Isio Knows Better: Body Shaming

Isio 1As a model, you experience body shaming first-hand before you even know that body-shaming is a word. Don’t get me wrong, this is not an “Oh, help me… I was body-shamed” article. This is an “Oh Lordy Lord! I CAN NOT BELIEVE (S)HE SAID THAT?! *Insert exaggerated, horrified palm-to-the-chest gesture just before you reach for the tea and ask the “gister” to tell you more.

Fashion models, generally are very aware of their bodies and insecurities and will (more often than not) voice out what they consider imperfect about themselves. They will scathingly point out what they consider imperfect about another colleague. Like if you get “fat” by the fashion industry’s standards.
The way my people throw around the word “fat” is comical and concerning. If you are a model and you go up one dress size, you are FAT. If you walk and your bum jiggles – you are FAT. Christian-Mama-arms? Jesus, please don’t show up. Same goes for extra-large breasticles, and that whole FAT-folding business in your tummy and back – especially when you sit.

Please don’t ask someone to help you zip up that couture dress- it means you got FAT. The moments where three frail models are panting over your FAT BACK, twisting and struggling to squeeze you into couture… is not for the emotionally unstable. You will be asked to remove couture. Couture will be given to lekpa with plenty breeze between her back and the zip. If you are lucky, there is something wide and shapeless for you at the just-in-case rack. Everyone will stare, and many will ask you, “What happened to you?” See ya life outside. Next time you will choose paw-paw over puff-puff.

Yes, my industry is brutal. No judgements. Just facts.

But you see, two of the most extreme, body shaming episodes I have witnessed with my koro-koro eyes were not by models, but were against models by non-models.

In early 2003, I was walking home from Model School with a male model who wore dreadlocks. That was not the issue. The issue was when we decided to cross the road from one side of Maryland bus-stop to the other. The issue was that somewhere in the middle of the road – where vehicles made U-turns – lurked a mad-man. A very unstable, volatile mad man. Walahi, as the mad-man sighted us, he zoned in on my colleague and went ballistic.

Shouting, “LOOKATEWWWWW! MADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD MAN! SEE WETIN YOU CARRY FOR HEAD? WAZZDIS ON YA HEAD? IF THEY SAY YOU ARE MAD NA, YOU WILL SAY YOU ARE WELL? EH?”

I furtively cast a confused look at the aggressor, noticing the irony that the mad-man himself had matted-dada that hung like mangoes from his head. Omo, I quickened my steps.

“AND YOUUUUUUUU!” Ewo! The mad man now had my time, “OF ALL THE PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD, NA MAD PESIN YOU SEE FOLLOW WAKA, EH? WAIT, MAKE I CATCH YOU…” He made a dash towards us.

FIAMMMMMMMMMMMM! I took off! Ehhhhhhhhh? Wait for where? The male model did not slack. He put his long, muscular legs to good use and gapped me sef – in crossing to the other side.

Bobo Maddie yi ko mo pe emi iyalaya runner. As we dey run, the whole bus stop scatter. I gave one Incredible Hulk leap into the next available bus – abeg, who wan die – and was relieved when we finally left Maryland behind.

Jesus! That was really intense. Na wa o. On top say pesin no like anada pesin hair. Hian.

That was most dramatic episode of body-shaming 1.
Number 2, was also with another model. This one was a friend. Although we were both fashion models, we fit into different niches. She was ultra-thin and I was lean but curvier than a typical model. I had never been stick-thin or board-straight as a model. Ezz not like I could slice off my body-parts. And while the stick-thin/board-straight was the more common model look, we both fit into peculiar niches, which meant we kept working together on many of fashion shows.

And then one day, my friend and I were taking a walk. I think I had gone to visit her at home, and we were walking together to buy something at the next street from hers. There were five guys seating/hanging by on a low fence ahead of us, and once they saw us, they started pointing and laughing. They waited for us to be in perfect hearing range and then one shouted, taunting my friend,

“Ewo, wetin be this? Na ‘uman being abi na skeleton be this wan? See leg like chewing stick!”

Another interjected, “Chewing stick abi na fish-bone? Nothing dey this wan body again o! Kai…”

“This kain dry body no be normal thing o. Maybe na AIDS.”

The five guys erupted in a laughing frenzy. “Yeekpa. AIDS O! HIV PESIN DEY PASS O! SEE BONE WEY DEY WAKA O! Breeze go blow this wan go ground o!”

Hion-hion-hion-hion! HE-he-he-he-heeeee… They snickered and laughed. Obviously mightily pleased.

My friend went home and wept, tearingly asking me if I thought she looked like an AIDS patient. I told her no. That the boys were just silly.

Body shaming.

We see it every day. Imperfect people in no position to shame you, choosing to do so in a demeaning manner. It is one thing for a mad man to go crazy at another for rocking dreads, it is quite another for a sensible being to mock another with AIDS taunts, or (oh, my… this is quite rich), for two orange albino girl-students to be pointing fingers and mocking a little white albino boy, because he was walking and squinting in the sun, under a raffia hat.

I am telling you, they went bat-sh*t crazy with laughter. Falling over themselves, slapping their thighs laughing. I was stupefied. I looked back and forth, from the two in front of me to the one they were laughing at until I told them. “I don’t understand why you are laughing at him. You do realize, that to most people, there is not much difference between you and him?”

Of all the people to mock that little boy, you would have thought that these two, who were older, who were themselves discriminated on by other students, would know better and have some empathy. But nooooooo. Dem dey laugh, say the boy no dey see road clear, say e dey waka bend-leg.

Abeggi!

If you are one of those people who keep body-shaming other people, please stoppeeet. And if you know someone who sees you in a public gathering, hugs you and says something stupid like,

“Oh my gewd! It’s been so long, you have gotten FAT!” (For sure, the pesin would say such loudly. People will turn to you to see ya reaction).

Throw your head back in confidence, and laugh. Then say LOUDER-ER!

“I know… it’s deliberate. (Now smile and say kindly) Look at you my dear, you look soooooo old [and tired]. You look like you’ve aged every second of the last 2/4/6/10 years since I saw you last… It suits you. Hope all is well?”

And then you better sashay away from that mess. This is 2016.

Errr, or maybe you shouldn’t say that. Maybe you should do what Jesus would do.

Don’t let anybody use you to gba star.  Thou shalt not be a cucumber. But in your quiet moments, face the facts. If you are uncomfortable with your weight/body and know deep-down that you need to change, then do it for YOU and start that fitness journey. Get a nutritionist, start a diet plan, exercise, research and if you don’t want stress you can simply read my first Isio Knows Better article, here for some quick/funny tips.

Don’t mind them, let them talk.

We gat ya!

53 Comments on Isio Knows Better: Body Shaming
  • beauty February 2, 2016 at 9:24 am

Its totally wrong for anybody to body shame another individual. Guys are guilty of this the most especially if a girl is slim. You hear them say things like “mehn she’s too small abeg, what will I grab or hold” Its demeaning and can cause self insecurity and low self esteem. Same thing if the person in question is on the side…

• M& February 2, 2016 at 9:26 am

Hmm. Body tingz. My 3 year old daughter sat with me a few months ago, she started pulling my tummy and then asked “Mummy why is your tummy BENDING DOWN?”

• Tuu February 2, 2016 at 9:30 am

Isio I Love you! That’s all i can say. I just love you! You know how to make a girl’s day mehn!

• A Loco Viva Voce February 2, 2016 at 9:38 am

I absolutely enjoyed reading this. And you are so right Isi. The Nigerian mentality about models is so skewed. They are either prostitutes or like you said, HIV patients. It’s crazy!
    We really need to be more open minded and send our young ones to school. That’s the only way to improve the quality of reasoning across Nigeria at large.

Take today’s poll
    HOW WOULD YOU REACT TO CHEATING RUMORS OF BAE?
    alocovivavoce.com/2016/02/02/how-would-you-react-to-cheating-rumors-of-bae/

• Taiwo February 2, 2016 at 9:39 am

Isioooooooooo!!! Missed you die!!
    Some tactless friends body shame me about my hips and butt. my response is always ” It’s a blessing, not everyone can partake of it”

• babe February 2, 2016 at 9:53 am

So many people do this and it hurts cos that’s what would be ringing in my head days after.. I saw someone one day and the person was like you ve added weight ooo, u better lose weight in front of people I didn’t know. I felt so ashamed that I am a foodie. Right now am trying to watch my food portions but it’s just so hard(I ate 3 wraps of moimoi nd bread yesterday I was on a roll) I did not even boot that portion control I totally forgot about it. I need serious motivation aswear and I really want to lose weight just that am lazy.

• Babetoo! February 2, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Please take my advise. Before you eat actual food, drink a litre of water and take a fruit e.g Apple, one banana, an orange etc 20 to 30 mins before. Also 20 to 30 mins before your food is ready, eat fruits and drink water. After your first two to three spoons, drink water and continue drinking water or eating fruits in between meals. I’m sure you rarely drink water in between meals that’s why you ate that amount. Again eat slowly. Tell yourself the food is not running away. Chew your food to mush and swallow. Swallow and drink water. I promise you, you won’t finish half a meal. Again snaking and drinking water throughout the day is very important. Don’t wait till you start to feel hunger pangs. I’m talking about snacks like groundnuts, unsalted and no sugar popcorn, raisins, almond nuts etc. You can add fruits to the mix. This might not guarantee weight loss but it will improve your metabolism 100%

Now about weight loss, before you start any exercise regime, say to yourself “whether the scale moves up, down or remains the same, I’ll continue exercising. Because exercise and healthy diet it is a way of life not a means to an end” once you say this and are convinced, most of the pressure to loose weight within a certain time frame is off. Now you can take things slowly. You can start by walking around your area for 30 to 45mins before or after work. Then you can change it up to jogging 2 mins and walking 3mins followed by jogging 3 and walking 2 throughout the 45mins, remember no pressure, no time frame, you have all the time in the world to become a marathon athlete(not athlete like that sha). Increase your goal when you feel you’ve mastered where you at.

If you can afford a little luxury, learn to swim. Skipping is also great! If there are staircases where you work/school or your home, always use them. Let the elevators and escalators become non existent to you. If you can bake or boil what you fry like plantain, potatoes, eggs and even grill chicken go for it. Gradually replace your meat with fish. Emphasis on gradually so you’re not overwhelmed. Now I must tell you, when you start doing exercises and you increase your physical activity, initially you would feel really weak and tired after you’re done working out. Don’t worry, it would give the opposite effects as time goes on. You might also tend to weigh more because fat is being replaced by muscle which is denser and that’s okay. Plus if you increase your water intake, it means more water in your tissues which adds weight. Don’t freak out, things would balance themselves out.

If you’re also a pop, soda, sweet tooth kind of person, gradually phase them out, gradually I said so you don’t notice. You can decide to start by not finishing a bottle or can and continue by eliminating a whole bottle and then give yourself days interval. At first, it’ll be all you think about but after a while, you won’t believe you drank them.Remember now, no pressure. It’s a lifestyle not for beauty and aesthetic purpose but for good health and fulfilling life. Yes, you would relapse and it might seem you cant do it. The most important thing is to always start again. You would find out with each startup it would be further from the beginning. I’d advice you to convince someone close to you to at least start with you,The person can stop when you’re confident and you have a routine in place. You just need a little support and motivation to start. Remember in all of these, you’re a beautiful human being and your weight or size does not change the fact. Good luck.

• Tbellz February 2, 2016 at 9:55 am

I’m short and I hate people reminding me….so annoying

• A Real Nigerian February 2, 2016 at 9:57 am

Someone give this woman an award!!
    She and that guy who posed with a dog on his avatar and the only people with easy-to-read, simple, flowing and top class articles on BN.

• Sophie February 2, 2016 at 9:59 am

The one I don’t understand is how these people feel they have an opinion in your life. Someone you barely know will just feel free to comment on your weight or what not. I feel Nigerians are just too darn judgemental.

• Moyo February 2, 2016 at 10:01 am

Isio that was a real clap back, how I wish I could do that to everyone who body shames my daughter who is on the big side, no one thinks of the feelings of a 9 year old, aunties, uncles, total strangers all shouting Orobo as if that is the only word they know. Although I agree that she has to lose weight but do people have to scream and then laugh at their own lame and tired jokes.

• Ada_ugo February 2, 2016 at 12:39 pm

while she’s too young to “clap back” at those uncles and aunties, you should take the responsibility and put them in their place. let them know anyone making your daughter feel uncomfortable is not welcome in your home, nor around you.

• Ade February 2, 2016 at 10:12 am

isio i dont totally agree with u; when u see a friend after a long period of time and say “omg u gained weight or u lost weight” its nt body shaming u re jst stating the obvious and am sure ur friend who considers u a friend would say d same abt u. I am a short girl and wen people see me after a period they always say omg u still short/small and i laugh because wat can i do. In this time of ‘ political correctness’ we shouldn’t completely lose our sense of humour. Not everyone is a HATER or BODYSHAMER. That being said if someone offends u unintentionally u can always tell the person so they know not to make jokes at you.SIMPLE ??.
    P.S. my epistle is directed at just friends oo people you are familiar with not a MAD MAN on the road ?

• Magz February 2, 2016 at 11:06 am

Hi Ade, it is actually body-shaming if it is said in front of strangers & with derision in their voice. I have a friend who no matter the circumstance of our “seeing” comments about how i look even before asking after my family, she does it every time! We might see next week and if she tries it with me, i plan to shut her down!
      If not for love (from us, her siblings), my youngest sister would have been grown up thinking she was deformed just because she is the only dark-skinned sister among the four of us. This body-shaming came from family friends, school teachers, neighbors etc and at one point, i had to start shutting them down. Imagine a 10-year old impressionable young lady hearing that she’s ugly just because she’s dark-skinned (this from an educator who is supposed to know better!).
      We acknowledge the fact that she is dark-skinned but we do it in such a way that she knows we are complimenting her!
      My close friends & i know the limits to which we can joke (my light skin, big forehead, big butt etc) but even at that, these jokes still have limit!
      I try as much as possible not to comment on people’s bodies cos i know I’m not perfect myself!

• arese March 25, 2016 at 1:07 pm

You took the words out of my mouth. my 2 daughters one is very fair 2yrs and the other is dark skinned 5yrs. Pple wont just allow her rest. Some even go as far as asking her if her fair sister is truly her sis. I am done being polite, for some time now. I give it back to them, straight up as it comes, leaving them both stunned and more empathic, for d next person,they might come across.

• Star February 2, 2016 at 10:25 am

I have been body shamed all my life, I’m so skinny so everyone says I should eat more, but the funny thing is that I eat a lot. Boys are the worst, they make fun of me . Yet if a girl adds five pounds they are quick to complain that she has added weight, sigh. My female Friends also make fun of me, sometimes it hurts, sometimes doesn’t.
    I grew up with low self esteem, even till now it’s still a battle and I’m 22,even my brothers make fun of me.Because I’m told often that I have zero ass I hate skirts, I hardly wear them. I just hope that as I continue to grow, I will have more confidence in my body, it just sucks, but well nobody is perfect

• tellyQ February 2, 2016 at 10:37 am

Wow! Very interesting piece especially in this age where body shaming has become the order of the day.

• Californiabawlar February 2, 2016 at 10:53 am

Come with me on this roller coaster ride…Earliest memories has my mum and family calling me ‘gini gini’, it got so bad she sent me to my grandma to get fattened up….after 2years, I came back an chubby…Then I got called ‘rumu rumu’ along with orobo…so I lost weight at 8….then I got called ‘ori judi’ as my head was now bigger than my butt…so I gained weight at 11-12….then I in my mid teens everyone was skinny so I lost weight again…until I started getting cat called cowbell cos my F cup boobies were now so prominent, so I decided to gain some weight. Finally at 22 my mum called me and said she read somewhere that fluctuating my weight was bad for my health…. I looked at her like it didn’t all start with her!!
    Body shaming or whatever it’s called starts with mothers a lot of times! For the past 5years I see my aunt constantly picking on her now 9year old for being too skinny….it’s ridiculous!! I always asure the girl she’s the most beautiful and perfect girl I know…it’s sad her mum doesn’t see it the same way and can’t even hide it.

Now I can fit to stand stark neekid in front of the mirror and just stare at my body in satisfaction…if I, emphasis on I, don’t like something, I try to change it. My huge boobs obviously can’t and never did try to defy gravity, I might get surgery later on in life but right now I see it as not after anything to fear after childbirth…you know what they say about he who is ‘down’ and not fearing no fall…get it???

• iyke February 2, 2016 at 10:55 am

We have effectively turned the adjective ‘FAT/SKINNY’ into a derogatory insult. I strongly believe that if we can accept the word “fat or skinny” into our vocabulary, just as we use the words tall, short, black, or red, we can create an environment where the term “fat or skinny” holds no negative moral value.
    On the other hand, being overweight or too skinny should never be condoned!
    #Stop the “fat/skinny” talk.
    #goodtobebackfromdigitaldetoxification

• Cindy February 2, 2016 at 1:58 pm

“Should never be condoned”?
      Tell me when to turned God that can create a human being.

• iyke February 2, 2016 at 2:27 pm

@cindy
        When God told you to eat from the fruits of the land, to eat and be merry, He didn’t ask you to overdose on them or starve yourself.Everything in moderation….if not for anything, at least for your health.
        I hope this clarifies!

• mzkiss February 2, 2016 at 10:57 am

Isio you just said whats on my mind. I’m 5.10ft tall and slim. i face this body shaming everyday. everywhere i go people start to say ‘how can a girl be this tall, it will be hard to find husband as tall guys like short girls and short guys like small girls’. it is so annoying. the worst part is when i wear heels(which i only wear for owambes) then they start to call me broomstick,long girl. Thanks Isio for this morale boosting article. Its time to start clapping back at awon body shammers.

• I’M TALL AND I KNOW IT!!!! February 2, 2016 at 11:56 am

Hian!!!!….me I’m 5.11ft tall oh and you can’t separate me from my 4-6inches heels. In fact if per adventure you mistakenly forget I’m tall/long ehn I’ll remind you self….loool. Different strokes for different folks sha. I am a tall lady and I love it. Please take their name calling as complement oh and yes your own husband will come, you sha cant marry more than 1 so forget the rest and enjoy ur height!!!!!

• AA February 2, 2016 at 11:03 am

That was how a beat fm OAP said shake it off should have been done by Nicki Minaj and not Taylor swift as she is too flat for the song, he went ahead to say Rick Ross looks like he is 60 years old, I was quite disappointed. Body shaming is bad, it drains one’s self esteem!

• ENIOLA February 2, 2016 at 11:44 am

Every time my short older cousin nags me about heels, saying they,re not meant for girls of my height, I tell him if they weren’t meant for girls like me, they wouldn’t be made in my size and that shuts him up.

• Gerry February 2, 2016 at 11:46 am

I was a size 8 wearing a 36dd bra size for the better part of my younger days plus I had a running battle with acne. Body shaming is an understatement of what I went through. I remember my dad using wooden eba stick to push my breast in when it started growing when I was 9. I didn’t let people’s words get to me, I just lived my life

• J.D February 2, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Jisoooooooooos!!!!! but why would anyone want to hide the glory of the Lord.??
      Please me i don’t mind the size oh? Dinner??

• Jezebel February 2, 2016 at 12:31 pm

What? I have heard of the many uses an eba stick can be put to, my momma used it to “motivate” me from time to time but as a breast reduction tool…that one leaves me ?

• Vanny February 2, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Whatttt?????? This is crazy.

A friend of mine is always body shaming. One day, she saw me & was like “See how your arms are just jiggling”. I didn’t reply. Barely 2 hours later, she said “Your cheeks are just too fat”. Ah ahn. I change am for the girl oh. “Why you carry my matter for your head like gala? Is it your body?” Since then, all those rubbish comments stopped.

• M& February 2, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Yeeeh! LOL! Ah I just remembered my own o….my parents sullenly called my to the sitting room one day when I was around 9, in Pry 5 I think, boobies just starting to bud. I was wondering what the problem was…until they told me to kneel down and they started praying over my breasts, that God should cause them to ‘RECEDE’ (I will never forget that English!) because I was too young! Chai! That act caused me low self-esteem for a long time, I felt very conscious of the boobs from that day and was convinced that I wasn’t normal. And of course God did not answer that particular prayer point! I wonder why…maybe because they are what my Mama gave me :). Ah, my Mum, the things she does till date, kai! Even after 2 kids, last year she seized and hid one of my dresses because she felt it was too clingy and shows off my boobs!

• poison ivy February 2, 2016 at 12:30 pm

@ Star, you’re beautiful and that body is going to be banging soonish, trust me.
    Your body size is the dream.
    You’ll gain a little weight when you get pregnant and be a smashing size 4 or 6 and all those who called you skinny will eat their words. So you no get problem, you hear.

• Bey February 2, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Even some adults do this crap. I have one Aunty that always does this. Because her daughters who she feels are superior to all are slim, when she sees me she will just say “yeyyyy, you are growing so fat, what is happening, I was watching you at so so’s wedding and you are so fat”. Mind you I’m a size 12, but gained weight as of late so I’m a 14 up and 12 down now. Iv always struggled with my weight thru d years. I gain, den I loose and gain some more. But Iv never been more than a Uk 14 even at my biggest. Last time she saw me and said again, ‘you’re going fat o”. I said yes Aunty. “I’m fat and beautiful, any other thing? She was shocked.

• kk February 2, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I use to feel ashamed and worked extra hard including starve myself cos my ex thought I was too big. A size 10 and about 6 feet tall, I couldn’t get it. Well, I’m loving myself now the way I’m am. Still size 10. I’ll look sick if I go below that cos I have always been on the chubby side. Terrible collar bone and all that. Rocking my size jare.

• lolochifire February 2, 2016 at 1:09 pm

I left uni 10 yrs ago, went 2 sch in d west, back then, being stick thin was d norm. I had hips, dt was a crime, very few pple appreciated me, those ones called me JLO, but my friends called me orobo. I tried everything to loose d hips to no avail.
    Fast forward to ds age, I’m married with 4 kids, I’m still d same size, with hips dt I now see as an asset & I’m not referred to as an orobo, those my friends are married & very fat, guess who is d go- to girl for slimming tips?

• didi February 2, 2016 at 1:15 pm

This is literally my world. i am 28, 5’10 constantly on heels, add that to my warrior curvy built stature, everywhere i go i am called a female Andre the giant. like i never go anywhere without everyone called me either giant, talley or tall orobo. funny i have a friend who has d same built, but she stands at 6ft and is also big. its so hard! i barely eat that’s d funny part, maybe its genes but its tiring. i get told almost everyday how id never get a boyfriend or husband with my physique, but hey tools cud snag a Capt abi whats his name, why not me? i have learnt to block out the daily noise, i am without a doubt a stunner( think a mix btwn Raven simone and omotola) this look is an advantage at work bcos i get the respect and no1 talks to me anyhow, and it helps get the work done, but in Love not so lucky. my last boyfriend was at least a 5’7, hahahahhahah i know, yea but that went down d drain after a couple years and now, it’s just blaaaaahhhhhh!!! but, for those who think you are being “REAL” by stating blatantly the obvious, you only make women/men like me worse. i do no have creative ability to mould myself, so please, if your comment will transform me into your idea of how i should look, by all means speak, if not, take that opinion and shove it where d sun doesn’t shine.

• Jules February 2, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Isio i think you should organise a get together cos and mayb know each other..
    I love everyone’s comment inhere mehnnn!!!

• Onetallgirl February 2, 2016 at 2:24 pm

“Couture will be given to a lekpa who has plenty breeze between her back and the zip” lol this line made me laugh! Isio I miss your articles! You are such a good writer!

• mzkiss February 2, 2016 at 2:47 pm

i don’t have the liver to even rock heels that high cuz am afraid of what people will say about how tall i look. even at work sef its all flats all through. Thanks for sharing yours. its has inspired me.*hugs*

• Tall 2.0 February 14, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Babe, 5mins is too long a space of time to waste on such consideration. Rock whatever YOU want. Don’t do it for compliments, do it because YOU want to.

I’m 5’11”, very slim build (so I appear even taller) with F-sized cups. Heels give me a certain swag and sway that I won’t give up for any silly, little, foul mouthed individual. Besides, it’s my money, my body, my style, my shoes; if u no like am, close your eyes.

• Ever Green February 2, 2016 at 3:23 pm

As for me, people tell me that I have not change and I dont understand what they mean by that, I have a petite figure and I will be 32 by September , I attended a wedding of my class mate in secondary school around mid last year and when i saw my class mates and they were looking good and so big and I was like a school girl and one teased me in a loving manner that ,iwo moyi otie fe dagba rara ni? most people tell me I dont look my age but there are times when i see my age mates and I am grateful to God for blessing me with my stature and but some people will still remind you that you must have a big boobs and a big ass as if it is a ticket for getting good husband. Any way sha my boyfriend is bigger and taller and he does not give me headache about it but na 3rd party dey carry my matter for head sey I am too small, shey una dey see my life?

• blogaddict February 2, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Exactly what my mum did to a cousin that insinuated that I now bleached, dear momma quickly told him i’m not even as fair as the baby she gave birth to. He didn’t speak further

• mojisola February 2, 2016 at 5:20 pm

I swear, if I was body shamed by outsiders or acquaintances or friends, I think I can still take it and laugh it off. It’s a shame that it’s my family who always does this to me. I only wish they knew how painful and saddening it is. I hear things like, Oyan e ti tobi ju, bawo ni o se wa saran bayi, o je rora ko ma lo be, bawo ni stretch mark she wa wa ni apa e ba yi. It’s so, so painful. They have killed my self esteem, it takes me hours to convince myself that I look good before I can step outside. Just because of the in securities they have nurtured in me with their words, my ear springs up at the slightest moment whenever I hear that there is something I can do to loose weight.

• Babe February 2, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Babetoo! thank you!

• Babe February 3, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Get another name na ! Why are u impersonating me ! Shooo

• mia February 2, 2016 at 7:09 pm

Am petite and slim, when people point out how smallish I am my response is always if you don’t like me the way I am please don’t talk to me…. I don’t have time for nonsense…..

• Aarin February 3, 2016 at 8:25 am

”Next time you will choose paw-paw over puff-puff.’ < —- LOL !! ISIO OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'“I know… it’s deliberate. (Now smile and say kindly) Look at you my dear, you look soooooo old [and tired]. You look like you’ve aged every second of the last 2/4/6/10 years since I saw you last… It suits you. Hope all is well?”' <—– I shall be adopting this LMAO!!!

• Chi February 3, 2016 at 11:13 am

Body shaming?? I had all sorts of names growing up: smallie, shorty, size kolie……
    But i refused to let those words get me down. I am a petite lady with bum bum and sometimes, people think it’s funny to give me unsavory nick names. An acquaintance started calling my shortie one day and i retorted by calling her fattie. Needless to say, she stopped it immediately. I think people ought to examine themselves before giving other people names based on their flaws. The fattest i have ever gotten to is a size 8 and i love it. Someone told me once that i was vertically challenged, i told her she was horizontally challenged. You’ve got to defend yourself against bullies. When the “christian” folks want to cite examples and use zaccheus, i tell them Jesus said, “low, i will be with you always”. I am a beautiful, petite, size 8 gal with ass and i have no apologies to anyone for that.

• Tobi February 3, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Isio..no homo……………i love you die

• Oyaga February 3, 2016 at 6:39 pm

ISIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOOBOO KITTY!!!!!!!!!

I have missed you so much!

Love this article, as usual… Subtly humorously always drawing attention to topics that matter.

Well done!

• YUMMY CHICK CUM MUMMY February 4, 2016 at 4:29 pm

@ chi @ mia, @evergreen i can relate …. even after one kid. m still d same size from uni!5’1,size6 ………. if not dt i create a tough look for myself……… high kids will think m their mates…..lol! n for the namecalling ,well so frustating and annoying,but m living with it!..i will b driving somtime n i will hear see dis small girl driving and they wont know omo girl no b pikin ….lol .bodyshaming is real o.chai. in fact there was a time i was on drugs to get fat, still notin ……i rest my matter.

• huh February 5, 2016 at 3:50 pm

“Another name” on a faceless blog. Is the name “babe” written on your birth certificate???

• browny March 1, 2016 at 1:30 pm

i remember one time in sec sch…i always write the notes on the board for the teacher
    and one time i was told “”we cant tell the difference from the board nd ur ass”..my skirt was grey and i had zero ass….i died….bt now nobody fit shame me again o…i luv my ass as it is…