NHS Trust North EssexA Ghanaian Psychiatrist who was based in the United Kingdom was fired from his job at a health centre in Essex after diagnosing a troubled patient with ‘Dissociative Identity’ and a ‘history of previous satanic ritual abuse’ and telling her that her issues could not be addressed by regular treatment.

Instead of following medical guidelines, he allegedly gave her the name of the television station run by a church in Lagos and said “neither psychiatry not psychology would be able to help because there are special forces at play.”

The patient also alleges that the Doctor advised her to get ‘nice holy water’. He also said told Patient A she had been ‘initiated through satanic ritual’ and told her the church TV station was ‘specifically targeted for people who experienced similar situations.’

According to the UK Daily Mail, When the nurse told Dr. Awakame that the patient thought she might be ‘possessed’ he replied: ‘She may well be.’

Based on the patient’s complaints after her appointment in January 2014, he was fired a month later.

The doctor who studied Medicine in Ghana and then obtained a masters degree at the University College of London and a PhD at the University of Leeds worked in the UK from 1997 to 2014. He is now a lecturer in Ghana.

The Daily Mail confirms that in an email to the panel he said he had left clinical medicine and added: ‘I consider all these proceedings flogging of a dead horse. But I understand the GMC has to go through the motions.’

He said he did not have the ‘time or resources’ to be involved in the proceedings.

40 Comments on Patient says Ghanaian Psychiatrist in UK advised her to “Get Holy Water” & Go to Nigerian Church
  • Tony January 21, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Before all the magistrates and judges on this forum come here to write judgement the Doctor recommended a solution which isn’t bad. It is left for the patient to accept or reject. Since when did the hospital start treating demonic attacks?

Mr Dr, this oyibo people sickness too much oya continue working in Ghana to educate and improve the Africa continent. Today its eating disorder, reading disorder, tomorrow identity disorder. Sometimes life in Africa is better. I am glad you didn’t sue for wrongful termination which means you stand by your advise to the patient though non medical. loll

• Seriously January 21, 2016 at 9:30 pm

I support science, and medical advancement, but with all the solution and medication out there for every mental, psychological problems, there’s still no precise answer. It leads to another problem. I was on anti depressant/anxiety for years. The fact that, I depended on it to help regulate my mood was nerve wracking. However, it worked to an extent. I became not as moody and energized. It had some side effect that affected other areas. For example, whenever I will get sick, it extended than it’s usual period. When I switched my doctor, my new doctor pointed out how one of my medication was affecting my kidney. I stopped taking all my medication. I fell into heavy depression again, worst than ever.
      I’m not a religious person. Infact, I get annoyed when my nigerian side of the family will talk about witchcraft, and fetish things. Every answer to a problem is, go to a particular church to get delivered. I thought, they were all delusional and needed a mental/psyche intervention. My mom’s side is different, they are Christians but they believe in man made help which is fine.
      My mom’s uncle is a baptist pastor. He told me, everything that is bothering you in life, take it to Jesus. He controls everything. Eversince, I’ve been praying from my heart more, trusting God I haven’t felt into depression. I get sad, normal feeling but not feel crappy I once felt

• Honeycrown January 21, 2016 at 10:40 pm

@Tony, I think there’s just as many sickness in Africa but since we don’t have a good healthcare system, many people are undiagnosed and most solely opt for religious/traditional treatment.

• halima January 21, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Ghanaians are very religious o. If you watch their tv stations you would know. They can perform miracles and signs on tv

• xag January 21, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Black man mentality. No matter how educated they are, the “native spirits” and “village juju” mentality must always come out to play in intellectual conversation. How can we progress? To all the people who foolishly defend this sort of folly, imagine if it was your aeroplane pilot who gave up the controls during a turbulent flight and said “I leave this plane to God against the spiritual forces that are hampering this flight”. How would you truly feel?

• dupsy January 21, 2016 at 8:11 pm

This comment made me to really laugh! Thanks so much for it!

• bruno January 21, 2016 at 8:36 pm

who are u?
      where have u been all this while?
      are u new on bellanaija?

pls we need people like u in the comment section, commenting regularly and educating the ignorant over religious populace.

• ATL’s finest January 21, 2016 at 11:02 pm

@ Xag lmao! Preach up Bro/sis.. Like I tell people how long are we gonna keep dwelling on “Voodoo ishy” and backwardness from out fore fore fore fathers??? #Africanfoolishness#. No amount of degree can erase that mess from them smh. Its BEST he remains a lecturer for we sure don’t need deadly mistakes.

• Honeycrown January 22, 2016 at 1:38 am

@Xag you’re hilarious especially at the airplane comment.

• truth hurts January 22, 2016 at 8:03 am

Lol….. Nigerians are slowly starting to come out of that mentality. Searched around online and found Likemynds, a psychotherapy practice in Abuja. Had a session and was pleasantly surprised with their service. I honestly did not think there were any good psychologists/psychiatry doctors in Nigeria, but apparently I have been proven wrong. Hope they decide to stop being so coded sha

• HALIMA February 2, 2016 at 11:58 am

Please where are they located at? Do they have a phone number I can call or a Facebook page or something? I’m having crazy marital issues after 2years *sigh* and marital counselling isn’t helping much. I feel depressed often and need to talk with someone who won’t force God down my throat or tell me to pray about it. Sorry for the banter but I need a psychotherapist abeg

• j’suis belle January 21, 2016 at 8:33 pm

i don’t see anything wrong with that,but am sure white folks won’t understand

• nystyle January 21, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Xag or whatever you call urself,you and ur fans are the ones living in black man mentality while the doctor and rest of us live in God’s kingdom mentality…what did Christ tell you about demons,principalities and powers….sickness such as this woman’s from the days of the Bible till Christ comes back are not biological but spiritual,, reason Jesus Christ commands us to go into this world and cast out devils…I hope you are fulfilling the commission God sent us to do?….Doctor you hv done well to dust them off and go to a land where you will be received according to the word of God.

• The real dee January 21, 2016 at 11:07 pm

Nystyle leave them, the carnal mind cannot understand the things of the spirit. When issues like this arise,I don’t bother arguing or try to convince people, I’ll just leave them to God to open their spiritual eyes.

One day, one very sweet day, y’all shall come to the spiritual understanding you have failed to accept.

Atheists and ‘supposed’ intellectuals who think people who mind spiritual issues are religious bigots, I take God beg you, don’t come for me, ain’t got time for insults. Thanks in advance.

• H January 21, 2016 at 11:22 pm

@nystyle Is that what the commission is?

“Matthew 28:18-20
      The Great Commission
      18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

“Revelation 22:18

18 I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book”

This man could have just let the lady know that a lot of people find comfort when they embrace their spirituality and then follow up by inviting her to church. That way he can introduce her to the message of salvation. You don’t force such strange ideas down people’s throats. If your Indian doctor told you to go to a temple somewhere to bath what will be your reaction? If you own such a clinic will you not query him?

• Abena January 22, 2016 at 9:01 am

So let me ask o, how would you feel if you went to an Indian doctor and he told you to go and visit an Indian deity to treat your illness?

• Tunmi January 21, 2016 at 9:47 pm

This reminds me of when my sister started showing symptoms of schizophrenia. My mum took her everywhere since they saw it as a spiritual issue. Eventually my dad demanded a hospital. My darling is doing better on meds.

With all the holy water, juju, babaláwo, etc we get, electricity is still not constant. The guy deserves his punishment. Too much nollywood misinformed audiences about mental illnesses

• H January 21, 2016 at 11:29 pm

Thank you @Tunmi, with such an attitude it’s no wonder we can not boast of unique inventions to solve our problems.

• DocDeola January 21, 2016 at 10:18 pm

When u do psychiatry, you come to appreciate the spirituality of mental illness. When I did my placement, I sincerely believed some were possessed. A lot of my oyibo psychiatry colleagues even said some of the patients can ‘sense’ a pregnant woman before she knows or is showing! @Bruno, just because the West is denouncing spirituality doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. The area of neurobiology is in fact now carrying out research on ‘spirits’ and life after death. We just can’t knock these things before we know more! Also did you know the retirement age for psychiatrists in UK used to be 55 as they had the highest suicide rates in medicine?!

• xag January 21, 2016 at 11:32 pm

Some of you people should be banned from practicing medicine as you are nothing more than native doctors in disguise. What is the point studying science if you already come to the table with preconceived notions about juju and demons? This is why Africa can’t progress, instead of people to find solutions to evident problem, it’s always about one evil spirit (disguised in the form of one aunt or uncle) or the other.

• “And the Light shineth in the darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth It not.” January 22, 2016 at 12:52 am

@xag, as the Ghanian doctor said, he understands the GMC’s position, they have to be seen to be doing something. It is just because this patient made a fuss. Doctors who are not Christians, who practice no religion except their medical science, know among themselves that occurrences/healings which defy all medical explanation and can only be classified as nothing else but miracles, and recoveries and progress of a type, nature, and/or speed where Christian faith believers are involved, do occur.

I, also, know a Nigerian lady in the UK who has suffered from mental illness for years. If she hadn’t told me, I wouldn’t have known. She has medical help, sees her psychiatrist when she’s meant to, takes her drugs but is also a staunch and practicing Christian; she’s fighting the illness both medically and spiritually. Her psychiatrist, white, (non-African, non-Asian, non-Latino) and irreligious, regularly at her appointments would comment how she was his very best patient, and on the marked difference between her and all his other patients, and would always ask her if she was still going to her church and practicing her faith and then he would enjoin her to keep doing so. This was because he had early on, trying to find out the reason for this difference, been told by her of her faith in God and in His Word concerning her and His unfailing power and willingness to heal her, and how blessed and strengthened she is when she goes to church. He had discovered her Christian faith and traced the positive results in her situation in stark contrast to all his other patients, to it; and, as a true physician, all he truly cared about was the health/healing of his patient; and, as a true scientist i.e. seeker of truth, seeker of knowledge, seeker of solutions, he was interested and curious to investigate and find out the cause, what stimuli was different and present to produce a different reaction/result in one case that he was not seeing in others, and when he found it, he did not reject it and scoff at it, because results don’t lie, instead, he recommended, and kept recommending its continued use and prohibited its discontinuance.

He did not ever write that down as a prescription. In that, he was, perhaps, wiser, more savvy, than the Ghanian doctor.

Oh, and by the way, my late dad was a scientist, and was not a Christian for most of his life but even he experienced things (especially re his relatives from the village) that science just could not explain. He did not believe in demons, the devil, hell, evil, etc. He couldn’t stand Pentecostalism, etc. And he clung, against all the strange, mysterious, inexplicable things over the years that he experienced, to science and science alone. Thankfully, God in His exceeding great mercy, humbled him, crumbled all his pride and walls, and granted him His salvation and eternity with Him, about a year before He called him home. My late father acknowledged, believed in and accepted Jesus Christ as God, not as a great teacher, surrendered his life and eternal soul to Him, and accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Saviour before he died, before it was too late. For this, I am eternally grateful to the Almighty God.

I pray that the same mercy will transform and change your life and story and that of everyone else who is yet to receive the Light of the world.

• “And the Light shineth in the darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth It not.” January 21, 2016 at 11:57 pm

@DocDeola, God bless you. My late mom told how one of my late dad’s relatives from the village (many of whom were known to be witches/wizards and all kinds of idols, water spirits, etc were worshiped in that village) arrived at our home in Lagos, and my dad sent to my mom upstairs to inform her. As my mom was coming down the stairs, the woman who had been talking with my dad, turned round to look at my mom and immediately turned round to my father and asked why he had not informed them in the village that his wife was pregnant. My dad was nonplussed, and told her his wife was not pregnant, and the woman was adamant. My mom could not believe her ears. This was because she had only just missed her monthly period and was going to wait a little in case it was just late and then if it didn’t come, go for a test before saying anything to my dad. As it turned out, she was, indeed, pregnant. By the way, my late mom was a medical personnel; also, that was not her first pregnancy.

The supernatural is real. Forces of darkness, evil are real. Forces of good are real. Demons, evil spirits are real. Angels are real. The Holy Spirit is real. Hell is real. Heaven is a real. The devil/satan is real. God is real. God is a real Person. God is not some vast, impersonal, abstract, imaginary nothingness floating around everywhere and nowhere in the universal ether. He really is real. He really is a real Person. And everyone can have the most wonderful relationship and communion with Him. The only thing is: it must, and can only, ever be on His terms.

• LMBOMBOMOFF January 22, 2016 at 5:00 am

Couldn’t have said it better. God is REAL.

• Chidinma January 22, 2016 at 2:25 am

I can’t help but feel sorry for the people that liked Xag’s comment. It’s easier to believe it’s a fairytale but it is 100% the truth. If your spiritual eyes were opened you would never go/stay anywhere alone. Thank God for Jesus.

• Abi January 22, 2016 at 2:38 am

It is not always ideal to talk to a client about spirituality in a healthcare setting because in the end, you may be held liable when things do not go well. I did my clinicals in a long term care and I was assigned to care for two residents. I so much admired one of them who has dementia and I almost started talking about Jesus. She was old and I would want her to make heaven when she dies. I talked to my friend who is also a Christian, but we just couldn’t preach to her because we didn’t want to fail. It’s ideal to ask about a client’s culture and spirituality before you can make any suggestions. Your suggestions should come when the client has no other option. If the client is very sick, make your suggestions known to his or her family members. Never impose anything on them. Leave them with an option. Some hospitals can even arrange for a clergy man.

• ElessarisElendil January 22, 2016 at 3:28 am

On this subject. The Nation on Monday carried a story about a burnt woman; Cause? Her Cele Prophet told her that “a voice” AKA as “God” told him that he should put her on fire, nothing will happen to her.

So they poured kerosene on her ……………………..the obvious happened. The guy’s excuse was ‘God told him, he wasn’t sure why it didn’t work this time. What killed it for me was a member defending the Prophet who said “He’s a Man of God, it was the Woman’s sins that made her burn”. I generally find these protestant shenanigans funny, but this one left a bitter taste in my mouth.’

• ElessarisElendil January 22, 2016 at 3:42 am

I like to think I’m educated enough not to be excessively brave about the spiritual realm. I’m the sort to cross to the other side when I see a ritual calabash on the road.

Just being cautious.

• Na wa January 22, 2016 at 1:21 pm

But why now? you shouldn’t have to cross the road….

• ahah January 22, 2016 at 3:57 am

who no go nor know.The things of the spirit are the things of the spirit.Has God giving us Knowledge? yes, but it shouldn’t negate the things of the spirit.Also, one of the gifts of the spirit is also wisdom.You should be wise in obeying laws of medical practice especially in some countries.Decisions made in your professional capacity should should be evidence based and should not be a reflection of your personal believes and traditions.When i practiced in Nigeria i came accross some cases that are spiritually based,the patients didn’t know it,fellow doctors didn’t know it,but i knew and acted accordingly.sometimes, accordingly meant stylishly removing my self from participating in some operations b y asking for someone to cover for me,sometimes it meant not saying anything and minding my business or taking up some cases that were nt my patient and doing spiritual works and prayers on the px behalf, before handling their issues without the patients knowing or fellow doctors knowing.You will be amazed at the privileges the Gift of the Spirit affords you.It is important to know when to speak,how to speak , to whom you are speaking to and where this conversation is been held.

• LMBOMBOMOFF January 22, 2016 at 4:58 am

In other words E ti ese ile bo ………………… anything wrong with that?

LMBOMBOMOFF this made my day!!

• madman January 22, 2016 at 7:09 am

The question or concerns are not whether or not God is real but that he brought his personal beliefs as a practicing doctor in the U.K to his job.

• Lis January 22, 2016 at 7:39 am

@Ahah, lolz… the gift of the spirit gives us privileges… to discern, how to talk, when to, to whom, etc @xag: I get where yu are coming from, it’s called the COMMON SENSE perspective… its ok to have it… basing tins on what yu see… meaning your faith is still an adolescent… I don’t believe dat any one man has the power to heal, but I believe God does…. and he anoint his servants to do so as well… some ar fake prophets, true.. some are real as well…when you go to the house of a strong man (the devil) you must be prepared. The weapons if our warfare are not canal, they are mighty thru God for the pulling down of strongholds.

Secondly, I believe any tin is a weapon in the hands of a mighty man… The aprons of the apostles healed many, the cloak of Elijah divided a river…The bible says, if yu can believe, all tins are possible to him that believes….

Mayb the man shud av asked for God’S leading into dis treacherous water….. but he told him straight out what he believed… look it’s belief dat make ppl bow down to stones and those tins begin to work for them… Belief is powerful.

Finally, I usually wonder, if Jesus had come in our time instead, we might av bin worse Dan the Pharisees and the saducees (those too sad to see)…. when he spat in the ground to heal dat blind man, the COMMON sense folks would have said, EEWWW… SOOOOO GROSS. Look unto Jesus, look we take every divination captive and make them OBEY CHRIST!!!!! The patient needs to go to God…. if he or she doesn’t know how… in all humility, ASK GOD

• Nnenna January 22, 2016 at 8:55 am

My own is… why did he have to prescribe a Nigerian church biko??? They don’t have churches in his own country?

• Africhic January 22, 2016 at 8:57 am

How do you negate the existence of God by being professional. I agree with @Xag’s comment. We need to be wise in our dealings being a Christian doesn’t mean that we take leave of our senses. What’s wrong with praying for the patient privately at his own time. Why recommend a church on TV and write it as a prescription. The problem with a lot of Christians is that we don’t act wisely. Even the bible enjoins us to act wisely.

• Seriously January 22, 2016 at 9:13 am

@ j suis belle

My mom’s side of the family are actually very religious. My mom’s uncle is a pastor and he’s very strong on, “God can heal a person out of anything”. I think, as a country advance in technology, medical research, breakthroughs, the more dependence on human capability because you see great results. Nigeria is still developing, they have no choice but to solely depend on God on several occasions when the healthcare system is not very strong and reliable. There’s nothing wrong with depending on God, after all HE controls the mind, everything. However, i believe there are situations where for severe certain illness, seek medical help. God gave us these scientists, doctors, pharmacists, psychiatrist, etc for a reason. God uses these people to give us our healing as well. Your ultimate faith should still be in God while on earth using the resources we are blessed with.

• Ada January 22, 2016 at 11:09 am

It’s a shame that Christianshe have allowed non-Christians to push aside Christianity in the name of “enlightenment”. Yes medical attention is required but giving a spiritual perspective should not be punishable. The earlirritating most of you realise that dark forces exist and begin to pray against it the better. We don’t live in a fairytale no matter how intelligent you may think you sound justifying it.

• austine January 22, 2016 at 11:25 am

This is indeed funny,a medical doctor talking like a native doctor after all his degree and some low thing fool’s are defending him.that’s Africa where majority are fool’s,and it is always easy to deceive a fool than to convince that is a Christian and foolishly following ur pastor instead of ur Jesus,can you point out from the bible where jesus tattered people and was giving the gallons of water in the name of holly water?.Africans that i am part of,should learn to reason with their brain and not with their anus.stop listing to all those criminals that called themselves paspastors. They are liars.magicians and sorceres .Christians walk by Faith, not by annoiting oil or water or salt or any other substance. Be a Christian if you want or traditionalist if you want but do not combine both.

• Tunmi January 22, 2016 at 4:07 pm

With all the spirituality talk, can we at least get decent roads or a proper drainage system. The Harappan civilization got it down in ancient times, shall we follow the spirituality of the Indian people.

• gia January 22, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Religion is killing nigerians’ rational thinking…
    I have some questions to all the people defending the doctor:
    Doesn’t it bother you that during the ebola crisis while the rest of the world was busy trying to find a vaccine we were busy looking for pastor joshua?
    Doesn’t it bother you that even tho malaria has been present in southern nigeria for a very long time the first vaccine was created in the west?By CANADIAN scientist(seriously tho,do canadians even know what malaria is???)
    Doesn’t it bother you that in some parts of nigeria there are people killing little kids?(Appearently because they are “witches” and “wizards”)
    Doesn’t it bother you that not too long ago a pastor who said that he was between two cities and discovered that that the fuel in his car had run out(he even checked and saw that the fuel in the car was completely gone),but because of his act of faith and on the strength of his prayers, he was able to do two hundred miles on an empty tank and got away with it??????