Music

#MTVMAMA2016: And the Winners Are…Yemi Alade, Wizkid, Cassper Nyovest, Sauti Sol & More

BellaNaija.com

Yemi AladeIt’s a wrap!

The 2016 MTV MAMAs has come to an end after an exciting night of performances, award recognition and red carpet glamour.

Some of the winners of the night include Yemi Alade who won the Best Female Act for the second time in a row, Wizkid for Best Male Act, Patoranking for Song of the Year and more.

Check out the full list of winners below.

Best Live Act: Cassper Nyovest

Best Group: Sauti Sol

Best Female Act: Yemi Alade

Best Male Act: Wizkid

Best Collaboration of the Year: DJ Maphorisa feat. Wizkid & DJ Buckz – Soweto Baby

Best Video of the Year: Niquer Ma Vie – Youssoupha

1. Carliswag malip

October 22, 2016 at 11:04 pm

MEHN!! THIS YEAR’S WASN’T TOO SEXY

I REP CARLISWAG.COM

2. De Duchess

October 22, 2016 at 11:39 pm

It was so boring, I couldn’t concentrate fully and truth is, I really love watching award shows, concerts, events on TV but this was just not it.

Things I learnt….
    Bonang is not all that! She may be good on Radio but she carries the Radio voice and attitude to TV and it was hard connecting with her presenting style. I just kept thinking ‘oh, she has one of those wonderful radio voice’. When I heard she was taking over, I was excited to watch her for the first time, she has been all over the place, it was time to see the talent, she got her lines in such a short time but that TV presenter draw was missing.
    Something one can find with IK or Joseph Benjamin, it was just not there. Mainly blank excitement.

All the hosts were practically not flowing. Something was off. I understand they had just a little time to prepare but still, ladies care about outfits more than the job.
    If Trevor came, he will probably use a suit for the whole show but if a woman is hosting a show, she has to have an outfit change for each appearance. It happens all the time. What is that all about?

The third thing I noticed is international(appreciated across Africa) recognition is gold and Wizkid is international. I felt the love. Pantoranking and Tecno have also won the African crowd. Meanwhile other stars need to work on that appeal beyond Nigeria. I mean Wiz was performing a yoruba song and see the South African audience -dancing, cheering, and enjoying it. It was so cold when some artistes got mentioned and people were just dead silent- like Simi, Linda Ikeji.

Yemi Alade is an energetic performer with a beautiful voice to back it up and she sangggg, no lip sync!!!!
    Most performers did not lip sync from Wizkid, Casper, Yemi and my dear Falz.

I am probably done. Yes, I have time on my hands and I decided to do this.

• Feranmi meseko

October 23, 2016 at 12:06 am

I just don’t need to add anything I swear…. We share the same thought on this…

Good analyse….

Wiz….. I hope to see you do more of what you did yesternight…. Plus he was more like the headliner when we set aside “Future.”

Yemi alade…….damn… Lolz… So lovely and energitic…. Just like @de duchess said, this year’s show was kinda boring unlike last year.

The show got exciting when Wiz stepped on stage.

3. AceOfSpades

October 23, 2016 at 1:07 am

I don’t like that Linda Ikeji did not win. Is she not as big in Africa as big she is in Nigeria? Like it’s Linda effing Ikeji mehnn, it’s disrespectful not to cheer when her name was mentioned. I know it will get into her head but she deserves it anyway. I’ve never heard of the winner in that category.

Let’s wait for the drama to unfold from pained artistes. It’s still 2016, the drama will last till December I’m sure. I’m sure we haven’t seen the best yet.

• LemmeRant

October 23, 2016 at 7:51 am

Its like you don’t know how many people in that place that hate her abi?

I’ve said it before, its counter intuitive for gossip bloggers to also want to be celebrities. You want to eat your cake and have it. Bloggers draw their power from staying in the shadows and blogging about celebs. You can’t want to be a celeb and also blog about celeb and be appreciated for it.

• Nancy

October 23, 2016 at 9:06 am

Oh really! Apparently, she is not all that. It was so embarassing how they cheered for the nominee before her and when her name was called, the room was dead silent. And soon after Pearl Thusi was called, the hall shook again.

I have no idea about the guy that won sha. I was expecting Pearl or Wizkid but apparently he must have done something right.

• Ene

October 23, 2016 at 12:04 pm

They probably don’t know Linda. They don’t play with Caster o. She has been through a lot before and during the Olympics. There was one athlete that came fourth in the Olympics 800 metres and was complaining about Caster and the other 2 medal winners being more advantaged than the others. South Africa stood up for Caster and gave her (the athlete) perfect finishing on twitter .She is really loved by her People.

• Anon

October 23, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Lol about “the guy that won.” Her name is Caster Semenya.

• EbonyFre

October 24, 2016 at 4:22 pm

You people should stop talking based on your little myopic island perspectives. Nigeria isn’t Africa biko. Linda Ikeji ke?
      And even if it was a purely Nigerian award, it would have been too close to call between her and Wizkid. There’s more to life than the online world. That’s why Caster Semenya won and you probably don’t even know she’s a she

4. Middle-distance

October 23, 2016 at 2:17 am

Nice one Semenya!!keep soaring higher..love u so much!
    u cancanci da shi!!

5. John Fowler

October 23, 2016 at 8:56 am

One of my favourite groups is Clan Rojo of Equatorial Guinea, but what do they fall under Lusophone or Francophone because they sing in Spanish?

6. Mysteeq

October 23, 2016 at 9:01 am

LWKMD @ace of spades i cant believe you said linda deserves to win over caster semanya..wow! I mean caster won olympic gold and is known world over..how many ppl outside naija know linda. Pls it was a no brainer

• Jay

October 24, 2016 at 2:27 am

I don’t like Linda but your comment is inaccurate and ridiculous. MANY people outside Nigeria know her. She didn’t win fine, and I don’t care/like her, but don’t say irrational things.

7. good girl

October 23, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Wiz kid did great and we have come to know how internationally acclaimed he his… ..im not a big fan but i appreciate him as a Nigerian making waves……chai e go pain some people o….

8. timmyblast

October 23, 2016 at 7:36 pm

im not hating o. please is dis award for songs release this year? cos im cracking my head to remember yemi’s last hit song and the year. im sorry o, just saying…

9. pclassic

October 25, 2016 at 4:26 pm

its appourling,irritating, abeg were is olamide efforts used for,even Yemi alade that’s has no performance this year una Carry award give am#bob#corruption