know it, you realize you haven’t really lived. You realize that you’ve spent more than half of your life agitated against all the things you had to pray for and against… And so what do you do?” she turned to look at me.

Omo, I just looked at the sky, at my feet, anywhere. I could say nothing, for I had no words. I knew… with every breath of my soul, that something profound had been shared with me.

And so she said, “To pray is good, but to thank is better.  And so my dear, may God give you a life where you don’t have to pray, pray, pray to sustain your happiness. May it come easy for you, and may you keep saying, thank You, thank You, thank You God.

She looked at me and smiled, because she knew I finally understood.

And so, my lovelies, based on your life and experiences, how do you interprete her words? Would you rather have a life of binding and casting, or would you have one of gratitude? For me, her words means this, “Shine your eyes for your self, shine your eyes before choosing anything. Or else, na OYO you dey.

1. Tolu

May 3, 2016 at 11:58 am

Fantastic! God knows what we want and need so the best way to get those things is by staying thankful. Thank, thank, thank God for inspiring Isio to share this with us.

2. Wunmi

May 3, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Waoh very nice and insightful.I love this.I av never prayed much in my life till I got married.Chai I would pray pray pray and hubby would be like huh?
    But now,I just feel God has heard me he’s just yet to be manifested so right now I just sit down,cross legs and thank God for my life.Abeg,it’s much easier dat way.

3. Africhic

May 3, 2016 at 12:07 pm

This is profound. I think to give thanks is better.

4. Winnie

May 3, 2016 at 12:13 pm

This piece right here over make sense. Isio, God will continue to enlarge your coast. That’she all I have to say

5. ElessarisElendil

May 3, 2016 at 12:17 pm

I’m thankful I’m a man so I’ll have my mother, aunt, wife and daughters to do the “pray pray pray” part for me while I stick to the basics?

I’ll do my utmost best to be worthy of all the praying; won’t tire of pointing out women are the real MVPs. Wouldn’t wanna be one though?

• le coco

May 3, 2016 at 2:33 pm

YOU ARE A MAN! *GASPS*.. For some reason I always thot u were a lady.. lol…

• ThatGhanaChick

May 3, 2016 at 3:23 pm

wow! you are a man? you always came across in your comments as a woman, I never would have guessed.

• oma

May 3, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Are you for real! A MAN!!!

• Noname

May 3, 2016 at 4:30 pm

This person can lie fa. No be you talk say you be 18 abi 19 now you be man? Liar, liar.

• Me

May 3, 2016 at 11:15 pm

So being a man and being 19 is mutually exclusive? ?

• Noname

May 4, 2016 at 11:37 am

Na ARE mutually exclusive and not IS.
      ElessarisElendil is not 18 or 19.
      ElessarisElendil is not a man/male.
      Shey dat wan don epp you nau fa.

• ElessarisElendil

May 4, 2016 at 10:11 pm

????????
      Since you happen to be emotionally invested in this, never said I was 18 or 19; 21’s the number you’re looking for.

Further: “I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadain, the heir of Isildur Elendil’s son of Gondor. Here is the sword that was broken and is forged again! ”
      —The Two Towers, The Riders of Rohan”

ElessarisElendil, could easily have been JohnisDoe or WillisSmith. Christ even the username’s a dead giveaway. I blame my pink avatar, but its not like we choose the colour we come in.

May 8, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Because u are a man you won’t pray baa…glad for you!

6. boon

May 3, 2016 at 12:18 pm

I guess another way of looking at it is..there’ll always be problems in life, always be undulations of good and bad no matter how well you ‘shine your eye’ and make good choices. Maybe the best thing to do is learn to always be grateful, always see the good and not base happiness too much on having perfect circumstances.. 🙂

7. Ewa

May 3, 2016 at 12:19 pm

This just spoke to me deeply….

8. mims

May 3, 2016 at 12:22 pm

“To pray is good, but to thank is better. And so my dear, may God give you a life where you don’t have to pray, pray, pray to sustain your happiness. May it come easy for you, and may you keep saying, thank You, thank You, thank You God.” (this right here is everything!)

I’d rather have a life of thanksgiving than of binding and casting and prayinggggg ooooo. Let God continue make it easy for me biko! Thank you God!

9. Chioma.pinky

May 3, 2016 at 12:24 pm

There is so inspiring..I have never really been a prayerful person not until I got older.Prayer really works,no doubt..But it is more easier to ‘Thank God.

10. beauty

May 3, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Nice write up dearie. I remember some days back, when I thought to myself on how long I have to “pray”. I also remember saying mehn I just want to relax and let everything roll and fall into place, but I have come to terms with the fact that as long as one is alive, one is susceptible to all the foibles in life and one needs to PRAY to overcome and win. In other words no rest time!

• Anon

May 3, 2016 at 4:04 pm

my dear, the Lord gives his beloved rest o. check out how many times the word rest is in the bible and look at the context. Prayer is good but I hope you find rest for your soul.

• AnnieO

May 4, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Love this.

11. God'sFavoritePikin

May 3, 2016 at 12:31 pm

God is a wonderful God. If you surrender to him you shall always have reasons to thank him. I guess I did a lot of praying before marriage and even though I pray a lot more now than ever I am even more thankful daily. Wonderful piece of writing Isio!

12. Noms

May 3, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Oniovo, this your once in a month flow nor dey work for me ooo.
    Wisdom is profitable to direct. I’d rather live a life of thanksgiving. Prayer is a communication with God, not necessary a ask, ask, ask, situation but problems of this world nor make us see road. For situations we can control like who we marry(yes, I must relate it to marriage), na to shine your eye well well (with prayer,lol) because again, how well can you shine the eyes? Know what you can accept without praying about.
    One of the wise things of I have heard is ”what is not worth praying about is not a problem yet”‘.
    Your mama na confam delta woman.
    My mum used to say- where them go sleep, them nor dey hurry go (sex is a life time thing, so there is no need to get involved when you are not licensed to)- this always popped up when she sees guys around us…

13. Nice

May 3, 2016 at 12:46 pm

This reiterates the biblical “give thanks at all times” but there will be days when the biblical “the weapons of our warfare are not carnal…….to the breaking down of strongholds” must come to play.Every sickness with its medicine.

14. ardnas

May 3, 2016 at 12:46 pm

thank you Isio. i wont forget this line…And so she said, “To pray is good, but to thank is better. And so my dear, may God give you a life where you don’t have to pray, pray, pray to sustain your happiness. May it come easy for you, and may you keep saying, thank You, thank You, thank You God.”

15. Mgbeke

May 3, 2016 at 12:51 pm

lmao! Nigerian women’s latest solution to marital issues : “watch war room and pray” stop eeeeet! Prayers will not stop a dick that has been wandering 5 years before marriage. look before you leap, so that even when you pray, you and your husband can pray as a family, its better that way. Don’t marry a man that would keep you on ur knees all night, while he cavorts around town having the time of his life. Your prayers cannot change another person. change is an individual choice.

• Actually

May 3, 2016 at 1:45 pm

Actually prayer is the master key, Thanksgiving is a part of prayer. Prayer is that never ending conversation you have with God. Prayers can change people’s heart because you are speaking with the One who hold the heart of all men.

• Chinma Eke

May 3, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Oh my! Lmao! Nigerian women’s latest solution to marital issues!

• Tkum

May 3, 2016 at 5:51 pm

assin ehh….that tin tire me…

• TA

May 27, 2016 at 11:47 pm

Mgbeke I follow you laugh o. Be chanting go and watch war room after opening their 2 kro kro eyes to board a bus heading for destruction. Nonsense and ingredients.

16. Jeremiah 33.3

May 3, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Your prayer is very important to us, please stay on your knees and it will be answered in the order it was received…current wait times are approximately 6,000 years….your prayer is very important to us, please remain waiting.

• God

May 3, 2016 at 1:00 pm

God has a plan for everything and is always right!

STOP TRYING TO GET ME TO CHANGE MY MIND!
      I make no mistakes.

Please hang up.

17. Niyoola

May 3, 2016 at 1:03 pm

May life be kind to us. The kind of curve balls life throws at people ehn, prayer is indeed necessary.
    But Gratitude should be our way of life! Do you think your prayer is what alerts God to your needs? He knows already.

side bar: so why do we need to pray if God knows? or does he think we dont need it enough if we don’t ask? or is he trying to see how many days we can fast before he answer?

I’ve digressed. confused.com

• God

May 3, 2016 at 3:13 pm

The one who prays is the one thinks God has arranged matters all wrong and then thinks they can instruct God how to put it right.
      Such folly prayer is when you say you trust me – My plan is better than your plan, please give me what I want God, IJN. Hahaha even if you say thy will be done, what again are you still praying for? For you to know my will, you will know my will if it is my will for you to know.

18. Morolake

May 3, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Isio de la babe…lol. Lovely post as always. Your Aunty is so so so right but may we not see situations that would cause us to PRAY.

As for me, i won’t lie, i had to learn the lifestyle of thanksgiving; but before i got to this point, i had done my own share of ‘binding and casting’. You won’t blame me, some people are so wicked, they will just see you and be jealous that you look so happy, not knowing your own struggles and strike for no reason . So since the bible already warned us that we wrestle not against flesh and blood, and the heart of man is desperately wicked, you have to learn to fortify yourself in prayers and spiritual warfare.

However, fast forward to a few years ago, i learnt a principle/secret. I learnt to thank God more and SOW SEEDS. When i have a problem i have been praying about for a while, i start thanking God in advance and i sow a seed and just continue thanking God. I tell you, God has never disappointed. This principle works for different religions so we have no excuse.

My conclusion is its important to have that FERVENT prayerful foundation so the devil doesn’t try his old tricks but most importantly, developing a lifestyle of thanksgiving is key.

Ever wondered why it seemed like David in the Bible could do no wrong in God’s sight? Its was because he knew how to praise, worship and thank God a lot.

• molarah

May 3, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Good points, but please I have to disagree with that your last point. Its a misconception that has given some Christians some false comfort: “I can do what I like, sin the sin I want, so long I come to bribe God with praise and worship”. It does not follow o. God just selected David, the way He selected Abraham and co, for His glory. When David sinned, he paid big-time for it: the repercussions were terrible. Imagine one’s kids raping one another, killing one another, one’s son chasing his father off the throne and raping his father’s wives….abeg. Let’s just drop that “David-was-favored” line. God is a just God. If you seek His face and walk righteously you will be accepted by Him, if not, OYO is your case.

• Morolake

May 4, 2016 at 10:14 am

My dear Molarah, thank you for pointing that out. While i understand that we cannot continue to sin for grace to abound, i strongly believe there is a reason why David was called a man after God’s heart.

Since God’s ways aren’t like ours and we cannot begin to comprehend how He works, i’ll agree with you that we just try our best to walk righteously. Ko easy…lol.

19. A-nony

May 3, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Too many people pray out of fear. God doesn’t respond to fear. He responds to faith mixed with thanksgiving. Even the devil doesn’t respond to your fears and shouting. He responds to the authority behind what you are saying.
    Make your request known to God, thank him that he has heard you and start praising him for the manifestation. Speak the word that promises you what you are believing God for. Mix it with thanksgiving and praise. Speak. Praise.
    God doesn’t want your money or any material thing. All He wants is praise. Give Him sincere praise. Enjoy yourself in praising him. Then remind him of his words again by speaking them.
    Before long, things will just be falling in place, even prayers you didn’t pray will be answered. Don’t be tempted to get into fear and worry. It’s a comfortable position to be in, but its not the position of winners and victors.

• nothingmakessense

May 3, 2016 at 2:41 pm

I am a christian. but its bothered me that God wants so much praise. Seems very narcissistic. You just want someone from morning till night to tell you how awesome you are,? Do you not already know this? I mean you are God. Is God insecure? Does God have a character flaw? He seems needy. II won’t want to be around any human like who needs me me to constantly thank him. He also seems like a Sadist. You have to beg and beg and pray and pray for him to do something for you…and the inception of the world from genesis to the final coming of christ in revelation seems like a dramatic hollywood production. It seems God is writing a movie script that entertains him at the expense of his creation. Why does it have to be so convoluted and hard when it can be easy. Why not just destroy the devil? why wait millions of years for this triumphant defeat after so much damage? Why am I here? Why do I even exist? I can’t believe I wrote that. Oh my God. I am going to hell

• mango

May 3, 2016 at 3:15 pm

@nothingmakessense:

I wonder too o… to me these are refreshingly honest questions.
      According to the Bible, we are made in God’s image right, so I’d like to try answering some of your questions from a God-like (but super-flawed human) perspective:

About destroying the devil: imagine I created some characters for a play and decided that they should have free will. It would be dishonourable of me to write them off/destroy them once they begin to exercise that freedom. Same way I cannot necessarily cheat the law of gravity to save another character who drove off a cliff by accident maybe?

About constantly seeking praise like an egotistical somebody: according to the Bible, God inhabits the praises of His people. Maybe it’s similar to how much more enjoyable it is to spend time with happy, appreciative people? Although the Bible also says God is close to the broken hearted, so I doubt that He chooses to spend more time with the happier set of people over the unhappy ones.
      Well, like I said, I’m coming from a flawed perspective. May we receive more understanding. about God.

• Bless

May 3, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Lol…I was in your shoes years ago…it is better to be sincere and tell God what you think about him rather than fake it and go to hell…If you need help with some little explanations let me know.
      My email is [email protected]

• molarah

May 3, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Please you are not going to hell. It’s human to have questions if you don’t understand something.

As Christians, we are not expected to praise God as a requirement, or as an obligation to avoid being struck down by Him. Our praise is supposed to come out from the realization of who He is and what He has done for us – it is like the saying that goes “whoever is able to think, will be able to thank”. Praise is a stream of gratitude flowing from a heart that has recognized God’s goodness and mercies.

And as to why God does not just destroy the devil instead of waiting for so long, the quick rebuttal is “why does God not destroy you (or me) when I sin or commit an evil?” Let’s be assured that righteous judgement is priority for God. He knows exactly what He is doing, and His timings are impeccable. It’s stuff we cannot understand from our mortal lens, but there is one day where we will stand and see it all, and it will all add up in our heads. We derive our sense of justice from God, and He is perfect: so justice will be perfectly served in the end. In the end, building trust in God and faith in His goodness, love and justice, is what we need to carry us through trying and questionable times. God will come through for us, but every Christian must believe this for themselves.

• ElessarisElendil

May 3, 2016 at 5:58 pm

“I am a christian.”: Congratulations!

“but its bothered me that God wants so much praise. Seems very narcissistic…………”: Well according to scripture, God is not a human being, does not think like one. I’m not a prayer warrior, really struggle to even fit in time for rosary, I too am bemused by constant prayers, but the way I view it is rather simple. God is perfect, we are not. In other to approach his presence we need to get in a state closer to him, kinda like getting spruced up for an interview. Think of the praise and prayer as your properly prepared CV and well starched get-up. At least that’s the way I view the protestant and Motherly praying styles, Catholic prayers tend to come with descriptions.

“the inception of the world from genesis to the final coming of christ in revelation……….:: Well, we Catholics don’t really take the bible literally verse for verse (we “wrote” the bible, well heavily edited it), the bible is the sum of the its parts and what matters is the fundamental truth of God’s love for us. It is hard because of human nature, our free will, the entire story of the bible really can be compressed into one word; OBEY. Its humanity’s refusal to work the hard narrow part of obedience and moral uprightness that leads to all the drama, every reaction has its opposite reaction, wages of sin is death.

“Why not just destroy the devil?”: Because humanity has a choice, taking away that choice would be to contravene God’s nature.
      Think of it this way, the devil will not be destroyed until the last days,
      why?
      Because human beings still make the choice to sin and God not being a liar has to let it all play out until the seven seals go boom (I dislike discussing the book of Revelations for obvious reasons; scary stuff). To destroy the devil would also involve taking our free will away. Think of it as two roads, until the end of days, humans every day choose which part to work down, the option has to exist or we lose the very thing that makes us human; choice.

“why wait millions of years for this triumphant defeat after so much damage?”: My understanding, God is not a man that he should lie, he promised to never destroy the world again, promised man a choice, promised that prophets would come and warn man to refrain from sin e.t.c, the key word there is his promise.

“Why am I here?” Literal answer, because BellaNaija has an interesting community, Scientific answer, to attempt procreation and pass on your genetic material, philosophical answer: To learn, religious answer: Because you’re specially made with a purpose to bring happiness to somebody, to live a life of kindness and inspiration, to inspire tears on your death and hopefully ascend to happiness that knoweth no sorrow in heaven.

“Why do I even exist?”: Nobody can answer that question because it is not a question, you exist, that is a fact. The real question is how can I make my existence worthwhile, some try to find that in the golden rule.

“Oh my God. I am going to hell”: No you’re not, even Jesus swayed from his path, doubt is but the whetstone on which faith is sharpened.

I suck at discussing religion, but for some weird reason I persist, ultimately your journey is a personal one, only you can make up your mind. To help you on your journey I’d recommend Benedict XIV’s books (Man’s a kickass theologian) back when he was Joseph Ratzinger and Diarmaid Macculloch’s history of Christianity so you can see all the shenanigans (wasn’t all shenanigans though) Catholics pulled???

Good luck, may the Force (should have written this on the 4th) be with you.

• blogaddict

May 4, 2016 at 1:27 pm

No I disagree with you, you are not a Christian. When next you innovate or create a thing allow it dictate to you what use It’s going to be to you then you can come back and call God names.

• Que

May 4, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Thanks for taking the time @ElessarisElendil….

Isio you got me teary eyed….cos I recen5ly got tired of praying about a certain thing.. faced with choices and limited insight, so its a scary place, but I’m just tired of feeling like I’ve plateaued at such a young age.

I will pray for the wisdom though to make life enhancing choices, other than that, we’ll deal with the life after d choice, cos as my friend will say, hope nor be strategy…..gotta act. Hopefully I’ll make enough choices to be happy and thankful for. .

• Truth

September 8, 2016 at 1:04 pm

lol! Simply your mind waking up to the idea that all you know or were told is a big lie.

20. Valentina

May 3, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Isio, thank you very much and may God bless you for this, Amen.

21. Ajala & Foodie

May 3, 2016 at 1:20 pm

I was talking to a cousin over the weekend and he was telling me how he was struggling and I remember telling him how I am sure Dangote would probably complain about struggling too if asked.
    It is very difficult not to get carried away by the cares and worries of this life and be so caught up in the whirlwind of things we don’t have or things we need. The truth is in this life we will always lack hence why we are always be praying and asking God for more.
    What I got from what your Aunt said is this: we need to learn to balance our need for a better life with appreciating what we have and living in the now. Because if we are constantly focusing on the things we lack, we will never take time to appreciate and enjoy the things we have and before we know it we are old or worse dead and life has passed us by and left us feeling like all we have achieved is a life of prayer for more instead one of thanksgiving.

22. ELLA

May 3, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Wowwwwww! Really enjoyed every piece of this article.. I would rather live a life of GRATITUDE than CASTING and BINDING.. Be thankful always, good things of life will locate us without us asking with prayers, for God searches the deepest things of our heart…. #thankfulheart

23. LL

May 3, 2016 at 2:01 pm

Lovely as usual. I will really like to spend a day in your head Isio. That word from your aunt is very deep oh. Funny thing is how you take things for granted when you don’t have to pray and pray. But once you begin to have to pray hard for things, you begin to understand life even better and judge people less. I guess one way we can keep happy is to give thanks even as we pray hard.

24. Weezy

May 3, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Its like people are missing the point because they saw the word prayer.

She is not saying “thanksgiving is better than prayer because God said in Isaiah 200 verse 49.5….I am the Lord and I do not respond to complaints. Bring ye thy thanks preferably please” She is saying that it shouldn’t be normal to have so many problems, and maybe some of tgem can be avoided. Anyway, Nigeria is a tough society, so a lot of people have problems for much of their lives.

25. Uju Lilian Ikegbune

May 3, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Isio na real warri girl! I love this article. od I thank you, may I live a life of gratitude to you. I love this article, Isio please can I share?

26. kender talks

May 3, 2016 at 2:16 pm

praying is good and thanksgiving is equally a part of prayer. I would rather give thanks more often than the whole casting and binding.

27. bumble bee

May 3, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Sometimes when I read things like this, I wonder if God is trying to talk to me.. I swear I had this discussion with my friend yest, we were discussing my relationship woe and she said na wa oo!!! My sister @ this stage ehn you ought to be praying 4 God to bless you and give you a job and bless bf and open doors for you both, you’ll be praying for God to shut his family eyes and wish them whatever bad they wish you.. she said that’s misplaced prayer priorities my sister, I told her at this point sef I no dey pray For the relationship sef, if e wan end let it end, All I ask God For is a job soon. Another thing that comes to mind was one Wednesday my mom told I and my sister to accompany her to church to see a man of God, we got there by to 6, people were already there waiting well we took nos and service begun and after much praying and “kabashing” @ a point I stopped praying I turned to my sister who @ this point was already angry cos she didn’t want to go.. I said come let’s pray that we would not find ourselves in this kind of congregation again, she said why? I told her let’s be factual, if we both have good jobs, are we going to take excuse from the office to come here, those that are working in reputable organisations are they not in their offices, are they here binding family witches abi they don’t have in their family.. she laughed so hard that my mom gave us the stink eye, but I meant every word I was saying.. I told God uplift me in such a way that all I do is praise you. To be at the right place at the right time, not when my mates are in the office, i’m in church praying for my family witches to die

28. naijabritish

May 3, 2016 at 3:18 pm

hmmmmm. abeg e get anybody wey fit pray for me because seriously I don dey tire, pray, fast thanksgiving, affirm positivity, work hard, learn, develop yourself etc i don do all of them oooo. Every single person that started with me seems to have found a headway in life. I no longer like to remember birthdays because it’s just a constant reminder. I don’t even know where to start other than please someone say a prayer for me and my family.

• Banke

May 3, 2016 at 4:52 pm

It is well….

• Anony

May 3, 2016 at 10:11 pm

I just prayed for you, hold on, this one too shall pass.

29. Tru

May 3, 2016 at 3:45 pm

So profound, Isio…

30. Chinma Eke

May 3, 2016 at 3:55 pm

‘ To pray is good, to thank is better!’ That for me is the lesson learnt from this article.

31. Lauryn

May 3, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Your comment made me smile. You know what I think the answer is? God is so true to his word that he can’t do otherwise. He set laws in motion from the beginning of time that he cannot change or to change might need as big a sacrifice as Jesus.
    There are laws in the spirit realm. Praising God happens to activate his power and manifested presence on a situation. Just as when you sow something, you reap it .

32. Ruby

May 3, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Isio, I love you. *hugs*. No homo sister-girl

33. Osaretin

May 3, 2016 at 5:08 pm

Woke up to this lol Nice one Isio you never disappoint 🙂

34. Tkum

May 3, 2016 at 5:59 pm

hmmmmm….

Deep convos…Deep comments.

35. Mi

May 3, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Indeed God IS narcissistic, but what makes him different from everyone else is that He and only He alone deserves it. Afterall, He created this world -including you and I to revolve around Him.

36. Mi

May 3, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Why do you pray and how do you pray? A lot of times what we call “prayers” is just us repeatedly nagging God so that He can make all our problems go away, and mix in a little praise (so that He can respond to us faster) and then we continue living our lives.
    Truth is if life went a lot smoothly for most of us, we’d have no use for God.
    Sometimes we just pray because we know God has all the power to do anything, so we get close to Him so that we can access His powers.
    Do you have that friend that is only your friend because they know you have a lot of money or because your father’s name can open doors? Would you call them your true friends?
    Know that God EVERY problem you encounter in life is specially handpicked for you by God Himself. He has created us for His pleasure so He wants to be involved in every little detail of our lives. Those same problems we nag Him about are opportunities for Him to engage us.
    When we see prayer as talking to God (not just about our problems), we will be in a better place.
    So even if you continue to thank Him without developing a real relationship with Him, those problems are not going anywhere.
    We should look at prayer as just hosting with God, telling Him our fears, our feelings, learning what He wants us to learn and our lives will be indeed richer.

37. Tincan

May 3, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Lord, Father, I thank You for NaijaBritish. I lift her/him to Your throne of mercy and grace and I ask You will reveal your plans and desires for her/him. I pray that she/he will begin to experience Your love and presence in a new way. A way that will inform every facet of her/ his life. Lord pour out Your grace over this one and give him/her a new song in Jesus name. Amen.

38. The real dee

May 3, 2016 at 10:23 pm

I read this and tears welled up in my eyes. I realise how ungrateful I am to God sometimes. My own pray pray pray life started between the age of 19 and 21 and I remember the Pastor told me pray pray pray now so that when you are in your forties or fifties, you won”t have to be pray pray pray. Because life would be smoother as you have done all the binding and casting when you were younger.

To be sincere with you, I have not even clocked 30 and I read all the things women will pray pray pray for and I have received all of them with ease. This is why I ‘m crying as I type this because I realize how ungrateful I am. I let little things like temporary unemployment, not having money to squander, bearing in mind we have money that we need, and all fickle things of life make me refuse to appreciate God’s work in my life.

I will start being Thankful, God i’m so sorry.

May 8, 2016 at 9:49 pm

I read this and tears welled up in my eyes. I realise how ungrateful I am to God sometimes. My own pray pray pray life started between the age of 19 and 21 and I remember the Pastor told me pray pray pray now so that when you are in your forties or fifties, you won”t have to be pray pray pray. Because life would be smoother as you have done all the binding and casting when you were younger…..i doubt that much……My mother has been praying for as long as I can remember,she’s in her sixties now and she still does (am not saying jelenke prayer o,i mean serious ones,with fasting & deliverance to follow…..after serious prayers then praises follow,and then rolling on the floor and then more praises) even we the kids(4) have joined in but still they refuse my mother to be happy.(A mother’s happiness is when her children turn out well in life,i guz you know that)we all went to school in serious lack (father was a senior officer but never give to us his family but to outsiders,mama pray against that one for years but he never changed) all thru school we had to struggle,my sis sold a lot of stuffs in school for us to get by in Uni……father always say he never has……all we look forward to is graduating from uni and getting a job(To console mother for all her years of pain) this is my sis 9th year out of school without job(the first two years was a 25k job that she almost lost her life doing,then another 25k job but this time with commission,she did this for another 3years or thereabout ,for the past 4years now nothing………..this is my 6thyear out of school with service et all…..i struggle get job last year and I praise & thank God for it every day even till the day it was taking from me(mother was happy for the first time in ages) and then I lost it 7months later (the funniest part was I was still thanking God for this very job that same morning,in the cab,at the park it was all praise till I got to work and I came home empty handed…..(mother cries everyday now and it hurts me to see her that way)…..its almost like God even refuse to take praise sef becos the more I praise him for something,he takes it away from me instanta……..so my sis those talk of pray when you are young so you won’t when u get older is fabu oo! (forgive my epistle)

39. GomerBeloved

May 3, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Lord, thank you for the gift of life that you gave @Naijabritish, thank you that this year 2016 will be the most talked about year in NiajaBritish’s life because it will be the year that things will start turning around in NB’s life for good, and it will just keep getting better! Thank you Lord and I love you too 🙂

40. Wise up

May 4, 2016 at 11:19 am

A Lightbulb moment! Thank God! Isio has just explained my own spiritual philosophy which I myself didn’t really understand so clearly, but now I do!

41. Cee

May 4, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Watch War Room keh? Better watch Left Behind and pray!!!!!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 4, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Really shouldn’t be “lalfing” at such an important point… but that’s so funny and very true. 😀

Isio babes, I don’t have a problem with a life of continuous prayers to God – even Jesus said in this life, we will have trouble. My desire is simply to know how to pray with understanding… as in, falling into His presence and not just babbling. That babbling dey tire person, abeg…. And the main struggle lies in building relationship which makes God stick closer than a brother. Want to know when certain prayers are needed and when to rest because it’s time to move on to another point. Thanksgiving is a definite but I need that blueprint for dialoguing with Him daily on a heart-to-heart basis.

And Jesus stayed in continuous prayer mode throughout His lifetime and ministry. From start to finish, He was constantly and fully committed to praying. Definitely not easy but… possible.

• Manny

May 5, 2016 at 2:32 am

Mz Socially Awkward .. good point. Indeed, Jesus was in a constant state of prayer while he was on earth and we are enjoined as Christians to do the same.
      However, Jesus prayed simple prayers as well as “warfare” prayers. You know what makes prayer tiring in our clime? It’s because there’s this notion that every prayer must be warfare prayer. That special forces are behind every issue. That it takes very special anointing to break the yoke.
      When things don’t work in a society, everything becomes a source of anxiety, What is taken for granted in one society becomes a prayer point in Nigeria.
      At the same time, people do need a change of mindset in Nigeria. Let’s go to any big revival and conduct a survey ….. what lots of people need from God via these revivals can be easily received by kneeling by their beds and praying to God consistently. In addition, a lot of problems are perceived. Also, the admonition that you don’t know your day of visitation keeps a lot of people in a mental roller-coaster of I must pray pray pray. At this point, it becomes rote with no spiritual connection.
      If a woman goes to church all the time and her only prayer is for the sustenance of her marriage, for her husband to stop cheating … fa fa fa foul. She is creating her own unhappiness.
      Being in a constant state of prayer is possible and I pray to get better at it. There are my seasons of warfare, the days when “Have mercy on me Lord” is a constant refrain, days when it’s praise all the way. These are all valid forms of prayer. Most importantly, I understand the finished work on the cross and i don’t make my problems larger than Christ.

42. AnnieO

May 4, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Sometimes words do fail us, i have been in situations where i get lost for words to say (Prayers) and i just cry…. YET he answers, God sees every heart, He knows our needs He knows our struggles. Praise to me is Faith! Its recognizing that what you asked for has been answered. Prayer and Praise go hand in hand. Sometimes just a Thank You Jesus is enough.

43. Oyaga

May 4, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Isio, this post is by far one of my most favorite by you!

I cannot even articulate how it made me feel, but i know it sha touched me deep! We don’t have to ever struggle if we are blessed with that privileged life, where we just get to say “Thank you God” all the time because things come to us easy. No battles, No wahala, No stress, No wiches from the village, just the goooooood life!

44. Oyaga

May 4, 2016 at 6:56 pm

@ Naijabritish, Matthew 6:26-27; Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air: They do not sow or reap or gather into barns — and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his lifespan?…

Ecclesiastes 9: 11; Again saw under the sun that the race is not to the swift and the battle is not to the warriors, and neither is bread to the wise nor wealth to the discerning nor favor to men of ability; for time and chance overtake them all.

God is making you “Time” now! and all the stars will align in you favor. Just trust him.

45. Honeycrown

May 4, 2016 at 7:46 pm

@naijabritish. Don’t give up. Continue to hold on to God with faith and he will answer you. Once you believe your prayers have been answered pray to him with thanks (always give thanks but give thanks in advance for this prayer once you feel it in your heart) I’m sure you’ve heard before that delayed or unanswered prayers isn’t a No from God. And even a No from God could also be the answer to your prayer. I have prayed for you ?

46. Honeycrown

May 4, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Lovely article and I enjoyed he comments too. Thanks for sharing Isio

47. optimistic_cy

May 5, 2016 at 12:20 am

Godbless U Isio….

48. Vann

May 5, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Thank God for this post- God bless you Isio!
    Thank God for the commentators- God bless us all!
    Naijabritish-NB, make sure you remember to tell us- BN community, the good news when it finally comes to pass or one you didn’t even realise you were waiting for but has finally reached you. We love you and we are praying for you. #Testimony

49. IAmTired#

May 6, 2016 at 1:42 am

Isio your aunty is so right, some of us, before we gain admission, na wahala, to grad…… Na gbegeh, finish nysc….get job…..serious gbegeh!!!

And you begin to wonder, are you really living life???
    I am just tireeeeeeeeeed!

50. semesee

May 6, 2016 at 4:48 am

Tithing and giving generously always works for me! Fasting, praise and worship and prayer! . Just don’t give up.

51. semesee

May 6, 2016 at 6:47 am

Interceding for others. It works. Serving God…..faithfully …no eye service oh! Just do not give up.

52. tony

June 23, 2016 at 11:53 am

The reason human needs are endless is because they are not actually following the teachings of Christ. And yet expect favours from God.You can’t eat your cake and have it.If your not obeying the teachings of Christ in the new testament, say good bye to happiness in this life.love ….
    …Tony

53. Temi

June 29, 2016 at 7:25 am

Prayer in itself is communication with God and it should never be reduced to just monologue (which means one-sided request all the time). The Bible commands us to pray without ceasing as this strengthens our relationship with God. Prayer should never be something we do as a chore but something we enjoy. The major point here is that a prayer of dialog and heartfelt communication draws us to God and the one with God can never be touched by the devil. Prayer therefore is the master key, I want to add, when we do it right.

54. Dee

July 24, 2016 at 12:00 am

I actually cried reading this. I’m just 18,but if i start to talk the kind of battles i have been through, my brother e no go end. @anon commenter ‘no’, i want you to know you’re not alone and keep trusting God even when it seems he’s not there. Trust me cos I’ve been broken and I’ve known years of asking for things and not getting them. Don’t ever give up but try meet a priest cos ur case sounds like foundation issues, it’s what i did too

55. Yemisi

August 12, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Last year, my New Year’s resolution was to for once live like i believe Christ has died for my sins and that He Has my back rather than the fear we constantly live in. This is so true and the timing of it itself is a Prayer answered. Thank you

56. Kehinde Ajose

August 22, 2016 at 6:39 pm

This is deep stuff.Thank you for sharing this depth of an insight

57. Oyaga

September 16, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Where is Isio though?! It has been too long mehn!

• Ferrari

October 12, 2016 at 9:22 am

Really BN where is Isio??????????? I miss her….

58. Missy_i

October 6, 2016 at 4:23 pm

This is to no and Dee, God knows, God sees. Its time to start thanking him for the things you have been praying about stop asking. The first time you asked he heard just bless him trusting that he has done it all according to his will. Also look for ways to help other people who may be in need in any little way you can, which can be through acts of service.

As for me i believe i need to be in constant communion with God even though i often dont get to do that, but i’m a work in progress. I thank God everyday for the favour he grants, for the prayers i haven’t received the physical manifestation. I know he has heard so i just wait in thanksgiving.

God is faithful always!

59. BUKOLA

December 8, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Dear isio congratulations on your recent achievement….please i will be grateful if you can respond… please what school did you study your Interior architecture design and do i need to have degree in architecture… how do i go about it. thank you

60. kwinray

January 26, 2017 at 3:59 pm

the issue is that the concept of prayer is misunderstood, God is not deaf, he doesn’t wait until u have prayed for fifteen years before he hears you, its simple, if you pray according to his will, he hears you. Plus we Christians like to jump straight to praying before finding out what God says about the issue, by knowledge shall my righteous one prevail therefore we go to God understanding exactly what God has said about what we want to see happen. We prefer to get into activities than to see what God has already done through his son Jesus. Prayer is so powerful, it’s religion to think that it has to be done in a certain way, on your kneels or on a mountain, it can be said silently in your heart, God lives inside of yours wen we have given our lives to him through Christ so we are not stoning prayers to heaven waiting for it to get to your turn before he hears us, God is not man! A life with God is so much ease, Jesus has paid it all for us, not just for our sins but every other thing we will need for an easy life.

61. damipe

February 23, 2017 at 8:50 pm

pls whr is isio, we need more of ur posts her last post was last year , pls watz going on?

62. l

April 18, 2017 at 3:01 am

WHERE IS ISIO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you are doing well in your endeavors. I miss you.

63. gia

May 9, 2017 at 5:01 pm

I wish they would just close her account…i mena,she’s obviously not coming back! ._.

• l

June 15, 2017 at 6:17 pm

why is she not coming back biko?

64. Brent