Features

LofeMide: The Time I Bought Make Up Because of Rita Dominic’s Flawless Face on a Billboard

dreamstime_m_6326704For a long time, Classic powder has comfortably occupied the space allocated to powder in my head. Every time it breaks (which is practically every month), I walk into a supermarket and pick up another one. I never consider other options or see reason to change. No, I was faithful to Classic. Until recently.

Staring at my face in the office restroom mirror at 5:00 pm one day, I asked myself ‘who would imagine I wore powder this morning’. Just like that, my commitment to Classic evaporated, quickly replaced with a desire for a new powder.

My make up artist (who has made me up the two times I ever desired proper make up in my entire life) told me a number of times that Milani would be perfect for my face. I believed him, I still do. Only that Rita Dominic looks so flawless in the Zaron billboard at the foot of third mainland bridge. No lines, no smears, no colours- such flawless beauty makes me want to look like that everyday. It somehow never registered in my head that she must have received a ‘beating for the gods’ from a ‘make up artist of life’ and that the picture assaulting me must have won at least a 100 others to make it to that position.

So the last time I walked into Blenco, I asked for Milani, then Zaron, then Milani or Zaron. Fortunately for her, the Zaron agent heard me and offered me a sample session to see what my Zaron shade will be. Whisk, whisk, flush, flush, her brush went across my face. She handed me a mirror and the image it revealed under their energy saver bulb propelled me to willingly cough out 3,500 for the powder.

I walked by the Classic shelf without sparing my long term N800 companion a second glance. It was finally over, my Zaron was in my purse, I could already see my flawless Zaron days ahead.

My people, my dreams have not survived. My expectations have been dashed. As my amateur hands applied the powder to my foundation-less face, it looked good,  but not like Rita. Two hours later when I stopped by the restroom, the mirror taunted me. It seemingly asked what happened to my face.

The powder is there but so is a shine I never used to have. Something about my image in the mirror reminded me of akara that took a long siesta is Power oil. I couldn’t deal.

Apparently, I should have researched more before buying Zaron. It’s not that Zaron is not good, my skill set just does not have room for it. Maybe it was time to move on from Classic, but the recommendation from my make up artist should have been enough for me.

And that is how life is; God, and people ahead who obviously know better, tell us what to do. No, we refuse. We look at Instagram and choose to be like the people we see there, completely unaware of the processes behind their display and the differences in our personalities, dreams, purpose and future. Your ‘skin type’ is different, what works for others might not work for you. Ask the one who made you and understands your formation, he alone has the script.

Next time you are tempted to make someone you hardly know your ‘goals’, remember the words of Solomon- It is dangerous to have zeal without knowledge.

Looks like I will have to look for Milani after all. What do you think?

Photo Credit: Luba V Nel | Dreamstime.com

Lofemide is a deep-thinker, detail-finder and word-smith‎. She is particular about details, hence her writings are mostly musings and conversations. Especially conversations with herself and her God who she loves to no end. Read more of her musings at bunmilofe.blogspot.com or tweet at her @lofemide.

1. Precious Nkeih @ Precious Core

July 21, 2016 at 9:09 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! From the beginning, I thought it was a piece solely on makeup choices. I love how you brought God into it. What a beautiful analogy!
    And oh, you are an amazing writer!

• LofeMide

July 22, 2016 at 8:46 am

Thanks Precious. God is in everything o, the silliest most minute things sef.

2. atoke is back

July 21, 2016 at 9:09 pm

word

• Chibox

July 22, 2016 at 9:42 am

Nice. Loved reading it.

• imisi owolabi

July 22, 2016 at 11:30 am

Niceeeeeeeee. Well done my darling. Your hands are indeed graced to write. The message is really timely. #myfriendship proud of you girl.

• imisi owolabi

July 22, 2016 at 11:36 am

Yaaaaaaay, great one dear. Wow, hilarious but very deep. The message is so timely. Indeed your hands are graced to write. Proud of you my love. But this powder/foundation choice is a serious matter o, lool.

3. ardnas

July 21, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Lol. Quite interesting!

4. Yewande

July 21, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Haha, funny writeup. You realize that Photoshop is involved in ads as well, so Rita’s flawlessness is not 100% zaron. Maybe you can try their mattefying powder?

Anyway you can try Milani or MAC. But all the beat-to-the-gods makeup is perfected with time and practice.

• LofeMide

July 22, 2016 at 8:45 am

Yes, photoshop! Another advantage Rita has over my everyday working girl face. Sigh.

5. Gbemmy

July 21, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Oh my! that’s an interesting read.

• LofeMide

July 22, 2016 at 8:30 am

Thanks Gbemmy

6. Lol

July 21, 2016 at 9:26 pm

?????? am sorry but this was funny. We are in the same uber my dear? everytime i see a nice flawless make up i ask what do you have on once i know i will carry my leg to the shop . I recently bought black up foundation even though a week before i bought a Clinique one anyone my skin broke out with pimples something that has never happened to me before. No more splurge on make up for me i plan to use what i already have. Expensive isn’t always quality

• Nini

July 22, 2016 at 12:00 am

I’ve been using black up for years. For black skin I think it’s one of the best, once you get your shade right. With the whole dollar rate though I might have to get a cheaper alternative and leave the black up strictly for special occasions Lol!

• Somtoo

July 22, 2016 at 8:35 am

Me too o. Blackup is so expensive now. I dont know what a great alternative will be. Who can help a sister out? Blackup, it was so great while it lasted but you are now too expensive for me. We will meet in future.

• kilipot

July 22, 2016 at 10:41 am

My dear,I feel you. I have just thought to retire my Black Up foundation for special occasions too. I have cheaper foundation that I can wear everyday.

• LofeMide

July 22, 2016 at 8:44 am

Lol, the struggle is real o. Especially for someone like me who wants a flawless face without the necessary effort.

7. Nunulicious

July 21, 2016 at 9:32 pm

I bought zaron powder once. NEVER AGAIN!

8. Bey

July 21, 2016 at 9:56 pm

You don’t have to bash Zaron, bcos it doesn’t look nice on u as u may naturally have oily skin doesn’t mean it doesn’t work well for others.
    My friend looks flawless in Iman, d day I bought Iman it was horrible on me, had a shine thruout. Also tried fashion fair which my mum has used for yrsss. It was horrible on me. Tried Mac, it works perfectly. So Iv found my home with powder(studio fix) however Mac foundation is oily on me. So I use maybelline.
    For my lip gloss, eyeliner, I use Zaron bcos it’s cheap and works well for me. Den lipstick I use Mac Ruby woo.
    It’s obvious ur a newbie to make-up. Which brand havnt I tried since my A-levels.
    We all mix and match my dear. Rita Dominic’s face may be beat by Zaron actually. It may be better with smone whose skin isn’t oily. Just as Iman isn’t for naturally oily face.
    Plus do you use oil control lotion. You need to apply dat before putting on ur foundation or powder. That is one of d secrets to long lasting make-up without shine.

• Gem

July 21, 2016 at 10:28 pm

“Apparently,I should have researched more before buying
      Zaron. It’s not that Zaron is not good, my skill set just does
      not have room for it. Maybe it was time to move on from
      Classic, but the recommendation from my make up artist
      should have been enough for me.”
      The writer was not bashing Zaron. The post wasn’t just about the make up… It was linking that experience with being cautious and not think what worked for Julia would work for Laura.
      By the way ‘Mide…Awesome way of passing your message. Great read

• LofeMide

July 22, 2016 at 8:28 am

Thanks Gem, you totally understood the point I was trying to make.

• funmi oguns

July 21, 2016 at 11:13 pm

@Bey pls which oil control lotion can u recomend for me. Whatapp number 08112471889

• Bey

July 21, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Buy Mac oil control lotion. Dats what I use use, u can buy from MAC palms.
      Then I use white powder untop of d oil control lotion before applying studio fix(powder) so d make-up can set and stay longer.
      They say BMPro’s is also good but Iv never tried it.

• LofeMide

July 22, 2016 at 8:29 am

Woah, I should pay you for the make up advice, thanks for being so generous. Will try out the tips and probably get back to you. And no, I do not think Zaron is a bad product, I think my make up skills are terribly bad.

• BlackUp

July 22, 2016 at 6:16 pm

I use creme de la mer. I don’t use any foundation. It makes my face shine a bit, especially in the heat. But it is the most youthful thing out there, and its moisturizing power is pretty amazing. I am too lazy to wash my face every night, have always been. So all these Zaron and Black Up are strange names to me. Happy to have a lazy-person’s option, but fascinatied by all your comments 🙂

9. Baby gurl

July 21, 2016 at 11:04 pm

I would read your novel, LofeMide, no one writer has held my short attention span to the end this good. You are literally my spirit animal lol as I overanalyze the littlest details in this beautiful brain of mine . I agree with you anyways, I believe for most of us humans God has called some people to eat apple but no,they want to eat the pear that Lagbaja in the corner is swooning over. Thanks for this!
    And dear fellow BNers this writeup is not about Zaron Cosmetics. Think deeper, don’t be lazy.

• LofeMide

July 22, 2016 at 8:27 am

Awww, thanks Baby gurl. You are very kind with words.

10. AISHA

July 22, 2016 at 12:54 am

I love your name, Lofemide!
    I may give my daughter that name someday.

• LofeMide

July 22, 2016 at 8:25 am

Awww, thanks Aisha. I totally love the name too, it means ‘Freely I have come’ and I look forward to meeting your daughter some day.

11. Mz_Danielz

July 22, 2016 at 1:11 am

Lovely and hilarious. I like.

Thought about something else though, the brand names being mentioned like some sort of free advert. This is partly why Nollywood struggles for sponsors cos brands appear in the movies for free; cola bottle, etc. I’m telling you that if there is no unpaid brand presence, brands will begging them for placement. It is well

• LofeMide

July 22, 2016 at 8:26 am

@Mz_Danielz, I totally agree with you. the thought danced on my mind as the words poured out- too much unpaid publicity for brands.

12. ty

July 22, 2016 at 2:51 am

The analogy is great and truly makeup is the attention catcher. What is good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander. Classic and Milan are still the best makeup products for black and red toned skins.

13. Chinma Eke

July 22, 2016 at 8:19 am

Nice article! Love how you tied it in to God and the choices we make along life’s path.

14. Ms Lily

July 22, 2016 at 8:24 am

Let me not lie, i bought Zaron Powder because of Rita Dominic flawless make up. I have been using it for a month now and it’s not bad, Kinda like it. I have tried Maybeline which is also a nice product, i tried using milani because i always like it on dark skin people but i never find my shade. I have used Iman, don’t think i will ever buy it again because of my oily skin. I have tried sleek too. The thing with make up is, we just keep trying diff products until we find the one that suits our skin.

15. AANUOLUWAPO OYEDELE

July 22, 2016 at 8:52 am

Zaron is nice and i enjoyed it when i use it but Ailin is perfect for me

16. blueivy

July 22, 2016 at 8:57 am

had to patronize Zaron becos of Rita’s flawless face on billboards. but was i disappointed?……………….absolutely yes

17. Ezinne Osuagwu

July 22, 2016 at 9:59 am

nne that was my story too o. I bought mine because of the billboard, I got the cream to powder foundation. It provides zero coverage. If i put my hand on my nose, a dent appears. I swipe my hair off my face, a dent appears. I tried my friends milani and it sits perfectly on my face. So I’ll just give it out, Can’t shout

18. Left Hand Bionic

July 22, 2016 at 10:11 am

nice write up…. i’ve had my fair share of experience with these powders and foundations… MAC foundation and creme to powder foundation is just too oily for me, FM Powder is fine, Classic is okay, IMAN…too oily, I Love Mary Kay matte foundation but my face gets oily after and hour. you know what works for me with oil control? Mary Kay Primer first on my face then Milk of Magnesia before applying my Mary Kay Foundation. i can swear by it, i get at least 5hours oil free face and no darkening of the face, acne or pimples breakout.

19. Abigail Zambia

July 22, 2016 at 11:34 am

I must confess i have this weird habit of jumping writings because of their width or depth but today i have read from A-Z you must be an angel writer so beautiful.

20. jelly_jes

July 22, 2016 at 1:08 pm

hehehehe….. hilarious piece!

21. teesha

July 22, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Really nice article Lofemide, I’ve always enjoyed your article. Buying the right foundation and powder for your skin type is something you have to keep trying till you get the right one. @ Bey, thanks for the tips, will certainly look into it.

22. UGO

July 22, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Really really nice witty write up. Good one girl .

23. bisi sexy

July 22, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Wat every one wants to say but is afraid to say it, was wondering which day nigerian gals in Nigeria will talk abt affordable or cheap powder some are from china but are nicr like kiss beauty some times I see some gals that ask me money for transport their faces are talking but I always say to my self if u ask them now, dey will lie,so ur face wont b fine like deirs or u wont win d guy dey are dyeing for anuoluwapo oyedele pls tell me the aileen powder ur talking abt my watsapp no 08077405506 is it the ailin in a yellow plastic box? My hair dresser gave me a 700 naira foundation its waow

24. bisi sexy

July 22, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Was in a hurry so typo errors, nicr means nice, transport fare, dying for

25. girlwithalbinorelatives

July 22, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Hi Lofemide,

Nice write up . I know this has been said before, but I think the article could have been written without mentioning brand names (say brand A or something) and the message would have still been passed across very well. Seems to me like some brands might get bad publicity from this and I know that was not your intention. My thoughts sha.

26. Allie

July 22, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Love your writeup and the message in It! Nice one. Blenco you say? We might actually be neighbors oh

27. Tomi

July 22, 2016 at 6:44 pm

You should try the products in Maudebox, hopefully you find products that match your skin type.

28. amaka

July 22, 2016 at 7:33 pm

It’s all about Milani… I recently bought Milani, nothing spectacular, but it does the job and its cheaper than Iman…

29. Anonymous

July 22, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Lofemide, even if the focus of your write up wasn’t about ZAron, you have used this write up to smear the image of the products… It’s not about what your intention is, it’s about the effect of what it has on people…

30. Isi nne mummy!

August 18, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Ok! Truth in your supposed ‘honesty’ you take style spoil Zaron market BUT i totally loved this piece as i laughed really hard.

I particularly loved how you brought God in. Nice Piece!