Features

Nkem Ndem: Americanah Boys & the Politics of Picking Up the Tab

Nkem Ndem

Nkem NdemThe first time I heard the word “Americanah” was certainly not when I read Chimamanda Adichie’s book , Americanah. I grew up in Aba, Abia State and attended a sort of American international high school (D.I.S.S) and for some reason, a lot of my mates from other schools who attended my church (L.W.M) never ceased to turn up their stinky noses at me every chance they got. He claimed that I liked to form “Americanah” when I talked. Their actual beef being that I did not have the Ibo accent they all struggled with. I remember the word always got me irritated back then… and even now, as I am forced to remember it, I am still not sure if it is derogatory, or just a unique adjective to describe a person who is so westernised (Americanized) that they now lack the discipline and zeal to abide by cultural values or meet the expectations of their ethnic group or even nationality.

By and large, I like to believe that despite the strong arm of civilization and the resilient influence of western media, there are certain practices that we Nigerians cannot adopt because it cannot just work here. Like, even if you have lived years abroad and you have come to see it as some sort of norm, you do not hesitate to drop them at the border before entry to the country. One of such practices, though not entirely severe, is that of the guys letting the ladies or a lady pick up the tab…in a group hang out. I mean, Nigerian men have a bit of pride, no matter what. Even the gold digging men take money from their victims before the outing and pay for stuff when they get there, just to save face. But then, Americanah Nigerian men seem to be a detour.

Two weeks ago, my friend IJ (an Americanah Nigerian currently in Kenya for work) who was visiting Nigeria for the weekend, graciously bought 7 front row tickets to the African Fashion Week Nigeria (AFWN) at NGN 20,000 each for some of her friends, and yours truly. It was her own way of investing in Nigeria. We got to the show about 25 minutes late and were told the front row was filled. We had to seat in the back rows (NGN3,000) for the rest of the show. Note that there was no caveat on the ticket stating that lateness would entail a forfeit of seat paid for. Of course, IJ was not having it and asked for a refund; either a full refund, or at least reimbursement of the NGN17,000 gap per ticket.
The ticket girl, typical Nigerian, went to call her madam, a lady they referred to as “Aunty Ronke” to come and sort us out. Before the Madam came out though, some rude girl who we now refer to as “Fake Dami from the UK” as she put on a British accent and kept saying “I live in the UK” each time she took a breath, came and started shouting, asking us to either take the seats or leave, and we had to decide quickly else she would call security, that we were trying to make a scene. On top of our NGN140,000! And in this time of austerity?! Hian. I was ready to toss my wig in the air and bite her ear off, but… I’m a shortie and since she was like 7 feet taller than me with very glaring muscle tones, I figured it would not be a wise move at all.

Finally, the “Aunty Ronke”, who I immediately thought very pretty, came out. But from the way she talked, I could see that she was not going to let the money go, in fact, I could tell the NGN140,000 was probably the only profit they made from the entire show. As she walked out on us (in her defense, one of IJ’s friends got so pissed she threw her front row ticket in Aunty Ronke’s direction), I went to IJ and asked her to let it all go. IJ was so upset; she vehemently vowed never to invest in Nigeria or even visit anymore. Of course, we all could relate to her pain, and so to make her feel better, we all ditched the event and headed for a “girls night” at Maison Fahrenheit just opposite the Eko Hotel where the show was held.

Maison Fahrenheit was a bit slow, but we ordered our platters anyway. Just as the food was served, two of IJ’s male Americanah friends arrived and joined us. In my mind, I was like “great! Maybe these guys will take IJ’s tab and she will feel better”. After the meal, one of the guys asked for shish, while the other ordered whiskey; but when it was time to settle the bill, one of the “boys” went to the toilet, while the other took a long call. These guys were aware of our earlier situation with the AFWN but apparently, they were unwilling to be gentlemen. The girls were left with the bill. To my amazement, as soon as it was settled, the one that went to the toilet came back and suggested we hit another club. I quickly suggested it was late and since we were not driving, we should head back to Four Points where IJ was lodged and call it a night. Sadly, the Shisha guy countered me and said: “come on, y’all just need to call an Uber”. IJ, keen to party, promptly called two Uber cars so we can all fit. Yes! these men and their American accents squeezed into the Uber with us oh.

From Maison Fahrenheit, we went to Soul Lounge. From Soul lounge to Sip, then to 57 and all through the night, these men never brought out a farthing to pay for anything, or at least pay for what they had. I was mega astonished. These were guys with good jobs and a wealth of life experience! While we were at 57, I saw the Shisha guy actually bring out a wad of one thousand Naira notes, count them and put them back in his pocket, like he wanted to be sure he had not spent a dime. Really?

In what part of Nigeria is this okay? This has nothing to do with sexism, feminism or any of the “-ism”s; it is more of a chivalry thing. If the girl had invited them out, it would be a different case.
As a rule of thumb in Nigeria, the guys in a group hang take the bill – Americanah or not, or am I deluded? Please share your thoughts in the comment section below.

Nkem Ndem is an energetic and highly accomplished Media Consultant who loves to help small businesses, especially women-led, grow their online presence using the right digital strategy or transition from traditional organizational boundaries. With years of experience in Copywriting and Editing, Content Branding and Strategy, Social media, and Digital Marketing, she is clearly obsessed with Digital Communications. She is the Head of Content and Lead Consultant at Black Ink Media - an Ideation and Content Agency that excels in providing fresh, creative digital services to content-centric businesses. Find out more about her at www.blackinkm.com or send her an e-mail at [email protected] Also follow her on IG: @nkemndemv, Twitter: @ndemv.

1. ChiDeraH

July 14, 2016 at 7:16 pm

…even if they won’t pick the tab they could at least pay for their own nah, these ur own Americanhs are strange o

• haha

July 14, 2016 at 11:09 pm

Those guys are legends and they deserve a medal. Haha.

• damilola

July 15, 2016 at 5:19 pm

This thing shouldn’t be this complicated. It’s simple, pay for yourself or contribute one way or the other towards the group bill. Unless, there’s an agreement where the other person offered to cover your expenses.
      However, Nigerians in general have freeloader mentality. Younger Nigerian women just expect men to do everything for them, so they can keep/save their own money. This is on top of them forming posh, miss independent and their disdain for freeloading yet they are guilty of same accusation. What makes you think the man’s job is to be spending his money on you? They have no idea what kind of pressure, and high expectation they put on men. It’s quite unrealistic and unfair sometimes. You like good things, you want to be big madam but want another person to do the main sweating. If you want to be forming, do it on your own money. Don’t be selfish, leave the man out of it.
      What this men did, many naija girls do it to men all the time unapologetic with insult calling the man cheap and stingy. Do you see how it feels now when it’s the other way around.
      I don’t condone the men’s behavior in this situation but nigerian women are guilty of this.
      Honestly, most men are quite simple when it comes to paying. If the woman is not forming too much, considerate and not extra demanding. Men are willing to pay and even go extra miles.

2. Chai

July 14, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Oh my word, reading comments is gon’ be fun!

3. Bodunade

July 14, 2016 at 7:20 pm

“While we were at 57, I saw the Shisha guy actually bring out a wad of one thousand Naira notes, count them and put them back in his pocket, like he wanted to be sure he had not spent a dime. Really?”

Hilarious, that got me. Men have evolved!! ???

4. bruno

July 14, 2016 at 7:23 pm

typical nigerian babe with a stingy mentality. thats the problem with u nigerian feminists. very 2 faced

its okay for a woman to spend a man’s money senseless but when a man does the same to a woman they start complaining and start calling the man a gold digger etc

nkem or what ever u call ur self u spent the first half of this ur article bosting and bragging, claiming posh. i can bet u are a local champion.looking at u, u are basic. u look basic u sound basic.

Secondly, turn the tables around, lets assume ur friend from abroad was a man and two babes latched on to him and spent his money that nite, will u write this ur useless article. the answer is NO.

all u so called nigerian feminists I cant take u people seriously. man and woman are equal but when its time to pay, it is the man’s job. when its time to work, its the man’s job.

im happy those two guys chopped ur female friend’s money. nigerian guys I advice u to start chopping girls money too. if possible come with ur guys, u and ur guys should chop her salary well well. gender equality.

Nkem Ndem

July 14, 2016 at 7:31 pm

@ Bruno, I must applaud your devoutness in reading..and commenting on my articles. Thank You. 🙂

• King Bae

July 14, 2016 at 7:41 pm

@Bruno that’s not the point… it’s just common courtesy and common sense. They should have been gentlemen towards the ladies. And you wonder why some girls don’t pity you guys… please don’t start!!!

• Darlingheart

July 15, 2016 at 4:09 pm

@King Bae, was she forced to pay the bail, abi dey jazz em? I don’t think its an issue of being a gentleman or not. Clearly she had no issue paying the bill. If she didn’t want to, she wouldn’t have. chikena.

• James

July 14, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Bruno,
      Are you out of your mind. If anything, they should have at least paid for what they consumed. Nkem, I’ve had issues with some of your writings in the past, but this is not one of them. This guys were clearly out to have a good time on someone else’ expense. Your friend should have been bold enough to demand they pay for what they consumed in front of everyone. Believe me, they would have coughed up the money. People like that need to be embarrassed.

This is not peculiar to guys in America. When you go out in a group, you pay for what you consumed when the bill is brought. What you had were leaches, low lives, no good for nothing men.

• LemmeRant

July 14, 2016 at 9:52 pm

If you go out with a guy. do you pay for what you consume?

• Bodunade

July 14, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Bruno, Smh at the tone of your comment but you use style make sense.

• Random

July 14, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Trust Bruno to support free loader losers…..it would’ve been the full moon if he had said otherwise.
      Ladies, respect yourselves and know the truth that many men especially of Naija heritage tend to spend on a woman they have some vested interest in….or have the hope of “receiving” from. Manners and chivalry aren’t for free….except it’s your relative or big brother, a randomly great day ( promotion) or maybe a show off….there is usually a self driven motive for most Naija men to spend on a woman…..the selfless tab pickers aren’t the norm.

They didn’t even offer to go Dutch the Americanah way…..sharp and shameless guys lol.

• CHEEK

July 14, 2016 at 8:44 pm

BRUNO YOU DEY VEX??? YOU SOUND LIKE SOME THOT JUST SHOWED YOU PEPPER, AND YOU’RE ACTING IT OUT ON POOR NKEM.

PLS STOP LICKING YOUR WOUND ON SOCIAL MEDIA. GO TO A CORNER OF YOUR ROOM AND CRY………..THEN COME BACK ON BELLA NAIJA

• Shaya

July 15, 2016 at 8:41 am

Nope. Men and women are not equal. You want a woman to bear your children, cook ur meals, basically slave away and still contribute to the rent. Tufia! Men of this generation always looking for super sugarmamas. Every one play ur God given roles, why is it when it gets to finances, the male species scream feminism. Please google the true definition of feminism. The difference between ij and friend, with me and my friends is that bill will have been split from the onset, and this will be announced even before the bill comes. Rubbish cause at the end of the day, one unassuming now nkechi will still chop that saved money as Brazilian hair fee

5. AMERICAN(NO AH)

July 14, 2016 at 7:24 pm

If people are invited out, initial logic should be everybody settles their own tab, having a great job or living in a foreign country doesn’t make it unbecoming of you to “arrange” yourself and not others. You should have asked the waiter to split the check, let everybody pay for their meal and if you decided to pick someone else’s tab then that was fine too, colloquially put “let everybody answer their fathers name”.

• Ides of March

July 14, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Exactly, separate bills mehn!

• Somtoo

July 15, 2016 at 9:09 am

IJ paid for Nkem them na. Nkem herself was free loading…hahahaha. This your IJ friend e be like say she dey do charity work for una. lmao. How do women feel comfortable letting a friend, not even a relative spend so much on you? Dont you feel like a thief? hahahaha.

As for those guys, i do not actually have a problem with them, You said they are IJ’s friends so it is apparent they are used to her taking care of the bill when they hang out.

Inshort all of una be thief. Ij. the Lord is your strength. I hope you are saving your money not spending it on all these your thief thief friends. hahahahahah

6. Mide

July 14, 2016 at 7:30 pm

This has nothing to do with been fake(Americana) this is a case of two cheap skate trying to leave off a successful lady.

7. Meeeee

July 14, 2016 at 7:48 pm

I’m sorry oh, but please what was wrong with you girls chipping in to help her with the bill? Y’all were basically sponging off her and you are only complaining coz those two were guys.

• Cindy

July 14, 2016 at 9:02 pm

I loved your comment but let me also chip in what I got from the post. Apparently, her americannah friend wanted a girls’ night out with the intention of paying. It’s not the same thing as the guys who joined them and decided to leech. I feel Nkem and the others should have assisted her with the bills too to make their friend feel better but maybe they didn’t go prepared. I personally don’t go loaded when a girlfriend asks me out. I mean we’re platonic na, no need for vex money.

8. Spunky

July 14, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Lol! Lol again…I lost my tongue. Ok, the guys just wanna have fun too…

9. beauty

July 14, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Lol, laughed all through! Some guys can be stingy ehn, gosh. It’s so irritating. Agbaya anericanah chewing gum boys!

10. Sir_Kelvin

July 14, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Smh…. who says the guys always have to pay… by the way, did your friend complain?? I’m sure she didn’t. You know why? Cause she thinks differently. That’s the difference between you and her.

11. Tunmi

July 14, 2016 at 7:58 pm

So the guys didn’t pay for what they consumed?????

Expecting someone else to pay for you simply because they have a penis is too much. Just pay for what you consume. If anyone wants to treat, then it’s a treat not a gender mandate

12. nunulicious

July 14, 2016 at 8:02 pm

The preamble about what happened at the event to your friend doesn’t really concern the guys to be honest.

But from the moment they joined y’all in the uber…Aint nobody got time for that!
    Whaaaat? you mean the guys free loaded at all the clubs you went including the uber ride and you ALLOWED it?! you gotta be kidding. Especially seeing that they pushed for you to go to the clubs?
    I would have called them out in such a way they would either pick up the entire tab or pay part of it or take a walk!

Then again, maybe they are your junior boys.

13. Weezy

July 14, 2016 at 8:04 pm

This post is seriously all over the place. Only 30% of the article was relevant to the title. Everything else is just name-dropping and showing how you are, complete with costs of items (because we must know about the N140,000). Was all the name dropping necessary?

Meanwhile, does your friend not have mouth? If somborri no wan pay, she for yap am now. Why is she looking like mumu and paying for ALL you freeloaders, women included.

I’m glad I read this sha. Now I know what certain corners of society expect. If you have a good job, they expect you to spend money like water. As if you owe them entertainment.

• Weezy

July 14, 2016 at 8:06 pm

** how posh you are.

• Brillantmont.

July 15, 2016 at 7:27 am

@Weezy, one of us has to re-define their understanding of poshness, or, what it means to actually be posh. And, it’s certainly not me.

14. Angie

July 14, 2016 at 8:22 pm

The guys did not try at all! They should have chipped in a bit at least. It has happened to me before, I really wanted to have a good time. So I went out with my friends. They didn’t pay for anything. Honestly I wasn’t vexed, I was just shocked they didn’t offer to pay for anything. Even water.

15. Adeniyi Ogunfowoke

July 14, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Are u saying Nigerian men are more gentlemanly than the Americanah once? Anyways, God will help them do it to a typical naija babe, dem go watch play tire.

16. Adaure

July 14, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Bruno, you are just BASIC!!! Whatever that meant that u had to keep using it over and over again. What’s with the hating? Abii are you one of the guys or a family member? You make me laugh. Its common courtesy for pete’s sake. No body asked them guys to pick up the whole tab. At least, offering to even share wouldn’t have been a bad idea. Stingy koko.com is what i have diagnosed as what those two guys are suffering form. And from the looks of it, i think you have that trait in you as well. Reall? encouraging men to eat women’s cash without blinking???? Abeg, goan hide your face.

17. Bodunade

July 14, 2016 at 8:31 pm

@Random, Yelz, Bruno crossed the line by calling her basic and all the negative whatever but don’t get it twisted. THEY WERE ALL FREELOADERS. Nkem is just very pissed because they have penises!
    Are they really different from the guys? They made zero contribution. Hian!!

• CurvesAndEdges

July 14, 2016 at 9:28 pm

I don’t think there’s anywhere in the article that the author says it was only one person who picked the tab for the evening (post the fashion week event).

18. Lucinda

July 14, 2016 at 8:31 pm

I don’t even understand.. why did you not speak up? Or.. your friend settled y’all’s tabs too? If yes, why are you complaining, since you didn’t contribute to the bills? Why did your friend not speak up?
    On splitting bills: If I (as a female) ask a guy out, I could pick up the bills or split. If we’re platonic friends, highest is to split. But if you’re a toaster, you will settle in full. Those guys were supposed to have contributed something. I would have collected their share of the bill before they entered that uber with me. By asking pleasantly or by force.

19. Nkem Ndem

Nkem Ndem

July 14, 2016 at 8:50 pm

@Meeee @Bodunade @Lucinda Key Phrase “The girls were left with the bill.”. IJ did not cater to 9 people’s bills for the entire night. The guys were the ones who did not cater to their bills and IJ took it by proxy as they were her friends. And again, she may not have spoken up that night, but she certainly wanted this article published.

• nwanyi na aga aga

July 15, 2016 at 11:57 am

Nkem dis your story annoyed me in two parts. One where you said your sec school mates were all struggling with Igbo accents like it was a bad habit or an addiction. its a terrible mentality. Having an Igbo accent is not a bad habit, or evil thing and certainly not a struggle.
      Secondly, Ij o dalu ogbi? ( i will not translate this). How can she pay for people she didn’t invite to the club? What happened to you guys telling the waiter/ress to bring the bills separately, Keep the guys part when they come from whatever pilgrimage they are on, they will pick up their bills? Abi you people were speaking English with shrill voices,heavily accented albeit of foreign origin, trying so hard not to reveal that you are Igbo people lest heavens fall. O di nma.

• Andy

July 16, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Biko, your comment was on point!

• Anonymous

July 16, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Don’t mind her. she is just a self hating silly girl with no identity.

20. Rose

July 14, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Lmaoooo….Na Una do urself….emmm Biko my own I will just say please split the bill I pay mine…and be looking at everyone else…. Na Una dey form too much money….

21. CurvesAndEdges

July 14, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Well Nkem, your friend IJ implicitly told the guys it was okay when she called the Ubers in their presence and allowed them ride with you, despite the fact that they didnt pay for their food. Plus, she probably did not really care who paid or who didn’t.

22. Chi

July 14, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Bottom line the boys are f- boys , just like Bruno.

Bruno I always see you commenting negatively , I take it you don’t have a job.

No responsible man with sense will do with these boys did. And I live in HOUSTON , at this point “Americanah” or “Nigerian” f- boys will be f- boys. They have no shame these days. Some girls don’t either.

As for myself I don’t go anywhere if I don’t have money , pssshhhh you are not about to embarrass me. And I’ve never minded spending money on my man, vice versa.

23. mike

July 14, 2016 at 9:57 pm

You grew up in Aba, yet you spell “Igbo” as “Ibo” what nonsense is that? I guess you still dey form “Americanah” for yourself.

• Mr. Egghead

July 14, 2016 at 11:41 pm

@mike, your head dey dia!!

I fall into the doldrums of disconsolation when somebody whose name is ‘Nkem’ and who (allegedly) grew up in Aba can’t seem make to appreciate the distinction between ‘IGBO’ and ‘IBO’
      ??

• Ifeoma

July 15, 2016 at 12:01 am

LOL. Can you really blame her?is she even really Igbo? Her mother is Cameroonian and she cannot even speak the language sef. Stinky nose silly girl. KMT.

• Hian

July 15, 2016 at 10:31 pm

It’s not only doldrums. LOL

24. el patron

July 14, 2016 at 10:03 pm

funny article..i trust my boys one on one we will pay,
    but don’t bring all your friends that’s where there might be a problem.
    i remember back in school, my boy went on a blind date with these chick and she brought like 3 of her friends..and my boy panicked trying to save face he kept texting me bro come, don’t put me to shame.
    he took care of the tab and he’s big boy status still remained intact.
    I just feel like these things happen in life.
    its fine, you just writing because you know typical naija boy will pay for everybody or atleast himself since hes not trying to smash anybody in the group.

25. Chisom Owoseni

July 14, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Hmmmmm, there’s actually nothing wrong with ladies paying bills but if the Americanahs (guys) are not invited then, they should pay the bills.

• Bimsee

July 14, 2016 at 11:10 pm

They were invited naaa . Truth be told IJ ain’t complaining so what’s the fuss from Nkem?

26. Peterslord

July 14, 2016 at 11:47 pm

I blame your friend for this big insult she later received. She started the show off and her wolves friends capitalised on it. I guess the shameless guys knew her person better than you girls who got irritated by their demeanour. Anyway, sorry for the expenses incurred by you as a result of your friend’s negligence . There is life after xmas.

27. Not ignorant Just learning

July 15, 2016 at 12:12 am

So there is uber in Nigeria. Jolly good

28. BijouxthisBijouxthat

July 15, 2016 at 12:59 am

Bella I wanted to reply Ifeoma at 12:01am but she doesn’t have a reply button , why?
    Anyways Ifeoma you are faceless hater! Never called someone here that because I think it’s a overused expression but for you, totally deserved!
    Her mother is Cameroonian, so?
    Means you know her personally but can’t say to her face what you spewed up there… Triple shame on you! That’s why you would be where you are and an Internet troll or a frenemy….
    I am vexed paa….

• Chai

July 15, 2016 at 8:04 am

@Bijoux: It’s because Ifeoma’s comment was a reply to an earlier one, and BellaNaija commenting system is not currently set up to allow second-level replies (I hope this makes some sense). For e.g., no one else will be able to comment on this thread after me. Hope it helps.
      Signed,
      An Avid BN Comment Reader 🙂

• Chai

July 15, 2016 at 8:06 am

Shet! I don’ fall my hand! 🙁

• "changing moniker"

July 17, 2016 at 2:32 am

You’re kinda right @chai. It’s just that you can’t comment or reply to a reply of an initial comment. basically you can’t reply a reply.

29. Chi

July 15, 2016 at 1:39 am

Agree 100% with Bruno , the truth hurts

30. Duchess Maria

July 15, 2016 at 4:25 am

@Ifeoma, you are obviously one very bitter rancid specimen. I dont even know Nkem but your comment truly pissed me off. Hater oshi.

31. Corolla

July 15, 2016 at 4:31 am

I don’t expect the guys to pick up the tab for the girls. Abegi, everyone knows their own financial struggle, so why pick up the tab for random girls? However, they should have paid for their own meal/drink, instead of disappearing when the bill came. That’s just lame!

32. No refund?

July 15, 2016 at 4:42 am

I’m still at the part where they didn’t refund the money all 140k?

• Pipi

July 16, 2016 at 7:07 am

I also can get over that part! What nonsense! The organizers of should be called out, I done get it u sell a seat twice and don’t refund… That’s criminal abi was spirit seating in those seats! Nkomo you should have separated this topic oh!

• "changing moniker"

July 17, 2016 at 2:37 am

That’s what this article should have been about…not how reckless IJ is in these times of austerity. Biko, if she’s not a politician daughter, advice your friend to spend less, save more….100s of thousand gone in one night? Nawa.

• "changing moniker"

July 17, 2016 at 2:38 am

*politician’s

33. frank

July 15, 2016 at 5:30 am

I thought women want equal rights as men. So pick up the tabs sometimes.

34. Hian

July 15, 2016 at 8:22 am

“The men and their American accents squeezed into the Uber with us” LMAO!!!! This girl you are not okay!

35. Sisi

July 15, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Abi o jare, all of this is story. Whether male or female it seems all of you on this excursion went to enjoy yourself at the expense of someone else. O ga o. This behaviour is not ok whether male or female unless the spender is Dangote’s son etc.

36. Tru

July 15, 2016 at 4:57 pm

To me, Nkem doesn’t come across as showing off. She’s simply laying a framework so we can get where she’s coming from.
    Usually when friends are together and they ALL decide to hang out (not like one person calling up others and saying Come Hang Out With Me), then they are ALL obliged to split the bill or at least chip in. That’s simple courtesy. Perhaps IJ was the one who asked them to come out, so they felt they didn’t need to. It would have been nice for them to at least have offered to contribute.

37. Onyie

July 15, 2016 at 10:02 pm

This is why we can’t leave as one in this country when even the igbos/ibos discriminate amongst themselves. I’m proudly ibo and i can’t speak the language – that doesn’t make me less ibo dear ifeoma, mike and mr. egghead.

Rude buffoons the lot of you.

• ElessarisElendil

July 16, 2016 at 1:54 am

How would you like if I called you Oyie??? Its Igbo because the people call themselves Igbo, the colonial masters called them ibo and of course ibo=marijuana.

Often those who use ibo use it as a pejorative. So yes caliing an Igbo ibo does make you less Igbo. My unasked advice be more Igbo.

38. Hian

July 15, 2016 at 10:30 pm

@Ifeoma, you are a very bitter somebody. I just hope you are not Nkem’s friend but a beefer who knows her from afar. You are obviously jealous of her and it has consumed you. Haba. Why give us her background? What does it matter anyway? How has your comment made your life better now? Ode.

39. Dami

July 15, 2016 at 10:34 pm

I saw my name in this article, but i’m certainly not the fake Dami. Kai! So those people did not refund even 1 Kobo??? All these substandard shows, so unfair! This is why people do not invest in this country. You guys should not have left Eko hotel, I tell you. Operation burn everything down. Nonsense.

40. Nigeria Business Review

July 16, 2016 at 1:29 am

Nigeriabusinessreview.wordpress.com

Nigerian businesses. How does someone pay money and not get what they paid for? And no refund was offered? Smdh

41. wendy

July 16, 2016 at 10:02 am

shut! are u sure dis are men ?like real men!!
    come to think of it American knew Wat they were doing by going dutch