Features

Nigerians, Albinos are #OneOfUs! Onome Akinlolu Majaro (OAM) Foundation x EVI Photography Creatively Creates Awareness

Discrimination against albinos is a societal problem we pray ends in 2017.

BellaNaija bride and now mother of one Onome has been raising awareness through her Onome Akinlolu Majaro (OAM) Foundation.

Click here to see her beautiful wedding on BellaNaija Weddings, and their baby dedication on BellaNaija Living.

They partnered with EVI Photography and other creative artists to enlighten the community on the discrimination albinos face, and penned a poem dedicated to the issue –

I am an Albino

So what?

Call me whatever you like,

Oyinbo, Afin, Yellow paw-paw…

I can be whatever I want to be

YOU really can’t stop me

I can be a mother, a designer and much more

I can achieve all my dreams

You seem to forget that I could be your brother, mother, sister or any other person close you.

The next time you see me in your neighbourhood, rather than stare at me with disgust and irritation,

Treat me with love, care and respect

Cos that’s what I deserve

I deserve a normal life.

STOP THE DISCRIMINATION AGAINST ALBINOS.

ONE OF US

That white skin

Those bluish sometimes grey eyes

And of course the yellowish or golden hair.

You really can’t help but notice when an albino passes by.

These unique creatures

Where did they emerge from?

Are they ghosts?

Are they angels?

Are they…?

The questions are unending.

So many misconceptions…

Albinism is the absence of melanin that gives human skin, eyes and hair their colour.

Albinos are one of us.

They have dreams, passions, and goals like every one of us.

They have emotions and feelings

They can be whatever they want to be

Albinos are amongst us.

They are everywhere we go;

North, East, West and South.

Let’s look beyond their complexion.

Let’s end this discrimination against albinos.

Let’s embrace them because in the end, they are ONE OF US.”

Team
Photography/Creative Idea & Direction: @evi_photography
Photography Assistants: @provabs @foluartstudio @folababarinde
Studio: @emmanueloyeleke
Copywriter: @mercy.onun
Models: Adanna @okagbareonome, Aduke @ugobella for @oam_foundation
Aisha @mimzbee
Accessories: @styledbyseun for @janemichaelekanem
Graphic Artist: @derickft
Makeup: @merakibyonome
Hairstylist: @ceezysstyling

1. Chinwe

January 2, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Wow… this is incredible. Welldone Onoms; albino advocate. Bellanaija thanks for providing the platform for the albinism awareness creation

2. xplorenollywood.com

January 2, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Nice…

3. Okagbare Tega

January 2, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Your awareness campaign on albinism is inspiring , keep up the good work

4. peter Carl

January 2, 2017 at 2:24 pm

You certainly inspire we young Nigerians..keep changing lives!

5. Paul Okagbare

January 2, 2017 at 2:25 pm

Onome, BellaNaija bride; your OAM Foundation is doing great in the creation of awareness about albinos. BellaNaija, you are right on target; beautiful job.

6. Kene fr

January 2, 2017 at 2:31 pm

All I can say is keep up the good work, one day I hope we will all realize we all one.

7. Pamela Mbanefo

January 2, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Very creative

8. artklub

January 2, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Aisha is not an albino, why is she included in the campaign about albinos? i am very confused….

• unadite

January 2, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Aisha thrown in there speaks volumes. NO DISCRIMINATION. We are one and same

• unadite

January 2, 2017 at 8:58 pm

That last picture is everything!

9. Arikaibe Doris

January 2, 2017 at 4:30 pm

Keep going higher dear. D sky is your starting point. Much luv

10. sussy

January 2, 2017 at 4:35 pm

So inspiring!!! Albinism is beautiful…. Thank you Onome and the team that made this a reality… Bella naija you rock!!!

11. Anu

January 2, 2017 at 4:38 pm

The work of this foundation keeps inspiring, saving, empowering and giving hope to people living with Albinism not only in Nigeria but across Africa. I salute Onome Okagbare Majaro for her courage and impactful work. Keep it up!

12. Bukola Adebayo

January 2, 2017 at 5:12 pm

Onome inspired me to write and tell a different story about albinism than the one in the media, http://punchng.com/how-we-conquered-our-challenges/
    Her story is one that must be told to change the narratives which i strongly believe must be done. White or black we are ONE #BeyondMelanin#

13. Babeee

January 2, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Nomsky my girl.keep on shinning

14. Ivie Isibor-Aleobua

January 2, 2017 at 5:19 pm

uhmmm…this is so encouraging. I am so sure your story will encourage all those who are withdrawn from the society for any reason. No one can actually kill your dream if God has set the pace. I wish you success Onome.

15. Ladidi

January 2, 2017 at 5:47 pm

My Dear, we are proud of your achievements with regards to creating awareness on “Community Acceptance of Albinism” Do keep up the Good work and I salute the courage exhibited by your team at ensuring the flag is kept flying high. Well done OAM and the entire Team Members.

16. Ladidi BakoAiyegbusi

January 2, 2017 at 5:49 pm

17. Onyeka

January 2, 2017 at 5:58 pm

Adanna Majaro you are beautiful, God bless your foundation

18. Maxi

January 2, 2017 at 6:19 pm

We love you Onome! Shine on…

19. wale kekeke

January 2, 2017 at 6:41 pm

I am one of you,. Kudos to OAM
    I am honoured meeting & knowing this ICON
    Onome Okagbare-Majaro

20. OGE

January 2, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Oh My GOD! WOW! This is extremely mind blowing creativity and very interligent awareness By OAM foundation . Am so Proud of The Founder of OAM foundation who has given Young Albinos new Face ,a loud Voice and above all renewed self esteem. Love u all my beauty and brains whites !

21. Yvonne Yinfaowei

January 2, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Nice workpiece. Ur pix are wonderful, keep the flag flying

22. Young

January 2, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Motivational and inspiring

23. Lolu

January 2, 2017 at 7:43 pm

BEAUTIFUL!! Really beautiful.

24. Richard

January 2, 2017 at 8:05 pm

We all are ONE! Without a doubt we are! When we look at the real values that make us humans. We all without exception share common emotions: we laugh, we smile, we cry, we get excited, we are happy at times and so on. So where does the difference we so magnify come from? And for some of us, why do we take pleasure in holding conditions people had no choice or control over, nor authority over against them? Stop for a moment to think, which of the following did you have a choice over: tHe color of your skin? The color of your eyes? Your nationally? Your parentage? Your tribe? I still have not heard a ‘yes’ to all my questions so far!

Recall the words of Martin Lurther when he said he looked forward to an America where people are not judged on the basis of the color of their skin but rather on the content of their character!

25. Jazmineexquisiteworld

January 2, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Beautiful…

26. Uche

January 2, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Nneoma, indeed you’re an inspiration to us. Kudos ????????

27. sally

January 2, 2017 at 8:47 pm

I know Aduke and I am very proud to be her friend! She is very strong willed and has a heart of Gold . Even though we fight and settle and fight and settle again, I have never seen her as different from me. It has never even crossed my mind for once! Aduke mi! Keep soaring high. Let those who think you are different keep being in the dark until you rise up and become their boss!!! You know how we roll na! #proudfriend

28. Mr. Kliff

January 2, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Yellow the most special gift. Always proud of you

29. Valerie

January 2, 2017 at 10:21 pm

My God this is amazing… I hope this story inspires people. I hope it has given others hope. I hope it provokes people to leave the world better than how they found it. But most importantly I hope you stop living in fear.

30. Local chick

January 2, 2017 at 11:47 pm

Great work. Coming from an extended family with quite a few albinos one of the essential things for albinos is high SPF sun creams. My aunt had a cancerous mole excised a few years ago, wide hats and sun creams have been essentials.

31. Adaora Martyns

January 3, 2017 at 6:39 am

This is impactful.Kudos Onoms…

32. Juliet N

January 3, 2017 at 8:57 am

Thank you Onome for this beautiful platform your dreams have no choice than to flourish. Thank you Bellanaija for showcasing this to the world. To our beautiful models Aisha and Aduke (baby sis), greater heights to you both. This is surely the beginning of the best. “Angels Amongst Men”

33. Tru

January 3, 2017 at 9:21 am

This is beautiful but i’m disheartened that people actually discriminate against albinos. Like seriously, why????

34. lily

January 3, 2017 at 10:16 am

That’s the point! Aisha is dark skinned and human Adanna and Aduke are albinos and are also human beings. One of us is a human thing not albino thing.

35. Ennie

January 3, 2017 at 10:55 am

I love this!!! That I’m an albino doesn’t make me less than anyone.

36. Deborah

January 3, 2017 at 11:32 am

Everyone is wonderful in his or her skin. Ride on dear

37. Chinazom

January 3, 2017 at 12:47 pm

This is beautiful… OAM foundation is doing a great job.

38. Rita

January 10, 2017 at 10:34 pm

Together we can make a difference