Features

How Did Your Parents Meet? Share Your Stories on BN

BellaNaija.com

It’s almost too easy to find a partner today. Too many options exist: social networks like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram; dating apps like Tinder, OkCupid, Badoo – so many. And if you’re not one for over-the-internet meets, then the every-Saturday owambes are there for you, house parties, game nights – too easy. And staying in touch, too. Everyone is a phone-call away, an idle FaceTime, WhatsApp text.

But all these things were nonexistent or in very little supply when our parents were searching for their better-halves. The internet was absent, so automatically no social media. There wereĀ owambes and arranged marriages. There were link ups in secondary school, at village meetings and teacher training colleges, but how easy was it to connect with your Forever After?

There was the problem of staying in touch after you met your significant other. How did you reach someone who lived miles away in another city when a mobile phone didn’t exist? When you were pining for your love late at night, what did you do? How did you cope with the absence without FaceTime?

This is why BellaNaija wants to hear the stories of how all our parents met. We want to hear their journey to marriage, how they met, how they fell in love, how they stayed in love despite the absence of all the ease technology provides today.

Was your mum the second wife? Did your dad slide into your mum’s life while she was in a relationship? Was it the other way around? Was their marriage arranged? We want all the deets.

How did your parent’s love story happen?

Share their stories with us by sending a mail to features(at)bellanaija(dot)com. It doesn’t have to be anything long, only has to be enough to celebrate their love.

We’ll keep you anonymous, if you want, but if you want to send us photos of your patents, we are happy to share.

Go on, what are you waiting for?

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

1. Adizzle 4 Shizzle

November 6, 2018 at 8:15 pm

He saw her walking down the street and stopped her. She obliged and opari!
    I always tell her that she took a big risk . What if he kidnapped her?

2. Babe

November 7, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Uche Pedro hi ma’am. Pls share your parent’s story.. I miss the days you used to comment regularly.

3. bolintin

November 8, 2018 at 10:28 am

MINE were too secretive to tell.
    Till date its still top secret.

Sometimes I think there is something fishy about it especially as I am seeing that the sister is always jealous o their love. I home my mum did not snatch her sister’s toaster or at least someone that she was eyeing o.

4. AitySpecial

November 8, 2018 at 4:19 pm

Dad was on his way to see his girlfriend, then he saw my mum by the road and he pulled over. Proposed to my mum two weeks later. The woman he left to marry my mum got married to a richer man sha. This life enhe…. Anyways the marriage produced nine successful children and it was only death that tore them apart.

• olomo

November 9, 2018 at 11:28 am

Glad everyone found their own mate at the end of the day.
      That is why nobody should die when you are jilted

• Nikky Remmy

November 9, 2018 at 12:14 pm

Awwwwwww…..so sweet….

5. Nikky Remmy

November 9, 2018 at 12:16 pm

My dad’s family were tenants at my mom’s. They grew up together and my father use to sneak into my mother’s room through window????(and I wasn’t allowed to bring any man home ) .

• Ugougo

November 13, 2018 at 11:09 am

Hhhahahahaha! Nikky you are so funny. I like your Dad. He is a Gee…

6. UC

November 22, 2018 at 1:34 pm

My mum was introduced to my mun

7. UC

November 22, 2018 at 1:36 pm

My mum was introduced to my dad.