Features

Akudo Abenogwe-Adebayo: Are You Smarter than a 2-Year Old?

Akudo AbenogweOkay, I’m guilty of helping my daughter out with her assignment! My beautiful daughter is hyper active. She is so set in her ways, she picks out the cloth and shoe she wants to wear, and if you refuse to help her in them, she will surprise you by wearing them herself with a gleeful smile.

She wants to feed herself, she wants to bath herself, she even wants to write her assignment herself, and woe betide me if I insist on helping her, she will scream down the roof. She always wants to write them herself, and if I try to help her, she will concentrate on every other thing but her books – a silent way of telling me she doesn’t need my help with her assignment. Meanwhile, she can only write figure 1 correctly for now, so sometimes, I will angrily collect her books and write the assignments for her!
I know some ‘over sabi’ parents will be quick to condemn and say ‘oh you can’t do that’ ‘how will she learn it if you always do it for her?’ So yes, maybe I need some help on creative ways to get a much too playful 2 year 5 months old girl settle down enough and write her assignment herself.

Something happened recently which jolted my awareness that I had to up my game regarding my kids’ academics, because my little girl is growing and naturally believes that her mummy knows it all. I was home one evening and the kids were playing around me and disrupting everything in the house as usual. Suddenly my daughter came to me and said

“Mummy, let’s say it” when I didn’t pay attention to her, she repeated herself and loudly this time. So I had to carry her brother in my arms and turn towards her.

“Let’s say what?” I asked her.

“Abla” she said looking eagerly at me. Just then, I realised that she had been reciting the states and capital while playing all the while, and now wanted me to recite with her.

“Umuahia” I responded and quickly took the lead to call the states while she tells me the capital of each and we went thus

Me- “Abia” she “Umuahia”

Me- “Adamawa” she dancing happily “Yola”

Me- “Akwa Ibom” she “Uyo”

Me- “Anambra” she “Awka”

Me- “Bauchi” she “Bauchi”

And I went blank. I didn’t only forget the remaining states, I also couldn’t remember the sequence it follows.

‘Yeepa’! I screamed silently, my little girl suddenly stopped dancing and peered directly at me with a stare that brooked no argument

“Mummy continue” she said authoritatively.

Chei! How would I explain to a 2-year plus old that mummy didn’t know the 36 states and Federal Capital of Nigeria. I was racking my brain for a solution when I remembered my phone and dear old google, so quickly before she could spot me, I picked my phone. I smartly hid it behind her brother who was still on my laps watching the Television, I quickly Googled the states and capitals in Nigeria. Sharp sharp it came out and I started afresh with her, this time a lot more confident that she wouldn’t find out that mummy has almost become an olodo.

When they finally went to be bed after an exhaustive unending recitation of the states and capitals in Nigeria, I went through her textbooks in her previous ‘Reception’ class, trying to understand what they taught them and also update myself with the nursery school academic curriculum. By the next evening, I was the first to initiate the states and capital rhyme and as she rhymed away, I smiled to myself, children, it really takes so little to satisfy them.

You can share an experience when you were almost caught by a smart child.

Akudo Abengowe-Adebayo is a multiple award winner, with over 8 years in the media industry. She also hosts (Love Moments With Akudo) and is CEO of SATT Media, a content and media marketing company. She blogs at Akudosworld. She is married with two adorable kids and loves Jesus with all her being. She is a TV addict, loves dancing and traveling, and a lil gossip now and then. Follow her on [email protected] or [email protected] http://akudosworld.blogspot.com.ng/

1. Aibee

November 4, 2016 at 5:10 pm

Pardon me, but why is a 2 year old learning to recite state and capital? Who designs the curriculum? What does state and capital mean to a 2 year old?

• Just saying

November 4, 2016 at 8:34 pm

African schools all they do is chew and pour on subjects to no end
      Yet they can’t articulate or compete eloquently with foreign kids, as they evidently show in Nollywood movies.

Not impressive

• Frank teacher

November 5, 2016 at 5:58 pm

The poor is that as much as its no concern for the two year old, the brain however picks up recitals done as a child, and it stays.
      Your me at question will be , won’t the states and capital have new entries before the child becomes an adult. Yes; but only fewer more to memorize

2. fabulicious

November 4, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Nigerian schools like seriously…I am a Nigerian living here but our schools are just annoying..One 2 year old can recite 1-200,another can write 1-100,another can say states and capitals while another cannot do any of the above,Some can even do all these things but yet their pencil grip, handwriting and simple coloring skills are poor ..I am just done with all these schools..That is why there is so much unhealthy competition among parents too..Too much forced booksmarts with zero room for creativity and learning through play.

3. Mk

November 4, 2016 at 5:43 pm

I was going to say the whole article is a lie like who teaches a 2 year old states and capital? But let me not get ahead of myself. I so agree with you @ fabulicious why so much emphasis on book smart. Why can’t every child discover their own niche via creative learning sigh. Our educational system in Nigeria is so backward

4. Iya

November 4, 2016 at 5:52 pm

“Mummy continue” she said authoritatively.

LMBO, best line. Children!

5. MamaD

November 4, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Ohhhhh! I was thinking I’m the only complainant. My 2yr and 1 month baby girl comes home with the most ridiculous homeworks. I’m like what do they want you to know by asking God created Heaven and —–? Fruits give—–? Etc. Like seriously? We are meant to help her write it into her book? Isn’t she suppose to be scribbling away with crayons and singing rhymes at this age? Why stress these kids mentally at this tender age?
    Compare Nigerian(African) kids who do so much academic work with kids in advanced societies who do less but are more productive. You know who is the boss already.
    Let’s not even talk about how kids leave home and return very late after attending school anf2 separate lessons.

6. Tincan

November 4, 2016 at 9:29 pm

I thought I was missing something for a moment. My daughter is the exact same age we are just starting on her abcs. All they seem to do at nursery is sing rhymes, scribble, paint or colour in with the skills of finger grip and other basics just starting to be developed. State and capital kwa? It seems a bit tedious for that age. Anyways, different systems, I guess….

7. Lateefah

November 4, 2016 at 11:01 pm

It seems my 2year old son attends the same school with your daughter! He recites state & capitals, members of a family & what he has no business with! I engage him at home with nursery rhymes, I downloaded Chu Chu TV for him, he colors, dances to songs & use Building blocks at home! I’m definitely changing his school next session!
    Back to your post, my 9 year old daughter asked me for the names of people on our currency notes and I goofed big time!

8. BeautifulOnyinye

November 5, 2016 at 12:01 am

I tire for our system and society.That’s how some well meaning individuals have started putting pressure on us to put my 17 month old daughter in school.I always ask them ‘to do what exactly?.Biko my kids should talk first before going to any school.What’s the rush?Then States and Capitals @ 2 years?I don’t gerrit but what do I know?

9. FTM

November 5, 2016 at 11:28 am

Hmmm…. I’m a first time month and all these comments are giving me serious food for thought. I would appreciate tips on what to look out for when deciding on a school. I live in PH and wouldn’t mind recommendations too.

10. FTM

November 5, 2016 at 11:29 am

*Mom

11. Babs

November 5, 2016 at 3:58 pm

The whole write up is a lie. Which 2yr old can recite state and capitals abeg? Children can barely talk at 2 and still in crèche. Crappy write up full of fiction!

• Concerned Mom

November 5, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Children differ! My first child could not speak clearly until she was well past two and a half. My second child is not two yet and she can communicate effectively in sentences.

• molarah

November 6, 2016 at 1:35 am

Na nah…get out of your cocoon. Children are learning proficiencies in multiple languages at that age. Read around before you dismiss any story as a lie.

• Stella

February 19, 2017 at 9:05 am

Not true.My twin just struck two on d 16th and they were reciting states and capital. ..I was in so much shock I had to Google to see if thats the new normal.

12. Babs