Features

Akpo Uyeh: Here is Why I Stopped Watching Telemundos

Turning on the television,  after partaking in rigorous house chores, the first station that came on was showing Telemundo. Without thinking twice, I changed the channel to watch news instead.

So why did I do that with immediate alacrity? This is a tale of once bitten, twice shy. So far, Telemundos have not been able to ‘help my condition’,  rather they made me have a false sense of the real world.

It all started when boo and I were having serious issues threatening our relationship. Ever since, it had been lovey dovey all the way, especially when we started dating. Then some months down the line, our relationship took some new twists and the arguments and quarrels started creeping in, gradually. Determined to make our relationship work,  knowing that we are two imperfect different individuals, we resorted to sorting our differences amicably without letting it linger onto the next day no matter what.

However, all hell was let loose when I saw a different side of boo that I had never seen. We had a major quarrel and for the first time, I saw him flare up. The cool, calm, collected guy I knew, was gone. He was deeply pained. I’m still trying to recollect what went wrong though,  but I do know things went out of hand.

At that point, our relationship was threatened. What did I do? It was not like I was totally at fault, but the more I tried to make him see his own faults too and see things from my own perspective, the more he became defensive and found it more offensive.

A day after, we didn’t talk. We were waiting for the first person to reach out to the other. Okay, so I sat down and thought things through, I had to swallow my pride and apologise even though I knew he had also offended me too.

I dressed up and went to visit him in his house. I had already mapped out what I was going to do and it was largely influenced by what I watched on television. Then, after watching a scene from one of the current Telemundos airing at that time,  I thought I could apply the same strategy learnt.

This is what happened. The lady in the Telemundo, who  had offended her man, was able to appease him with sex. Going to her man’s house, she was dressed to kill as she sought to make amends. The next thing she did was to try to manipulate him with tears and guess what? It worked. It didn’t end there, she walked out on him crying, saying that if he wanted her no more, she would be fine.

That is how in this Telemundo, the guy pursued her into the streets, not minding onlookers watching them stage an ‘entertaining’  drama for their view, he begged her to come back, pleading that he didn’t want her to leave his life, kneeling down and all that. With all that show of love and desire, they made up just like that and the next thing, they landed on the bed!

So I thought I could act that out with boo when we had issues. Omo, boo didn’t fall for my tears, first of all. He kept explaining and hammering on what he considered I did wrong. I left his presence in annoyance, thinking he would run after me to come back. I walked and walked on the streets expecting him to run after me like the guy in Telemundo, only to turn back to see nobody was coming after me except a corn seller,  who was running to sell corn to a customer in a moving vehicle! Just imagine? It took serious prayer and fasting, plus the intervention of our mentor for boo and I to let go and carry on.

I thought I was the only one who Telemundo affected negatively until Sunday morning, during sermon, the preacher who was speaking on relationships, said that Telemundo also ‘showed him pepper’. According to him, these television series made him have the wrong expectations and perceptions of marriage.

Having watched an episode that a couple made up by passionate love making after a serious quarrel, he thought that he could apply that to his household. Then, he was newly married,and he was so eager to have his first quarrel to experience what he saw on Telemundo. So he waited for the first fight with his wife thinking that he would just grab her and plant a kiss on her lips and from there they would move to passionate love making and forget their heated argument just like that! In fact, it was not as easy as he envisaged; their quarrel was further exacerbated, and what Telemundo painted was very far from what he experienced. It was a different ball game entirely. In fact he had to resort to other tested and proven methods of resolving conflicts to save his marriage.

With that experience, now, I belong to the class of women who would never bother spending their time watching Telemundo series. This is because of the unrealistic expectations they have created in my mind. Instead, I would engage myself watching something else educative or funny and not something that gives me a unrealistic expectation about marriage and relationships because what they act, does not happen in the real world.

Photo Credit: © Photographerlondon | Dreamstime

Akpo Uyeh is a witty Blogger| Freelance writer| Geo-Journalist. A Sunshine lover. Music  enthusiast. She blogs via Òmòté Rò Dhé

1. Mamamia

October 24, 2017 at 4:36 am

The corn seller part got me! ?
    This ur write up get as e be sha. The problem with our generation is that we do too much, first, are you married? I am guessing no. And u want to use acrobatic love making skills to kill him. I think we have more women looking for husbands than we do men, making the saying “he who finds a wife has found a good thing more like he who finds a husband” your youthful years should be your selfish ones dedicated to God and to him only. The man go chase you tire when he sees you are chasing God and not him. Kai! It is well.

October 25, 2017 at 11:33 pm

Haba! I didn’t think that far, only planned to use girl power charm, that’s all! I am not an advocate of premeditated sex. However, you made some salient points like dedication to God, thanks, its noted….

October 25, 2017 at 11:34 pm

*premarital

2. Curious

October 24, 2017 at 4:42 am

I watch TV to escape reality but once the TV goes off I’m back to the real world… no carry over. I stop watching a genre/market usually when I have watched too many that they all become the same story line. Indian, Korean, Chinese, Taiwanese, Yoruba, British period dramas…. when I’ve over watched one I switch to the next. Telemundos are just too long for me to bear.

October 25, 2017 at 11:36 pm

Whatever tickles your fancy. TV influences me a great deal, I’m very mindful of what I watch. Thanks for dropping by

3. ajankolokolo

October 24, 2017 at 8:46 am

I don’t watch Tv. i can’t remember the last time i watch tv. When i’m not busy, i’m streaming real movies or meeting with friends.

• tiwo

October 24, 2017 at 12:41 pm

you say you watch “real streaming movies” but that is still watching TV. The difference is you’re watching it on your laptop or maybe smartphone not a 49″ TV

October 25, 2017 at 11:37 pm

Different strokes for different folks?
      Thanks for taking time to read my writeup

October 25, 2017 at 11:39 pm

Different strokes for different folks
      Thanks for your time

4. Ifeoluwa

October 24, 2017 at 9:33 am

Hi Akpo, thanks for been real. Good write up.

October 25, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Awwww…… Really appreciate positive feedback
      Thanks Ifeoluwa, I try to stay real, it’s much easier

5. Jane

October 24, 2017 at 10:55 am

If you want to have a false sense of reality, go and watch telemundo. Those guys romanticize everything. Go and check their real lives, its a mess. Of it works so well then why doesn’t it work for them?)9

October 25, 2017 at 11:41 pm

As in… My thoughts exactly, Jane. Thanks

6. Jane

October 24, 2017 at 11:08 am

The only way to live a great life and get all you want is by following God’s rules, principles which is found in is word, and judging by what you say, it doesn’t look like you did

October 25, 2017 at 11:42 pm

Was naive then,now I know better. Experience has a way of making us do things better.

7. Deeeva

October 24, 2017 at 11:11 am

Here’s why people need to understand that in a relationship, sex does not solve all issues. Certain media has succeeded in making people think sex is everything in a relationship( be it marriage or not) but reality is that it goes beyond sex. I personally love a good romance book or movie ( avid mills n boon/harlequin reader back in the day) but I never let it creep into my reality. I need not remind myself that it is all fiction!!

October 25, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Way to go! Having it at the back of one’s mind that it is all a lie, would help solve issues

8. Deee

October 24, 2017 at 1:47 pm

I have this dislike for telemundo. Apart from the unrealistic acting, I just can’t deal with storyline. The last soap opera I remember watching well Was ‘secrets of the sand’, any other I tried watching just irked me and I stopped watching.
    Nice write up, funny too

October 25, 2017 at 11:45 pm

Thanks Deee. Glad I made you laugh and also made some sense

9. iLKY

October 24, 2017 at 2:52 pm

I’m sorry but if you can’t separate telemundo from reality, then you are quite immature. Discouraging people from watching a station they like because you lack self control is selfish and imposing. I have watched them all, telemundo, filipino telenovelas, indian, etc, and I have never for once believed in that bullstory. I’m reallly tired of people trying to dampen the excitement others derive from watching it. Live and let live biko.

October 25, 2017 at 11:47 pm

It’s a free world. I was just scribbling my experience. We are product of our choices

10. Matilda

October 24, 2017 at 7:09 pm

That’s the big truth. They always give s false sense of reality. Heightens our expectations and when it is not met , we feel bad, so for me both Zee world and the rest , I am not watching

October 25, 2017 at 11:48 pm

Cool…. That makes the two of us then?

11. Akpo Uyeh