Features

Latenda: 11 Helpful Steps on How to Repair Damaged Hairline Edges

Latenda

Natural Hair Pop Quiz - BellaNaija - April2015The stories I tell of black hairlines usually start with a woman with thick hair who lost it all when she started braiding and weaving her hair. Braids and weaves had been her reprieve. She wore them all year. Very tightly and with no intermittent breaks. Her impossible desire to wear long, hanging hair became all she knew
Naomi Campbell's HairlineShe noticed as time passed that her edges were becoming thinner and the hairline was receding. Her traditional braiding style could no longer disguise the breaking hair. So she started wearing full head weaves that covered her edges. It seemed that her hair issues were interfering with her self-esteem. And every time she took one step towards resolving them, years of association with bad hairdressers continuously took her many steps back.
What was she to do? Was she to totally give up on her hair and secretly resent it? Having stripped it off, braid by braid over years of being ill informed?
I believe there is a solution for the black woman and her disappointment in her hairline. Not just one solution, but an array of solutions. It starts with self love and self healing. The first step is to speak good health into the hairline. If your frustration with your hairline is at an all-time high, then follow the steps below for a total hair turn around.
Step 1: Drink plenty of water, and as you drink the water, imagine that the water is delivering healing not just to your hair but to your whole body.
Step 2: Eat a balanced diet filled with nuts and fish. Take a daily complete multivitamin.
Step 3: Get rid of all tight braids and tight weaves. Never ever wear single plaits ever again, until your hair is fully recovered. Don’t do these styles so often.
Step 4: Sleep on a silk/satin pillowcase.
Step 5: Moisturise your hairline daily with a little Glycerine followed by a natural oil such as Shea Butter
Step 6: Correct breakage weekly by performing a protein treatment on your edges.
Step 7: Adopt low manipulation protective styling such as box twists or braids.
Step 8: Invest in good quality combs and brushes.
Step 9: Avoid coloring your hairline or using harsh relaxers.
Step 10: Give your hair a break between weaves and braids.
Step 11: Be patient with your hair and give it time to grow.
Thank you for reading this article. These are just a few steps to guide you on a path to a better hair line and I will expand on them with more information in upcoming posts. Remember that it is only hair but it is far more important to live a happy and healthy life. Love harder and do something everyday that brings you joy and wellness.

Latenda owns a hair salon and specialises in protective styling for people wanting to grow their hair (natural & relaxed). She has previously worked with a number of well-known influencers & music artists as well the head stylist at the Screen Nation Awards 2015/2016. She is also working on Mr and Miss Nigeria in October with press coverage in Black Hair & Beauty, Pride, Niji Magazine, Glam Hair Mag just to name a few.Twitter - @LatendaHair Instagram - @LatendaHairSalon Facebook - LatendaHairSalon

1. help a sister

May 25, 2016 at 11:09 am

Dear Latenda,
    please I need your advice. I always have itchy scalp even after washing my hair and I do so every 2 weeks with teatree shampoo and other products. I’ve had this problem all my life. Also my hair grows at a slow rate even after I shaved off everything last year.
    thank you so much.

• Confusedmuch

May 25, 2016 at 11:46 am

You might have an allergy? Have u visited d hospital on this before.
      I have smthn similar which I had to do a blood test etc. but mine was reacting to synthetic hair n lots of foreign things. I just wash and use natural products e.g shea butter.
      I’m still learning wat my hair can and can’t accept. For now I’m just wearing my natural hair and I’m fine when I do. But I’m still doing more research.

• help a sister

May 25, 2016 at 12:15 pm

thank you so much. I think it is time to pay a visit to hospital. God Bless!

• Esther

May 26, 2016 at 12:35 am

Synthetic hair has a coating which can be removed using apple cider vinegar. Once the coating has been removed, that should stop allergic reactions

2. Confusedmuch

May 25, 2016 at 11:38 am

Iv always had thick long hair, but my issue now is I am allergic to any form of extensions that isn’t human hair. This stuff just started last year.
    I use to always weave(Ghana weaving) and braid with d regular synthetic attachment. But for a year now when I weave with them, I have to remove immediately, I itch all over from d crown of my hair to d sole of my feet.
    Even when I do weaves with human hair I have the same problem, I scratch all over like a crazed person.
    Went to d clinic, was giving allergy meds.
    Tried changing shampoo,conditioner etc . Even put dettol in water used to wash my hair.
    So now basically I can only wear my natural hair, luckily it’s long. But I can’t do anything like weaves even human hair weaves. The most is wigs, and has to be human hair.
    Iv made a couple of wigs with my human hair. Which I just wear on outings and to work. Den once again it’s off.
    My hair stylist even went as far as saying maybe it’s spiritual, my head just doesn’t want to accept any hair that isn’t mine.
    But I know that’s crap, I think it’s just an allergy I developed.
    Pls has any one had dis happen before? I need advice, thanks.

• Ebunlola

May 25, 2016 at 12:57 pm

I have the same issue. Not done any weave last one year. I scratch like a mad person. Thought it was just me.

3. Ajala & Foodie

May 25, 2016 at 1:13 pm

I am confused by some points raised by this article, when the writer said One should never ever have single plaits done until your hair has recovered in step 3. And then went on to say you shouldn’t do this often I believe this single plaits referred to individual braids, twist et al. But then step 7 then said, adopt styles like box braids, braids. Are these not the same styles step 3 had us avoiding? Or am I mistaken in my interpretation of the word single plaits?

I used to have problems with my edges but by God’s grace once I decided to go natural this past Dec my edges were the first parts to recover. During this transition period, I have kept weaves on. With a week or 2 week break between taking out an old weave and getting a new one. But like most things, I think when it comes to hair different things work for different people. My sister has been natural for years now, she has tried different ways to improve on her edges and hers includes the front and back of her head but still no improvement. She is trying having a wig on and just keep cornrows on underneath the weave at the moment. But still no improvement. So I personally doubt there is a one size fits all rule with hair issues.

• NaijaPikin

May 25, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Try soaking the hair in apple cide vinegar solution for 30mins. rinse under warm water and dry before using.

Works for me.

• Abz

May 25, 2016 at 9:34 pm

I was just about to pint that out too. Did not make any sense at all.

4. Latosha

May 25, 2016 at 9:12 pm

I’ve been applying Emu Joy emu oil that I mix with castor oil to my edges for about 2 months now and am seeing some growth. It took about a month before I saw the first hairs coming through.

5. Carol omens

May 26, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Pls what can i use or do to make my hair grow

6. Rolayo

May 26, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Kemi Lewis of KLS Salon, Ikoyi recommended ORS temple fertilizing balm to me and I have seen positive results since I started using it. I recommended it to my aunt and she also had positive results.

7. Teresa

October 2, 2016 at 1:36 am

Where do you get that from temple fertilizing balm ?