BN TV

Taking a Break From Your Relationship – Yay or Nay? Watch Tracy & Willam Discuss Breaks on their VLog

Anyone that has been dating since their teenage days is sure to have come across the dreaded scenario that is a break in a relationship. When this is mentioned, most people are quick to consider it just a ‘let me cheat for a month’ request. While people have been known to use breaks as hall passes in their relationships, there are also cases of issues that are best resolved with time apart.

Sometimes for example, we find ourselves in relationships where a partner might require some alone time to attain a certain amount of growth, or to resolve an internal issue. We are quick to assume that in the ideal relationship all battles can be fought together. On closer inspection, it becomes clear that sometimes, space is needed to deal with certain issues.

The question then is, what happens when you are in a marital relationship? Depending on who you ask, the idea of taking a break can mean different things. Often, a break is just time needed away from emotional responsibilities and not time needed away from commitment. When this is the case, even married people can still afford a sort of break, though it isn’t advisable unless there is no other way out. In fact, sometimes, people in toxic relationships need a break to reassess the situation and see if carrying on is the best course of action.

In the video below, Tracy and I have a good old back and forth on this matter, and with your comments maybe you can help us reach a conclusion 🙂

William Ifeanyi Moore is an MPharm graduate from the University of Portsmouth, UK. His true passion is in novels and poetry but he cheats on them with movies, plays, and music. He believes sacrifice and compromise is the bedrock of any healthy relationship. His debut novel Lonely Roads is out on 10/12/2015. Blog: www.soulsyrup.space Twitter: @willifmoore Instagram: willifmoore

1. break

August 3, 2016 at 6:12 pm

hmmm….i took a break from my relationship cos of bad behaved sisters of my bf but and the break took too long, be fore I could say jack he got married to some else and now my love is gone from me. He is a sweet guy but his sisters just had this control on him

• Neharra

August 3, 2016 at 7:35 pm

He was just not that into you.

2. IYO

August 3, 2016 at 6:54 pm

‘Break” is simply precursor to a ‘break-up.’ Take it from someone who knows.

• nene

August 3, 2016 at 7:52 pm

not always. ive taken a break because i was afraid to lose a guy due to my own personal issues. and we got back together. sometimes breaks strenghten a relationship

3. No Long Thing

August 3, 2016 at 6:54 pm

I’m so tired of these dating/relationship discussions. Na only this subject we fit tackle for life.

4. Angel

August 3, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Then move along felicia! You didn’t need to open the page.

5. Stephanie

August 3, 2016 at 9:07 pm

I quite enjoyed this. Nothing pretentious about them. They’re just here to present their opinion, not lobby for husband and endorsements. Also very insightful and knowledgeable

6. Single Shalewa, Bitter Bintu!

August 4, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Hubby and i took a break while we were dating, he called for the break actually. I thought I’d die that day. He’d said “ehn, it’s just a break, I’m not entirely breaking up with you”. Stupid boy.
    I cried (i was so foolish) like I’d never cried before. Funny thing was, the whole ‘heartbreak’ was just for one night. The following morning, we had a shindig somewhere and I moved on real quick.
    One young doctor was on my case then, na so i started showing that one sense.
    Exactly three months after the break (May 3rd – August 3rd), this man called me and said we needed to see urgently. I was livid, how dare you come use your makossa to spoil my blues?

Anyway, the rest is history.

Funny enough, I saw the doctor on my street some weeks ago (after several years), ironically, he told me (bragging more like) he’s seeing a girl that lives next house to me.
    Girl is getting married in October. Not to him. He has no clue.
    Poor boy.