Singer Essence Doesn’t Believe in Valentine – “I’m a grown woman.”

Essence-Kennis MusicUwale Okoro AKA Essence was a Kennis Music star, with songs like ‘Facebook Love’ featuring Jaywon and ‘Sexy’. In a recent interview the singer has made it clear she doesn’t like the idea of Valentine/one day love.

When asked by Vanguard what she will be doing on Valentine’s Day this Sunday, she said,

“I will be in church that day loving my God. I’m not a loving-for-one-day kind of person. Anybody that only loves me for one day doesn’t truly love me. I don’t believe in this idea of wearing Red on one day and eating lots of cake and chocolate in the name of celebrating love. I’m a grown woman; only children wait for a particular day to celebrate love.”

When asked what her favourite Valentine’s celebration has been, she says she’s always working.

“Everyday is Valentine for me, so every day is the best as well. Besides, it’s a work day for me; I’m always working on Valentine’s Day.”

Source: Vanguard

21 Comments on Singer Essence Doesn’t Believe in Valentine – “I’m a grown woman.”
  • Blah blah February 13, 2016 at 10:54 am

I honesty believe it’s only lazy men and women who haven’t been thoroughly swept off their feet on Valentine’s Day who say they don’t believe in the day.
    Be realistic. Everyday isn’t Valentine’s Day. Same way everyday isn’t Christmas. Valentine’s Day isn’t a day to show love. It’s a day to go over and beyond. One would expect you show love every day anyway. It only hurts your pocket and the recipient of your deeds is happy. So what exactly is the issue?

• Hotspice_yimu February 13, 2016 at 11:41 am

Thank you. Most Christians celebrate Christmans even though they know Christmas is an every day thing. Note to celeb who re MSW….don’t help sell the market of these newspapers/ magazine during valentine cos it’s an avenue to ridicule you. No shame in acknowledging the day for what it is cos I know you have friends who will be “childish” on that day. Na pickin wey no get money go say beer bitter. Oh BTW…I am a grown woman who celebrate love at every opportunity and tomorrow will be no different except I will celebrate it as a “child” in church with my hawt red gown (brothers in church be ready). And years to come I will do same celebration as a “Child”.?

• mango February 13, 2016 at 11:57 am

@Blah blah: Exactly. I agree with everything you have said. If Essence says this about valentine’s day, then the same applies for christmas day. Or like how it’s nice to do something special or different to mark the end of the working week (TGIF). But I think I understand where she’s coming from… maybe she sees it this way because she has observed that some people use the day to ‘atone’ for bad behaviour (e.g. being uncommitted to their partner). Practiced correctly however, I think the idea of Vals day is nice…a day to do or say something extra special for/to your loved ones.
      I have been single most of my life so I usually spend the day studying or something, then sending ‘happy vals day’ messages to family and friends. My attitude to Vals day is chilled out thanks to the fact that my secondary school (i.e. impressionable years) didn’t make Vals day about boyfriends or girlfriends-in fact they demonised such relationships lol- so my friends and I never really put too much emphasis on the day. Having said this, supposing my boyfriend lived closer, I think we would do something nice to mark the day, maybe an extra long walk or something.
      Anyway happy Valentine’s Day! Remember to be kind to people. At the end of the day we are all hustlin’ in this life 🙂

• Amaka February 13, 2016 at 10:48 pm

I have to agree with this girl. It is a one day excitement, sexual perversion, showing off what they don’t have to make others jealous and going broke for some. Let her be in church loving her God and that is ok, if you don’t like it. Get a life. That is her choice, stay with yours.

• Kay dollz February 13, 2016 at 11:00 am

Ermm BN “lonely world” was Azeezat’s debut single not essence ooo,I remember cos my siblings and I used to sing the song to piss my Aunty off cos she hated the song like die.

• BellaNaija Weddings
      BellaNaija February 13, 2016 at 11:18 am

Apologies! We have made the correction.

• Tosin February 13, 2016 at 11:39 am

Please check out Niniola’s latest video. She got pipes.

• Dels February 13, 2016 at 11:50 am

BN pls confirm o, is she still a singer? So with all the work not even a single to show for it. Madam pls calm down life isn’t that serious, just tell us that there’s nobody to spend the day with and don’t forget to leave a comment with your email address on that BN post ‘why I love to be single’, somebody may locate you

• Love February 13, 2016 at 12:14 pm

This is a statement by a “single woman “or smone whose man isn’t getting anything. And has conditioned her to think it’s okay. No shade o, bcos my hubby also says d same crap dat he doesn’t believe in Val’s day.
    But I tell him “I believe in it”. So make an effort. What stops you in spending even if it’s N6k on a box of cup cakes, even a box of chocolate and card.
    If it’s not important to you that’s fine. But if it’s important to ur significant other, atlst make an effort.

• Olanna&Odenigbo February 13, 2016 at 12:31 pm

For some reason i am not caring about vals this year….but maybe its cos my holiday flight is booked for soon after…. all d ads are irritating me already biko…like Konga and all these flower companies really gives a shit about anyone’s love life…*rolls eyes* …But of course, i support businesses making their money legally, so plsss…..splurge away. All I want is my favorite salad, an evening off work and i’m good…nobory carry me to any stuffed restaurants/resorts pls! no time for that!

• billy jeans February 13, 2016 at 1:12 pm

she can lie ehhhh….. just admit you don’t have someone who will val you.. theres no shame in being single….. it is well!!

• prince February 13, 2016 at 1:22 pm

This isn’t the issue of been swept away. I totally agree with her. What is it with the valentine thing that people wont hear word.
    Our life should be a life of LOVE for all season. You don’t set a day aside to celebrate love.
    Meanwhile, I think people should read about St. Valentine very well and know what he does. It wasn’t for his girlfriend, wife or partner. Google is your friend.

• Vanessa February 13, 2016 at 3:56 pm

God bless you! To think someone above was so silly to compare it to Christmas is the scariest thing I’ve heard all day. I’ve never understood the whole valentine day thingy. If people showed love to one another everyday of the year, instead of setting aside only 1 day in 365 days, the world will be a better place.

• orange February 13, 2016 at 1:28 pm

And she wasn’t a singer in the 90s.. more like 2000s.. do your research Bella

• @edDREAMZ February 13, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Nobody to sweep her off her feet that day.. Hardluck…..

• newbie February 13, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Music star in the 90s with songs like ‘Facebook love…? Bellanaija are you sure abi she be winsh? Facebook only came out in 2004 and even then I don’t think it really took off in Nigeria until 2007 at the earliest.

• newbie February 13, 2016 at 11:09 pm

I see a correction has taken place. Well done BN.

• keke driver February 13, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Now y’all are hating on the poor girl if I talk now, it’ll become a National topic..mtcheeeeew
    anywaiz my dear Essence did you just say you’ll be working on valentine’s day? lmfao singing to who na? people that love and celebrate valentine? #DoubleStandard #GetAManIn2016

• Chic February 13, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Awwwhh…stop ds bitterness plz. It’s a time of showing love… That said, I need a Val.

• February 13, 2016 at 6:09 pm

…and you don’t work on Sundays na…madam essence, rest biko

• tamunotonye February 14, 2016 at 1:44 am