Ofilispeaks: The True Story of How Intelligence Kills

In November 2010, my boss asked me told me that I would be going to Nigeria to execute a project. I would like to say that I was excited at this opportunity, but I was not… I had just bought a house (na mortgage o, no kidnap me) in Houston and my speaking career was just starting to pick up. Not to mention the fact that my parents had been robbed twice at gun point in their Ikeja home and all within a year! I was not excited.

But in 2011 I somehow found myself in Lagos and nothing prepared me for what I was about to experience. And no, it was not NEPA that was the issue or the endless traffic; it was the things that seemed normal to me just 10 years ago, right before my Dad smuggled me out of the country to avoid the endless University strikes. Those things now seemed peculiar.

It began with church. There was a church at every corner of Lagos and Port-Harcourt that I went. People prayed before they did anything, it was prayers, prayers and more prayers. It had been a while since I had been in a 1 hour prayer session, I fell asleep and woke up and we were still praying. We prayed for our Pastor, for jobs and we prayed for the country.

We always prayed for the country but, somehow, it seemed the prayers were not translating. Nigeria was as disjointed as could be, and most annoyingly people blamed this issue on the Devil. Everything was the Devil’s fault or in the recent words of our Aviation Minister as acts of God cue Stella. Very few people took responsibility for their actions. And pastors…let’s not talk about those.  They were like mini-gods. Pastor this said this and pastor this said that and pastor this said that he would give a robust response…cue Ese Walter. This bothered me, so I wrote about it …I wrote about how Religion Kills common sense.

And then there was our educational institutions. I had spoken at several University campuses and Secondary Schools across the nation and there was always one re-occurring theme – actually two. The first was that most students hated what they were doing and the only reason they did what they did was because of their parents. They hated it so much that some students would come up to me crying about the situation! “Why don’t you switch?” I asked most of the time and it was almost the same answer, “you don’t understand my parents” and “my parents will think I am stupid.” Off course, they will think you are stupid. If you don’t like what you are doing, you probably will suck at it.

In the words of Einstein if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” But that is what our institutions and our parents have become. We push our children to climb trees when they should be swimming through lakes. So again I wrote…I wrote about How Intelligence Kills dreams.

There was the second part, where students and church members (for the times I spoke in church) would tell me about issues of abuse. The first time I heard it, I penned it down as an outlier, a rarity. But then after hearing the same issue recounted by different people, I began to realize that there was a sexual abuse epidemic in Nigeria but no one wanted to talk about it. Maybe they did, but behind closed doors, because family pride and cultural pride will not let the stories go beyond the house. So most people, mostly girls, kept these things deep inside of them and it affected them -their demeanor, their personality…their everything.

I remember a friend of mine who in Secondary school, fell in love with a boy (teenage love). She followed him home during a short break at their private lesson. Unknown to her, her teenage lover had other things on his mind. It was a gang rape set up. Luckily or ironically, one of the boys in the gang rape plan knew my friend and could not go on with the plan. But that did not go down well with the other horny guys…they wanted to carry out their mission. So they fought each other tearing clothes and breaking bottles, causing commotion. Luckily nothing happened to my friend. But in Nigeria news travels faster than light (well, we never really have light to begin with) and it was no surprise that the whole town had heard about what happened.

Eventually the news reached her father. He was angry, he  stripped her down, tied her to the balcony railing and beat her! Can you imagine what is going through the head of a young girl at this moment. The one she thought she loved…gang rape. The father that should protect her – public flogging. But this is just a fragment of the stories I have heard. The stories never really come out…time and time again, the stupidity of family pride and respect rears its head…so people keep quiet. But I wrote about it…I wrote about how Cultural Respect Kills.

All I had were writings, articles loosely strung together and some sketches.

But then it happened. 4 days after my birthday on October 5th “ALUU4.” To this day, I don’t know why that incident affected me so much. Maybe it was because they were students the same age as my brother. Maybe it was because I saw the look of helplessness on their faces…that same look that I see in the faces of many of us Nigerians as we waddle through life. Maybe it was the pain in the voice of Lloyd’s mum as we talked in Port-Harcourt. Her pain, her anger…her loss. Maybe it was the way the government kept silent on the whole matter. Or maybe it was the fact that hundreds of Nigerians…educated, religious, culturally disciplined stood and watched as it happened.

And I realized that I like many had stood and watched for too long. We watched as some churches brainwash a congregation with spiritual fear; watched as an educational system defines brilliance as a student with a great memory equipped with a science related degree; watched as older people with bad ideas shove it down our throats cause no one wants to speak up…it’s disrespectful they say. So I wrote…

I wrote my most personal book. A book born out of years of frustration. A book that is not polite or cute. A book that does not beat around bush but sets it on fire and digs out the ashes till the bush is gone. A book that talks about what we all think about but are too afraid to write. An honest book.

I am not sure Nigeria will accept this book. My Dad has made me take out some paragraphs to make it more palatable. But we agreed at the end of the day that we needed to keep them in there. Because it is the truth. And I need your help to spread the truth.

The traditional print a book and dump it in a Nigerian bookstore, will not work. Trust me I have tried it before, you don’t get paid and you get frustrated. You don’t believe me? Then see this incident.

Basically, I want to by-pass the bookstore middle man and get the books directly into the hands of as many Nigerians as possible at an affordable cost (N500 or even less). To do this, I have put the book up on a Kickstarter project. For those of you not familiar, Kickstarter is a way for independent creatives to get funding for their ideas. If we can get to our target goal, we can print 2000 copies of the book at a really low cost so that more people can read.

If you are interested in driving down the cost of books and beating the middle man, then check out our project link at http://bit.ly/intelligencekills. Also note that all rewards are available to everyone no matter your country. Do check out the link and help spread the word. Every Dollar, Naira and Tweet counts!

“I confess that this book will be one of the most candid and honest books you would have read in a long time. I advise that if you are not ready to get your head smacked with the book, you should not read it it, ‘cause it would change your perceptions about a lot of things…”

Some Excerpts From The Book

On Religion “Three years later, I found myself several thousand miles from secondary school at a church in Houston, Texas… and my scary spiritual dreams? Well, they suddenly disappeared. It was as if the Devil and his whole crew of demons were denied visas at the American Embassy. And I can totally relate to that…” click to beat the middleman

On Gay Marriage “I confess that I don’t see the big hoopla around gay marriage. I mean I could care less what two consenting men do behind closed doors. Except if the men happen to be politicians deciding how to steal “our”…I take that back…Niger Deltan’s oil money. I confess that I am less worried about two men screwing each other and more worried about a politician screwing an entire nation…over and over again!” click to support

On Education “The fact is that our road networks, like our educational systems are built on a system of memorization; you either know the directions or you don’t. There is no logic to navigating the roads…if you get lost…ask for directions or ask jeeves I mean Jesus. But in the western world, if you ask for directions, you are told to head north or south and then to take exit number X or Y. Even the exits are numbered according to the number of miles between exits. It is a very logical system…their roads were probably planned by people who sucked at memorizing.” click to support the book

Dedicated To

The book is dedicated to the victims of the aluu4 mob lynching“hundreds of people…intelligent and religious stood by and did nothing…and still people have done nothing” hoping that we (not the government) start doing something…

_______________________________________________________
Okechukwu Ofili is a guy who writes and speaks as he sees it…Follow him on twitter at http://twitter.com/ofilispeaks. See some of his naked rad pictures on instagram http://instagram.com/ofilispeaks. And you can Facebook him on http://facebook.com/ofilispeaks

107 Comments on Ofilispeaks: The True Story of How Intelligence Kills
  • 5’5 October 17, 2013 at 9:35 am

i love ofilli! i am buying this book.

• Impeccable October 17, 2013 at 9:44 am

Hear him, hear him… will definitely check out the book!

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 10:14 am

Thanks impeccable =D

• iCrossMyHeart October 17, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Abi….I did not read everything YET. But I will. I say it often and I will say it again. The number one thing holding Nigeria back is RELIGION. It has made people SO COMPLACENT AND GULLIBLE AND LAZY.

• WinterNights October 17, 2013 at 9:46 am

Just so you know, you are my second husband. My husband does not like you one bit but I think both of you will become great friends and mates :-D You are allowed to marry another wife and we will all live in bliss.
    As your 1st wife, I will do all in my power to ensure I promote your book. The dedication is everything, you hear me. Thank you for honoring those boys and all those in Naija who have been murdered unjustly!!

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 10:16 am

mogbe o. I don’t want trouble. Is your Husband muscular because I no fit fight, na only inside computer game I dey fight. biko. But thanks for the kind words…and tell your husband I love him too #nohomo

• whocares October 17, 2013 at 9:56 am

ahh a book finallly! I was hoping you would write one some day. I am soo going to support the hell out of this book. I am really excited to read it as well. There is too much rubbish going on in Nigeria, and its hard to come across sincerity and an open mind, so hopefully, your book fills this gap… if not i want my donation back. lol.

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 10:11 am

lol…no yawa. Thanks for the support =D

• Precious October 17, 2013 at 10:02 am

WOW!

• charles October 17, 2013 at 10:04 am

I totally agree with what u say and what u write and I think that’s cos I have outside exposure..I believe anyone who hasn’t had that exposure to western culture would not really relate ……For example the respect culture in Nigeria is so annoyingly and frustratingly hypocritical it drives me up a wall..I relate to your book, to the over religious attitude we have that still hasn’t seen our country change for the better, to the way everybody feels an elder is always right even if he/she is asking you to jump into a fire…But a lot of these things have eaten too deep into the DNA of the average Nigerian that its nearly impossible to tear them away from it but I salute ur effort and agree that we owe ourselves a responsibility to try….

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 10:15 am

Charles….you are so right. All we can do it try. The thing is deep deep into our DNA. We are always looking to blame one witch or wizard for our problems but never ourselves. We shall sha keep trying cause that is better than doing nothing.

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 10:11 am

that’s what he said…

• ijescorner October 17, 2013 at 10:19 am

I am also a frustrated Nigerian; let’s see how we can come about with changing our nation!

Your book sounds interesting already..

ijescorner.tumblr.com

• Person October 17, 2013 at 10:23 am

Ofili!!! Well-done. I admit I have not read any of your books YET, but I am intrigued by this one! I have put my money where my mouth is o! If not, you shall hand my money back to me. j/k.

On another note, Nigeria just slays me. I don’t have energy this morning.

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 11:31 am

Thanks Person for the support. We will make it happen.

• Missy October 17, 2013 at 10:28 am

Definitely buying this book. I too have had similar experiences upon moving back and completely agree with everything you stated.

• ogo October 17, 2013 at 10:38 am

whoop whoop go coogs. Renu Khatar would be very proud of you right now. I will defineatly support your book and buy as much as i can for my friends too. Job well done mr ofili

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 11:25 am

Thanks Ogo. Go coogs!

• aisha October 17, 2013 at 10:51 am

I love how raw and candid ofilis words are.

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 11:28 am

I love how raw and candid aisha’s comments are =D

• Thatgidigirl October 17, 2013 at 10:52 am

Bia! R u married sef? Just an “innocent” question :) okbye….

• ty October 17, 2013 at 11:13 am

wow! i am so scared to go back to nigeria, just finished school and my visa is expiring really soon. i came back in d middle of the year and i could not cope, i had just stayed in the uk for 9 months and i was literally fighting with everyone at home. first of all, there was no light and i needed the generator on at all times. i could not even go out to buy anything, the kind of sun that will finish you eh. lets not event talk about the internet connection, paid heavily for visafone and starcomms, yet it could take about 15 minuites just to open a page. remember how my friend told me they were doing sales in one of those stores and before i could click on one dress, it was out of stock, thanx to my slow internet connection. the worst part was going to shops to buy something, and the next thing you would hear is aunty i no get change o, as if it is their right to keep your change. i complained and complained but the people i complained to never been abroad and they were like, oh pls! u just went to uk for 9 months, y are u now forming for us here. the way i ran back and thanked God for d opportunity that i had somewhere to run to.

now i understand y people stay abroad illegally , my visa is fast coming to an end, and i am dreading going back to naija, but doing all i can to get a job. cant just believe how comfortable life can be if our government will stop being so greedy and actually care about its people. i can go on and on, pastors…those ones r on another level of brainwashing…, the transport system, lets not go there. i wish i was in a position where i could actually change things in nigeria. well, what can I say, God help us all!

• MSBROWN October 17, 2013 at 1:38 pm

couldnt agree with you more.

• Jo! October 17, 2013 at 1:39 pm

9 months????

• roundpeginasquarehole October 18, 2013 at 2:08 pm

@ Jo, yeah 9 months. Even 1 month is enough to see the difference. A relative who had never been to the UK before always told me off whenever I moaned about Nigeria. Fast forward a couple of years she came on holiday for a month. By the time she returned she told me she she could now see my reasons for moaning. In fact she was now the moaner. To the extent that her work colleagues were like the people @ty complained to. They were like na wa o after just 1 month you are complaining, go back and live there now. Of course she could see the difference especially in the banks cos she went with me when I had to do some transactions and of course shopping. No customers being condescending to sales assistants and sale assistants not being rude or giving customers some nonsense attitude. Not saying that doesn’t happen here but it’s in the minority. And many other things. So yeah 9 months is long enough to see a difference.

Back to Ofili on the religiosity of Nigeria me I tire. This nation is as godless as they come and churches are closed down everyday being turned into cinemas, block of flats etc yet they are miles ahead of Nigeria where there’s a church every corner you turn and more are being opened. And no one should tell me that ehn the UK economy is not all that anymore because even at that Nigeria still can not stand beside UK. Or that Nigeria is one one of the fastest growing economy or emerging markets because all that is statistics. How does this statistic translate or impact positively the life of the average Nigerian? How is it that a godless nation as UK prospers and a supposedly godly nation like Nigeria rots? Isn’t it the same bible we love to quote in Nigeria that says a nation that fears God prospers? Could it be that they are doing something right somewhere or that they are reaping the rewards of their christian forefathers? Me I dunno o, someone please help with answers

• L.C October 17, 2013 at 2:14 pm

@ty
      Don’t make the mistake to come back to Nigeria. I came back to Nigeria after more than 16 years away. I came back to take part in NYSC. All I can say is that Nigeria just ain’t it. Apart from poor leadership, the Nigerian mentality is equally a problem – in other words, the people are a problem too – making it difficult to live in Nigeria. When the average Nigerian knows that you came back from the western world, they treat you with a lot of resentment because they consider you a threat and they think you want to take their job. Tribalism is a big problem in the Nigerian workplace with Nigerians forming cliques based on tribal affiliation and treating anyone who isn’t part of their tribe like an outcast. I know there is racism in the UK and other white countries but at least you have a better chance of getting a job without having to know someone at the top. At least you will have access to basic amenities such as constant electricity, clean water, better healthcare, fast internet access, better infrastructure and the likes. In Nigeria, if you are a female, you will have to deal with sexual harassment from the male folks in the workplace and much more. I strongly advise you to find someone whom you can marry for paper and remain overseas. If you make the mistake of coming back, you will regret it.

• Brown sugar October 17, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Ah! Aunty L.C this your advice is very ludicrous. Why would you be advising someone to marry because of papers. Do you know how nauseating that sounds? The police in the uk are bent on arresting people like yourself and when you get arrested and youre on the news and uk daily mail, you’ll start blaming it on everything and everyone apart from yourself. It is well with your way of thinking o.

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 5:17 pm

LC…sadly you summarize the truth about Nigeria. What you have written for the large part is quite true. We would discriminate against ourselves so much so that we would give a job to a foreigner versus a Nigerian from another village. And the foreign resentment is true. But there are people that have barrelled through and made it. Others can…but it is not easy. We would try sha…

• Olori Tari October 17, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Ain’t this just the truth ?? This right here is the GOSPEL…Nothing pisses me off as much as that 9ja’s internet matter, I yelled every single day just this past summer all in the name of internet. (Social network addict that I am). But lol, I can’t still do without Nigeria, that country is LIVE !! Got back to the UK just 2 months ago but I miss Nig like crazy. (hoping for this December).

• Dee October 17, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I was away for over a year and while I agree lots of things about Nigeria suck, I’d say I’m getting along ok. Yes transportation and power situation; horrible. Internet, em… you say you paid heavily for Starcomms and Visafone ke? Swift and Mobitel nko? Never heard of them I guess. But seriously bro, 9 months? 9 freaking months. Ahan, Nigeria sucks big time but you self chill.

• TyTy December 12, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Really!!! Just 9 months and you are talking like this. My dear the people that told you you had just stayed 9 months and you are complaining are right. Am Surprised at your words. You say because they havent been outside the country before.. rude words. Seriously anyone that hasnt been outside the country is stupid eh! My dear I have stayed abroad… US and UK and I can tell you there is no place like home. I know many who have come back to Niger looking for greener pasture from the so called UK. (your eyes go soon open. pray you get a job). I feel its a poverty mentality when I see people saying they dont want to come home after seeing the white mans land. In retrospect it should make you want to come home and see how you can bring change to your country. I agree that our leaders are so so asleep and the state of things in Nigeria isnt close to what we have in the Western World but it isn’t so difficult is you have the means.
      If we all run a way like you and talk like you who will make this change we are all talking about.
      The way I see you, with your shallow thinking you wouldn’t do much even if you had the opportunity.

• Bleed blue October 17, 2013 at 11:21 am

OFILI my darling!

You always come out with the words in my head…just that you articulate them with much better diction than I could ever muster.

I will get this book. I NEED this book. Not just to go to bibliophilia heaven but to hopefully gain some insight from the candid words you promise it contains.

And perhaps too, I can find some closure on the Aluu4 incident. I, like you Ofili, found myself irrationally affected by it. I never knew those boys, and it’s been a year but I still cry.

• ijescorner October 17, 2013 at 11:25 am

lol @ thatgidigirl…innocent indeed!

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 11:28 am

Thanks Missy!

• Aderonke October 17, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Well done Ofili, I am truly on board too!

• chei October 17, 2013 at 1:23 pm

i will rather read all your books than listen or watch miss kola speak.Thanks and God bless you.

• www.myHairmyBeautyNIGERIA.COM October 17, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I am getting this Book!

• Cee Cee October 17, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Ofili God bless you for speaking up for what is right! I had always said no to some religious teachings that have manipulated human mind that common sense is now lost. Most people see me as anti-religion cos I have asked for present day religions to redress their stands or loose their relevance in future generation. So many things are going wrong in our home,Nigeria but who will speak out n who will fight? Most of our youths lack direction. Am so glad someone somewhere shares same headache with me and is proferring solutions to them. AM SO INSPIRED! Thank you so much

• Cynthia October 17, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Ofili,

I must get your book. I came back to Nigeria after many years away and all I can say is that I cannot wait to run away again. Your book is definitely worth reading.

• jubreeli October 17, 2013 at 2:00 pm

thank you for this one. definitely a buy for me.

• Tess October 17, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Welldone Ofili! It’s great someone is taking the uncomfortable decision to DO something instead of just WATCHING helplessly. May the Aluu4 and all innocents who have been killed continue to R.I.P

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian October 17, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Hi Ofili.

I do not know how to say this but I am going to try.

May I just say that the issues you have spoken of are very obvious things: yet very personal, very deep. You are going up against a way of life that people acclaim as the norm. But it is not the norm. It is actually a mutation of the norm and people are afraid to look too deeply. In a quest to speak up, to be heard far above the din and cacophony, please do not lose yourself. Nietzsche, once said if you look deep into the abyss the abyss will look deep into you.

Find a balance, have that place where you can always go to be reminded of the things that once made you smile; have that place where you can always go to breathe in the clean air of purity and hope that will help replenish your faith in Man. And when you find that place, guard it jealously, because it may soon be the only place you have left. It may be with your family, it may be playing ludo, it may be dancing in the rain. Because once you look deep into that deep, brutal place and see the baseness of Man, you will need a place of faith.

But only mind what I say if you are in this for the long haul.
    I apologize if I sound so maudlin.

• Tiki October 18, 2013 at 8:20 am

It is true that sometimes we feel so strongly for the struggle of the people around us, that we take on their struggle, lose ourselves, and our efficiency suffers. However, no major change has ever been wrought without the first act of a martyr. Ofili, thumbs up!

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian October 17, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I apologize if I sound so maudlin, sometimes too much knowing sef get as he be.

• yewande October 17, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Rooting for you as you continue to speak on behalf of and do for those with “no voice”. Made my pledge (wish it could have been more but hoping my little something contributes to taking this all the way). Best wishes.

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Thanks Yewande, saw your pledge. We are 20% done. Thanks.

• AdaKing October 17, 2013 at 2:59 pm

i hope there is something on gender inequality in your book. my friend and i are tired of complaining about how the males treat the females in Nigeria. Its so hard to see a male give way to a female on the road,infact i feel they have a problem with females driving in Nigeria. The oppression is just too much and the list goes on and on.

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Ada I also address gender inequality. Actually one of the articles (I am not your Secretary) I wrote sometime ” back addressed that issue.

• sassycassie October 17, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Ahem, is oke ofili single? Inquiring minds would like to know

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 3:23 pm

He is engaged to Genevieve. Flirts with Adichie and hangs out with Agbani Darego in a we-swear-it-is platonic relationship.

• oreos October 17, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Lol….that just made my morning…..
        Love you articles BTW! I think they are wonderful!

• portable October 18, 2013 at 9:11 am

Awww,Ofili please find a place n fix me in the we-swear-it-is platonic relationship thingy o,lol! By the way,am in Owerri,how do i get ur book?

• sassycassie October 18, 2013 at 2:36 pm

LOL! Noted

• Suyi Davies October 17, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Ok, here’s the thing: Yes, I will support this book (albeit with my small money, hehehe) because I myself am tired of us circumventing the real issues and everyone-yes, everyone!-from top to bottom, rich to poor are all guilty of the same things. I myself have begun to speak in my own way on my blog (at The Muse Box suyidavies.wordpress.com, whenever you have the time) about things like these, and I think for once, we should hear a blunt and sincere voice. We don’t need a mere shake-up, we need an overhaul! This right here, is it. Big-ups dude.

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Thanks Suyi. Anything counts. If na one dollar 200 people donate it will make a difference.

• niyie October 17, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Oga Ofili, see wetin you don cause, you write book, na wether you single..be query,
    looking to distract and sap d talent already…amazing…that thing called attraction…where in the UK can i pick up your book…O jare! come into town, I’ll buy you some Rum & Suya,

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Through the kickstarter project bit.ly/intelligencekills we are delivering the book to UK and Nigeria. Just click.

• slice October 17, 2013 at 4:12 pm

God bless you
    This Aluu4 case is in court. abi?

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Yeah. Linda has some new updates on her blog today. 4 granted bail and 8 still remain in custody.

• slice October 17, 2013 at 5:48 pm

o thanks for the update. i didn’t know that.
        i would think the only debate would be between the death penalty and life in prison but this is naija so who knows. watching

• fashionandstylepolice October 17, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Do you have an ebook version available on Kindle for us in the UK?

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 6:56 pm

The book is not yet out on kindle, but it will be. But you can get a PDF of a special version of the book here bit.ly/intelligencekills

• e mi ni October 17, 2013 at 4:54 pm

erm… what is original about a book criticising what goes on in Nigeria…? we’ve heard this all before… im sorry but I just don’t see the point of supporting a book that does what ALOT of nigerians – especially diaspora, are doing already – via youtube and articles online. Kudos for taking the time time to write a book, it takes alot of effort and work and I commend you for that, but I just dont see how you are adding value by sharing this

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 6:54 pm

And how are you better?
      The one who criticizes the criticizer. People like you make it seem like keeping quiet is a great alternative, like keeping quiet makes an impact. You think America is great because people kept quiet? Do you think that when their Government shutdown people were quiet? Our ASUU schools have been on strike for more than 100 days and nobody is criticizing or saying anything…its like nothing is happening.
      Anyway me I will talk and talk and write and write, it might not making a difference, but it is better than doing nothing…the irony is that the book is not even a criticism of Nigeria book sef it is more than tha. Anyway I digress…

PS: Sorry for criticizing your criticism of my ciriticism…jisike

• e mi ni October 18, 2013 at 11:18 pm

I am involved in charity work, doing business and
        participating in diaspora organisations that seek to contribute to
        the development of Nigeria and Africa. When I am given the
        opportunity I also facilitate and help those wishing to do business
        in Nigeria. I do not think America is great. I do not live there
        and have no desire to. I was born and raised in London and trust me
        I do not think the UK is great, either. Every country has it’s
        challenges. If the book is not ‘just’ about criticising Nigeria, as
        the write up on it implies, kindly elaborate on the parts of the
        book that are conducive to the development, progress and change
        that we are passionate about seeing.

• Tiki October 18, 2013 at 8:23 am

These are the people who look at a movie poster and think that they can tell what the movie is about. Before you criticise something, make sure you know what that thing is. And propose solutions. Otherwise you are just a hater!

• Miss Anonymous October 18, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Tiki, once you see a poster that reads “Blackberry Babes”
        or “Okon goes to School” you don’t need to watch the movie
        nah!

• Akpeno October 17, 2013 at 5:54 pm

“A Talk Na Do” as my adoptive people would say…..
    Ofili you’re definitely an “A talk na do” person. More grease to your elbows and I pray there are more people like you in our dear country Nigeria….

• Radiant October 17, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Hi Ofili,

I hope you are cool with being disagreed with.

Cos I do disagree on some of your points.

But thank you for honouring the #Aluu4. That incident affected me in ways I can’t explain and I never even watched the video. I woke up on Saturday, 5th October 2013 with ‘fever’ on that matter.

• Okechukwu Ofili October 17, 2013 at 9:00 pm

No issues. We need disagreement to grow.

• Syl October 17, 2013 at 11:18 pm

ebook asap please. Thanks

• GirlOnTop :D October 18, 2013 at 9:27 am

Would definitely be getting the book sometime soon. I am still going through the process of sieving and fine-tunning some wrong ideologies and mentalities I picked up about life due to my Nigerian upbringing (which I am very proud of) bearing in mind that I moved out as mid-teenager. Kudos to you Ofili.

• N. M. October 18, 2013 at 10:40 am

Oke, please can you tell me how I can pay in Naira, I do not have an amazon account. Will really like to support this. Weldone

• Okechukwu Ofili October 21, 2013 at 5:18 am

You can use your credit card. We have about 5-10 people
      that have backed us this way. Thanks again for the
      support.

• La Belle October 18, 2013 at 11:26 am

Really Rooting for you Ofili, i support more than 100% and going off to give something..

• Modella October 18, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Were are the money going to?

• Demmy October 18, 2013 at 7:29 pm

O0hh I totally love this post. Definitely getting this book. I’ve been waiting for someone to write a book like this. Thank youu. xx

• Demmy October 18, 2013 at 7:34 pm

I would love to donate buuutt I am nothing but a 14 year old with no money :D

• Okechukwu Ofili October 21, 2013 at 5:19 am

awww…you can donate with a tweet or facebook post about
        the project. We accept anything. Thanks for thinking about the
        project.

• chy October 19, 2013 at 1:29 am

yeah! the Aluu4, finally someone said something about them! thank you. the book please! I know it will be brilliant cos my bothers met with u and are sooo motivated right now.

• Okechukwu Ofili October 21, 2013 at 5:20 am

O cool! There are other people that are still fighting to
      keep them in our memories. We will do all our part to make it never
      forgotten.

• Nok10 October 20, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Great project Ofili! I have been preaching this for years,
    and the average Nigerian thinks I’m crazy cos I’ve lived away from
    naija for almost 20 years. I just backed your project (sorry only
    $5.00, cos I’m married with kids and can assure you I won’t have
    time to read the book:) but its a great book though for people
    priviledged to have time to read). Please 2015 is around the
    corner, Ofili why not start a political party or something.
    Seriously, I think we need young, motivated leaders like you to
    effect change. Please don’t accept any public office – one of their
    political tactics is to offer political appointments to people like
    you who voice out the problem with Nigeria. I recall a singer I
    used to admire released a song back in 2011, close to elections. It
    was a song about how we the youth need to demand change from our
    leaders. Next thing you know, this lady was appointed official
    photographer to the President. That was like a ‘hush appointment’
    to keep her quiet, and she sure went quiet on us. Another columnist
    criticized the government for years, after his political
    appointment he began to sing praises of the government. I could go
    on, and on. Even my family member who used to talk about effecting
    change in naija, as soon as he got appointed head of service for
    our state, he began the shopping spree abroad, acquiring
    properties/cars obviously not from his paycheck but government
    funds – ‘its our time and we must chop’ mentality. Then you have
    the likes of people like founder of Next newspaper who maintain
    their intergrity and publish the truth. The guy was featured on CNN
    – he’s a pulizter award winning writer, relocated to naija to
    change the sysytem. They frustrated his business, and prevented
    advertisers from advertising in the paper. Hence, the guy couldn’t
    pay his workers, and had to close shop. Ofili, I pray you continue
    to maintain your integrity, and the powers that be do not get to
    you.

• Okechukwu Ofili October 21, 2013 at 5:16 am

Wow. Thanks you so much. I have no political aspirations.
      Just to speak the truth as much as I can, but I really really like
      your advise. Very sound and deep. And trust me I listen a lot and I
      will remember your post. PS: I happen to know a little bit about
      the fall of NEXT and it was a mixture of many factors, including
      the ones you mentioned above. But there was also some aspect of
      over spending and running out of money and pissing off local
      distributors. But by and large you are right.

• Idak October 21, 2013 at 6:37 am

Guy, I go support the book the book in the next few days. I will buy a few copies and share it around,simply because you talk sense most of the time (your style of satire reminds me of the genius called Sanya Ojikutu )and I admire folks who still have hope in the future of Nigeria (some of us have lost hope completely and are immune from any form of feeling or affection for this country). All the best in your pursuits but next time try find someone else to endorse your book,not Linda Ikeji. Linda can barely write three correct sentences to save her life. Linda endorsing a book is a bit of an oxymoron. Meanwhile, I love her hustle big time (before her stans descend on me).

• Nok10 October 21, 2013 at 10:03 am

Lol! You echoed my thoughts about Linda endorsing the book. That almost put me off the book. However, I’ve read a lot of BN articles by Ofili, so I know if he puts out a book it will definately be a good read.

• Okechukwu Ofili October 22, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Ofili goes ahead to google “Sanya Ojikutu”

On Linda Ikeji as an endorser of the book. What can I say…she is one of the only few people that have followed the aluu4 issue and updated people on it consistently. While others have forgotten she steadily pushes it and keeps the memory alive.

I would rather her than some PHDed Docotor of Science plus Pastor plus MON that has done nothing tangible. That’s just me sha.

I feel comfortable with her endorsement. But hey I understand where you are coming, sometimes perception hides character.

• alice October 21, 2013 at 9:48 am

u care less about gay marriage, that’s serious….anybody or thing outside God’s plan hits the ROCK.

• Ada Nnewi October 21, 2013 at 12:02 pm

there are more things graver than that to be worried
      about….btw adultery, fornication, rape, child molestation and
      prostitution (street walkers, runz babes, escorts and gigolos
      alike) all rank the same as gay marriage the same if we looking at
      it biblically and these other vices which are more harmful to the
      society are extolled and seen as the norm….no wonder we are where
      we are as a country…

• Ada Nnewi October 21, 2013 at 12:04 pm

there are more things graver than gay marriage to be
        worried about….btw adultery, fornication, rape, child molestation
        and prostitution (street walkers, runz babes, escorts and gigolos
        alike) all rank the same as gay marriage, if we looking at it
        biblically and these other vices which are more harmful to the
        society are extolled and seen as the norm….no wonder we are where
        we are as a country…

• Okechukwu Ofili October 22, 2013 at 7:55 pm

How does Gay Marriage affect NEPA?
      How does it affect ASUU strike?
      How does it affect unemployment and kidnapping?

THere are more important things we need to be focusing on as a nation than Gay Marriage. But they (politicians) use it to satisfy our religious hunger, while they screw us over and over again…shine your eye.

• odeh hannah October 22, 2013 at 9:43 am

great work ofili…you are an inspiration

• Curious Cat October 23, 2013 at 12:37 pm

yeah ofili chop kisses even as i don marry how can i donate
    in a Naija style no credit card cos i dont know how it works much
    love

• Okechukwu Ofili October 24, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Ah Curious cat. The best thing to do is to see if someone
      with debit or credit card can do it for you. Hope that helps.
      Looking forward to your support.

• @maverickfs October 24, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Your writing is well crafted and humorously y intriguing.i have glanced through your works and it. Candid to opine they are quite sincere. But it’s of utmost importance to state clearly that. Your writing skills shouldn’t be a platform to lament the already obvious woes ravaging this country when your humble self can make your thoughts known to governments at various strata and make proposals to reform the educational system. Also avail yourself to be at public hearing organised by legislative arm of governments!Nigeria doesn’t need criticisms,complaints,invectives!take a cue from toyosi akerele and don’t use your speaking career to ridicule the country though your views are commendable.

• Okechukwu Ofili October 24, 2013 at 10:59 pm

ok o…thanks for the feedback. Anugo m.

• Mimi November 7, 2013 at 9:44 pm

LOL @ LINDA IKEJA “REVIEW OF THE BOOK”…WHY LINDA? I DID’NT KNOW A GOSSIP BLOG GIVE PEOPLE THAT KIND OF CREDIBILITY. I love what you do! more grease to your elbow Mr. Ofili. Im excited to read this book.

• Mimi November 7, 2013 at 9:44 pm

• Jirla November 29, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I havent read your book but Im sure it would be an interesting read. In response to some of the comments I have read here ( which i find quite shameless), I hope your book also talks about the “run away mentality” that has plagued us as a nation. The grass is greener syndrome where we are willing to sell our souls to share in what someone else has worked hard to till and keep green while we leave our own fallow. Nigerians with this atittude have contributed to the disrespect we have abroad and have also done extensive damage to our national psyche… Yes we have problems no one can deny that but Im sick of this “Im too good for Nigeria” atittude. if you ask some of this people what their contributions are beyond complaining … the obvious answer will be nothing. I hope we remember that most countries became great with the “think not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country mentality” which we sorely lack. Lets have some pride in who we are. We are great at complaining and criticizing … can we have some real solutions please.

• Feminist Nigeria March 19, 2014 at 5:05 pm