Features

Your Better Self with Akanna: My Top 10 Books So Far

Akanna Okeke

Akanna OkekeAt the beginning of the year, one of my readers made a request in the comments section, underneath my article: This Year, Do the ONE THING.

This comment was made by Tutu:

Meanwhile, can you do a post on your all time favourite books. Trying to build my 2018 list. Thank you.

I started taking personal growth and development seriously around September of 2015, and one of the personal growth activities which I’ve avidly participated in since then is reading books – books aimed at addressing crucial areas of life where we all need to develop in order to become better versions of ourselves.

It is from these books – the ones I’ve read so far – that I draw out this list of my top ten books.
I hope it’s not coming too late; after all we’re still well within the first quarter of 2018.

So, this article is dedicated to Tutu and all other readers who may want to build a book list for this year.  I hope that you find my recommendations helpful!

#10
More Than Enough by Dave Ramsey
This was my intro to Dave Ramsey, the personal finance guru. I remember getting all excited.  I thought I was the only one who had discovered this man.  I went about telling anyone I was in a discussion with about him.  I soon discovered that he had been around for a very long time, helping people with their finances – even through a ‘school’ called Financial Peace University – and I had to have been living under a rock not to have heard of him.

This book of his isn’t really directly focused on finances.  It is focused more on wholesome living – living through your values and vision – which is the foundation for having more than enough of everything in your life, including finances!

#9
Talent is Never Enough by John C. Maxwell
I like this book because it does the opposite of what society does, which is not to glorify talent over character.

Here, Maxwell teaches that merely having talent is never enough.  Many talented people fail to reach their potential because they think simply being talented will take them there.  And so they find that others, who are not as talented as they are, beat them at their own game.

This is because they’ve ignored the main ‘supporters’ of talent, such as: Belief which lifts talent; Passion which energizes talent; Initiative which activates talent; Focus which directs talent; Preparation which positions talent; Practice which sharpens talent; Character which protects talent; and about six other such values needed to guide talent onto reaching its full potential.

Very good read of a book!

#8
The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman
Need I say more about this book?  My last two articles were based on it.

First, it taught me that love is more a verb than a noun.  You have to speak it through your actions.  And those actions translate into the five love languages of: Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service, Receiving Gifts, Quality Time and Physical Touch.

And by the way, I owe you guys a big Thank You for the wonderful suggestions you gave me in the comments section of my last article: So, This is My Love Language”.

There were lots of helpful, practical tips which I intend to use in my relationship, all thanks to you guys!

#7
The Dream Giver by Bruce Wilkinson
This book is great for whenever you’re about to embark on a new venture – something you’ve never done before, but you feel really really called to do.

It helps you to navigate through the challenging times of starting a new venture and breaking through resistance – resistance even from those closest to you, who either do not understand what you’re doing or feel that their comfort zones are threatened by your mere attempt to step out of yours.

It tells a beautiful tale about a guy called “Ordinary” from the land of “Familiar”, who decided to embrace his ‘Big Dream’ and move away to pursue it.  But he was met with resistance from his uncle, mom, best friend and the invisible “Wall of Fear”.

#6
The Go-Giver by Bob Burg and John David Mann
This is a very simple, short, yet powerful read.  It explores the 5 laws of stratospheric success, which are the laws of: Value, Compensation, Influence, Authenticity and Receptivity.

To be truly successful, you have to understand how the world really works.  And it works based on these laws and principles of creating value, touching people’s lives, putting the interests of others first, being real and having the humility to stay open to receiving.

I did an article based on this book (here).  And I guess it was good enough to attract a comment from one of the book’s authors. So, go ahead and check it out!

#5
Boundaries by Henry Cloud and John Townsend
I think the whole of Nigeria should read this book.  Our culture (broadly speaking) is one that doesn’t respect the boundaries others.  We are way too much in other people’s businesses and that’s not a good thing at all.

This book teaches you how to set your own boundaries – saying NO when you ought to – and how to respect other people’s boundaries.

My article: “Three Things You Are Responsible For in Life” was inspired by this book.  Have a quick read!

#4
The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy
Two words for this book: EYE OPENER.

It shows you how your actions or inaction over time culminate into the situations you find yourself in today.  This concept is what is called the compound effect.

So, if instead of packing a lunch box to work, you decide to eat out every day at a very cheap canteen.  Well, after about five years, you don’t want to count how much money you’ve spent or could have saved.

Hardy teaches how to make major life changes over time through minor every day choices, because the compound effect is always at work and will make you seem like an overnight success when it hits its critical point, the same way it can make you seem like an overnight failure deserving of pity because “life was unfair” to you.

#3
How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
This is a classic and a must-read for all.
It’s important to learn how to relate with other people and make friends with them.  Nothing of great significance is ever achieved alone.  We all need people – friends – for such things and they aren’t always thinking along those lines of achieving such great significant things when we first meet them.  A lot of work has to go into winning them over to our way of thinking while remaining genuine and putting their interests first, before ours.

This book teaches how to effectively do that, and has been doing so for many years now.

My articles: 6 Ways to Make People Like You and How to Lose Friends & Not Influence Peoplewere inspired by this book. You may read them again, but you’re much better off reading – even studying – the book itself.

#2
The One Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
This was the focus of my first few articles this year.
I like the lesson here: Instead of changing a whole bunch of things in the name of New Year’s resolutions or setting goals, why don’t you focus on just one thing by asking yourself: What is the one thing I can focus on such that by doing it, all the other things will become easier or even unnecessary?”

In my article: “The ONE THING You Should Do, I suggest that you focus on personal development as your ‘one thing’ because “when you put yourself together, your whole world will fall into place.”

#1
The Tanach
Nothing fancy here, just the Hebrew Old Testament Bible.
The bible, in my opinion, is the best personal development book out there.  It teaches you the essence of human existence, which is to: connect, communicate, collaborate and create.  And it goes ahead to show you how to best do these.

It is highly misunderstood however, especially with the many attempts at translating it to the English language.  Reading the Hebrew-to-English translation makes a huge difference, even from the first page.

While we know the first line to read “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth”, this one reads “In the beginning of God’s creation of the heavens and the earth”.

Just pause and consider those two statements carefully and you’ll see that there’s a whole world of difference between them.

Since I don’t read Hebrew, I asked a Jewish rabbi to recommend an English translation close enough to the Hebrew.  He recommended the Tanach Stone Edition as a “good and accurate foundation for understanding God’s word.”

So, there you go! Those are my top 10 personal development books so far. The list will definitely change from time to time as I keep on learning and growing.

There are actually some that would have made the cut had I only finished reading them by now, such as Rabbi Daniel Lapin’sThou Shall Prosper: The Ten Commandments for Making Money, which is mind blowing and one book not to rush through, but to digest.

I’d have to update my list every once in a while – perhaps upon request from any of my readers – but until then, Tutu and other readers alike, I hope this helps!

1. Omoh

February 28, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Thank you Akanna, there is always a lot to learn from you. Gotta buy these books

February 28, 2018 at 3:56 pm

You’re very welcome Omoh! 🙂

2. Melanie

February 28, 2018 at 12:19 pm

Thank you so much for this… I was thinking of books to read this year…
    I have something to keep me busy this year… Thank you so much once again…

February 28, 2018 at 3:56 pm

My pleasure, Melanie! At your service 🙂

3. Baby gurl

February 28, 2018 at 12:28 pm

I am so embarrased that i have not read any of these books. And I thought I was a reader. I have Dale Carnegie’s “How to influence….” on my shelf though. I’ll start with that. And hunt for the rest. I can see you lean more towards non-fiction. Just like me. I have never finished a single fiction. Okay not since my Enid Blyton days in primary school. Lol.

February 28, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Don’t be embarrassed at all.. I’m sure there are many you’ve read that I haven’t.
      Yes I lean toward non-fiction. For fiction, I prefer movies, lol!

Yes you can definitely start with How to Win Friends. And you don’t have to go hunting for the rest – the links are right there. At your service ma’am 😉

4. Lol

February 28, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Does anyone recommend Malcolm Gladwell- the tipping point?

February 28, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Yes, I’ve read that – a little while ago though. I’d have to read it again before I recommend cause my brain wasn’t fully formed then lol (it requires a mature brain)

5. Nne

February 28, 2018 at 12:39 pm

THANKS A LOT

March 1, 2018 at 3:37 am

For sure, Nne!

6. Tutu

February 28, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Yaaaay!!! Awwwwwn! Thank you Akanna! You’re awesome! Been waiting on this post. Just in time as I’m finalizing my amazon order this week.

I’ve read a couple of them; 5 love languages is a classic! . Same as Dale Carnegie’s “How to Win Friends and Influence People”, I wouldn’t be overreaching if I said that book changed my life.

Talent is never enough and Boundaries!!! I’ve read it twice. Adding the others to my list now.

February 28, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Cool! I’m so glad the list helped you. You have very good taste with those that you’ve read already! wow!
      Enjoy and have a 2018 full of personal growth!!

7. SoniaPaloma

February 28, 2018 at 1:07 pm

I started with “How to Win Friends and Influence People” December last year but switched to “The rules of wealth” by Richard Templar (I will advice everyone to read this book, the step to step financial advice is very practical and will prompt you to get your finance in order and it is never too late to start now no matter how small you earn). Will continue with Dale’s book once done with Richard’s.
    Thanks for this list Akanna, I will definitely book mark this and get them as soon as i am done with the ones I have 🙂

February 28, 2018 at 4:03 pm

You’re welcome, Sonia. Hmm “The Rules of Wealth” sounds interesting!

8. Ephi

February 28, 2018 at 1:32 pm

This list is coming at the very right time! as I have been on the lookout for new books. The only one here I’ve read is the Dale Carnegie, such a rich book, I learnt a lot from it. Thanks Alanna for this list.

February 28, 2018 at 4:05 pm

You’re welcome Ephi. Yes, Carnegie’s book is a classic for sure! And it’s something to read from time to time since it offers very practical tips which we can easily forget.
      I hope you get some of them here, if not the rest and have a happy reading!! 🙂

9. Ephi

February 28, 2018 at 1:32 pm

*Akanna

10. GraceOfGOD

February 28, 2018 at 2:59 pm

@Akana Good day Sir. Just to say THANK YOU for this list. I will definitely Order some of them. May GOD Continue to inspire you, may HE bless and protect you in JESUS Name I prayed Amen. To the Rest, stay BLESSED 🙂

February 28, 2018 at 4:06 pm

Thanks so much for the prayer and blessings @GraceOfGOD! I really hope to continue to inspire others and help them grow even as I grow.
      You’re very welcome and may God bless you too! 🙂

11. Frida

February 28, 2018 at 4:39 pm

Two books that changed my life:
    1) 7 habits of highly effective people: I read this book at the age of 13 yrs. It shaped my life

2) how to stop worrying and start living by Dale Carnegie : read this book while in my early twenties, during this period I had to make a lot of life changing decisions and was sick with worry and anxiety that I’d make a mistake.

March 1, 2018 at 3:39 am

Ah 7 Habits is a good one. I listened to the audio book once while on a long flight. I’ll get to reading it soon..very practical and helpful!
      I’ve heard of How to Stop Worrying, but haven’t read it yet. I bet it’s a good one + it’s Dale Carnegie!

12. Funmilola

February 28, 2018 at 5:18 pm

See me here thinking I’ve read a lot of books, although mostly fiction…..now I know I just started.
    Thank you for sharing and let the search for these books begin….i pray I get hard copies sha

March 1, 2018 at 3:40 am

Lol! Funmi!! I’m sure you’re good in that department! I wish you a successful search with hard copies of course!! 🙂

13. Mee2

February 28, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Books I have read this year: Rework by Jason fried, the power of NOW by Eckart Toley, The subtle art of not giving a f*ck by Mark Manson. Life changing! Currently reading Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg, it is more of a female empowerment book but still a great read.

March 1, 2018 at 9:27 am

@Mee2 Great to see you’ve been busy this year already. Nice! A friend of mine just read Lean In. She told me about it. I’ve also heard about The Power of Now. Haven’t read any of your reads so I guess it’s good that you wrote in! Thanks!!

14. AHausaChickInToronto

February 28, 2018 at 8:23 pm

If you are an introvert, read the book “quiet” by Susan Cain. You would realize that you are capable of being a leader, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being an introvert and there are hints and tips on how to survive in these extremely extroverted world we live in.

P.S. Dale Carnegie’s book is a really good read.

March 1, 2018 at 9:24 am

Thanks a lot for that recommendation! I’m somewhat introverted 🙂
      And I agree with you on Carnegie!!

15. Mark

March 1, 2018 at 3:47 am

….just out of curiosity, plus this is me thinking out loud, DO YOU READ BOOKS WRITTEN BY WOMEN? Here are a few recommendations:
    1. Sallie Krawcreck – Own It.
    2. Ann Shoket – The Big Life.
    3. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie – Dear Ojewale.
    4. Ellen Pao – Reset: My Fight for Inclusion and Lasting Change.
    5. Eva Moskowitz – The Education of Eva Moskowitz: A Memoir.
    6. Luvvie Ajayi – I’m Judging You.
    7. Sarah Lacy – A Uterus Is a Feature, Not a Bug: The Working Woman’s Guide to Overthrowing the Patriarchy.
    8. Helen Keller – The Story of my Life.
    9. Emily Chang – Brotopia: Breaking Up the Boys’ Club of Silicon Valley.

*****Thank me later.*****

March 1, 2018 at 7:19 am

Hey Mark I do. I just finished “The Gifts of Imperfection” by Brené Brown. It was my book for the month of February. I didn’t know how I felt about it at the beginning but it grew on me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. You should check it out too.

I’ve also read most of Chimamanda’s work. Thanks for your recommendations!

16. Meee

March 1, 2018 at 8:09 am

Thanks Akanna for this. Great recommendations. Please who has read ´The purpose driven life?’

March 1, 2018 at 8:25 am

You’re welcome @Meee!
      I always thought The Purpose Driven Life was like a devotional. I haven’t read it.

• Chynwa

March 1, 2018 at 9:27 am

I’ve read it… and I have to agree that it’s very devotional-like. Good read nonetheless

17. Leesah

March 1, 2018 at 11:33 am

Please where can I get this books from, I seriously need to start reading @Akanna Okeke.

March 1, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Hey Leesah, I left the links to the books within each of the titles of my countdown. You can get them through the links. You may want to consider getting a Kindle so you can be purchasing ebooks instead of worrying about delivery to your home 🙂

18. Ada

March 1, 2018 at 4:29 pm

I have read Dale Carnegie’s books, Gary Chapman’s book on Love languages, Purpose driven Life.. These all shaped my life. I have 7 habits of highly effective people on my device, will dig in at the slightest chance. Is there a way to obtain free copies of these books by any chance? My finances are very low right now, but will love to read the books if I can

March 12, 2018 at 7:28 am

Hey Ada, i don’t know where you can get em for free- maybe borrow from a library or get the kindle app on your phone so you can buy ebooks for cheap?

But dig in to the 7 Habits. That’s a good one. I’ve only listened to the audio -not even completely- but I plan on reading it soon!

19. Ayo

March 10, 2018 at 5:43 pm

Thank you Akanna for being consistent.
    I believe this book list will help my journey to self development. . . In fact, I’ve started it with “5 Love Languages”, and I plan to follow through with it.

March 12, 2018 at 7:26 am

Good for you, Ayo! And you’re very welcome! 🙂

20. Rekia

May 8, 2018 at 6:38 pm

“The Untethered Soul” by Michael A Singer is a good read!