Features

Gidi in Heels with ‘Layemi: 7 Life Lessons From Game of Thrones

'Layemi Olusoga

67th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards - Press RoomSo if you are into HBO’s hit TV show, Game of Thrones like me, you may have learnt one or two valuable lessons on business and life.

Here are some of the insights I have gotten so far, from the rather intriguing characters.

Success cannot be an “option”
Cersei Lannister: “When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground”.

This is my favourite quote in the entire series.

Most successful people were deliberate about the results they wanted in life. This influenced their choices, habits and network. Success is hardly ever “stumbled upon”. You have to participate in your success story and take full responsibility for it. Talking and dreaming won’t take you far if they are not backed up with action.

This reminds me of the classic Yoda quote “Do or do not, there is no try”.

Never underestimate anyone
Daenerys Targaryen:” I am no ordinary woman. My dreams come true.”

Even though she is the youngest and most inexperienced contender for the iron throne, one cannot help but admire this young lady’s resilience and confidence. She was initially underestimated but now she has an army, ships and three dragons! Can’t wait to see what she does with them in season 7.

Own your imperfections
Tyrion Lannister: “Once you’ve accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.”

Embrace your imperfections. Never let them limit you or make you feel inferior.

There is power in a good name
Ned Stark: “You think my life is such a precious thing to me, that I would trade my honor for a few more years… of what?”

Even though Ned Stark was so honourable that he couldn’t make it past Season 1, his name continues to open doors for his children. He left a legacy behind that continues to favour his household….afterall, “The North remembers”.

Talk is cheap
Tywin Lannister: “Any man who must say ‘I am the King’ is no true king”.

Less talking…more doing. Always let your results speak for you.

Always pay your debt
A Lannister always pays his debt” – Tyrion Lannister

You may not be a Lannister but you should always pay your debt because it is just the right thing to do!

Never let them see you coming
Cersei Lannister…Season 6, Episode 10!!! Need I say more???

What is the most valuable lesson you have learnt from Game of Thrones?

Photo Credit: Getty Images | Jason LaVeris

Layemi is a career woman, a writer and a relentless dreamer. She is an eternal optimist, hopeless romantic and an advocate for equity. She wants to be remembered for impacting the world and inspiring billions through her writing which she hopes will someday earn her a Nobel Prize in Literature. She occasionally tweets with the handle @luola12

1. ajibobo

August 3, 2016 at 5:57 pm

I have learnt to keep my name-” the boy has no name”

2. Niyoola

August 3, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Chaos is a ladder. – Petyr Baelish…… aka LittleFinger.

I love some of the Noble houses themes/motto. Shows their character,ethics and ‘badass-ery’.
    Martell: Unbent, Unbroken, Unconquered
    Targaryen: Fire & Blood (straight to the point)

3. ehis

August 3, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Every one of us is poor and powerless but together we can overthrow an empire.
    High Sparrow

Message for the bowed, bent and broken Nigerians

4. ehis

August 3, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Aah, The powerful have always preyed on the powerless, that’s how they became powerful in the first place.
    Tyrion

5. Engoz

August 3, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Brilliant!

6. fob

August 3, 2016 at 8:02 pm

I loved this!!!

7. Hmm

August 3, 2016 at 8:46 pm

E b like say na only me never watch this game of thrones something

• Ayi

August 3, 2016 at 10:03 pm

My dear not only you oo.me too I haven’t watched a single episode

• Tutu

August 3, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Shame! Shame!! Shame!!! Shame!!! Shame!!! Shame!!! Shame!!! Shame!!! Shame!!! :p

• Hmmm

August 3, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Gloryyyyyy ??

• Tosin

August 4, 2016 at 6:01 am

Meee tooo

8. Ariere

August 3, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Some Wise words from Some of the The Game of Thrones Characters:

Ned Stark: The truth does not save you always and may lead to your demise. Act smart and do not underestimate anything in life.

Petyr Baelish: Being guile and street-smart is essential to reach to the top.

Varys: Knowledge is Power

Jaime: Pride can destroy you and when you lose everything you hold dear you are free to do anything (Also taught in the movie Fight Club)

Theon: Dishonesty can be punishing to a large extent. A very large extent.

Jon: Its ok to break your vows if it helps someone. In other words its ok to lie and be dishonest if it is for the greater good.

Arya: ‘Fortune favours the brave’. To survive in this cruel world you have to be lucky.

Tyrion: ‘A very small man can cast a very large shadow’. Size is just a statistic. Never judge a book by its cover.

“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

“Can a man still be brave if he’s afraid?”
    “That is the only time a man can be brave.” ~ Bran and Ned

9. Jarret

August 3, 2016 at 10:54 pm

The most Important Life lesson of Game of Thrones is that Anyone and EVERYONE can die. One minute, you think you’re the protagonist of your life, the next minute, you’re dead! One minute, you’re King of North, next minute, DEAD! One minute your son is getting married, next minute, blood everywhere.

There’s no plot, no truth, no morals, no good or evil, just Self preservation and interests.

• Zikky

August 3, 2016 at 11:03 pm

???????? and indeed you have just proven how two people can watch the same thing and come out with totally different interpretations. Everyone else above talked about the positive lessons and here you come talking about dead, dead dead. There is a poignant lesson still in your comment though; self preservation n interest.

10. Niyoola

August 4, 2016 at 12:01 am

How could I forget, my favourite Valyrian words :
    Valar Morghulis AND Dracarys

Not related to the post, I know ….. I just love them words mehn.

11. nunulicious

August 4, 2016 at 2:06 am

So this is how they spell the names of the characters! lesson learnt

12. Smh

August 4, 2016 at 4:37 am

Mayb i will just decide to watch this thing where can i watch season 1 episode 1

13. Chinenye

August 4, 2016 at 11:29 am

o2tvseries.com

14. Faxie

August 4, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Valar Morghulis : all men must die – by the No face god

A mind needs books, like a sword needs a whetstone – by Tyrion Lannister

15. gista

August 4, 2016 at 9:25 pm

Knowledge is power
    Power is power – petyr baliesh and cersi lannister

16. Sammie

August 5, 2016 at 4:45 pm

A white woman’s body is like a work of art… pale, soft and inviting….

17. Deji

August 5, 2016 at 4:51 pm

I have learnt to be wise as a serpant but cunning as a dove…

I have learnt being overly religious without applying commonsense and logic limits ones self.

It made me realise the unique gifts I have as a man in pushing my interests.

I feel comfortable telling people to f&*k off esp. When I can see through the games they try to play..

18. A.M

August 6, 2016 at 2:00 am

It’s easy to confuse “what is” with “what ought to be” especially when “what is” has worked in your favour. TYRION LANNISTER