Ara - August 2014 - BN Relationships - BellaNaija.com 02 (1)Ara was interviewed by Vanguard Newspaper, where she talked about her music and personal life, especially her relationship life as a single parent.

On Her Music
… the pain in my heart is the fact that people don’t promote culture and my brand of music. People want to do hip-hop, and when you have something different and unique but doesn’t seem popular or commercial as they would term it, little or nothing is heard about you even though you are doing something or a whole lot of things.

I’m not an Omawumi, Tiwa Savage or Wizkid. How many people want to listen to the talking drum? We’re more accepted outside Nigeria. Maybe the perception is ‘it’s our thing’ but out there, they know what it really means for a female to play instruments. I play well over five drums. Those who really appreciate Ara’s kind of music Its foreigners that appreciate my music because Nigerians do not place value on their culture, let alone promote it. Foreigners appreciate the Nigerian culture and my kind of music even more than Nigerians, and that’s the truth.

Her Love Life
I’m not married but I have a son. I’ve not been in a relationship for a long time now and I’ve not been dating for a long time, at all. It’s for a very personal reason. I strongly believe in love; solely in love. I’m very deep, I don’t believe in flings or short-term relationship; I go all the way.

So, if I can get what I want why not. It’s unfortunate that our society has gotten so bad that our men don’t even know how to woo a woman anymore; really, men don’t know how to woo women anymore. So when women like me who are deep, who have substance, virtuous women, want a man to go a way he should go, they get scared halfway and pull out.

So, until that man comes, I’m going to wait and if he doesn’t come I’ll adopt two more kids in addition to my son and move on with my life. That’s it for me.

You can read more on Vanguard – she talks about the state of the economy, celebrity beefs and more.

19 Comments on Ara on Foreigners Appreciating Her Music More & Nigerian Guys not Wooing Anymore
  • Le coco February 27, 2016 at 3:31 pm

ara your music is outstanding… I am so amazed at how talented you r.. truly u have a gift.. as for love.. u n I have some of the same views.. I dn’t like short term fling this n that.. rather go all the way… love is a beautiful thing.. Nd to be able to share it with someone is a gift . hold on.. The person who deserves you will surely locate you

• Kaeto February 27, 2016 at 5:28 pm

I hear you. Eventhough I think and feel women look at one man to judge all men. Honestly at 22 my heart has been broken by one man that treated me so well, with love and respect. We separated without any negativity involved. Did I look at him as a man, I really didn’t care but the soul is what matters. When two souls connects that’s the bond going beyond physical attributes. Personally I can fall inlove with a soul in a females body or male body ( my own is open yourself to every possibility, you will find your heart.)

• sapele girl February 27, 2016 at 3:38 pm

really……..I believe in fling and short term relationship oooooO

• Kaeto February 27, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Finally, I think women focus so much on qualities of a man then get turned off when he doesn’t meet it. As a women be whole so when you see a guy you like, he doesn’t have to like you at first but you can purse him like a lion. Simple acts like; compliments, invite him to a show or dinner, be the sunshine in his life… As long as you have made yourself known to him, all things will fall into place accordingly in the process respect yourself for him to respect you, in every good comes the bad at that same level…. If you want a good man just know they also come bad. Even you too, you are good and also bad.

• Thots February 28, 2016 at 2:39 am

Kaeto love is not a favor but a privilege to both parties….if any party feels the other party is not worth the effort, then it’s not by force to force a union. Ara has a right to making that demand especially if she knows she is going to make it worth the man’s while. Many men are lazy today mainly because there are many women making it so easy for them to devalue them and do touch and go…..likewise, may women are so materialistic that they’ve completely lost the plot and have turned themselves into a commodity at the expense of other women who are looking for something deeper.

• Md February 27, 2016 at 4:02 pm

So when women like me who are deep, who have substance, virtuous women, “”want a man to go a way he should go”””, they get scared halfway and pull out……………woman, that is the problem you are having with men,right there.

• Mr. Egghead February 27, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Why can’t she go and woo a man? Didn’t Chimamanda say something to that effect.

It is also odd that a woman who has “substance, virtue and depth” would be complaining about a lack of suitors. Everybody knows there is scarcity of first-grade ‘wife-material’ in the market, so a woman like her should sell out sharp sharp.
    Mr.Egghead has started observing the Canadian market for wife material but the only available fabrics are usually so snobbish or believe that you must buy them heaven and earth for them to post on IG

• Bryan February 27, 2016 at 4:58 pm

If you looking for a Canadian good girl, I have lots of sisters here o, hola at your boy

• Md February 27, 2016 at 5:38 pm

At her age,she is still waiting and looking for someone to woo her.
      When Nigerian ladies have all grown wings. Ask ladies from othe countries and they will tell u how good Nigerian men are at that. They have become too puffed up. the men cant reach your heights.Keep waiting for Nigeria men to woo you while the Eritrea are busy doing women bonanza. Buy one take two. Maybe you don’t know this is era of CHANGE when men have decided to smile less, spend less, party less, marry less and woo less. Madam you’re a woman so go out and WOO a MAN and see how much you will spend.

• Lool February 27, 2016 at 7:35 pm

hahahahaha, this comment just got me laffing
        *while the Eritrea are busy doing women bonanza. Buy one take two*

Oga Md, wellu done oh

• Californiabawlar February 28, 2016 at 2:28 am

What nonsense did you just type? Try to proof read your comments for flow even if you logic is warped at least make it readable.

• j’suis belle February 27, 2016 at 5:35 pm

now girls i love braids like crazy and ara’s craft is to be respected but pls,i mean pls do not over do it or you’ll end up having ur hair grow from the middle like ara. so gurl biko i know this is your signature hair but change it,you had weave the other time and it was good.

• AfriDeo February 27, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Is this not the agony of many Nigerian women being revealed

Meanwhile #AfriDeo A new Nigerian internet TV for viewers of local news and entertainment.

• fan February 27, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Abeg take your time,marriage these days are so scary.but don’t go for another person husband oo.is well

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz February 27, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Ara is a good performer, but I think she is someone people would prefer to see performing live than listening to

• Beard gang February 27, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Put a f*#king sock in it! ‘Nigerian men cannot woo women’ Are you worth wooing? You are eccentric and your sense of style is outlandish. Nigerian men like women they understand. Go and meet Shakespeare or Casanova to woo you now. Please you guys should take it easy on Nigerian men abeg

• Fleur February 28, 2016 at 4:39 am

Okay, this is an off comment but I gotta say it. Ladies, when picking your contacts, select what works best for your complexion and natural eye color. Dont take on colors that make you look like you have cataract or some other bad eye disease.

• Tee February 28, 2016 at 12:11 pm

I applaud your openness and effort to sensitize our people to effect of their unpatriotic behaviors, however i get a feeling that Ara herself seem to be missing crucial point, the apparent neglect of culture , tradition and heritage has been going on for some time now anything cultural is now seen as archaic and bad, the fact of the matter is that after the advent of the new age Christianity which is mostly sponsored from abroad has brainwashed so many that they have lost the sense of reasoning, and these pastors are cashing in on their ignorance, what perpetuate the situation more is the fact that government does not provide basic amenities for the masses, in some communities in these pastors destroy cultural edifies of over hundred years old claiming that it is evil, China now has herbal shops in Nigeria and we patronize them but ours is seen as evil and bad; we lack self worth collectively, imagine the pyramids of Egypt if they people did not preserve it how do people of today come to know of their capabilities and their ingenuity? it is now tourist center and generating income for Egypt; these new age Christianity have detrimental effect on our nation, they stylishly taking over by the usurping the function of government by purporting to help out now they want to start building road and bridges, am sure you know what that means in Nigerian context; you say foreigners appreciate Nigerian culture that is because they are creative and open minded, creativity is not gender based it is based on ability i remember twin 77 of osogbo and his artwork was seen as diabolic in those days it took many by surprise until iya osun (white woman) came to Nigeria and gave it prominence so to speak , i used to go to osun osogbo festival with my grandma, it was exhilarating, 2 of my children studied music and my daughter plays guitar, also the Nigerian mentality – get rich quick is also in part encouraged by these so called prosperity crusaders. they display ostentatious life style so their congregation ascribe it to their being pious. which in most cases if just a smoke screen, there is so much pretense everywhere you look, Any nation that loses it culture has its identity. i could go on.

• Tee February 28, 2016 at 3:45 pm

typo.. Any nation that loses its culture has lost its identity.