Features

LofeMide: You Live Here, Too?

dreamstime_m_369351Almost everyone in my inner circle knows I would rather not be living where I live. I easily blame 60% of the stress triggers in my life on the fact that I live there. When I ask my friends over, I use words like ‘when are you coming to Cameroon to see me’, even though I actually live in Lagos.

My house itself is comfortable and beautiful, if only I could carry it to some other part of Lagos. I tell anyone, willing to listen, how living there is not a smart choice –  if you don’t run your own business or have absolute control over your time. The traffic is unending, the roads are narrow and when it rains, it’s time to wade. Blah, blah, blah I go on. The only good thing I see about living in that area is the amazing man with whom I live there.

Then this morning, I sat in the same bus with a colleague from work. Hardly a colleague, as I do not even know his name, never had any work relation with him. I just know we work for the same firm and might have said ‘hi’ at the lunch room once or twice. He lives in the same area as I do, as our chit chat in the bus revealed. Of course that revelation launched me into my lamentations about the area with full expectations that he would agree and we would together hold a pity party, bemoaning the fate that located us there.

I could not have been more wrong. Dude saw the cup not just half full but almost pouring over. He formerly lived in a choice area, in the heart of the island- the kind of place I would like to live. Then his forgetful neighbour and his forgotten plugged appliance burnt the house down. My colleague came home to no house. That was three weeks ago. In one week, he had to find a new place and new everything. He had to start over. That is how he got to live in the same area as me. Woah! Woah right!

The most interesting part is his outlook to the situation. He reeled out a long list of advantages he’s enjoying in his new location, started from the power supply to the availability of clean water you don’t have to buy, the cool calm air that comes from the presence of trees and nearness of the sea, the security we enjoy and simplicity of the people. What? We have all that and I didn’t notice? I have lived there for six months, he has lived there only two weeks and he has observed all the good things I enjoy everyday but never notice. Because my head is buried in the discomfort of the distance and all the perks, I have totally missed out on the pros and many blessings I enjoy.

Completely immersed in the guilt of my ingratitude, I cast my mind back to the last six months and I realise it could have been much worse. Now all I want to do is praise, I thank God for the house I live in. I’m grateful for the space I enjoy, the amenities that work, the clean borehole water. Thank you for the mango tree behind my window, for the efinrin and ewuro plants I cut from every now and then. Thank you for all the times I have complained that the food in the freezer is too frozen. Thank you for the affordable help that surrounds me. Thank you for Shadrach, the bike guy who takes me around the estate and the estate gatemen who greet me every morning before the day properly dawns. Thank you for the market that is not too far away and kekes that litter the streets. The more I think about it, the more I see reasons to be thankful.

Points of dissatisfaction are quite easy to see, no matter how tiny. Miracles on the other hand have to be larger than life to be obvious. Why? While I am still trusting God for a really nice house in a not-so-far place, I will henceforth be grateful for the miracle of where I currently stay and the blessings that surround me there.

What do you have to be grateful for today? Please share; let’s have a gratitude-party up in here.

Photo Credit: Karen Struthers | Dreamstime.com

Lofemide is a deep-thinker, detail-finder and word-smith‎. She is particular about details, hence her writings are mostly musings and conversations. Especially conversations with herself and her God who she loves to no end. Read more of her musings at bunmilofe.blogspot.com or tweet at her @lofemide.

1. EDHARA

September 19, 2016 at 7:37 pm

I am sure u live in Egbeda or IyanaIpaja
    Or Igando

• Adebola

September 19, 2016 at 7:53 pm

@ EDHARA, Is that the point of the post? SMH

• parodi

September 19, 2016 at 8:45 pm

You are still looking for where she lives…. !!!!

• Anonymous

September 19, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Nah!! Most definitely Ikorodu.

• LofeMide

September 20, 2016 at 11:37 am

Hmmm, nah. Guess again. You have two more guesses.

2. Kay

September 19, 2016 at 7:42 pm

I’m grateful for every single thing in my life, the things I see and the things I don’t see. The air I breathe, the sun, the rain, the birds, the butterflies, the plants, the trees, water, the food I am blessed to eat. Everything!

3. Kay

September 19, 2016 at 7:52 pm

I have a couple of friends that live in Egbeda, Iyana Ipaja, Igando, and it’s such a surprise how nice some of the estates are there, beautiful houses, calm neighbours, nobody looks like they are competing with their neighbour on like some estates on the Island. The only problem I find with Egbeda, Iyana Ipaja and Igando is the traffic nothing more. I once had to do some real estate work and actually found out the properties in these areas are crazy high that’s if it’s even available for sale. I bet you alot of people that condemn such areas are rent mongers that can’t afford a 10m x 10m piece of land.

4. Janee

September 19, 2016 at 8:16 pm

This is beautiful. I used to complain about where I live too; outskirts, too far from everywhere. Now I am grateful that no one can just pop in on me without calling first, my house is bigger than what I’d get in town for double the price, and my environment is serene. I thank God.

5. linlin

September 19, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Lol @edhara……I’m very sure she lives in Mowe- Ibafo- MFM etc

I’m 36, No Husband, No Pikin but I’m thankful for good health and for life to Him who is able to do than I can ever ask or think. Ese Baba

• lol

September 21, 2016 at 9:12 am

Linda Ikeji is that you ?

6. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

September 19, 2016 at 9:54 pm

One word…..MAIN LAND!!!

7. Chi

September 19, 2016 at 10:02 pm

M thankful for the salvation of my soul and for the plans God made from the beginning to deliver me from d flesh.
    M thankful for my dad, mum nd brothers.
    M thankful for d great friends I hv.
    M grateful for a lot more.
    Tnx to God indeed. He’s d reason I smile.

8. John

September 19, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Definitely Ajah

9. Marlvina

September 19, 2016 at 10:22 pm

YES! We should learn to be content and grateful to God for everything. If we fail to show appreciation for the very little things, how then will He do much more?

10. LEM

September 19, 2016 at 10:44 pm

I thank God for life, for health, for a great family, for having a roof over our head, for being able to have food on the table, for the means to provide for the family, I just have so much to thank God for.

11. Manny

September 19, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Mango tree behind your window? Girl, can I come visit?

12. aj

September 20, 2016 at 3:56 am

na wa for you people o…I know some well to do families that live in Egbeda so that might be her case. Anyway, I am thankful for my family.

13. Tosin

September 20, 2016 at 4:19 am

Area!
    Bloody love my place. Every day.

14. Bukola

September 20, 2016 at 8:13 am

I am thankful for the gift of life.
    I am thankful for the salvation of my soul and that of my family.
    I am thankful for my awesome husband.
    I am thankful for the times we quarreled and quarreled.
    I am thankful for the peace in my home.
    I am thankful for the miscarriage we had.
    I am thankful for our pregnancy (its a boy, my husband wants a girl *tongue out).
    I am thankful for the rented house we stay in.
    I am thankful for the job i have but i am tired of.
    I am thankful for our Lord Jesus Christ.
    I am thankful for a whole lot more than i can put into writing.

15. bb

September 20, 2016 at 8:58 am

Thanks for this beautiful piece. It is so very easy to forget the blessings in the midst of other needs surrounding our lives. I’m thankful for life, health, family, friends, loved ones, my work – though I can do with a nice raise – but, it’s a lot better than having none. Im thankful for every good thing that God has surrounded my life with. I actually feel better for this. Thanks once again dear for this wonderful piece.

16. osaretin

September 20, 2016 at 9:42 am

thankful for life and a comfortable bed

17. M&

September 20, 2016 at 10:03 am

I also complain about where I live because of the bad road leading there, just one very bad spot that the government is not ready to fix. But I also realise I have a lot to be thankful for e.g. my lovely family, my neighbours, cheap school for my kids, and light in my area! oh light! last night my 4 year old daughter said ‘mummy tell Daddy to go and put off the gen”. I said its not gen, its NEPA light (aka PHCN, aka IKEDC). She went… ‘Oooh, now there’s light, till morning there will be light, every morning and every night there will be light! Why don’t they want to put if off??” See complain o! I told her abeg, this is the normal thing, don’t think not having light and putting off gen by 10/11pm is normal o!

18. I thank God.

September 20, 2016 at 11:25 am

I thank God for allowing me to read this write up and the feeling of gratitude I got from reading it.

19. LofeMide

September 20, 2016 at 11:41 am

I’m loving all the attempts to guess where I live.
    Only one person has come close, others couldn’t be farther.
    Maybe that’s another thing I should thank God for. That my area is not likely to come up on any random list of places to rob or stage a kidnapping.

Hehehehe…

20. Great Lady

September 20, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Though I may be broke but I am thankful I’m alive, I have a family, I have a job, my writing ability, I have food to eat and a roof over my head.

21. Smh

September 20, 2016 at 2:02 pm

I’m so sure you stay in Ajah/Sangotedo…I live there too and found myself nodding at everything you complained of….and also nodding at all the good things your colleague extolled.
    Regardless of all you complained of….I love the area…the trick to surviving there is working close to where you live.

22. teekay

September 20, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Im thankful for my life,my job,health i can afford to eat the food of my choice without side effects,the air i breath,my family,that my parents are alive and together, my dad provides for the family, mehnnn the list goes on and on!!!!!!! I bless God

23. Chiamaka

September 20, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Lol let me try, I’m guessing Sangotedo. Please tell me I’m right. Hehehee.
    I’m thankful to God for My life, My Mum, Dad & Lovely siblings, The love that surrounds me. I could go on and on…

24. YoYo

September 20, 2016 at 3:32 pm

At least some people are stating Sangotedo, I live past Sangotedo, Awoyaya self. Watin you want make I talk. I am now used to that way of life, used to complain but now I don’t care until I get to Jakande and Ajah Traffic, lol…..

25. Kay

September 20, 2016 at 4:32 pm

I am thankful for my health…. i turned 30 years a few days ago…
    I am thankful for my dad, he will be 79 years in November….
    I am thankful for my family,even though there isn’t much love among us but we are all doing just fine….
    I am thankful for my career, I might not have the dream job at the moment but i know God still has a plan….
    I am thankful i have a roof over my heard, i have food to eat and most importantly i have where to go every morning……..
    I am thankful for the cross

26. Mz IB

September 20, 2016 at 9:02 pm

I know i complain a lot when I face some set back, forgetting how God has helped I and my family n still make us come out victorious over our difficulties. I’m thankful for the bond in my family, my sisters n friends, thankful for my dad’s health n retirement, thankful for mumsi business, thankful for losing my job and still unemployed but I can afford some things n still help people, thankful we are all graduates in my family and we av a nurse ?, thankful for life and everything good. Its not easy breathing.

• Interested CM

September 21, 2016 at 7:38 am

Only praise can take you higher

27. Ranyinudo

September 20, 2016 at 11:55 pm

All praise to the One who has ransomed my soul….Calvary covers it all.
    I’m eternally grateful to God for my salvation and the gift of eternal life. Nothing else compares to it.
    Lastly I’m thankful to God for Family. Their support and love makes it all worthwhile ‘specially when the going gets tough.

28. Interested CM

September 21, 2016 at 7:38 am

Only praise can take you higher

29. Ever Green

September 21, 2016 at 4:13 pm

I am thankful for the air I breathe.
    For my eyes,nose,mouth,hands, legs and every part of my body.
    I appreciate God for my family and friends,…
    I thank God that all the challenges I am currently going through will end and it will turn to a good story that will make me stronger and better and people will celebrate me.
    I am grateful and I trust God will perfect my career and will bless me with someone that will move the world to be with me and love me so much (mutually).