Features

Bobosteke: Much Ado About The Wedding Party

Yes, I know; I’m late to the party (no pun intended). But What. A. Party.
I laughed outright, much to the consternation of my host; and privately, to the annoyance of my phone. I’m sure, it (the phone), hisses whenever I click on the movie. I just skip straight to the scenes that improve my flat tummy goals and have fun.

It was funny, yeah; BUT, not without some (okay a lot) of avoidable slips. I scoured the Internet thinking someone would have written about them, but did not find any. If at all there are any previous reviews like this, I apologize in advance that my service provider did not cover the location of said review (is that even possible). If there aren’t, well, what do you know? It’s a first.

The following is an unprofessional review. Some people do this for a living and my attempt is in no way meant to be passed off as the real thing. These are just my observations. And I’m not not altogether unlike anyone else anyway; I just “watch” movies too.

1. The Biker
In the opening scene, a biker was delivering invites to the wedding to the bride’s house, where I-am-a-thief-not-a-robber- Lukman, happened to snag a copy after a near accident. Said biker arrived at Dunni’s house at the same time as Yemisi and Deardre with the package (invites). The question is why invitation cards on the day of the wedding?

2. The Date Debacle
When Yemisi and Deardre were making their way to Dunni’s room, they passed a guy carrying the wedding banner. The date on it was 23.03.16. Fast forward to the reception where Chief Felix Onwuka sent a message to “Small Chops” asking, “I thought I told you not to come?” The date on the message read Sunday, 10 July, 2016. I know, the devil is in the details.

3. Best Man’s Shirt
This may actually be in keeping with Ikechukwu’s character, “Shola”, who was portrayed as an irresponsible person, but his shirt was not ironed, biko. It looked like he slept in it the night before. It was an eyesore, because that scene was a close up and the shirt just covered the whole screen.

4. Staged
Tinu’s friends’ delivery of the line “We will show her up. She will know” was more suited for stage than for camera-is-shooting-now-now kind of movie. Likewise BamBam’s Yoruba accented English. The scene where he arrives to serve the ladies the drinks could, frankly, have been left out. Apart from the fact that Ali Baba’s performance was painful to watch and cringe-worthy most times, the Obas he reeled out, who were to be in attendance, did not appear anywhere in the movie. Also, the double (sl)tap he was about to give Obianuju on her back after Felix announced he would be taking a back seat in FINLAK Industries to spend more time with his wife, was unbelievable. Thankfully, the camera cut him off as it was about to land. I understand that he was to come off as the typical loud Yoruba man, but he should have just sniggered or something. That tap alone almost took away from the poignancy of the moment and destroyed the scene.

5. Faceless Friends
“Uju, you still look beautiful” whoever delivered that line must be a ghost because we did not see the speaker’s face throughout the conversation; although, one could in later scenes identify her (if one was looking to check).
Ireti Doyle’s classic stare and icy demeanour, in response to the statement, would have been a tragedy to miss. Her execution was beautiful. That look alone introduced us to Obianuju and taught us everything about her character. However, the camera should have given the utterer required face time.

6. Three Is a Crowd
When Yemisi and Deardre were haranguing Dunni over her wedding night attire, there were two girls seated on the bed and then there were three in the same scene. Also, the girls behind Yemisi, when they stood to catch Dunni’s bouquet changed twice, even though it was still the same scene. Continuity, people!

7. Time Travellers
The camera pans the church, showing there are people waiting for the Cokers’ arrival. It’s unfortunate that Harrison, who happens to be driving Dunni to church, is also seen seated at the church waiting for her arrival too.

8. Changing Faces
The guests at the high table changed with almost every scene. Right from when the Onwuka’s were dancing in, to when Tinu got up to look for her daughter. It was a festival of faces.

9. Slip-pers
When Obianuju excused herself from the table to go and look for the others, we heard her say “Excuse me.” The camera was on her face but her lips did not move. Same thing at the church when BamBam and his family arrived and she said “Finally.” Her lips moved to form the word but no audio.

When she arrived at the room where the other were being held hostage, Obianuju, who was wearing a gold coloured shoe earlier, was seen wearing a pair of black/brown slippers. If at all there would be a scene where someone looks different, the transitioning, or a reason for it, should be shown as well. It is not also in keeping with the icy queen we met at the beginning of the movie. Ireti Doyle’s character would have worn those heels to thine kingdom come, even if it killed her.

Lastly, when mum and son were speaking on the corridor, Obianuju’s bra strap had slid down her left shoulder. It was a see through blouse, (at least the upper part of it) and was obvious. Again, not in keeping with the character and an overlooked or unnoticed wardrobe malfunction.

10. Some More Love
Considering Obianuju’s patent dislike of Dunni, I think the scene where Dunni and Dozie arrived back in the reception after the video debacle should have been drawn out and perhaps a few words exchanged between them. The movie did not spare us Obianuju’s vitriolic, calling her, among other things, a house girl from Ekiti state. Some words should have been spoken to Dunni directly, apart from what she said to the Cokers, to encourage a total acceptance of her into the family.

11. The Meeting of Eyes…
This one is just between us, sha. That look exchanged between the co-stars from 1:30:43 to 47 was not Duns looking at Dozie but Adesua looking at Banky W. That’s the only way I can explain the look. Notice the thumbs caressing as well from 1:31: 9-12. I’m not one to speculate and contribute to public pressure. ‘Nuff said. (Update: Well this article was drafted some time ago. Adesua and Banky W now are engaged!).

Well, let me leave it here. There were others, but I’ve said enough already. I believe most, if not all of these, could have been avoided if there was a Continuity Director. I noticed none was mentioned in the credits (except that position is called another name I have no knowledge of). All in all thanks to Kemi Adetiba et al for the laughs;

And yes, we are always “watching”.

Adios!

1. Lami

May 19, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Nice analogy even though some of us missed all the mentioned slip ups. Itwas a hilarious movie, sola and ireti did it for me.

• Tracey

May 19, 2017 at 2:03 pm

Yes indeed I noticed quite a few too! and I am not even as close as being a movie critic! Ha ha ! sure I guess it was one of those movies where the makers and even actors themselves don’t pay an exceptional attention to detail because at the time they weren’t expecting the movie would make as much rave as it finally did. I would like to believe their will be a difference in the 2nd one coming out.

Same scenario happened with the classic 1964 movie “The Sound of Music”. At the time of shooting it wasn’t thought to be a block buster movie that it eventually turned out to be (words from the actors themselves in recent interviews during their reunion a few years back).

Moral of the story: A movie worth doing is worth doing well even if at the time of shooting you weren’t anticipating it would be a block buster!

• Boss

May 19, 2017 at 4:17 pm

“l scoured the Internet thinking someone would have written about them, but did not find any. If at all there are any previous reviews like this, I apologize in advance that my service provider did not cover the location of said review (is that even possible). If there aren’t, well……….,”

where hv you been? My belly aches from lol

May 20, 2017 at 5:44 am

@Boss
      I been here o. No time to even ghost, sef ( read without commenting) but I’ll be checking in more frequently…
      I’m glad I made you laugh. I laughed too when I was writing this…

2. Uloma

May 19, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Well done – I totally enjoyed this write up. I think you critique movies very well. This is much better than I could have ever done and I thought I was good. Really nice!

May 20, 2017 at 5:46 am

Wow! Thank you. I feel really honoured that you think that way.

3. Reni

May 19, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Very good attention to detail. I almost want to watch again just to spot the errors. Particularly liked the date one….it was like the Omoni Obolis, Okafors Law, Blossom was supposed to be on a phone conversation yet we could see the name and screensaver on his apple phone displaying the time and date to show the phone wasnt actually in use

4. Moyo

May 19, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Bobosteke, your head is dia jo, didn’t notice the slips though, editing issues I guess

May 20, 2017 at 5:48 am

@ Moyo, thank you, ?.

5. viv

May 19, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Great critique! I enjoyed reading this.

6. Ama

May 19, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. I guess you also have a good sense of humour. By the way sha, your name reminds me of Bobrisky, I had to check a few times to be sure s/he didn’t write it.

7. BUSOLA

May 19, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Well put Bobosteke. I only noticed a part of ”6” when I watched the movie, as supposed brides use close friends for their bridesmaids and everybody gets to mingle even if they only just met. The two other girls were just at the scene like props, no interactions with the other girls, no involvement what so ever when Dunni locked herself up not even gestures.
    I think Ali Baba did well as an actor though, rather there was just something ”off” about RMD’s voice at the scene where he excused himself from breakfast saying he lost his appetite or something, I don’t know if it’s just me but it came off like he sang his lines at the time.
    The Biker and the I.V on the morning of the d-day too get as e be.
    Kudos to Kemi Adetiba all the same, not many known directors could have done a quarter of what she did..

May 20, 2017 at 5:56 am

I honestly felt sorry for those girls. The fact that they were extras and unknown faces did not mean they should have been abandoned in the script. They looked like they were watching the party from the “other yard” and gossiping about it.

There should have been some interactions between them and the main cast, just as there was among Dozie and his groomsmen. The two guys were given only a line each to say throughout the movie but they made up for it with very great facial expressions that made you know notice them. The girls on the other hand did not even have a chance. You pitied them too much to notice if they offered any great acting.

• loma

May 22, 2017 at 1:07 pm

yes…wedding church programme delivered on the day of the wedding is more believable

8. o

May 19, 2017 at 1:50 pm

I didn’t notice a lot of what you mentioned, but saying Baba Dunni’s acting was cringe worthy is a big understatement. A lot of the actors fell flat when delivering their lines​. Sola Sobowale single handedly made that movie. Then Ireti Doyle, RMD, the caterer and even Zainab did very well. All the others??? Blehhhhhh

However, what I like about Mo is that her packaging and hyping of her movies is ????.
    She will so hype it, you’ll be queuing to buy tickets eg Fifty and WP. She can package snow and sell to the Eskimos

• Naina

May 19, 2017 at 3:43 pm

I swear. all na packaging. The movie was just blehh. The buzz was the best thing for the movie. I don’t get how your side chic will have access to your home and wedding invite just like that. Or the fact that the wedding was of prominent Nigerians, who are supposedly rich but their wedding hall wasn’t tasteful. I mean….
      Or how did Dunni pay for her Taxi without her phone? Or was it the asoebi of the guests?
      I wasn’t wowed after watching the movie.

9. Halima

May 19, 2017 at 2:01 pm

The other two brides maid were just there! that scene was a big failure! personally, I feel the movie is over hyped. Ali baba is not a fantastic actor.

10. Oshe

May 19, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Yesssss! Finally someone is talking about this. There were so many things that didn’t make sense in the film. I was disappointed that with all the hype about this film, people didn’t really question how disjointed some parts were. For example, at the end when the brother who hadn’t been paying Deardre ( By the way,who thought this name was a good idea?) any attention all day kissed her, I was so confused. Like did I miss something? And the whole thing about the wrong flash drive, seriously, it’s 2017, who uses a flash drive to store a video? Kemi, who is really intelligent and who I absolutely love, disappointed me sha by allowing these scenes to happen.

May 20, 2017 at 6:16 am

@oshe
      I actually pressed “reverse” on my phone to see if I missed something. That kiss was a gaffe. It should not have happened. Lets not even talk about the scene when he was cameraing when when she was dancing, she came back ti her seat and he wanted to show her, only it was his screen saver she was looking at.

Directors have to learn not to be afraid. You need to learn to trust your audience and know when to kill the urge to do more and more. We watch trailers and we notice that some scenes have been cut when we watch the full movie. Case in point “The Walk” and “Superman vs. Batman. Nuff said.

Subtlety is very powerful when making a movie, especially as it differs so greatly from stage drama where you have to put it all there. In stage plays, the audience is the voyeur and even made to know more about the story than the actors themselves before all the scenes come through. In movies, however, the camera becomes a very powerful tool. The voyeur is still there, yes, but you get to decide what they should see in every scene and there lies the challenge: the temptation to tell it all.

Respect to Kemi Adetiba.

11. Nv

May 19, 2017 at 2:16 pm

I was ready to roll my eyes and say, “The Wedding Party again, shebi it done pass?”
    But I really enjoyed this ‘informal’ review. I love your sense of humour. And you must have eagle eyes, how you take see bra straps and slippers. I did notice that ‘Excuse me’ non lips movement slip.

As for Ali Baba, I feel ashamed to say I have never watched his stand up comedy(before my time) so am not very familiar with him, only in name and a couple of interviews. As a result, I didn’t really fund his acting as faulty as many people did. I really enjoyed his chemistry with his Sola Sobowale, they were a hilarious couple who still loved each other and it was very believable (but that may be Sobowale’s doing).

I also didn’t like the arc of the white friend and Dozie’s bro. I know he started paying attention after the food and dance scene. But how did we go from barely a ‘hello, excuse me please’ to a full romcom ending kiss? Receipts pls.

That’s it. I didn’t really think I was looking forward to the part two but I’m curious to see what the story line would be. I want more Somkele, there wasn’t enough of her. Plus I want to believe that a lot of the flaws of part one(like characters lacking depth) will be corrected.

PS: Dozie’s father’s mistress was beautiful, papa get good eye. I loved Beverly Naya’s derisive smug, slow and cooish laughter. Seductive and utterly infuriating.

May 20, 2017 at 6:22 am

Na so me sef roll eye when I was writing the review. I kept asking myself if it was necessary. I held on to it for so long, I almost didn’t publish. I’m glad I did. It would have joined the line of regrets if things I should have done but didn’t.

Thank you for enjoying the read.

12. Fergio

May 19, 2017 at 2:35 pm

Not a die hard fan of the movie. It was alright. Having said that, this post was unnecessary. No movie is perfect, not even Hollywood movies, and sites like IMDB have sections on each movie’s page where the goofs are highlighted. Perhaps that’s where this should have gone, as well. It’s possibe that this writer was just looking for an opportunity to um… write something?

• zara

May 19, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Calm down ogbeni .it’s never that serious

• Debbie

May 19, 2017 at 4:33 pm

The post is not unnecessary. One of our problems as Nigerians is that we are averse to criticism, That is why someone will own a business and be acting like madam not knowing that they are providing a service to the customer. No customer patronage = no business!
      Even the best Hollywood movies are critiqued. Personally I enjoyed the movie and didn’t notice all the flaws the writer listed.

• Boss

May 19, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Get lost. Kill joy ??

May 20, 2017 at 6:35 am

@Fergio
      It would interest you to note that reputable dailies like the Washington Post, Times, The Telegragh also publish movie reviews.

A movie like The Wedding Party would never have featured on those hard to please pages because of the too may obvious mistakes mentioned here and elsewhere. Maybe only in the financial pages, though, when reporting the profits (which arguably, may be a reflection of our taste for finishing and quality).

This is our own. We own this. The good and the bad. We want to make it better, that why we write about it. Thank you.

• Pamela

May 20, 2017 at 8:46 am

Oh please! ?

13. funmilola

May 19, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Bobosteke, first of all where hast thou been?
    I agree totally with you, I particularly don’t like the way the other bridesmaids were mute in the movie and I didn’t understand why the invitation cards will be delivered on the wedding day gangan…..I hope part2 will be better.

14. Name change

May 19, 2017 at 2:43 pm

Deirdre not Deardre… sorry I couldn’t help but point that out.

May 20, 2017 at 5:41 am

Thank you @Name Change, though that was how it was spelt in the credits and in a google search for the cast.

15. Xplorenollywood.com

May 19, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Love this, overall i couldn’t even think of what to say about ‘The Wedding Party’! After watching at the premiere and then watching with colleagues. But i would love to have this eye that can spot those intricate details you mentioned as our editors and continuity are basically asleep for these things. Well done, i think you should give our music videos a try.

May 20, 2017 at 6:38 am

Music videos ke? Ha! You want me to have apoplexy of the heart.
      Hmmm…. but you are tempting me, you know…

16. Ada_ugo

May 19, 2017 at 3:16 pm

It’s a beautiful and colourful movie which I can watch over and over again. And I think it’s only because it is so good that we kept ruminating over it in our minds before identifying some inconsistencies. That is more than can be said for many Nollywood movies, so hats off to the cast and crew! With that said, these were the ones I noticed (bear in mind I am yet to finish watching the movie, so my apologies if these questions were answered later on):
    – We knew Dozie’s bestman, but who was Dunni’s bridesmaid?
    – At the reception, a Flavour song was playing in what was obviously Flavour’s voice, so why were they showing a Live band with “not-Flavour” singing?
    – The scene where Beverly Naya’s character waylays Dunni in the hallway, Beverley’s dress had a wine stain
    – Still on Beverly Naya, I thought the scene with her entrance into the house in the morning was totally inappropriate with the way RMD was checking her out, and with the camera’s focus on her dress/body. No Father should be looking at his son’s ex that way, biko.
    – After the Iya Alamala ati Gbegiri (sorry, I don’t remember her name) left in anger as the money used for food had run out, what was the consequence/impact of that? Did any guests go without food? We don’t know.

• Tee

May 20, 2017 at 3:25 am

Exactly, did she have more food and just stopped serving when ‘the money finished’ and how did she know when money finished? What would happen to the rest of the food?

Also, Dunno ran into the taxi in sneakers so why did the shoes the best man picked up at the beach change to heels.

They tried with the geles (yes, I check crap like that) given that it wasn’t shot in one day.

I really want to do this or subtitles for a living e.g if a book is in your left hand, it must stay in your left hand kinda stuff

We did see the swish of a bridesmaid coming into that scene but yes they could have been more involved as well as the groomsmen or brides friends.

How did the mistress or even exes get invites

Finally I really hated the robber subplot. It served no purpose but to preach against societal evils like our movies tend to. Neither was the pastor necessary. I can’t see that happening a some high society Naija wedding

But all in all, Kemi Adetiba did a stellar job. And a good number of the actors brought their a-game.

May 20, 2017 at 6:51 am

@Ada-ugo

There was a point i expunged in the article. I called it ” Rosie’s Magic”. All the wirings and tapings of her underwear stood out in stark relief under the fitted dress. My friend said that maybe it was meant to look that way, she being a seductress and all. I felt it was too much. I removed it as it was past the 1200 word count.

In fact, I thought she was “small chops” arrived with the look Chief was giving her. Wrong acting, wrong camera angle.

In a bid to incorporate all the trials and tribulations of a typical Nigerian wedding, the directors forgot context. I agree with you, how does food finish at a supposedly high society wedding?

Many of the songs played overlaid the actual songs sang at the venue. Although Ayefele’s song did feature, it was not in sync with what some of the guests were singing when the actual song was playing.

May 20, 2017 at 2:36 pm

@Tee
      True that. The Pastor’s hiss was unholy and not worthy of a man of the cloth.

The only scene Ikechukwu did well in was when he said “Let me be your best man”. He was believable. The others made me so nervous like I was responsible for him and hoped no one would notice his adrelinized performance.

Oyibo pepper was interpreted as vanilla essence in the subtitles. It was a hoot!

You seem to have the eyes too. Lets see how we can take this to the next level and become doyens of movie critiquing in Nigeria! We shall be feared! ( insert long evil laugh of Vandalusia in Scot Billy).

[email protected].

May 20, 2017 at 3:05 pm

@Tee

You are not alone. I counted the pleats on the gele, sef.

I don’t agree on the robber subplot being cliche. Or may be its just my interpretation of his inclusion for the following reasons:

1. Less privileged people often think the wealthy do not work for their money. That it just sits and grows by itself. This is not true. Lukman thought what all these type of boys did was post pictures on SM. Not minding the hard work that went into being able to sustain such a life style.

Even if you have money, you still want to sustain it, else it would dry up. Look at Frank Onwuka disturbing Nonso on the day of the wedding about clearing some goods. The pressure is even worse because you don’t want to be the subject of gossip in your circle.

The scene shed light on that twisted conception.

2. Lukman said he graduated with a first class from the university, yet there was no intelligence in his character to identify same. The larger picture here would be that this was a reflection on our educational system. And what he studying for God’s sake that took seven years? Oh yes, strikes…

So no; it did not shed light on societal ills stricto sensu, it was more like looking the world through 2 different eyes but seeing different things and how this can be a source of conflict.

17. Grace

May 19, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Am I the only one who doesn’t like Adesua’s acting? She is always Adesuwa in her roles- the naive, good, pretty girl. A good actress should be able to make you forget her name as she takes on the chraracter and gives it life.

I guess maybe personally Adesuwa’s personality is one I don’t like that whole naive, good girl, sweetheart, I’m a church girl but I’ll still date a bad boy is one I personally don’t like.

Abeg this is no beef or hate oh but if I come across a hater, feel free to let me know

• forbisi

May 19, 2017 at 4:31 pm

you are right about Adesua, well, that’s Nigerian producers for you, always fond of telecasting actors. she is not a bad actress, neither is she a superb one. she should try and diversify, Probably look out to play if not a bad girl, lets see her play roles like a bush girl, a serious/business executive, a mother, a gossip….. just something else! fans will appreciate her better.

• Nikki

May 19, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Absolutely right you are. She’s not fluid, just flat. When you keep acting the same roles in every movie, it eventually becomes boring. Genevieve is another example…*yawn*
      Anyways, blame the film producers.

• Debbie

May 19, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Sorry but this sounds like beef – “guess maybe personally Adesuwa’s personality is one I don’t like that whole naive, good girl, sweetheart”. How do you know that she’s whole and all of those things? Seems to me that you are jumping to a whole lot of conclusion!

May 20, 2017 at 7:06 am

@forbisi
      While I may agree with you on the typecasting you have to believe its not a Nigerian challenge. Its quite global. Liz Taylor, Morgan Freeman, Sophia Vergara have all been terribly typecasted in their careers.

• forbisi

May 24, 2017 at 2:39 pm

@bobosteke, True, and thanks for the correction. I actually meant typecast

18. ynnon

May 19, 2017 at 3:38 pm

My own is that for such a high society wedding, the wedding hall was not bigger than a boys quarter living room. We have seen how those weddings are on BN.

I have to give a sharat to King Adetiba she worked the hell out of the resources provided.

• Tee

May 20, 2017 at 3:27 am

Gbam

You don’t show the exterior of ChristChurch Cathedral and then the inside isn’t grand

May 20, 2017 at 7:06 am

Whoop whoop! She sure dis!

May 20, 2017 at 7:07 am

*did*

19. Adeola

May 19, 2017 at 3:51 pm

the constructive criticism is spot on.
    I did note some of them but would still give it up to the comic reliefs. Not sure am enthusiastic about the part 2 as the buzz is in my face and I can now almost predict what it would look like.I do hope for the best as Kemi is one producer to look out for,
    fingers crossed….

20. vincent

May 19, 2017 at 4:33 pm

who is this continuity goat! lmao. still saw well over 5 times and recently on a laptop. will see again and again. waiting on TWP2 well done to the team!

21. forbisi

May 19, 2017 at 4:45 pm

funny yet interesting write up. no.7 made me laugh out loud! how can the driver taking the bride to church be seen among the wedding guests waiting? the producers probably didn’t wan to pay for more extras. i actually didn’t notice any of these, probably because i was busy looking out/waiting for the wow factor to come. The movie is really over hyped. it is a commercial success like someone stated, it really fell below my expectations, just burst of colours and excitement and merry making, no solid story line. but the fact that it was meant to be a romantic comedy was well achieved..
    but one thing i noticed was that AY’s voice as the MC was not recorded at the venue, it was done elsewhere;.no background noise. But i told myself i probably noticed that cos o was using earphones.

22. appy

May 19, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Seems like i am the only one that hadn’t watched TWP,i am not sure i will enjoy it. i have never enjoyed any over hyped movie…that said……..Bobosteke,where have you been babe? i have missed you,and Mz SA,Jane mama Saffy and Tosin…..Idak,Iyke….where are you guys hiding now?or do you have new monikers?
    BN has become something else..,so uninteresting….

May 20, 2017 at 7:09 am

@appy

I been here o. How you been? The other girls only come out to play once in a while. Its so sad. We used to have such a romp?.

May 20, 2017 at 7:13 am

@appy

The devil is a liar which kain emoticon be dis? That was not what I tapped *sad face* and this is what came up on BN. See im red face sef. Red Devils. Ha! ha! Don’t come for me o. We are still united in Manchester.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

May 21, 2017 at 2:32 am

Nne, we still dey try show ??

And you should see it, if nothing else at least to appreciate the enjoyable comic delivery that Sola Shobowale brings to the movie. ?

23. "changing moniker"

May 19, 2017 at 8:12 pm

If Sola Sobowale wasn’t on the Wedding party, it wouldn’t have been a movie to talk about.
    I like Kemi Adetiba, but I think it was over hyped.

As for Adesuwa, she’s not that good an actress but she tries her best.

Ivie Okujaye on the the hand……. chai! That lady can act!!!!

• Tee

May 20, 2017 at 3:32 am

Sola Sobowale carried the movie and after her big dance in once the plot moved on from her antics, it became clear to the audience

Miss Adetiba did a great job, in my opinion ni oh

Also, I sort of feel that exact opposite when it comes to Ivie and Adesua. Weird, no?

• Anonymous

May 20, 2017 at 3:53 am

Ivie is just okay, over acts at times it becomes irritating, and almost always the same character (long suffering girl, nice girl, naive girl)

24. Deb

May 19, 2017 at 8:55 pm

When i finally watched the wedding party on my phone, my first thought was Thank GOD I don’t pay yo watch it. The scene where the other brides maid in the room where somkelee and one other were talking about the night dress made me feel very uncomfortable and sorry for the them

25. Mark

May 19, 2017 at 9:45 pm

aunty mo

hope after this you will lay off the superficial bullshit and give as a movie that depicts africa proper – cos the depiction of lifestyle in your movies are way too fake for my liking . only 1% of nigeria lives like that.

Too much fakeness – From ebonylife tv (esp moments with mo host) , to your movie 50 , etc etc

Nigerians be yourself an stop emulating the west in everything.

Pretenders.

26. Corolla

May 19, 2017 at 11:33 pm

I noticed practically everything highlighted here. Continuity sucked, and was no better than the typical nollywood movie. Like someone pointed above, the wedding hall was crap for a high-class society wedding. Ali Baba’s acting was horrid, but Sola Sobowale made up for it. The buzz definitely was what made the movie, and the fact that the used “ajebo” actors. Hopefully part 2 comes out on Netflix too, cos I am not wasting my money to see it.

27. Tee

May 20, 2017 at 4:19 am

Good write up! I couldn’t help but notice some flaws too. For starts, I thought Ikechukwu tried too hard, his acting wasn’t real and somehow it got me nervous cos I could tell he was acting. Good acting is meant to make the audience lost in the scene. I felt uncomfortable about the other bridesmaids in the room too. Then for Pete’s sake a Nigerian bride running out of her wedding party is so UNREAL…chai! She be white girl? Besides the guests sitting and patiently waiting for the bride to come back is so unreal. Trust 9ja people na, there would be drama or some guests will get up and leave. I also got confused where the white girl and Dozie’s brother started dancing and loving up all of a sudden after giving her the cold shoulder all through, I was like “hold up, did I miss something?”. Then the church…hmmm….that is my family church . The scene of the church shot from the outside is not the same as the scene of the church shot from the inside. Overall colourful movie but I wasn’t wowed!

28. appy

May 20, 2017 at 8:09 am

@Bobosteke,me sef shock when i see devil face o,lol. Thank God you are good. hope to see you around some more. kizzez.

29. Farfetched

May 20, 2017 at 10:06 am

Many people here have pointed out the things that irked me as well

The usb drive in 2017

The invitations delivered on the day of the wedding

The gbegiri eating white girl who stole dozies brothers heart with her gbegiri eating ways and her efik dance moves(and she actually said THIS IS MY JAM)the fact that the only thing impressive about her was her naijaness says alot.

I Couldn’t understand why dunnis mum said nothing but ‘e mi’ when dozie’s mum said something along the lines of ‘my son has been kidnapped by your useless daughter’ WHERE DOES THAT HAPPEN? If they are really trying to depict Nigerian parents then that comment wouldn’t have gone down that easily especially as mama dunni is supposed to be a bush woman.

Then when dunni gets in a cab(without money) and heads to some beachfront, that whole scene was just so unrealistic!
    ‘Its our favourite place in the world’? COME ON! This is naija and i know they were meant to be rich kids but who goes to the beach at night o! that was just ridiculous please.

The movie was unrealistic and i know movies are supposed to make us escape but they missed the mark biko

This comment somehow turned into a rant lol, but i had to get it off my chest, thanks to the writer for pointing out these and i hope the second part will be better although there isnt much hope for that as i don’t think part 2 is even necessary.

May 20, 2017 at 10:36 am

In fact, eh, i expected her to have pulled the gele off her head and tied it around her waist in a typical fight pose. I kept waiting for it and thought, is that all, when it didn’t show up. They should not have been afraid to have a fight scene.

That fire burning beach scene was quite contrived. She could have gone to a karaoke bar, or even back to her room in her parents house. I mean she made fire at the beach in the night? Girl must have some serious Ultimate Search survival skills, mehn.

30. Marian

May 20, 2017 at 5:37 pm

OMG!!!! I do this everytime i watch a Nigerian movie. Just saw a really good one where the lead actress had the same nail design throughout the entire movie. They can just like to pay people like us to pay attention to minor details like that.

31. Dotty

May 20, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Just want to educate those that are happy they didn’t spend money to watch the movie. They are glad they watched it online or on their phones as the movie had a lot of flaws. Of course you spent money watching the movie! There is no way you could have watched the movie without using your data.You used money to buy the data to watch the film and your service provider pays the owners of the film a certain agreed percentage. I am not sure if You Tube pays as well. So you think others will go to cinema house to pay to watch while you watch free! Even if you download the film you still need data to do this and your service provider be it Airtel, Glo, MTN have to pay the owners of the movie you download.

32. molarah

May 20, 2017 at 11:59 pm

This was a great read but unfortunately, as with many other articles on BN, the comments section has allowed the green-eyed ones to emerge from their hiding places. If you no fit give constructive review, abeg waka. Yes, we agree this film had serious continuity issues, but if you have any understanding of theatre or dramatic techniques, you’ll know why the robber sub-plot was necessary. And yes, weddings of members of high-society do hold in cramped locations. And yes, its Nigeria, sometimes food runs out at those high-society weddings. Those points don’t take anything away from the credibility of the film. Let’s learn to be objective when providing criticism.

33. Mz Socially Awkward....

May 21, 2017 at 2:27 am

??? You this geh, you’ve come again with your “werey”. ?

These things need to be said, especially now that we’re exporting movies to be featured at international film festivals. In fact, why am I speaking as if we Nigerians, by our own selves, don’t deserve to watch properly edited movies?

Hopefully, the persons who need to read these critical reviews are taking them in good stead.

34. NR

May 21, 2017 at 2:38 am

Hahaha you have a great eye! I felt like I was rewatching the movie through your review… which I loved. 🙂

35. Oluchi

May 21, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Finally, I get to see a detailed review. I hope Kemi and Mo see this. Nice one by the way.

36. Anonymous

May 21, 2017 at 7:35 pm

@Bobosteke – noice!!!

37. Ayo Al

May 22, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Beautiful write-up. You are great!

38. Tolu

May 22, 2017 at 3:35 pm

@Bobsteke, thank you for this. I was disappointed when I watched TWP, am glad I never made it to the cinema. Adesuwa’s acting was so forced , Banky W shouldn’t be an actor, he can’t act to save his life. so many gaffes. hope they improve