Nutritionist Ayo Van Elmar Shares Effective Tips for Losing Tummy Fat | Watch

Nutritionist Ayo Van Elmar is out with episode 3 of her “Eat Right Africa” show and on this episode she shares effective tips for losing tummy fat, fast.

According to her, “Carbohydrates and starchy food converted into excess energy is stored as glycogen, and this is the reason behind protruding bellies. Many of us Africans, especially women, worry about the amount of fat that is stored around our tummies. We run off to buy cinchers that somewhat flatten the belly; these often feel uncomfortable, doesn’t improve health and only compresses the storage tissues. Have you considered having at least one salad per day? Replacing one of your meals, perhaps lunch, with a bowl of salad and some fish or chicken? Salads are healthy and loaded with vitamins and minerals. They are a quick fix too! You’re just literally cutting stuff and throwing them together. Doesn’t take more than five minutes of your time.”

Watch below.

43 Comments on Nutritionist Ayo Van Elmar Shares Effective Tips for Losing Tummy Fat | Watch
  • Oloye March 2, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Thanks very much Aunty Ayo. We promise not to eat again!

• Babsybee March 2, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Dear Oloye, this isn’t for you! Didn’t you hear her say it is for those who are seriously considering losing fat in their tummy?
      So stop playing stupid! If you like eat, if you like, don’t eat!

• ThatGhanaChick March 2, 2016 at 5:32 pm

Lol Baaba, Calm your nerves wai

• Jo! March 2, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Awon stans, take it easy Abeg. You people don’t know you hurt the people you’re defending more than you help them with this online voltron nonsense

• Jo! March 2, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Loooool. I tire. Talking about what you can eat she could only say beans, “eat beans for breakfast, lunch and dinner” haba!
      I hope nobody is taking her tooooo seriously, I mean, she’s right, just not too realistic if you want to lose weight, take it gradually, if you eat 4 slices of white bread, reduce to 2 and eat two wheat and so on…just take it easy and gradual until you’re eating mostly healthy.
      I’m not w huge fan of cold turkey weight loss programs, I think it’s more sustainable when you take it easy and gradual

Well done though Ayo, you’ve got good intentions

• lotus flower March 2, 2016 at 6:22 pm

I agree. Her tips are good for if you are trying to lose weight asap. However, what happens when you reach your goal and try to re-introduce rice, eba, etc into your diet? Her tips are just not sustainable! Is it really realistic to expect that someone will only eat beans? And she says to eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. LOL Okay, for how long?
        I think the ideal, in addition to regular exercise, is to cut down on the quantity of these starchy foods, and increase our intake of fruits, veg, and proteins. COld turkey is a recipe for disaster in the long-run.

• Hiya March 2, 2016 at 8:07 pm

God bless you. Anyone who follows the route Ayo is talking about is very likely to fail in their weight loss journey. You don’t just wake up one day and cut off all the food you’re used to eating all your life. Cut them out gradually, it’s much easier that way.

• GeeGee March 2, 2016 at 4:57 pm

My dear Ayo… are you sure you are talking to Nigerians?

• Alex March 2, 2016 at 5:26 pm

You’re saying Nigerians who set their mind on achieving weigh loss have zero discipline? That’s an insult. If you want, you can do it! You just need to have the will and be serious about it. Abi na food dey control you?

• jd March 2, 2016 at 5:27 pm

thanks Ayo, I seriously need to get off my tummy fat and this is 9 months since I had my son. i’m def going to try this right away. please keep the videos coming, its very useful.

• bekee March 2, 2016 at 8:01 pm

lmao….. go and do liposuction like caroline danjuma did!!! but i bet you’re still beauriful just the way you are!!

• damseldam1 March 2, 2016 at 9:21 pm

lol i would have done that if i had the money….yeah colour me ‘lazy’

• Oloye March 2, 2016 at 5:30 pm

@Babsybee, must you be this insane to respond to me? You are just too frustrated…

BN if you like don’t post this!

• ThatGhanaChick March 2, 2016 at 5:32 pm

Lol Baaba, Calm your nerves wai

• somewhereinjupiter March 2, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Oloye, I agree with you. Yam, rice, spag, eba are major features in our meals. we cant keep eating only fruits na, abi this diet is meant for someone outside this country?

• Preye March 2, 2016 at 6:02 pm

If your tummy is not fat, why bother? She said chicken, fish, beans… eggs too na proteins. We all grew up with quaker oats. Wheat bread too, she said. So why the badmouth? It’s for those who wanna lose belle quick quick. I’m getting married in August and am so gonna be following this video on BN henceforth. Carry go Ayo!

• lifeisbeautiful March 3, 2016 at 8:56 am

Yes, remember stay away from quick oats or white oats as they are mostly “over processed”. I usually buy the old fashioned or steel cut oats (but they are more expensive ). Eating healthy In Nigeria can be expensive oh.

• Rolly March 2, 2016 at 7:00 pm

There are 2 types of carbs – simple and complex carbs. A lot of people consume excessive simple carbs and processed foods. Complex carbs are actually good for you! Oatmeal, pasta, whole grains, vegetables, beans, potatoes, yam are good!. We Nigerians just need to watch our portions. We also need to exercise!! Carbs are good, they are only 4calories per gram ( same with proteins!!)! Also, don’t eat too late. You can’t be eating pounded yam at 9pm at night, and be expecting a flat stomach.
    For me, the issue with our Nigerian diet is the oil!

• Rolly March 2, 2016 at 7:04 pm

…but I definitely agree with Ms. Ayo on eating more vegetables, and less carbs 🙂

• FitnessGoal March 2, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Rolly i like your profile Pic sha 🙂
      Just showing off and things. Abeg give us more advice. Me i want to hear . Did you loose weight or you have always been fit. Any advice will help, Spring/summer is coming (yes we naija have four seasons too 🙂 🙂

i want Angela Basset or Michelle Obama arms
      I want Minnie Dlamini Legs and Thighs
      and I want Jennifer Lopez Abs.
      As for ass – i got no problem there at all. I got plenty – very round big and firm 🙂

• Rolly March 3, 2016 at 4:02 am

Thank you FitnessGoal! you’re funny, I like you lol!
        I haven’t always been like this o. It’s been a serious hustle.. I’m now a pro on the subject.
        But i’ll share a few tips that have helped me:
        -For example, I weigh 125 pounds, so I run or skip for a total of 125minutes/week for my cardio. I spread it out through the week. So 30mins run on monday, 30mins weds, 35mins friday, 30mins sunday.
        – Strength training, which is weight lifting. 2ce a week. When you gain muscle, you burn fat in 2 ways. When you are exercising, and when you’re not. Muscle is an active tissue, so you burn more calories when you gain muscle…even when you’re not working out 🙂
        -I stopped cooking with excess oil. Replaced my oils with coconut oil, and I reduced my fried food intake (Baking is an alternative).
        -I replaced yam with sweet potatoes. I still eat yam and rice, but not much, and I load up on veggies.
        – I made skipping/jump ropes my best friend. I usually skip when i’m watching tv.
        -To loose weight, you need to get a 3500 calorie deficit. 3500calories = 1 pound.

I especially like the part of Ayo’s video that says that we shouldn’t get all our carbs from rice, yam etc…There are good carbs, like she said.

So to get Michelle Obama arms, I recommend trying boxing and combat classes (These classes are on youtube).
        Minnie Dlamini Legs and Thighs: Squats, lunges, running…Strength training will give you sexy thighs!
        JLo abs: you need to loose more fat mass to see your abs! More veggies, and good carbs (like in Ayo’s video).

Rolly 🙂

• Jagbajantis March 2, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Abs are made in the kitchen and not the gym. Without a proper healthy diet, you are wasting time running yourself to stupor on a threadmill. If you like lift 100kg dumbells like Mighty Igor or Power Uti, or wear a girdle or Victorian Corset tighter than a pigeon’s punani, that wont give you a toned torso.

Losing belly fat requires some discipline and consistency. You dont need to get it right 100% of the time. Aim to eat clean with macros of about 40% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fats forming your diet. This can be adjusted depending on your age, weight and what you intend to do.

Like Rolly said above, your carbs should mainly complex ones – sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat wraps, whole wheat pasta, and in a controlled portions.

White rice is overrated. Rice is a blank canvas which needs spices and condiments to bring out its taste anyway. Brown rice/quinoa if prepared right is just as tasty.

I recommend a vegetable called acorn squash. I dont know if its in Nigeria (it should), but it tastes just like potatoes with none of the carbs. Dice it, and stir-fry in vegetables. Hella awesome.

• Felinda March 2, 2016 at 9:45 pm

thanks for your info – i will look into that squash thing. I seen it here (US) in farmers market but i didnt know what it was used for. Now that you said it willl buy some this weekend. Please can you give a recipe.

Another nice low carb food is Cauliflower. I seen some vloggers using it to do stir fry and it “looks” delicious – almost looking like real friend rice.

• Jagbajantis March 2, 2016 at 10:50 pm

Hi Felinda. Acorn squash is awesome. A whole squash is just 172 calories, and a typical one has 4-5 servings. The only thing is that it is quite seasonal, even in the US, so it may be hard to find once summer hits.

A good recipe consists of the following:

– One Acorn Squash
        -Extra Virgin Olive Oil
        – Red and Yellow Bell Peppers, sugar snap peas; Sweet baby carrots, Onions
        – Mushrooms (optional),
        -Shrimp (optional)
        – Get a pack of Broccoli Slaw. It comes in a package which you can buy from HEB or Trader Joes or Kroegers
        – Spices – maggi/knorr, curry, thyme, cameroon pepper (optional), suya pepper (optional)

You would also need a Wok Pan

This is my own recipe so I would describe it as best as I can without the technicalities of a chef.

Dice the Acorn Squash, and remove the seeds and innards. The back is edible.

Heat about 2 tablespoonfuls of Extra Virgin Olive oil in the pan. Add the onions. Then include the diced mushrooms and then the shrimps. Stir fry for about 3-4 mins.

Add the Broccoli Slaw. Allow the slaw stir fry and heat up but dont let it get too soft. Crush the knorr cubes and apply to the mix.

Then add the diced squash. Squash in its raw form is a bit hard, so you want to allow it get tender a bit. So the allow about 5-7 minutes while stirring it, Add more oil if required, but just teaspoon (especially if you cooking the whole squash).

The squash should be brittle to the bite once thorough cooked like a well baked potato.

Add the bell peppers and baby carrots last – you want these as close to raw as possible. Spice everything.

Viola – you have a meal right there of no more than 350 calories per serving.

It takes like a cross between a potato, water yam and a cucumber. Weird I know

• Rice-is-bae March 2, 2016 at 10:02 pm

I don’t understand why you hate rice so much or when people diss white rice!
      Rice is bae!
      Oh my, I get offended for rice when people insult it like you just did
      Rice plus stew
      Rice plus efo riro
      Rice plus egusi
      Rice plus ofada stew

mehn, the onl food that maybe comes close is maybe moimoi, but even then, byt the time u combine affordability, ease of preparation and time needed, rice always comes out on top.
      So please show some respect for rice.looooool

• Jagbajantis March 2, 2016 at 10:55 pm

I dont hate rice , but i dont feel there are health or nutrition benefits to be had from eating it everyday. Do you know why this generation is obese and many are suffering strokes and heart disease at an early age? Rice when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s used to be a special meal. We ate it once or twice a week – Sunday plus another day, then at special occasions like weddings and birthdays. Most families did the same – they had beans or swallows on alternate days. People were more active then. There were no cellphones, and people walked more.

Now people want to eat more rice and white carbs, and exercise less. Thats a recipe for disaster. I dont believe you should eliminate white rice totally but moderate it.

• Marc Francis of Chelsea March 2, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Really? Eating less carbs and more vegetables will reduce belly fat? You don’t say. Should I exercise as well?

• Eatrightafrica March 3, 2016 at 8:10 am

Yes, exercise is always an option. There are many health benefits. I’ll discuss exercises in the season 2 episodes and what to do if you can’t get to the gym or you don’t have much time but can spare 5-15 minutes daily without leaving your house.
      Ayo Elizabeth

• Felinda March 2, 2016 at 9:41 pm

some of you are so negative. Either you life her video or you dont.- Personally i like her video and i give her an A, she explained it very thoroughly. I hope to watch more videos from her educating us on different stuff on nutrition.

I know she doesnt mean eat like this for the rest of your lifes, she is just giving you tips how to loose belly fat and possibly fast assuming you need to an upcoming beach vacation or wedding or whatever. I wouldnt mind forgoing the rice yams and corn meals if my goal for the month is to loose belly fat for an event.

Please people use your freaking common sense and stop acting like you just come off the short yellow bus.

• quiet confidence March 3, 2016 at 12:49 pm

@felinda, your statement “……………… and stop acting like you just come off the short yellow bus” is very disrespectful not only to those you were responding to, but moreso the people who ride/driven on the “short yellow bus”. I am sure if you had inhaled and exhaled slowly before typing, you would have come up with a better way of getting your point across.

• Felinda March 2, 2016 at 11:09 pm

Jagbajantis Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu <3 🙂

• yejide March 3, 2016 at 12:31 am

Hello Ayo,
    thanx for this. it is so so helpful.
    Could you please advise on nuts ; types to eat and quantity.
    Also, your views on replacing sugar with honey

• Lose Weight Naturally March 3, 2016 at 3:36 am

Another exciting thing about fruits and veggies is that they provide effective building blocks for the body cells and help slow down the aging process.

• sally March 3, 2016 at 7:01 am

Kudos Ayo…dear Fam…Pls wer can I get Spelt flour/pasta etc in Lagos…Pls save a soul, my cheeks get puffy anytime I eat carb no matter how little…Pls help…thanks

• Eatrightafrica March 3, 2016 at 8:08 am

Good morning to you all dear BellaNaijarians!
    I’m glad that this REVIEW EPISODE has been engaging us! Thank you all for watching! I hope you picked one or two useful points that you can apply personally. I’d like to throw in some clarity. I’d gotten an email query from a lady who’s getting married in April and wanted to know how she could lose her tummy fat fast. This means she has to see quick results and so I shot this REVIEW episode for her. Sometimes, like Felinda mentioned, there’s an event or occasion coming up and we wanna look dope or a get a better shape. E..g. You know your Ex is gonna be in town next month and you’re likely to run into him….lol….Truth is we all have different reasons for wanting to lose weight fast. Once again, the REVIEW episodes are answers to your questions either via email or online. So please bear in mind that most REVIEWS may be peculiar to certain persons, however I believe we will always grab a point or two that we can personally apply, or discover something we didn’t know before. The tips from REVIEW 1 aren’t intended for a lifetime but for specific periods that need FAST SOLUTIONS TO FAT.
    Love you all,
    Ayo Elizabeth

• lifeisbeautiful March 3, 2016 at 8:57 am

Beautiful woman reminds me so much of my cousin!

• lifeisbeautiful March 3, 2016 at 9:08 am

I find eating healthy in Nigeria to be quite expensive even some veggies and fruits are way too expensive. I’ve even resorted to growing some of my own veggies and herbs in my backyard. I am however one of the fortunate few who can afford to buy the healthier options at the supermarket such as olive oils, oats instead of semolina and such.
    I would like to see a video or article on how to creatively cook some of our everyday foods in a much healthier way. For instance, my friend taught me how to make beans porridge using tomatoes instead of the heavy palm oil and it still tasted great!

• Lauryn March 3, 2016 at 9:18 am

Thank you for this Ayo, I have take appropriate notes. I have one big question.
    I am slim, size 8 precisely. and I have a massive belly which is unflattering. My fear with sticking to your tips is that I will lose weight cos I happen to lose weight very easily. it took me a long time to move from a size 6 to 8 and I really like where I am, I love what I see in the mirror. It is just this horrible belly fat. What can I ever do??

• Lauryn March 3, 2016 at 9:29 am

• Super K March 4, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Nigerians are highly opined sha…Well, its not rocket science that this may take a gradual process, but its very achievable. You can gradually cut down on intake and of course it requires top notch discipline …Super cool job Ayo… I just hit your subscribe button on Eat Right Africa YouTube channel…I can never miss the next episode

• Amaka March 8, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Well done! Looking forward to new episodes!