Features

Great Lady: Tomorrow May Never Come

dreamstime_m_33872629This past week a friend of my brother, who had just completed his undergraduate studies, died in a motor accident. When my brother heard of it, he was shocked. He just couldn’t fathom how the boy could die. He went from disbelief to sadness.

That incident reminded me of a dear friend of mine who died three years ago in a swimming pool. He was someone I loved so much and if tears could bring him back, he will probably be here today.

When he died it was a mixture of so many things: disbelief, shock, depression and then regrets. You see, the week he died I wasn’t talking to him. I was pissed off at him for something he did (looking back today it’s such a flimsy issue). I began to wish I had spoken to him that week. We were always communicating, so it took a lot of self will not to talk to him that week. I always thought we would always have time.

I still haven’t being able to come to terms with his death. I still feel like he travelled somewhere and one day I would see him. I kept saying then that life is too short, but I have come to realize that life is not short. The reason we feel life is short is because we don’t value the time we have with people today. We think there would always be time. We keep putting off calling someone today saying, ‘I will call tomorrow.’ What if the person is not there tomorrow?
We keep putting off doings things for the people we love – now that we still have them with us.

This life is very fickle; the person you saw yesterday could be dead by this morning. Let’s value the people God has placed in our lives, our family, our colleagues, neighbours etc.

Let’s stop the malice, the backbiting, the gossiping, the fights we have with people. All those things you’re fighting over is not worth the energy we put into sustaining enemies. Settle every beef you have with someone today, let the sun not go down on your anger.

Let’s look for people we can reach out to. There’s serious hunger in the land and your One thousand Naira (N1, 000) will go a long way in helping someone, let’s take the focus off ourselves for a minute.

At the end of our lives, what will matter most is not the amount of wealth we accumulated or the number of enemies we had; what will matter most is the impact we made in the lives of people.
Do something worthwhile for someone today. Call that friend today. Visit that family member. Don’t postpone what you can do today till tomorrow.

Tomorrow may never come.

Photo Credit: Mimagephotography | Dreamstime.com

Adejoke was born in Zaria, Kaduna State (which she absolutely has no recollection of) and graduated from the University of Abuja with a BSc in Accounting at Gwagwalada (which she can’t believe she still lives in).She started writing because her life was boring and had no one to talk to, so she thought, why don’t I talk with the whole world?Her blog www.memoirsofagreatlady.com was born after she discovered a passion for writing, and that writing is therapeutic as she now lives a joyful purposeful life.If you visit the blog, its description says, a lifestyle blog created with a purpose to impact and inspire people to live their best life (helping people to have sense) which sums up what she loves to do.When she is not writing, she is baking (she makes the best chocolate cake) or disturbing her sister who she loves to pieces.

1. Naijatalk

September 20, 2016 at 12:04 am

Thanks for thisGreat Lady

2. Marlvina

September 20, 2016 at 12:53 am

Nice write-up, Very true. I am actually guilty of postponing calls. I keep saying I will call later in the evening or tomorrow. Procrastination is really bad and I must stop it. Lord help me.

3. vora

September 20, 2016 at 2:38 am

Well it happened to me…i was keeping malice with sister cos she told my mum sth bad I did…tho she was sick dat period Bt I didn’t know she wld die just like That.she later called to apologise to me and I made up my mind to go and see her during the weekend but she died on a Thursday..she was just 31 and married with a kid…i don’t know how I pulled thru that period.my dad died of shock two months later..am crying all over as am typing this…only God knows y I didn’t run mad that period.bt thank God He has consoled us.bt I still wish things happened differently.i always feel better when ever I pour out my grief…RIP sis and dad till we meet to part no more

• Marlvina

September 20, 2016 at 2:53 am

Dear Vora, its sad hearing this about your family but God will continue upholding and protecting you and your family. May His grace continually be upon you. Keep trusting God for better days ahead, Thank God you made peace with your sister.

• LemmeRant

September 20, 2016 at 10:38 am

So sorry to hear that. One never envisages loosing a loved one.
      Pray that God replenishes all you’ve lost in hundred folds.

4. Lacey

September 20, 2016 at 4:17 am

Thank you for this great piece!I am at that stage of my life where I can only lol and show love because of God’s love which is shared [email protected] the Lord is your strength !

• Repent Lacey!

September 20, 2016 at 8:28 am

Look at your self! You that kept insulting that person ontop of minister of Finance issue…mtcheeew. Hypocrite!

• Lacey

September 20, 2016 at 9:59 pm

@I only have love for you!life is not that serious!so continue following me up and down!Inugo!I write my opinion, if you disagree , do it politely ! If you insult me in stead of stating your own side of the argument , you will get feedback insult from me! That does not mean I hate any one!it is called chastising !I go on to sleep well, as the word of God says,do not let the Sun set on your anger!so my dear more blessings on your silly head darling!

• Na

September 21, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Ugh!

Lacey, you’re sooooooooo confrontational! JEEZ!

5. Darius

September 20, 2016 at 7:10 am

Very interesting read. I am guilty of always procrastinating. This article is an eye-opener.

6. Kehinde

September 20, 2016 at 8:28 am

Well-done! nice write up. We need to give life our best shot when we have the time.

7. Ayodejialadephotography

September 20, 2016 at 8:39 am

Am so guilty of procrastination m it’s so sad that we don’t value pple around us my cousin died this sat n remembering seeing him the Thursday before then I thought to myself I would have stop to chat more or sometin. I believe it’s a lesson. Thanks GreatLady for this.

8. GraceOfGOD

September 20, 2016 at 8:42 am

@Great Lady,

Good morning MADAM. THANKS for this SUPERB post. You said the TRUTH and the TRUTH shall set us FREE. Have a GREAT day and stay BLESSED 🙂 🙂 🙂

9. Damola A

September 20, 2016 at 9:14 am

Very true, we don’t know what tomorrow holds.we have to value today.

10. Isaac owutu

September 20, 2016 at 9:19 am

Such an inspiring one.One thing dt struck me is the fact dt somtimes we don’t get to settle our differences with pple until it’s too late(not just bcus of death bt 4 oda risins ).Wish we all value and cherish the moment we have with pple n let go of grudges dt r not just worth keeping so time doesn’t cheat us.

11. Bobo Jay

September 20, 2016 at 9:24 am

This is a very great piece from a greatlady,simple but life changing,if we can all change the way we treat others while they are alive,we would live a very fulfilled life. Keep up the good work Great lady!

12. Rahul Anjali

September 20, 2016 at 9:40 am

Kal Ho Na Ho…. Tomorrow May Not Come

13. 'BubuLee

September 20, 2016 at 10:31 am

Very thoughtful piece from a truly great lady, these days i’ve realized its much stressful to quarrel and keep moping over it instead of settling issues as quick as possible. the strength alone that goes into keeping malice isn’t even worth the investment. sorry about your loss. God bless you

14. abiodun

September 20, 2016 at 10:43 am

Joke,this is a great piece from you,am also guilty of some this but I know the Lord will make me overcome them….thanks so much dear…more grease to your elbow and God bless u more and more….Gracias

15. Ujay

September 20, 2016 at 11:59 am

So touchy… We just have to be conscious and reflect daily on our lives because nobody knows what’s going to happen the next minute. Nice piece dear…

16. Life.

September 20, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Young Forever, I celebrate U and the God in U.
    Thank You for this piece, keep doing it.

17. bea

September 20, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Hmn. I am currently going through this now. Though my uncle is not dead but i desperately feel the need to reconcile with him but dont know where he lives or anyone who does. Plus his phone number that i have he is not responding to the call.

I felt i will go see him once I am sorted. but getting sorted took like 4-5 years and now I am ready he is no where to be found. I am praying that God will really help me.

18. Harobed

September 20, 2016 at 5:20 pm

This is a master piece, and an eye opener. Procrastination is a great sin we need to overcome in this our generation.
    Thanks great lady for letting God use you

19. vora

September 20, 2016 at 5:23 pm

tnk u marlvina,lemme rant and lacey for ur kind words

20. Pearl

September 21, 2016 at 3:23 am

We all are somewhat guilty of this. I Need to do more in this area and learn to forgive more easily. People will always hurt us but we have to learn to forgive,turn the other cheek and always give room for improvement. God help us all. Thanks Great lady, blessed to know ya?

21. temitope