Features

Correcting the Child or Child Abuse? There’s No Justification for the Emotional Trauma

People’s excuse for the continuation of something is often because it has always been done. But does “it has always been done” make it right?

Activist Bukky Shonibare, on Twitter shared  two videos of a teacher named flogging students Government Science School, Nasarawa Eggon, Nasarawa State.

He’s flogging the students, children, with a cable, before an assembly of other students from the school, while the school principal watches on.

The truth is that a grown man beating children is bad enough on its own terms. That it is with a cable makes it worse. It should be unacceptable in any society. It is abuse.

Of course, being Nigerians in Nigeria, the Twitter thread is rife with proponents of the act.

We endured this while we were in school, too, they have said. It made us stronger. It is a method of discipline. It corrects.

Comments like those are rich though, coming from Nigerians. Have we looked at our society? Does it seem like one made up of well-adjusted, disciplined people?

That we are a people who believe that to physically abuse children is to correct them isn’t indicative of a well-adjusted society. Because are we really well adjusted?

Is there anyone who looks back at the teachers or seniors who abused us with fondness and gratitude? Is it not with contempt, along with a bad taste in our tongues, that we look back?

Violence never corrects. Violence only breeds trauma.

And, yeah, there are people who will say, “So am I no longer allowed to beat my children?”

Errr, well, if beating your children involves them lying on the cold floor while you stand over them and swing a cable forcefully at their backs, then maybe not.

See the videos of the teacher beating the students below:

1. keke driver

January 16, 2018 at 4:35 pm

This is unacceptable, how do you flog kids like this? Haba are they Animals??? this one will kill his wife at home o see him beating these students with all the strength in him.

God help the teacher that would touch my child, it’s only God that will save you.. Eranko

2. ann

January 16, 2018 at 4:36 pm

I couldn’t watch it all. This is too much!

• mz_titilitious

January 17, 2018 at 10:24 am

really? smh… so many ajebo on here lmao 😀

3. Yinka

January 16, 2018 at 4:59 pm

This is just too much!! There must be some other ways to discipline these kids. I hope these teachers don’t end up killing a student!!!!

4. Xplorenollywood.com

January 16, 2018 at 5:05 pm

While this was a routine in my secondary school growing up, i swear i never, never really got it! To the extent, it was a trend to accept or should i say chest it! This in no way made me what i am, making me hardening so my teachers wont see me cry, yes! but that it shaped me, i doubt it pretty much! Punishment, such as cutting grass, washing toilets, packing pots after meals, washing clothes and cleaning the dormitory was much more feared than flogging back in secondary school and i am all for that! However, it seems it has become easier for teachers to just flog! I agree kids can be a handful but the teacher that would flog my child, hmmmm, maybe i will be mute for that time to happen.

5. Ola

January 16, 2018 at 5:25 pm

Even though this was common place when I was in boarding school in the 80s/90s I cringed while watching this video. As human beings, we should have evolved in all aspects of our lives. For me as a mother, this is an unacceptable way to discipline kids in 2018. This is very in humane.

6. Fizzy

January 16, 2018 at 5:28 pm

Even when we say it’s wrong for parents to go to their wards schools to beat up teachers, me, if you flog my child like this, I will organise for you to hv your brain reset to factory setting right there at the assembly. What the F**K????

7. Nahum

January 16, 2018 at 5:42 pm

This is barbaric plain and simple. Child abuse has not helped to mold Nigerians as you can see from our “thriving” society (sarcasm)

8. Physio Tinu

January 16, 2018 at 6:07 pm

This was normal for us born in the 80’s and growing up in the 90’s. But watching it in 2018 feels wrong.
    A grown man using full strength to whip kids more so female girls…its all shades of wrong.

9. Mz_Danielz

January 16, 2018 at 7:04 pm

All ex commandos stand up. I remember my days in command and the worst part is you were expected to chest it. I didn’t feel abused sha.

• Bolanle

January 16, 2018 at 9:50 pm

I wonder if you’ll feel differently if it’s a child of yours.

• Mz_Danielz

January 17, 2018 at 7:13 am

@ Bolanle, I’m not in support of it just reminiscing on my command days. The world has changed a lot since then.

10. June

January 16, 2018 at 7:05 pm

This is so de- humanizing .!!! I hope they are stripped of their posts. But then again – this is Nigeria. No teacher should have the right to touch any child .

11. x-factor

January 16, 2018 at 7:25 pm

This is simply Man’s inhumanity to another man

12. Cocolette

January 16, 2018 at 7:28 pm

I do not oppose ‘spanking’ a child but this is too much. If this teacher is flogged this same way by another person, I swear he would weep. While watching it, I was just wishing a student would collect the cable and flog the wicked man

13. James

January 16, 2018 at 9:19 pm

God please forgive me because even though this just wrong, I’m literally laughing out loud :’D It reminds me of my secondary school days and the different dances and facial expressions from students. Oh lawd!!! Good times, good times. On a more serious note sha, this is effed up and needs to stop. Ahaha!

14. John

January 16, 2018 at 9:39 pm

Only in a s—ole country..s—hole school with s—hole teachers churning out s—hole students..s—hole circle continues

15. Babiegal

January 16, 2018 at 9:39 pm

Of all the things that worry Nigerian students – hunger, poverty, NEPA, lack of access to healthcare, to textbooks and to good life, it will now be one miserable teacher pouring his frustrations on them through cane. In 2018!! You won’t realize how barbaric this is until you live in the abroad and see that you don’t dare beat a dog, as in no animal is ever reduced to this. Then you realize how most Nigerians live below the standards of human dignity. So dehumanizing! WIsh her parents pull her from that school or someone offers her a scholarship! Please let’s find her name and start a GOFund me for scholarship, medical bills, therapy and damages.

16. Mrs chidukane

January 17, 2018 at 1:44 am

I literally cringed. This has to stop. You dare not beat my child like this. You dare not. My kids school don’t do corporal punishment thank God. This has got to stop. Give them grass to cut, extra homework, stay behind to assist the teacher, or even plot to farm. This is stupid and unproductive.

• Cheeksi

January 17, 2018 at 3:51 am

Even that grass cutting has to stop. Especially with cutlass and hoe. In 2018!! Why do blacks enjoy suffering and slavery?? When their mates are designing iphone 11, how will grass help their IQ??

• Mrs chidukane

January 17, 2018 at 5:03 pm

My dear, its preferable to this. We are still in Nigeria. Till we get to that level, we have to use what is around us. The grass is there. It won’t cut itself.

17. Me Too

January 17, 2018 at 2:44 am

Nigeria just realized this is abuse? They just received sense after flogging has been the norm for over a decade. Thank God for these ones, last last sense has come to save them. Truth be told, going by oyinbo’s understanding and definition of abuse, Nigerian kids are abused, and before you come for me understand my comment well and I am using the word “abuse” loosely not specifically.

18. Temi Tope

January 17, 2018 at 3:24 am

JESUS…!!! AND THOSE ADULTS WATCHING…
    HEY…OH YA… S—HOLE COUNTRIES.. THOSE STEALING OUR FUNDS.. ARE THE ONES WHO DESERVE THESE WHIPS…

19. uzo

January 17, 2018 at 10:12 am

This is highly wrong.if parents begin to speak out then there might be changes.I recently had a conversation with a parent in my son’s school and she was of the opinion that kids should be flogged.mind you we are talking about nursery/primary school.I made it clear before enrolling my kid that under no circumstance should he be flogged.I speak to him regularly asking if he is been beaten.if anyone tries that then they’ll have to answer to me.it’s barbarism.

20. mz_titilitious

January 17, 2018 at 10:23 am

uh? how many strokes just 2-3? and you guys are complaining? this is lil compared to the many strokes i chop in school…. moreover i dont see this as too much.

• Bade

January 17, 2018 at 11:27 am

That’s why today you’re a dumb b**&ch posting s#*t on Bellanaija instead of being a creator, inventor, or other positive contributor to society. You’ve been conditioned to believe you have no dignity – just like the slave masters did to the African American slaves. Open your eyes.

• abby

January 17, 2018 at 1:27 pm

That is why you turn out the way you did na..in the process of disciplining you they disciplined out the good part of your brain too.. you have a fundamental problem if you watched this and it seems okay to you, you need to get yourself checked asap..the trauma you went through is affecting you badly!!i hope you get the help you need.

21. Sharon

January 17, 2018 at 10:38 am

In no way defending this video but charity they say begins at home. What do you as parents teach your children and how do you correct them? I did NYSC in Nigeria and had to teach a primary school. The attitude and blatant entitlement of these young lads was cringe worthy.

22. Della

January 17, 2018 at 2:12 pm

Good morning Bellanaija. This is just not right. That’s my own. Haba. See those girls now, look at them. Some permanent marks will be left on their skin for life. I read a thread talking about this issue on twitter from a lady. Her handle is @theonyinye. It made too much sense. I think you people should check it out and share it here. It talks about this issue and children vividly. Who knows how many schools are doing worse things especially military schools. This is child abuse and it must stop!

23. Ady

January 17, 2018 at 11:46 pm

In my high school (a fed govt. school, we had 2 sergents as they were called who were employed to specifically whip our asses when we did aomething wrong and tou know it’s standard whooping as they were retried service men i guess, it is very wrong, there are other ways to discipline a child.

24. BishopTandO

January 18, 2018 at 1:04 am

In 2018? Ignorance is not an excuse …….. God WONT be able to help you if you put your hands on my child in any way not to talk to of this manner! Let’s see if any real consequences are handed down!