It’s Wednesday and it’s time for a new edition of BN Style Your Bump, a series where BN Style looks into maternity style from different women to help inspire you! So far we have profiled Chrissy Teigen, Patricia Bright, Kourtney Kardashian, Tamera Mowry, Maky Benson, Blake Lively, Lami Phillips, Nikki Perkins, Lilian Esoro-Franklin, Kate Middleton and Teslimat Yusuf – click here to see them glow in style.
Today we have Hollywood actress, Olivia Pope on hit TV show Scandal, the lovely Kerry Washington. The actress who is married to NFL player Nnamdi Asomugha, is currently pregnant and already a mother of one. Her maternity style has definitely become one of my favourite style your bump features and you’ll see why as we go on. She’s not afraid to mix things up with all silhouettes and try new things like wearing a cute pink crop top to the 20th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in 2014.
Let’s start with her maxi dresses which is definitely a comfort zone for most pregnant women and Kerry wears them well.
The peplum like details of this dress and embellishment on the chest region help take attention away from her bump and more on her lovely slim face. The V-neck also helps, which is something I’ve always liked for pregnant ladies.
An empire waist is always a good idea, ass seen on this blue dress, interesting sleeves as well.
This bless dress is a sexier take on the maxi dress with a thigh high slit, something I always recommend as well. A thigh high slit and V-neck helps flaunt your slimmer features at this preggers moment, your legs and your neck.
This is one part of her style I love most, the colours and the prints and I love all the looks of course but this cute crop top is definitely my favourite one!!!
She also wears quite a few black dresses that look gorgeous on her! My favourite is this one with the ruffled hem.
This Kerry edition has really given me life with all those colours and florals! Now I don’t know who my favourite it, I used to think it was Blake Lively but Kerry Washington was pretty good this week!
Here’s are a few styling tips to remember:
- Accentuate your slimmest body parts; your legs, ankles, neck, arms, wrist and the point between your baby bump and bust, where the empire waist line falls.
- Jackets are a great way to conceal the bump while thigh high slits and V-necks are great for flaunting your slim body parts.
- Don’t be afraid to wear bodycon dresses and feel sexy with your body just remember to be tasteful about it. If you’re a beginner with this, try a bodycon dress in a dark colour and maxi length. This reduces attention on your bump.
- Balancing outfits is key. Counter volume by showing skin or wearing fitted pieces. A great example of this is Blake in her big jackets, jeans and boots. If she wore wide leg pants with those big jackets, it wouldn’t be flattering for her baby bump.
- And if you have no baby bump, check the BN Body Series for useful styling tips!
Hope you loved this edition as much as I did, look out for more stylish mums.
Photo Credits: Kris Connor/Getty Images, Rabbani and Solimene Photography/Getty Images, Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images for NAACP Image Awards, David Livingston/Getty Images, Jason Merritt/Getty Images, Angela Weiss/Getty Images for NBCUniversal, C Flanigan/Getty Images, Frazer Harrison/Getty Images, Jason Kempin/Getty Images, Stefanie Keenan/Getty Images for ELLE, Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images, Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images, Jason Kempin/Getty Images for SAG-AFTRA Foundation, Angela Weiss/Getty Images, Larry Busacca/Getty Images, Paul Zimmerman/Getty Images for HBO, Kris Connor/Getty Images