Features

Tosin Abiodun: We Can’t All Move To Canada

I’m sure by now you have noticed that there is a mass exodus of Nigerians to Canada. You probably know a few people who have recently relocated or are planning to relocate.  Perhaps as you are reading this article you also have one of your browser tabs open to www.canada.ca researching how to get a permanent residency permit. Got you!

Friends, colleagues, and acquaintances are selling all they own and packing up their entire lives to move to another country.  What is alarming is that a large number of those relocating are amongst the ‘well to do’ middle class of the society. They work in banks, oil companies, well-read professionals. By the average Nigerian economic indicators, you can say that they have no cause to abandon their motherland. But they are absolutely done with Nigeria.

The quest is understandable. It is borne out of the desire to give their children a better shot at life. A chance to thrive in a society where things are not dysfunctional. This is admirable, it is what any good parent will do.

Of course, the fact that so many people are relocating is probably higher due to the fact that is now easier to get a permanent residency in Canada legally. One doesn’t have to patronize middlemen or shady people to get it done. You sit at your desk and complete the process yourself, just be able to afford the cost it comes with and you’ll be on your way out of this mess and confusion we call Nigeria.

It’s a good thing. I cannot lie.

But come, let us reason this matter together.

So, as Nigerians, we have discovered this amazing escape from all our troubles. It is definitely nice to move to a land where they have sense, respect for order, cleanliness and where things finally work the way they are meant to.

An article I read about Canada describes Canadians as ‘ peaceful, organized, polite and helpful people’ they say please and thank you a lot and they are very orderly.

Which brings me to my point.

As a Nigerian are you a peaceful, organized, polite and helpful person? But you will magically become one when you move overseas abi?  So, bros you can be this peaceful and orderly? But I saw you driving one-way last month and you usually beat the red light when you think no one’s watching.

Sis, you are always pressing phone and ignoring customers when they come to buy stuff at the shop you work in? When customers talk to you, you respond so rudely. Is it because you don’t own the establishment and your madam only comes to check in once a week?

It’s always amazing when you see Nigerians abroad obeying rules and regulations of the country they are in.  They have incredible work ethic and respect for other people. They say please and thank you without being coerced. They absolutely do not get to work late even in -20c weather. They get an A for punctuality. Nigerian time only applies in Nigeria, where it is ok not to respect other people’s time.  Oh, and they drive well. They obey road traffic regulations and signs.

But how about here at home?

A country is only as good as its citizens and most of us Nigerians are far from being good citizens (myself included).

Part of the thrill of living in Nigeria is in the ability to game the system, to cheat each other, to disrespect law and order with arrogant impunity, Yorubas call ( Ta lo ma mu mi- Who will catch me). It is in the ability to say, do you know who I am? Who is your father? Who do you know?

The ‘anyhow ness’ that obtains in Nigeria is legendary. Entire books can be written about it.

But we are willing to permanently relocate to countries where you can’t try that nonsense. You like nice things but are you deserving of them? Canada is wonderful with wonderful citizens but are you a wonderful person?

It’s like people who don’t make their beds but when they see a freshly laid bed, that’s the one they want to sleep on.

It’s ok to blame our leaders but we are one and the same with them, no one wants to really make Nigeria work or take responsibility for the horrible state of things. Good countries have good systems and institutions which whip its citizens into shape. These institutions are made up of the countries citizens, not robots.

We are just as culpable as our leaders in creating this hot mess called Nigeria. We have all played our part in creating this monster we all want to run away from and what we reap today is what has been sowed in the past.

The solution still lies with us. We all need to play our part in the development of an orderly society. Teach others too, call out wrongdoings and show others the impact of their unruly behavior to the larger society.

Maybe one day we’ll be able to repair our country by our actions and become the kind of citizens from whom good leaders emerge.

The people of Canada did not import their leaders, they came from amongst them. They made their country work so people like you and I can desire to live and work there.

Anyway, since we can’t all move to Canada, I plead with you all as you move in droves, to be good ambassadors for those coming behind.

Safe Journey.

Photo Credit: © Syda Productions | Dreamstime.com

Tosin Abiodun is a communications strategist & entrepreneur. In her spare time, she writes advertising copy for small businesses. Follow her on Instagram @trulytosin.

1. Yettie

April 20, 2018 at 9:22 am

See you in canada when u decide to leave…???

2. SoniaPaloma

April 20, 2018 at 9:36 am

Nigerians love to over use opportunities till it becomes unusable lol. Soon they will close their border

• Lilo

April 20, 2018 at 2:31 pm

The same way Nollywood actors have rubbished Houston and Atlanta. Awon ebinna always flossing for the gram meanwhile they are riding uber from one county to another applying for food stamps and EBT cards…

• Author Unknown

April 20, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Please tell what overusing a legal opportunity means? You do realise that this is as much Canada’s opportunity as it is the Nigerian immigrant’s.

3. Jumawale

April 20, 2018 at 9:36 am

ITZ ALL ABOUT THE CAUCASIEN EMBRYO ! IF U ASK ANY BLACK WOMAN! STARTING WITH SERENA WILLIAMS!

AFRICA IS TROUBLE BUT THATS THE BEAUTY OF IT!

NIGERIA IS WILD AND FUN! I WUDNT WANT TO MOVE ONCE I BEEN THERE!

WE ALSO HAV A HUMONGOUS PROBLEM WITH THE WAY WE MANAGE OUR ETHNICITY!

MOST SO CALLED BLACK PEOPLE TODAY ARE FOREIGN ETHNICITIES WITH BROWN PAINT SPILLED ON EM! THEY BRING NEW FEELINGS AND ATTITUDES DISASSOCIATED WIT NYJA.

“THEY JUST LONG TO GET OUT!”

THEY JUST CANT STAND IT AND THEY EXPLOIT THER MEMBERSHIP PRIVELDGE TO PROMOTE THEIR ATTITUDES MOST ‘WILDLY’

BUT REAL AFRICANS WEY DEY FEEL THE SOIL, NO WANN SHIFT! TO LIVE AND DIE ONTOP OF MAMA AFRICA.

4. Toyin Phillips

April 20, 2018 at 9:44 am

lol…..Please ooo stay in Nigeria we that are interested would move.

5. Ceejay

April 20, 2018 at 9:52 am

Moving to canada would save me of been called a lazy Nigerian

• Fizzy

April 21, 2018 at 11:51 am

Lol. Your President is a Yahoo, Buhari be suffering from dimentia. You see what speaking unscripted causes?

6. John

April 20, 2018 at 9:55 am

Trust Nigerians. With the way they are rushing there ..it will soon cast like south africa…

The only saving grace is that most people allowed are well to do and professionals with families and young undergraduate students .For now it is still cool. .

7. John

April 20, 2018 at 10:05 am

you are so right.

I remember when when I was at Heathrow Airport coming back to Nigeria. I was watching everyone..They were all nice and respectfull with smile and cheers

but as soon as we entered Mutala muhammed Airport.

it was like another realm ..as soon as they open the the plane door ..I don’t know whether it was the heat stench that will “first of all “hit your nostrils or what or just the state of the airport ..

I just can’t tell where all the rudeness and rushing will come from. .then you meet the custom officials with their own wahala. Automatically, the condescending attitude will be back.

Everybody just dey behave like Zombies in the walking dead…..spits!!!

• Mama

April 20, 2018 at 10:11 am

The way some of you exaggerate things on this blog ehn, if I wasn’t Nigerian I would think the place was a complete wasteland. C’mon people!

• Leah

April 20, 2018 at 11:27 am

Imagine our John complaining about rudeness.

This same John? E gba mi

8. Luxury

April 20, 2018 at 10:08 am

So, i save my kids from growing up with that mentality as well and get them out! Its a sacrifice … and a sane one at that!!
    Friends that left when i was growing up are back …as expats. Great jobs, good living … not having a clue how hard its been to get to where we they left are at!
    I am in the same career as one, when he talks… i’m wowed! he went to a regular school abroad but Wow! again. Our depths are miles apart.
    Nigeria is not ready for the future and leaving my kids here means their future is dependent on Nigeria in a lot of ways. And i say NO to that!

P.S… My opinion

• Bukinho

April 20, 2018 at 7:24 pm

Like seriously? You were both on the same plane, they left and came back and they are now levels higher than you are?

• tunmi

April 21, 2018 at 10:55 pm

@Bukinho there is a difference and if you pay attention you’ll see it. Nigerians don’t encourage asking questions or offering differing opinions (even when politely stated). And people aren’t accountable or encouraged to be accountable. And then there’s the entitlement which is by way of being such a community-society but that hurts us as well.

• Wisdom

November 18, 2018 at 8:50 pm

On point!

9. Lolarae

April 20, 2018 at 10:19 am

Truth is I’m already processing my visa
    Nigeria is a s— hole
    My sander is 900k but my living condition stress is too much
    Nigeria is too tough and it’s unnecessary roughness

3hrs before getting to work damn !

• Lolarae

April 20, 2018 at 10:20 am

Salary**

• Mama

April 20, 2018 at 11:46 am

900k per month? God have mercy! It is well with you.

• Didi

April 20, 2018 at 9:04 pm

900K per month, I think that’s a good one. I hope you are not planning to leave your job oo. I have been living in Canada for almost 7 years now and I have seen the good, bad, and the UGLY. For me, I had a great transition from getting my LLM done to writing all my licensing exams to practice law here in Canada, and finally to working as a Lawyer. I have seen people from Nigeria with probably the same salary as yours, maybe even more who moved to Canada and they are sweating it out in Walmart and getting by on $11.75 per hour. It’s hard, tough and can be depressing. Of course, that does not suggest in any way that we don’t have Nigerians who are doing really well here but maybe that would be 2 in 10%. Truth is I won’t advise anyone with a good job and possibly a higher earning prospects in Nigeria to leave their job and board the next available flight to Canada. I am sure you have thought everything through, All the best with everything!!

• tunmi

April 21, 2018 at 10:57 pm

@Didi, money alone cannot guarantee you to live well in Nigeria. Afterall, you’re on the road with drivers who don’t abide by driving rules. You’re on the road with police officers who abuse their power (and with no accountability when that happens). You’re entrusting your health to overworked and underpaid health workers. And even high-brow areas have drainage issues.

10. Lisa

April 20, 2018 at 10:22 am

When you see the statistics Nigerians are not even up to quarter of Indians and other nationals moving to canada. I don’t blame anyone that wants to move jor. when in Rome act like the Romans. This country Nigeria is a HUGE Joke. I have a masters degree in Geology from a prestigious UK UNI and still no job after 5yrs. Or should we talk about the insecurity or the bad roads that have claimed lives. Let’s not even go there. Writer probably you are one of the ELITES in Nigeria that’s why you are talking like this. Thank God I had the opportunity to have my kids in america. Canada here I come!!! Bye Nigeria

• Anon

April 20, 2018 at 10:44 am

Thank you very much for your comment. I have lived in Canada 14+ years and if you compare the number of immigrants from India, China the Philippines and a number of other countries to Nigerians coming in, we do not even come close.

The world is a big place and sometimes, people need to do what is best for their personal careers and family. It doesn’t mean that Canada is heaven, my advice is always to have a global view of the world, live in multiple countries, stay plugged in to naija and see what impact you can have on the country.

Sometimes sitting down in the country doesn’t necessarily mean you are making it a better place. By moving to another country to earn FX doing the same kind of job or even less, means you can actually contribute more to your family back home or even a project.

Also the country is congested, job opportunity vs people is shrinking everyday. If some people can free up space and move out will even come rate more room for graduates or people with a required skill set to get a job.

Finally, always remember home and see what sort of opportunity/business/charity you can create to eventually add to doing our part of making Nigeria a better place.

11. Chynwa

April 20, 2018 at 11:03 am

12. THE MUMMY

April 20, 2018 at 11:04 am

All of you should go quickly, don’t even stop to carry your bags, America used visa lottery to suck your parents in to wash their toilets now it is canada’s turn to use you the children to sweep their tube stations, oh wait, abi you think you are going to their country to ‘lord it over’ their own citizens? ????? all their s—ty jobs are reserved for you lot, Egbera kia kia ke ma lo!!!

• Californiabawlar

April 20, 2018 at 11:27 am

Be deceiving yourself.

• wesley

April 20, 2018 at 12:05 pm

Don’t be so naive and incredulous. The world has changed. In statistics, there is a law that states that if you keep flipping a coin, at some point, you will get as many heads as tails. There are Nigerians that washed toilets in the states but there are many Nigerians that are doctors, lawyers, bankers, entrepreneurs, lecturers, etc… and they all came in that same boom. Besides, the world is now a small village. Professionals have certifications that are recognised all over the world, marketable skills are now easy to acquire, all thanks to the internet. Stop thinking like your uncle in the village.

I would never look down on anyone who wants to better his life. Obviously, count the cost(s), but do what’s best for you and your family. At some point, Nigeria will get its act together but I would not ask anyone to bet on it happening that soon. Read a book or a journal or something Ma.

• akama

April 20, 2018 at 12:06 pm

Migration is a natural thing that humans have always done. It’s your choice to stay behind, it’s their choice to leave. @THE MUMMY it sounds like it is really paining you sha.

• John

April 20, 2018 at 12:08 pm

You that is in Nigeria..what is Nigeria using your children to do?

It reminds me of one stupid guy I was having a conversation with… .he is from rivers. .he said thank God that the colonial masters didn’t discover oil on time or they won’t have left

and I am like you that have it in your backyard for many years…what have you and your government done with it.

The way black people reason self

If there is a next life ..I will hustle spiritually not to come back as as a black man talkless of a black woman.

A conservative or a moderate white man is my preference.

• Lolarae

April 20, 2018 at 12:23 pm

Lool st this illiterate that has not stepped foot outside Nigeria
      Better come and see diaspora excellence abroad
      The same Nigerians that will rule Nigeria in gifted I laugh at your ignorance

• Meme

April 20, 2018 at 12:31 pm

loool I wonder where people get this idea that all Nigerians abroad have petty jobs. Lool my parents moved abroad from Nigeria when i was 10 and even at that point he moved into a well paid job direct. FYI dad grew up in village but had excellent academics and pursued life like nothing. Even today I know cousins and friends who have applied for jobs abroad from Nigeria and have gotten it.
      I went to a meeting the other time at Morgan Stanley…see as my mouth opened when the whole place was full of Nigerians..left,right and centre..proper correct people. This is what happens when a nation undermines the skills within its people, another country will appreciate you. You are hot cake in the abroad if you are a hardworker. The same way there are cleaners in Nigeria is the same way there are cleaners abroad but that does not mean everyone is a cleaner.

Guys chase your dreams!!! if it is abroad, still chase it! the sky is your limit!

• OO

April 20, 2018 at 1:08 pm

Your ignorance is appalling

• Midday Cana

April 20, 2018 at 8:13 pm

Bad belle people!!!! Naija people sha with their nastiness….. anyway, hater are always gonna hate!

• Akinsete

April 21, 2018 at 5:01 pm

This is the dumbest statement I have ever heard in my whole life.

• Trudeau's babe

April 22, 2018 at 10:12 pm

Such ignorance…Chimamanda is washing toilets I guess…

13. mama zee

April 20, 2018 at 11:34 am

Well said sis! I FIND MYSELF ALSO LOOKING FOR WAYS TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY SO I DON’T FAULT THOSE THAT COULD LEAVE. I DON’T WANT TO CALL MY HOME A SHIT HOLE BUT IT RESEMBLES IT. GOD HELP US.

14. Proudly Nigerian

April 20, 2018 at 12:11 pm

Make una do quick abeg. Let’s know how many of us remain. Ipade wa bi oyin o.
    Some even says its God telling them to leave Nigeria but then tell lies to get asylum to Canada. God is not an author of confusion!

15. Dr.N

April 20, 2018 at 12:37 pm

As one of those often laughed at by friends for not having a desire to run away from Nigeria I expected so much more from this post. I thought the author would ignite our love for our nation by pointing out the few things that are still working and the things that with time will be fixed. Rather he/ she is also blaming people. This “It is you not the government” mantra is what has driven many away.
    Do better.
    (I do applaud your writing skills though).

• wesley

April 20, 2018 at 12:53 pm

Hear, hear!!! I honestly do not have a desire to leave Nigeria but I feel like I may have to tell myself the hard truth in the next few months. I’m at a pivotal point in my career that I could easily get stuck in a redundant place… If I were to get a job outside the country, for say, 10 or so years, it changes the whole playing field for me. I’m honestly wondering whether to make the jump. I want to hang on but like I said in an earlier response I posted, I may be betting on a change that is likely not to come that soon.

• TinTan

April 21, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Well,You’re right!However,we have blame the government long enough with no result, maybe just maybe we start blaming ourselves we’ll get better results.Not to lie sha Naija tire me too small

16. Mrs chidukane

April 20, 2018 at 1:10 pm

Mehn,I used to be a die hard Nigerian but not anymore. I’m looking to move to Europe and very soon. Looking at a good country that is not prone to natural disasters.

• californiabawlar

April 20, 2018 at 3:43 pm

All the unnatural disasters in Naija nko? lol
      I’m smack in the middle of nowhere US, for a few weeks it’s been wildfires, coming up next is tornado season. My best friend told me just yesterday that her mum was asking if I was fine cos she had seen my state in the news. Homegirl simply asked her why she was worried about somebody that survived Nigeria?
      Jokes aside, I love Nigeria, I love being in a place that (should be) is mine. I love being home. I love our seasons… the heat, the heavy rains, the harmattan…. everything. But does Nigeria love me back? Therein lies the reason I encourage people to migrate if they so wish… the Earth is the Lord’s and its fullness thereof.

• Puzzles

April 20, 2018 at 3:53 pm

I used to be a die-hard Nigerian too but these days, especially as my fellow colleagues are accepting really good offers in great countries, the USA is where i’m hoping for. But to be sincere, i’ll rather move there as a married skilled professional. I don’t want to move there still single. And no, my goal is not to look for a citizen to marry. Baba God, na your face i dey look.

17. Author Unknown

April 20, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Tosin. I’m not sure if your article was written out of an attempt at patriotism, or just a plain attack on emigrants, and would=be emigrants. Human beings would naturally do what they believe is best for them, and this includes moving to lands where they believe opportunity is better than their status quo. Perhaps the question you should be asking yourself is why these emigrants should want to stay. I hope you realise that advanced countries didn’t get where they are simply by just deciding to be patriotic and “stay home”. Their leaders guided them well. Incentives were put in place, and through successes and failures, they have managed to get where they are. Perhaps, your attack should be directed to the government, whom Nigerians have trusted and hoped for years would move us towards the promised land but have repeatedly disappointed. Remember too the years and years of military rule, so quite frankly, Nigerians have not had much of a choice in their leadership. I am not making excuses for our bad behaviour, but I think you hit the nail on the head (even though unintentionally, in my context) that Nigerians behaved differently abroad. The reason why things are orderly in those countries is because of enforcement of rules. Humans don’t just naturally choose to comply. If we think we can get away with selfish behaviour in Nigeria, of course we will. Foreigners that live in Nigeria sooner become as unlawful as Nigerians, no? Point is it’s not the people but the system, and it is not the average citizen’s job to create a system. Get it? Until then, yes, we will ALL move to Canada, visa permitting.

• Ovadje

April 20, 2018 at 10:48 pm

@Author Unknown, while I agree with what most of your post, the advance countries got where they are because of their CITIZENS! Leadership can only give direction at best, but it is ordinary CITIZENS (and increasingly immigrants) who built those countries.

18. Babym

April 20, 2018 at 3:40 pm

Loool this actually made me laugh and be sad at the same time lol. But writer think about it, if you want to be an upright citizen in Nigeria, u will die of frustration I swear ?. When everybody is pushing and jumping queues upandan u will now be d only one waiting in line??? When u r now late to work because u stayed in 3 hour traffic instead of driving one way to get to work quicker, ur boss will not applaud ur upright citizeness and pardon ur lateness o lol. Life is just too short. The frustration in Nigeria can kill. If anybody has any opportunity to grow in another country abeg go o. However please sha keep Naija in the back of your mind, see it as a temporary escape until we get our act together in Naija. Nobody can judge you.

19. Ummu

April 20, 2018 at 3:42 pm

I am one of those looking to migrate to canads and when the opportunity presents itself by God’s grace…I will gladly leave, at least to give my kids a solid foundation and option. Migration is normal…and if you think it’s only Nigerians that are moving ,na lie. Asians are moving in droves. I still believe we will get there in this country but until then…

• 9ja

April 20, 2018 at 10:52 pm

@Ummu, exactly bro/sis! We’ll just wait until those we left behind “get there” (assuming we have not left the inmates to run the asylum) and then we can all return to jollificate…lol!

20. omomo

April 20, 2018 at 4:14 pm

the comments make me sad tho

21. Anonymous

April 20, 2018 at 5:39 pm

I moved to Canada with my family a year ago and I can tell you that was the best decision. As Young professionals with 2 kids, My husband and I couldn’t make ends meet and decided to pack our bags and leave!! The first few months abroad were rough, trust me. I went for several interviews but for my accent and probably skin colour, got rejected. I persevered until I got a fantastic job in my line of career. Infact, the recruiting firm that placed me called me few days ago, asking if I was interested in another higher post and if no, I should refer a hardworking Nigerian like me to them. So, in essence, no one will want to leave their country for an alien one,, but you’ve got to weigh your options. I intend coming back to invest in my Naija. Till then, I pray we all fix our country.

22. Ovadje

April 20, 2018 at 6:38 pm

Thank you my sister. Nigeria’s condition is the cumulative result of the collective conduct of ALL Nigerians – by commission or omission!

BTW, some of comments here either ignore or just completely miss the reality that Nigeria is the foundation underlying the success of diaspora Nigerians – mores, respect for education, hard work, values, family, etc. Ultimately, however, one does not have to physically be in Nigeria to be ‘Nigerian’ (or to contribute to Nigeria). Good luck in whatever path folks choose.

23. Ese

April 20, 2018 at 7:12 pm

You don’t want to know the number of Indians and Chinese getting their PR invitation monthly. It is nothing compared to Nigerians.
    Then also why won’t Nigerians care less about the country when our leaders don’t even care a bit about it. I left Nigeria to give a better life for my kids. I had a good job but I got tired of third mainland bridge stress and the day I decide to take the eko bridge route, a young boy would break my windscreen and rob me. People have complained repeatedly about robbery on eko bridge but nothing has been done about it. How many things can I complain about.!
    Nigeria currently has plans for the politicians and their children so I and my hubby decided to leave to a country that I know there would be hope for us.
    Enuf said!

• Rikky

April 21, 2018 at 5:10 pm

Your plan seems fair. Good luck

24. Car rental Canada

April 20, 2018 at 9:59 pm

Approximately 250,000 people move to Canada each year. There are multiple paths to legally move to Canada and many people will qualify for at least one of them

25. Winnie

April 21, 2018 at 2:06 am

Wowza… just came across this post and haven’t been in this blog in ages. Some peeps are benefits tho. There are peeps here in Canada working excellent jobs with 2-3 homes to call their home. Unlike in Naija that someone can come claim your land after spending hard earned money to purchase it. I just moved to Canada with my family and so glad we did. Ahn ahn, the hardship in naija is too much Jare. “Na person wey no get money dey talk say beer bitter”

26. Bolawa

April 21, 2018 at 9:54 am

Firstly, Not all Nigerians are badly behaved. Esp not the kind of young professionals who are taking advantage of this legal structure for the PR. What do you say in a society that doesn’t even encourage good behaviours?
    People should not be attacked (with or without sarcasm) for wanting a better life/structure for their families. Patriotism is not driving 3hrs to work everyday and coming home to darkness even as an oil company worker. We only got 1 life please. #Yolo!

27. Stephanie

April 21, 2018 at 10:21 am

I think people are missing the point of what she’s saying. It’s not about migrating in general, it’s about the reason why. And let’s put aside prejudice and affront for a minute. Yes there is a problem with the system but there is also a problem with us as a people. Most probably it is a vicious cycle, the system has created a desperate monster but what is that monster doing to curb it’s wildness to not lose to the system? There are basic things we know are wrong, we cannot blame the system for or at least we should not exploit the flaw, but we do. Just because there’s no police at the checkpoint, you will reverse down a highway. You switched lanes, scratched someone’s car now she’s and ashewo that you apparently also have in your house. You will not download the form and apply, instead you will call ‘your guy’. You will say sir sir sir 50 times to the white man that just entered your shop not processing that there’s only one of him and 50 of Obi waiting for you to get your lips out the man’s ass and answer him. We don’t have regard for our own plain and simple. It is the crux of our situation. Politicians don’t feel we are worth accounting to, employers don’t feel we are worth paying for, businesses don’t feel we are worth servicing, men don’t feel we are worth their respect, youths don’t feel we are worth our experience/knowledge, yorubas don’t feel we are worth their intellect, where you’re going cannot be as important as where I’m going…it goes on and on the many ways our disregard for each other manifests. We all need to try, start with the monster inside, imagine if every single Nigerian decided to behave in accordance to the law regardless of whether or not it benefitted them. We don’t need a government for that, just us. That’s all I’m saying

28. Victory

April 21, 2018 at 10:51 am

I have read the post and also the comments. I think many people misunderstood the intent of the author. However, from my perspective the article is a call to Nigerians not only to uphold a worthy character and moral when in another country but to also imbibe and exude such virtues in our home country.

The post isn’t antagonistic I believe, it is a view of what true patriotism is. It isn’t about leaving or not leaving Nigeria, it is about being the same person with the same character and virtues whether you are home or abroad.

And as mentioned in the article, Nigeria wouldn’t become great by the efforts of foreigners but by our commitment to make a difference in our little way and capacity.

Thank you for putting pen to paper Tosin.

• Tosin Abiodun

April 23, 2018 at 7:10 pm

You are welcome Victory. I’m glad you liked it.

29. IQ

April 21, 2018 at 11:17 pm

By now we all know what the writer meant with the post. There was no barb directed at aspiring emigrants as far as I can tell. There was only the fact that Nigerians should be upright citizens in Nigeria as they would be abroad. This is fair. However like someone earlier posted, the sole reason that this cannot happen is…ENFORCEMENT!! As long as there are no penalties for wrongdoing ( in what ever form) and there is no accountability for our actions good or bad, Nigeria will never be a country to stay put in. Cuz no matter how hard you try to be upright, eventually you would sucked in to the flow of the way “things” really work. Wether it’s the “one way” takers, or the “my guy” syndrome, or the “ my papa brother” syndrome… will all come into play. This is the Nigeria we were born into. This one we know. The one we are trying so hard get away from since we can’t seem to get rid of it. I open my bedroom window that overlooks my backyard at home in Canada and I give a silent prayer of thanks to God that I’m out of the chaos and madness that was Agege. Now should I feel like a betrayer? Like I’m betraying my fatherland? Everyone is entitled to their opinions I agree. So someone would think that I shouldn’t feel this way. I shouldn’t be happy that I’m “outta” there. I should come back and make it work. Guy! I am just one person in 168,000,000 people perhaps more. What will one person whose moral values and good girl’ness’ do? In a system whose moral compass points south? A system that doesn’t have transparent enforcement of order, rule of law? I know change “starts” with me yada yada yada. I also know this and I’m not being pessimistic just factual that, that CHANGE that we so want badly, isn’t going to happen in my lifetime. I have made my peace with this. It will happen though … it MUST! but not in the foreseeable future.

30. Lady

April 22, 2018 at 1:21 am

I relocated to Canada earlier this year and I have absolutely no regrets. I have a job (only had to move a lower level) but the salary is better than what people 7 years ahead of me in 9ja were earning.
    Nigeria just stopped working for me. I basically lost hope. I realize since the day I was born I haven’t had one month uninterrupted power supply, water doesn’t run through my taps, I lived on “pure water” which was probably not pure. The only reason I had access to health care was because my mother was a nurse. I was “the leader of tomorrow” and now I have to tell the same lie to my children? How many people die on Lagos ibadan expressway every year? Do we have data? Is it my job to keep it? How many people commit suicide? Does any agency know? Are former colleague passed recently because a “top” hospital misdiagnosed his serious ail for typhoid. Who should be sued? How many women die at childbirth? Are statistics accurate? What is the price to pay for being a Nigerian?

Did you here about the Humboldt tragedy in Canada? About 15 people died. The nation stood still. As a new Nigerian immigrant I thought “life goes on”. But no, it doesn’t! The society made me pause to reflect, to think about it,to know the individuals -how they had dreams, and plans. The society mad me know their families were hurting.

I paused. And I wondered how many people had died in avoidable road accidents in all my years in Nigeria. I wept. As a Nigerian, I was gradually losing my humanity. And it was not my fault.
    As a Canadian PR, I am regaining it. The society is making sure.

• Trudeau's babe

April 22, 2018 at 10:13 pm

No mind them o jare……

• Arewa

April 23, 2018 at 9:34 pm

Thank you!!!!!! I have been in Canada for 3 months now, I have a job, the kids are well adjusted, I am happy and glowing. Most importantly, I am regaining my sanity and I have never been happier. Please let us stop guilt tripping people, if you need to move to Canada please do. It’s a sane, safe country where you will be respected and have peace of mind. Ofcourse as christians we know that only God gives true peace but the sort of peace you will have driving 4 hours home in lekki-ajah traffic is different from the sort of peace you will feel in the green park admiring God’s beautiful creation of the world, flowers and all therein in this beautiful spring weather.

31. Yomi lawal

April 22, 2018 at 3:06 pm

To be honest this issue of relocation is dicey and my best advice to anyone trying to relocate is to know if thats what u want and don’t move bcos pple ‘re moving .Please do ur research very well don’t just move bcos of light or traffic abeeg kemi adeosun , mo abudu moved to naija bcos they ‘ve vision dey just didn’t move bcos of snow or smaller roads in uk . Nigeria might be bad but where ‘re u in the Nigeria economy , ur age , ‘re u in a relevant field here that’s needed in canada .please don’t compare naija salary with canada salary bcos average cost mortgage in canada is around 350k cad so how long will it takes u to payback another 25 To 30yrs , canada tax is die .
    I tell pple if u have a well paying jobs in naija , pls relocation is not for u just go nd give birth to ur kids abroad to be honest, it’s for pple that ‘re unemployed or working with private firms that employers ‘re owing that salaries , no retirement benefit. I ‘ve seen pple that ‘ve gud jobs and relocated, they don’t enjoy it and deep down in their heart it just stress.
    Forget justification about why u moved, living inside -20 degree for the rest of ur life is not funny so calm down and please I am not saying canada is bad oooh before someone come to attack me here

32. Trudeau's babe

April 22, 2018 at 10:21 pm

No mind them o jare……

33. Trudeau's babe

April 22, 2018 at 10:23 pm

In as much as some are saying you don’t mean harm in your post , I believe you just wanted to just say something about people migrating to Canada…. no be today migration start

34. James

May 1, 2018 at 2:13 pm

For all those who have moved to Canada or are intending to do so, it would be nice to get a feedback on your experiences in another 10 or so years to know if you made the right decision.

The Western world is a very beautiful place, well organised and more so to a new immigrant who have just arrived. But with time, you will begin to see your place in the society. A black person is at the bottom of the economic and social ladder in virtually all Western democracies. You may make more than you did in Nigeria and a few will excel in their chosen field above the average citizen in whatever country you reside in but you will never have the same opportunities or accorded the same respect that are given to the native born Caucasian. You will constantly find yourself fighting a system that refuses to recognize your accomplishments and contribution to your new country or accord you that simple respect as a human being you’ve so often taken for granted in your native land but will fail.

So as you rush off to an unknown land, just know that it isn’t Eldorado. Also know that you have sold your birthright and should accept your place as a second class citizen in whatever country you move to for the sake of your sanity.

35. Anonymous

October 18, 2018 at 8:34 am

@James it is not true that black people are at the bottom of the western society’s economic and social ladder. It’s a lie. Nigerians are the single most educated group in America and have the highest household income. Google it. My husband and I were born and raised in Nigeria, got our first degrees from Ibadan. He was lucky he went abroad for his PhD and we met at a prestigious multinational in Nigeria. His best friend from childhood was murdered by a bus load of armed robbers off Opebi. They threw the 5 year old kid and smashed his head on the staircase. He died even though he had a gun and a huge pit bull. With my MBA, I got to work in blue chip companies and with his American degrees he did too. After his friend died, we started thinking of our children’s future.

One evening at 8pm, we were going to give a computer cd to a friend and we were robbed at the portion of 3rd mainland bridge where you can descend to ikorodu road. He is an upright Nigerian who had his actual home address on his drivers license, something not done or common in those days. They stripped us of everything including my eyeglasses and his wallet. I told him immediately “ they will come to the house”. The following morning I told the driver who drives my children to not take them home but bring them to my office as I had made a dental appointment with a very professional new dental place in VI at that time. Thank God.
    According to my maiguard, 5 men came to the house to look for us and he hid himself. Every morning they kept coming at different times and police thought they were assaying till we told them what we do and what had happened. We never slept in that house again. We all had multiple visas and we hurriedly sold what we could and gave out what we could not which given the short time was a lot. We tried to help law enforcement.. I paid N10,000 to police, they asked for more the second day. I cried to God in prayer city which was new at that time. I never wanted to live abroad. I traveled a lot on my job and was even supposed to go to Monaco the day we landed here with our B1 visa, 2 suitcases, and a Very Big Faithful God.. We posted our resumes on then active yahoo job site. Lo and behold, we got companies asking me if I wanted to sign up with them, they will sponsor our visas. Today we are all dual citizens with no magomago!

If your destiny is meant to prosper in Nigeria, you will know, stay there, I thought mine was until the series of events that moved our lives forward. My children got job offers even before graduation, my husband has a very good six figure job. I own my own practice employing other Americans. The truth is Nigerians lie to themselves a lot and religion is prospering in an inverse direction as the populace. Something is not right. Leave if you feel God wants you to leave. I was born and raised there but it’s not getting better. Everything I narrated was about 20 years ago. It’s worse now. Let’s be honest. I agree with the author. It’s not easy in the USA or Canada but go and retrain to get their own qualification and be ready to work very hard. There is no 25 public holidays like you have in Nigeria!

36. Anonymoud

October 18, 2018 at 9:09 am

@BN, where is my lengthy heartfelt comment? I stopped reading and commenting because you sensor people even when what’s being discussed is apolitical and innocuous. I wish I copied it. Quit censoring people. It puts some off your blog

37. Alex Nze

December 4, 2018 at 12:13 am

Until you tell yourself the TRUTH that nobody is a Nigerian, Nigeria was a fraud created by the British in 1914 for their economic advantage you will never progress. Dissolution of Nigeria is the only Solution. May the Almighty God continue to punish Nigeria until it Dismembers and the original Indegenous owners of Land allowed to go their separate ways in Jesus name, Amen!

38. Kingsley Ikpa-agodo

December 7, 2018 at 7:20 am

Real men don’t run away from their problems, they face it. May be Nigeria ain’t God’s will. If this shit continues like this, I think the country should be divided. You don’t force two people to marry each other else one may poison the other. Some ethnic group have different ideology from others-everybody knows the north(Muslims) enjoys violence and killing in the name of religion while others respect life. The architects of this disaster are enjoying peace in their country while Nigeria is going through hell. Pharaoh let my people go!