Features

BN Beauty presents “Ask Hilary”: Got Skincare & Makeup Concerns? We’ve got the answers!

BellaNaija Style

Hello, BellaNaijarians! Hilary Rodriguez-Taiwo is one of our BN Beauty contributors that will be starting a new series called Ask Hilary on BN Beauty.

The Cosmetic Scientist will be taking questions from BNers twice a month, (depending on how often she receives the questions) and she will answer them on BN Beauty.

How to Ask

Ask Hilary all your beauty questions by leaving your comments and concerns in the comments section of each ASK HILARY post!

Click here to view all Hilary’s posts.

Heard of our new BN Style site? Click here to connect with us and follow us on Instagram with @bellanaijastyle.

1. fancynancy

October 5, 2017 at 4:06 pm

I have extremely oily skin,like you can literally fry plantain on my nose. I have tried different primers, stretch mark cream as primer, milk of magnesia which makes my skin look patchy and white , nothing works. its frustrating, kindly recommend a good primer . thanks

• Gerry

October 5, 2017 at 4:15 pm

This is so me. I have spent heavily on foundations and primers yet no long lasting result especially my nose. I recently tried ponds vanishing cream same ol. MOM blocks my pores and leaves me with white heads. I am super tired. I will also like recommendation on a good sunscreen for black skin. Thank you

• Ephi

October 5, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Sorry to jump in here, but why not try addressing the issue rather than using a primer to cover it. I would suggest aloe vera juice as a toner for a period of time, and also weekly facial masks. The natural astringent properties of aloe vera absorb excess oil, sebum and dirt from the skin pores. I have been using it for months now and it’s been really good.

• Zeeeebby

October 5, 2017 at 5:20 pm

I had the same experience, I added coal face soaps to my skincare items. they help control oily skin

• Patty boo

October 5, 2017 at 11:51 pm

I think to ask hillary a question you have to go through on of her channels, Bella is just advertising those channels.
      so hillary may not answer you #sipsTEA#

• Laolu

October 6, 2017 at 1:32 am

@Ephi, you are very correct. I had same problem and battled with it for years. Tried all sorts but did not help, instead it kept getting worse. The only reason I know that Ephi is correct was cause I got a similar advice when I had a free online skin care consultation with a medical skin specialist. Check online especially. I think there are several of them. Just make sure they are trusted ones. I got mine on instagram on a page called @goodskinguru. I tried their daizaura powdered mask products and it really controlled my oil and cleared up my face too. Check them out or any other trusted company. its amazing the information available online. You can get help at your fingertips. I use daizaura brand simply cause I trust them

2. Funmilola

October 5, 2017 at 5:36 pm

What is activated charcoal?

3. Uberhaute looks

October 5, 2017 at 8:24 pm

My suggestion is to go for skin consultation but for the mean time, how’s your skin care regimen like? Do you cleanse and double cleanse? Do you scrub, mask, tone and moisturise? Etc

• Ej

October 5, 2017 at 10:20 pm

I have never done this, sometimes I do the natural stuffs from online, i have never had a facial, do u think I should get one and do u know any good ad affordable one thanks.

4. Uberhaute looks

October 5, 2017 at 11:26 pm

Ej, your sebum gland is over compensating and that’s why it produces too much oil.
    Currently, I have same skin type as yourself but due to personal treatment, I can boast of a normal skin now.
    I use Beauty Treat scrub 3 times a week,
    Queen Helen Mud masque 1nce a week,
    Johnson’s cleanser everyday
    Boots Glycerin to tone every night before bed
    Mac fix+ to hydrate every morning
    St. Ives Timeless Skin to moisturise every other day.
    (You can pick your own choice products but please go through the ingredient contents so as to know you are getting the right stuff)
    *avoid products with alcohol content or tea tree because they tend to dry out the skin and you’ll over compensate and produce more oil.
    *use products with bha (beta hydroxy acid) such as salicylic acid is very good for oily skin.
    *you can research more.
    #peace

• Ej

October 6, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Thanks so much

5. Diidii

October 12, 2017 at 8:02 am

Hi hilary. I’m getting really concious of this. I have tinea versicolor on my back, I’ve used anti fungal tropical creams like Funbact A and Skineal but I’m not sure i see a difference. I searched online for better ways and suggestions included selbum shampoo or head and shoulders. The selbum shampoo is pretty expensive for me presently so I’m thinking of using the gead and shoulders, do you advice this? I really just want a fast, simple and cheap regimen cuz I’ve ignored this for too long and it’s spreading to my bum.

Please advise. Thank you