Wizkid gets featured in Vogue.com as “Nigeria’s Best-Dressed Pop Star”

Wizkid

We love how our music stars are getting a lot of international recognition. It’s amazing and well deserved.

Wizkid, who was featured in Fader Magazine a couple of weeks ago (click here) was today featured on Vogue.com and described as Nigeria’s Best Dressed Pop Star.

The 25-year-old superstar had a chat with Vogue.com via Skype and he shares his shopping habits, his favourite brands and more.

According to Vogue.com, Wizkid “has become almost as known for his trendsetting style as his sound, and his is a thoughtful and fun approach to wardrobe: clean lines and minimalism; a mix of fresh streetwear with traditional Nigerian clothes; and bold, bright accessories.”

See excerpts from his interview below.

On shopping in Lagos: I have local tailors out there who make me traditional stuff. So I get material from Lagos, and I have them make me pieces. I mix them up with whatever I wear. I have a whole lot of tailors. The fabrics are from different parts of Nigeria. We have the tie and dye from the western part of Nigeria. We get stuff from the north. I mix it up. When I’m back home, all I wear is African fabric. All I really rock is the traditional stuff. That’s the in thing right now. That’s really coming back. Back in the day, our parents used to wear it every day, and they still do, but now it’s cool for wee young ones to wear it. It’s amazing. We’re doing it differently. We’re having it a little bit more fitted. We have styles on it, embroideries and stuff, by local people, made by hand, designed on it.

On Lagos style: Lagos style is fresh and different. Even with the tailors, they get very innovative with their stuff, with the cuts. When my parents used to make the traditional wares, it was a little bit baggy. But now the tailors are able to infuse the European style, making it slim-fit. Lagos style is different, man. Innovative.

On his traditional outfits: I design everything myself, and I get them to make it. I do a little sketch; sometimes I just sit down with a tailor and describe what I want. Sometimes we go back and forth, like, for days, trying to get it right. Sometimes it’ll take a day to make it, sometimes three, four days. I have a lot of tailors. If I want something made in 12 hours, it will be made in 12 hours.

On his style growing up: Growing up in Lagos, I wasn’t fortunate enough to get the fresh stuff when it was new. There was this place we used to go to find stuff that had been shipped from America, like secondhand clothes. I used to rock a lot of Reebok, just a lot of sporty stuff.

On launching a clothing line: I’m hoping to release a clothing line after my EP, planned for April. It’s going to be tracksuits, T-shirts, hats, and African attire as well. I’ll have a special line for traditional [clothes] with my tailors. Taking Africa to the world.

Read his full feature here.

36 Comments on Wizkid gets featured in Vogue.com as “Nigeria’s Best-Dressed Pop Star”
  • Muri February 19, 2016 at 3:14 pm

So proud. He’s already done fader and now vogue in the bag. He is definitely Nigeria’s best dressed.

• Jezebel February 19, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Muri – I agree! I thought dude was going to start designer shop dropping like the popular blogger but no he was honest about his humble beginnings and about rocking traditional clothes.

The day I stopped going to Linda’s blog was when she said she doesn’t know how to wear traditional Nigerian clothes. That was the the day I knew the little madam “I-made-it-without-an-aristo” was full of shi*. My oyinbo hubby wears traditional Nigerian clothes at home, to events and for walks. He would wear it to work if he could but oh no it’s not good enough for some people.

• confused February 19, 2016 at 5:04 pm

you had to let us know your husband was white huh??? oya chop banana….hiss!!!

• Oma February 19, 2016 at 5:34 pm

This Linda talk never do? Hian. What’s d connection now? Besides, there are people who do not like wearing our traditional attires! And it has nothing to do with having money. In fact it is cheaper to buy cheap China readywear than to get trado material and then pay a tailor to sew it. #freeLindaIkej

• SS February 19, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Oh shut up jezebel,enough ofdegrading linda.if you like don’t visit her blog,millions are out there opening her page every min,must you relate everything to her,why the hate?she does like traditional wears,is that a crime,does that mean she’s proud,same linda that could change and start putting on trads later,must you judge people,you wish you were her so bad…….nonsense

• sexy diva February 19, 2016 at 9:12 pm

zip it already…i have a colleague at work – we are civil servants…igbo girl, speaks igbo like mad but i have never seen her wear traditional since i joined my parastatal 12 years ago…..ironically i just told her that today and she said she wasn’t used to it…she doesn’t do all this asoebi stuff sef…..so unless you know her personally and can confirm she is lying just shut up… not everybody is used to wearing traditional attire cos they are nigerians…i dont know linda so cant say, but i hate all this attitude of forcing people in a box…

• Damisko February 19, 2016 at 10:53 pm

@confused

Comprehension is your disease. Jezebel mentioned her oyibo husband to make a point that a non nigerian, even different race wears our traditional clothing with no problem let alone a nigerian. So, linda born and raised in naija is forming like traditional clothing is too low for her to wear.

• King Bae February 19, 2016 at 5:14 pm

I actually enjoyed his article, he seems so humble. Love you Wizkid!!!

• keke driver February 19, 2016 at 3:15 pm

“Best-Dressed Pop Star”?? Lmao

• confused February 19, 2016 at 5:04 pm

POP star – yes….LOL!!!! like Nigeria/ africa has a pop music scene worth mentioning….oshisco!!

Lotta naija, South African, etc artistes that dress better than him for sure……Publicist & PR campaign at work here.

Davido got FADER mag cover and now this one wants to top that….boy have several _/ _/ _/
      just allow Davido be, your money no reach Omo Baba Olowo levels….lmao

• Idomagirl February 19, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Didn’t Fader do a feature on him weeks ago before the Davido article? It’s even up there in the post.

• eyong February 19, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Lmao, I’m sorry, not to hate, but who else was on the list? If they had really done research, instead of googling and looking for the most recognizable name they could feature, then PATORANKING would have been the one to make the cut. Anywho, being featured in vogue is still big sha. Good for you bros.

• Lol February 19, 2016 at 4:44 pm

Timaya for me is the best dressed y’all should go n check his ig accounts

• Tosin February 19, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Good luck to him, nice article, nice guy.

• Bimpe February 19, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Lmao they should have said Kcee was the best, now that would really make me buahahahahaha.
    I think they used the term ‘best’ because I think he’s only African artist they know lol…. You know how ignorant white people can be. However, Wizkid style is really IT… He dresses really well for his size and all sorts. Kudos

And we as Africans need to remember that we don’t need acknowledgement from the western world before we realise that we are ‘baddies’ ?? #WeAReITmenh

• prince February 19, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Best fire. where Dbanj dey. who dress reach kokomaster among them. are you sure these celebs don’t go as far as paying this mags for PR.

• xag February 19, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Nah. That title belongs to D’Banj. Except he’s not a star anymore. Wizkid is better known internationally tho.

• King Bey February 19, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Yimu

• Beckie February 19, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Lol for best dressed POP star i kinda agree.
    But what bout KCEE now!

• Lala February 19, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Do I think he’s the best dressed no, but I like how he talked up our 9ja tailors because they have really improved

• Lol February 19, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Please what the heck did i hear you say wizkid is very dressed!!!!please y’all should go check timayas ig account then you know who the best dressed is I thing timaya needs to work on his pr team cos he’s not really getting the recognition that he deserves

• Lol February 19, 2016 at 4:42 pm

*best

• babs February 19, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Best Dressed Nigerian POP Star?? Hell Yess!!!!!!

• AmericanWonder February 19, 2016 at 5:07 pm

That’s just the work of his pr. An active pr team petitions for their clients to feature in the press unless you’re A* list.

• ATL’s finest February 19, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Kudos to him.. I know Wizkid does know a thing or two about fashion:) but others does it better than him. Timaya & D’banj.

• aikay February 19, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Vogue is beginning to loose its credibility these days, they had better remove dt horrible looking Anna wintour dt claims to be the world’s most respected fashion editor and funny enough non of her attires makes sense to me. She dresses weird and looks horrible. I wonder what she smoked this time before she published this obviously false article. I luv wizkid but when it comes to mens fashion, Dbanj truly is number 1 followed by banky w. wizkid is still in SWAG department with his jeans and trainers but these other ones have gone DAPPER in their style of dressing.

• anon February 19, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Best dressed African P-O-P star, Timaya, D’Banj, and every one else you guys mentioned don’t do pop, what did ms. Wintour do to you. You just decided to randomly badmouth her for what exactly?

• anon February 19, 2016 at 6:36 pm

*Nigerian not African pop

• Dlovely February 19, 2016 at 8:07 pm

we cant forget Olamide and Patroranking. they kill it every time….

• jhennique February 20, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Olami-who. You think it’s by flaunting guiseppe Zanotti?

• ahhbyy February 19, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Timaya’s style is just a breath of fresssshhhhh air! but I think what they really meant was ‘pop’ as in, popular culture dressing just like his music. in that case he IS very well dressed. and his shoessssss… don’t even get me started

• Nadia February 19, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Nice ……. But whats with this his toilet-seat pose all the time na?

• nene February 19, 2016 at 11:40 pm

he doesn’t want people to realise how short he is

• C February 19, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Baba Nla Wizzy .

Why why why do we yearn for western recognition . You think they care if we listen or not ? Do they include us in their world tours ?

• Busarni February 20, 2016 at 12:58 am

This is an expensive joke na; vogue even you. I don’t want to hear tomorrow how Wizkid gave $200,000 to vogue magazine to name him best dressed. Wizkid cannot dress to save his life