Features

Men Who Can Cook Are Just Better

BellaNaija Features

Cooking is one job which tradition insists on pinning to the apron of women. Although times have changed, and most of the top chefs in the world are men, you still find a number of guys looking to only marry women who can cook. Fortunately, women have started to toe the same line as well.

Today, when searching for the right man, they not only look out for the man with the steady job, nice car, and apartment, good looks and sense of humor. They include on the list: “ability to cook”. And with good reason.

Men who can cook are just better.

It may sound preposterous, but there are solid reasons why a man who can tell the difference between Ewedu leaves and Ugu leaves is a better choice for a woman than one who can’t be bothered with such.

Firstly, a man who can cook suggests good upbringing and this is important as the background has a huge impact on a man’s character;  it also influences how he relates with and treats others, in the long run. He is not one of those men raised with male entitlement. He got his share of kitchen time and like his sisters, was groomed to be humble, patient and nurturing…a gentleman.

Learning how to cook requires a measure of patience and attention to detail. If he is the type to consciously take on the process of making a meal, chances are he is patient and that will definitely transcend to his relationship with women: he will have the patience to understand a woman and treat her right.
In fact, the woman in his life should expect to be pampered always, as he would be the kind of guy who would know how to really treat a lady. Breakfast in bed is actually possible; surprise romantic dinners at this apartment can be a reality; when you are sick, you are not worried because you know he is capable – he will by your side to properly take care of you and cook whatever your feeble tastebuds require. And the cherry on top? He will be organized and methodical in almost everything he does. He will hardly be the type to keep things untidy. Practice from washing up while and after cooking has taught him more than enough. He will be a good cleaner too. Yay!

Perhaps the most solid reason why men who can cook are better than those who can’t, is that fact that they are better in the sack. Think about it, if he knows his way around a kitchen, guaranteed he knows his way around a bedroom … and he can handle your anatomy with perfection too.

Like sex, cooking is a performance art. They both are about using the right ingredients and skills – such as knowing how to set the right temperature/atmosphere, knowing what tools to use and when e.t.c as a means to please others. Again, cooking is a multi-disciplinary skill that requires a lot of time, creativity and effort to get it right. The sort of person who has that disciplined mindset will definitely apply it in the bedroom to ensure you reach satisfaction.

Being with a man who can cook is a far better option for any woman, as there is a higher probability the relationship will last. Men who cook are much more sensitive, they communicate better, are generous, always willing to try again and resilient. Cooking requires a lot of sensitivity: you have to be sensitive to the quantity of salt, water, and even the heat used in cooking otherwise you make a mess of the meal, likewise he applies the same sensitivity to the woman. He is sensitive to her needs, her desires, her mood and whatever pleases her the most…and that is a solid recipe to a lasting relationship with any woman.He is also more generous when he is making the budget for house-keeping, because he knows what cooking entails, understands the need for good ingredients and has genuine respect/love for the art.

Finally, a man who can cook is the man you can actually brag about. What wife doesn’t want to say to her friends: “Ah, my husband does let me enter the kitchen oh, he likes to cook for me and the children”? A man who cooks is a source of pride for the wife and that ensure she enjoys the relationship more. Sure, not every man who can cook can actually cook something worth bragging about, but the effort counts a whole lot.

Can you think of other reasons why a man who cooks is just better?

Photo Credit: © Christopher Halloran | Dreamstime

1. hmmmm

October 29, 2017 at 7:46 am

Nonsense,I have noticed that men who cook for their wives ( expecially in Nigeria), their marriages do not last no matter how romantic it may seem at first. I know many of them here in lagos. Women have been cooking from time immemorial does that mean every woman is a good and a sensitive woman,NO. Some men knowing how to cook does not in any way make them good husbands(I know women like telling themselves that). It is just like saying men who loves and care for their mothers will know how to treat their wives better,that theory is a lie and a myth. I wish we women will stop reading and listening to every advice from every dick and harry and just focus on your family bcos at the end of the day , it just the two of you. Everything you need is already programmed into you by the almighty. My husband does not know the way to the kitchen or bring food to my bed so that I could brag to my friends but I won’t trade him for anything.

• bii

October 29, 2017 at 10:35 am

Can you cook?

• Loool

October 29, 2017 at 2:58 pm

What works for you may not work for others, and vice versa. Some have husbands who cook and are happy with it. You don’t have to knock their choices just because it’s different to yours. Live and let live.

2. Jesu

October 29, 2017 at 10:49 am

God Almighty bless you for that comment. You are a REAL woman.

3. john

October 29, 2017 at 12:07 pm

@hmmm….I was about to comment in my usual fashion ..but when I read ur comment ..I was shocked to my bone marrow..still cant believe it..so their is still some sensible black women in Nigeria..who can reason soundly and logically and between the lines…Now I understand why female intelligence is celebrated bcos it is very rare and u my dear is rare indeed. I envy ur husband right now….but get ready bcos femtards , embittered dried up husks who having lost on everything life has to offer and with their flabby, cellulite-ridden legs are coming for you to justify their stupidity and misery and convince other women to follow dia lonely lost n ultimately unfulfilling path!!!!

• Honestina

October 29, 2017 at 4:11 pm

I was expecting your comment and as usual you didn’t disappoint. Lol. Oh john, what can we do about your case??? I guess its about time we accept you as the BN patriarch and move on .BTW, your comments make me laugh every time.

• AceOfSpades

October 29, 2017 at 6:47 pm

John Na wah for you o. Do you ever think you’d have a daughter and she might have cellulite and all? Take it easy na.

4. bodunade

October 29, 2017 at 1:25 pm

Oh John ! You had me laughing.. Chinua Achebe 1 with your vivid misogynistic descriptions.
    Brotherly, sometimes cool-aid.

5. The Real Oma

October 29, 2017 at 2:38 pm

I don’t know about making good husbands but there’s something very sweet about a man who know his way around a kitchen.

6. Nelly

October 29, 2017 at 7:16 pm

@hmmm i quite agree with you, just like my husband,he does not know the way to the kitchen or serve me breakfast in bed but i can proudly say, in my next world(if there is anything like that) i will marry him over and over again.
    I have this friend in the US, everytime she will snap one funny looking food or snack and send to me via whatsapp telling me that her hubby made it for the family. I always tell her my hubby does not cook for me but i cant trade him for anything because he is everything i asked God in a husband. I keep wondering why she sends me a picture of what her hubby prepared,is she trying to make me feel jealous or what. Some women shaaaaa.

• anon

October 29, 2017 at 7:49 pm

maybe she’s your friend and she’s just showing you out of happiness. Sounds like you’re the one trying to prove something to yourself, going as far as bringing up breakfast in bed. She didn’t say her husband is better, she’s just happy that he’s trying in the kitchen which is unlike most Nigerian men care to do, leaving the brunt of all the kitchen work on the woman who also brings and spends money on the family

7. Kuali

October 29, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Hmmm I know what my mum went thru growing up cos of a dad dat wants fresh food everyday with 8kids to cater for, a dad that can’t even boil water, so I made-up my mind that my man must known how to cook, I never saw d trait in him as it was kinda a long distance relationship, but I marred an amazing cook, his mum had a restauran, so as d first son he is well grounded in kitchen affairs not just cooking but going to the market n buying all dat he needs, if am out of town I am happy cos i know d kids will be well fed, his own am sorry is cooking for d family for at least two days. how else will I celebrate a man who will cook three different soups n put in freezer when he is travelling cos his pregnant wife is not feeling well????? he runs a successful biz but his family is 1st…….

8. teekay

October 29, 2017 at 9:01 pm

I don’t like men that can cook………

9. The real dee

October 30, 2017 at 2:44 am

No! You see what you really need is a man who can change diapers. Any man who can change diapers, especially those poopy diapers that can transform the Air wick Hawaiian fragrance of your house to a dumpster, is the best husband

All these requirements sef!?