BN TV

Want to Lose that Weight Fast, Why not try a Beans Diet? Learn More on “Eat Right Africa” with Ayo Van Elmar

Nutritionist and Designer Ayo Van Elmar is out with a new episode of ‘Eat Right Africa’ and once again, she shared the many nutritional values of Beans.

Beans are so flexible and can be added to a lot of meals and if you would like to try something challenging, take your body on a bean diet, replace meals containing meat with meals containing beans. Have a serving of beans once a day and record your observations for 30 days.

Watch the vlog here!

1. keeks

June 14, 2016 at 11:57 am

beans beans beans beannnnns i loveeee beeeaaannnnnnnnnssssssssssssssss! akara, moi moi, beans porridge, gbegiri, beans n rice, bean pancakes, beans n plantain, beans n corn porridge(MYBEST CURRENTLY), beans and yam, beaaaannnnnnsssssss, ewa goin, beans and garri spread on top, beans and ijebu garri with ice cold wate, chai beans and exclusive’s HOT breadr!!!! plsssss any other method or ways it can be eaten???

• Bunmi

September 21, 2016 at 9:20 am

Beans and corn, popularly called Adalu?

2. Elitebabe

June 14, 2016 at 12:32 pm

We don’t miss you o Ayo… haba wetin dey Na? You just leave your fatgurls eh?

3. Elitebabe

June 14, 2016 at 12:32 pm

*don* miss you…

4. tobi

June 14, 2016 at 2:55 pm

keeks, you clearly love beans… come to think of it, asides what we know above, are there other ways? or say more healthy ways to eat beans apart drowning it in palm oil?

• Mz Socially Awkward....

June 15, 2016 at 11:36 am

I never cook my beans in palm oil. Can’t even remember the last time I ate beans made in palm oil and like @keeks, I looooove beans (in its traditional pottage form though as I’m not so hot on akara and I can sometimes forget about moon-moon for months… But I can eat bean pottage every single night ?)

I either make white beans and with stew prepared separately or I cook the beans in a tomato base. And for both methods, I only use olive oil. Started cooking it that way since my Cameroonian friend shared her receipe for how they traditionally prep kidney beans & I wondered why the same method couldn’t be adopted for cooking our own beans.

Not sure why a lot of Nigerians scoff at the idea of cooking beans without palm oil but I think it’s just as delicious with olive oil.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

June 15, 2016 at 11:38 am

*Moin-moin* ?

5. Mobolanle

June 14, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Beans ….. is one of those dishes I stay away from, makes me very gassy, fart fart fart!!!!
    Eatrightafrica; is there a way to get around the farting? Cuz it seems like a very healthy meal and I feel like am surely missing out.

• Ewa

June 15, 2016 at 8:16 am

Hi, try soaking the beans overnight, dispose off the water and then cook as you would with fresh, clean water.

• Ewa

June 15, 2016 at 8:16 am

*soaking the raw dried beans overnight

6. Nichole Christensen

June 14, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Beans are awesome and i love them but they are unhealthy to eat them regularly at bigger portions. But at least this article is not talking about how to lose weight with exercising becasue right meal plan is the key. I used to ruin but then i realized that after 40 min run i burned only half of my breakfast.. Im on this diet plan and im doing great hop-reviews.com/wl

7. Jamie Alison

June 14, 2016 at 11:49 pm

I’d like to add 1 thing. If you don’t want to spend a lot of time working out then just do a 7 minute cardio session as soon as you wake up, this can be a great metabolism boost to revitalize you and freshen you up for the day.

For example you can do a 20 second sprint then 20 second jog, alternate that for 7 minutes. Heck, you don’t have anywhere to run? Just do it on the spot, anything to get the body moving and the heart pumping!

Be careful in which guides you follow. There are TONS of fad diets and lies. Here’s a great weight loss program I used to lose weight and permanently keep it off: thehealthspecialists.com

8. Tosin

June 15, 2016 at 3:52 am

you say why not? lol. what the Queen of England calls mess.

ok seriously now 🙂
    anyway one time recently i discovered ewa agonyin (the drier refried beans) and yes it’s good for weight management. esp if coupled with the usual things – water, some exercise (i still haven’t got the habit), and light and decent foods.
    people are different sha and i constitutionally don’t like a lot of beans, from when i was a kid. and someone explained to me that many kids gain the dislike for beans because it doesn’t work with their tummy (the bloating, discomfort).
    half of my family won’t touch beans and half of my family could drink it all day they love it so much (disgusting!) . depends on your tummy.
    i stopped the all-the-time beans nonsense obviously but now i’m at the point where i like it enough to eat sometimes. usually sandwich ni o. moinmoin burger, ewa agonyin sandwich etc.

9. Deedee

June 15, 2016 at 7:03 am

@Mobolanle to stop farting, you have to embrace it, I mean literally eat more and more beans. Your body will get used to it and then you’ll stop producing that much gas 😉 but run away and fart more…lol

10. Rayva

June 15, 2016 at 8:02 am

@tobi there is bean salad if you like…..

11. Backinthedaz

June 15, 2016 at 8:19 am

Oh my God… Beans no way! All the beans am supposed to eat for the rest of my life, I ate in boarding school…toh…an done with beans…hiyann…lol but if it works sha…eh…I’m not trying to lose weight so no lele

12. Jojo

June 15, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Thank you Ayo. You have been so helpful. Bless your heart.