Obiageli Ojogbo: That Awkward Moment When You Realise Old Age Has Crept In

dreamstime_l_4749908It was Friday; time to relax from a stressful week and the best way to do that was to go to the cinema. I decked up in my short shorts, crop top, threw on my boots and I was ready to roll. I looked at myself in the mirror and I was pleased with what I saw “girl you are sexy!!!”

I had ten minutes to kill before I could enter the theatre, so I decided to get my popcorn and drink and chill at the entrance when two lovely young ladies (probably 18) walked pass me. “Good evening” they said and walked off to get their popcorn. Truly, they were polite but their smiles, looks, gestures and GREETING rubbed me off the wrong way. They looked so lovely with their wrinkle-free faces, curvy waist and luscious bum that all I heard from that greeting was: “hell, what is she doing here, what is she wearing, can’t she see that this is not her scene?” I looked around and then I noticed (what I had not noticed before) everyone looked so young that I now felt so OLD.

This was the precise moment I realised that I had crossed to the other side. I mean, I know I am not a spring chicken, but I never really considered myself as OLD. I didn’t think people saw me as someone “not young”. It was a sad awakening. I know I would not be young forever; I have nothing against growing old, however, the moment I realised that I was indeed old, it was most depressing. I began to recall those times when I was young and yuppie. I could not remember passing through them, it all seemed hazy now. If I did a strip dance now, would it be sexy or would it be tagged as: “abeg whose aunty is this”, on funny African pics?

I know that this crossing over feeling is triggered by different things, but I was not ready to be aware just yet, I needed a little more time but as they say “what you have seen cannot be unseen”. The irony of it all is that some people may never experience this crossover, as they would remain in the ignorant bliss of being young. I guess they are lucky (or maybe not).

Ten minutes are up; I walked subdued, behind those girls into the theatre, all the while thinking: “they do not even know what they have” (someone probably said the same thing about me when I was their age). Call me malicious, but there is one thing I know for sure and I am happy about – nature is fair to everybody and there would come a time when these youngsters would be where I am now, and they would probably age worse and feel worse.

Now with that as my solace, I watched the movie with joy – tomorrow I would probably feel down again but I will pick myself up and enjoy my life as a “mature” person, hoping it would be a very long time before I am made aware that I have become “elderly”.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

61 Comments on Obiageli Ojogbo: That Awkward Moment When You Realise Old Age Has Crept In
  • Spunky March 14, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Own it sweetheart. Ageing is just a natural process.

• Amaka March 14, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Everyone will grow old and it is pretty sad that it comes to some people suddenly. How you spent your time will determine whether you will enjoy the process or not. Discover your purpose in God early on life and stay focused on it. Finally, let’s dress our ages, that really helps. There is a way you dress that shows that you are aging gracefully. Mrs Alakija is a good example in my opinion. She dresses her age. You can dress so well for your age that even younger people would wonder how you did it.

• Suwa March 14, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Lovely piece

• kinda awkward March 14, 2016 at 8:22 pm

All I know is I’m not ready.

• Swizzle March 14, 2016 at 8:30 pm

You are an undergraduate and u r feeling old? Better enjoy your like o! Before you actually get old.

• Jikbuyer March 14, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Pls who wears short shorts, crop top and boots to go to the cinema???? In which part of the world was this? South Dakota? Florida? Ikeja? Peckham? Lolz hunnay? Maybe that was why those young’uns greeted you love – such an outfit would scream TTH #AuntyIyaboTinz

• Minka March 15, 2016 at 9:58 am

Hackney! 😀 More of good evening ‘Aunty’, we see ya!

• Babym March 14, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Buhahahaha this made me chuckle, I realised I was getting old when I couldn’t tell the difference between chief keef, future and whiz khalifa! Let’s just say I lost major cool points with my 16 year old cousin lol

• Apples March 14, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Aging and being aware of it is a long process… we want to continue wearing what we used to wear in high school or Uni days.

Most times, it’s Cuz we are still single that’s why we feel we shouldn’t change what we wear or do.

• Bowl March 14, 2016 at 8:58 pm

well, I don’t know what to say !

• Somebody March 14, 2016 at 10:32 pm

These days I suffer indigestion when I eat late unlike in the past when I could wake up in the middle of the night to make dinner, even the body system don decide to age. Ko buru.

• Tincan March 14, 2016 at 10:54 pm

I wrote this! I wrote this, I am sure I wrote this ?. My moment was about 3 months ago. We were doing a bonding exercise in the choir and were sharing what we thought was special about one another (in like a speed dating fashion). So that was how one of the girls said to me: “What I like about you is that you come across as being very genuinely interested in me. You don’t come across like those ‘aunties’ who…” Wat! My people, that’s where I stopped hearing anything she said, as in, did I just get called an Aunty, oh Lord my Daddy! Till date, I am still traumatised. Every spirit of looking a day older than 27, I bind you, I bind you. I biiiiiind youuuu.

• Mz Socially Awkward… March 15, 2016 at 1:55 pm

??? Wait, you got “Aunty” and you’re “velzing”? Just this morning, I was canvassing the opinion of close girlfriends because someone who’s probably the same age as you are called me “ma”. And, granted that by close of this month, I’ll be turning exactly 10years older than 27… But still, “ma”?? That na title for my mama dem, na, how you wan put me for that status in my 30s?

Said girlfriends are of the opinion that I should encourage the “ma”, I tell dem say I no fit.?

And as for those who are usually a few years younger than you but will loudly hail you as “Big Aunty” in public… Not sure if that’s to make the perpetrators feel younger but side-eyes to you all in spades… ??

Otherwise from such annoyances, abeg “lerrus” own this process of getting older and keep your ish on point at any age, my chicas!! … because, the alternative is death, mbok…

• Kokoro Dudu March 14, 2016 at 10:54 pm

Sorry old bird, times up. Hope you have kids as what’s left of those eggs may not be as good as before. Now that you are old and spent, what do you want to do with the rest of your life before your bones start creaking.

Time is a bitch, it deals with us all..

• lauren March 15, 2016 at 4:31 am

How sad and quite sinister of you. There is no factual evidence to back that up. There are women in their 20’s struggling to conceive and women in their 40’s popping kids out for fun.
      I’m 38 and I’m super excited about the future. I’m healthier, wiser and richer than I was 10 years ago. Did I look better? Hellz yah but I reckon what’s inside is far more important. Besides, I can train myself to be a size 8 again but my life experiences are priceless. I never lie about my age. Age is a function of time which is a direct gift from God. The past is not the future so let it go and take back your life today. Oh and moisturise.

• somtoo March 15, 2016 at 4:06 pm

I cant even be mad at this dude. hahahahahaha. Darling, you sound so ignorant – its quite hilarious actually hahahahahah

• debbie dibs March 14, 2016 at 10:58 pm

It hit me the day some girls called me “aunty”. Yup…and I’m single. Cried throughout my 32nd birthday. After all the wonderful things that have happened in my life – including 2 advanced degrees in top 5 universities, meeting some of the most powerful people on earth, winning all those whatever number of powerful young people in Africa awards – here I am, 32 and crying over 2 girls calling me aunty because I am single (I do not know this for a fact – but I think I would feel different if I had a child and a husband). Well, I also know I would not trade my life for anyone elses’s – I want more, not the alternative of a husband + child without the amazing experiences God has given me. Aunty Indeed. . Whatever, we slap on that foundation and all the make up it takes to stay on top of our game, God dey.

• Marian March 15, 2016 at 1:21 am

Lol, went through the same thing. Home girl was like, I look up to you and she was stating all the reasons.

• african girl March 15, 2016 at 7:32 am

hahahaha that’s funny

• Mz Socially Awkward… March 15, 2016 at 2:01 pm

There there… *soothingly patting you on the back*

Ngwa, let’s go have some mocktails and a big ole girlie rant. ??

• somtoo March 15, 2016 at 4:13 pm

I turn 30 next month. i”m freaking out guys The first of all my friends to hit 30. ….Now wailing and sobbing.

• bruno March 14, 2016 at 11:00 pm

secret of the sands, the first ever season of super story (suwara and toyin tomato), passions,fuji house of commotion, sledge hammer (trust me I know what I’m doing), the tv station DBN, magic school bus.

if u know what these things are, u are old as f**k.

• Marian March 15, 2016 at 1:17 am

I’m still looking for secret of the sands! Can’t find it anywhere. That was my show. NTA had me on lock down on Thursdays for superstory. Nah! Forever young Lomo!

• Nahum March 15, 2016 at 1:49 am

I hate you Bruno…lol. You are so mean

• Ada Nnewi March 15, 2016 at 5:28 am

Bruno you are wicked sha… my baby sister’s teenage mates still try to toast me yet I know all you listed…

• Luqman March 15, 2016 at 9:08 am

Wicked Bruno..Lol. Let me help you to add some movies into your collections (Checkmate, Koko Close, Awada Kerikeri (Baba Sala), and Mount Zion Evangelical films)

• mz titilitious March 15, 2016 at 9:18 am

Hahaha na lie, I watched all those TV series and i’m still young thank God everyone says it… 😛 swt 25 duhhhhh

• ibukungeorge March 14, 2016 at 11:43 pm

I took off my weave a month ago and saw one strand of grey hair at the front of my hair and I almost freaked out.I put a call swiftly to my mum and I was almost sobbing on the pHone saying ‘Mummy i just saw a strand of gray hair on my head .Mum told me to calm down and she was like thats strange because we hardly grow grey hair in the family but don’t worry you will be fine .She prayed for me and all(which is so true.My mum is almost 70 and i can count her gray hair.My grandma is almost 100 and shes not that gray haired,so where did I get mine from so early at 30sss) Growing old is part of life process ,I have resolved to live a day at a time .Afterall God got me! No worries at all. Baba loo se Ohun gbogbo

• Manny March 15, 2016 at 3:33 am

I got grey hair in my early twenties and my father said it’s a sign of great wealth.

• Yori March 19, 2016 at 6:31 pm

You are a by product of your mother’s and father’s genes!

• Lovylovy March 19, 2016 at 6:31 pm

If you live in the UK, is the water……

• Miss Anoni Moss March 15, 2016 at 1:05 am

OmG I am going through the exact same thing and it feels really weird, most times I have to be careful how I speak, I can’t properly express my love for some boy bands or crush on them  I find myself googling most celebs to check their dob, and the one that baffles me the most is everyone around me seems younger. I don’t mind getting older but I do miss those days when I could do whatever I wanted just because I could.

• Nahum March 15, 2016 at 1:55 am

I wish we women could embrace aging the way men do. Aging is a wonderful process, (in my opinion o). Maybe I feel this way because I played the HECK out of my youth. I did everything a young person was supposed to do. I don’t regret my age at all. Maybe we women should be more adventurous and daring. Use your youth to experience life and don’t turn yourself into a wife-in-waiting at 21. Maybe this is why we are so depressed about aging. When I hear 26 year old girls saying”time is ticking, I must marry” why should we wonder why aging scares us? Men don’t put time limits on themselves or God, why should we?

• Tunmi March 15, 2016 at 1:00 pm

???? I can’t wait for my gray hair to come in, I have the perfect low-cut hair for it

• Mz Socially Awkward… March 15, 2016 at 2:15 pm

I think you’ve hit on exactly why age bothers us so much – we don’t do enough in our 20s most times and when our 30s roll round, we’re panicking because of all what we haven’t realised in the past decade.

Ladies, don’t waste a minute of your life. Don’t let anyone convince you that sitting around makes you more of a “viable” prospect. Live your life, I beg you, enjoy the taste of the freedom you have now TO DO ANYTHING. Aging will seem like a natural consequence of time well spent, when you employ that time productively.

Sorry for the mini-sermon but I’m able to say all of this from firsthand experience of squandering years by putting life on hold as a wife-in-waiting.

• Manny March 15, 2016 at 3:34 am

• lulu March 15, 2016 at 4:17 am

@debbie dibs wetin make me say since you are feeling dis way. I am 39yrs and feeling sexy. I refuse to get old oooo. We go rock this life together.

• Toni March 15, 2016 at 5:20 am

Mine hit me the other day when i was listening to Raskimo’s “Wata Gwan” and my daughter was listening to Yemi Alade’s “where is my Johnny “

• divine March 15, 2016 at 7:49 am

Yeah…this happened last night. I was listening to some cool Lagbaja and my nine year old cousin and his little sister said I should stop playing that boring song, they wanted ‘Ashimapayin’ Wande Coal tins

• Omalicha March 15, 2016 at 5:38 am

I know secrets of the sands and I’m 18 years old! Though I started watching tv early. I remember shola sobowale as toyin tomato. she ran mad and she used to sing a particular song “my name is toyin tomato ………” Can’t remember the lyrics in details, I know she was made mad too, Can’t really remember the full story sha. The memory is foggy. I watched all Wale Adenuga Productions from this life, to odd world, to papa ajasco and the superstory. Am I old?

• Olanne March 15, 2016 at 6:38 am

Oby! Did you attend Early-Life?

• Mabel March 15, 2016 at 6:52 am

I think watching my parents getting older is more heart wrenching for me. I remember walking with my mom in the mall one day and I was walking at a somewhat brisk pace and I realized my mom was not keeping up, and I was wondering why she can’t walk faster, and then it hit me like a tone of bricks that my mom was getting old. All my life I was the one who had to run to keep up with her and then the tables were turned, and it did not feel good at all. As I see the aging processing unfolding my greatest regret now is not cherishing the times of my youth with them, now I realize how precious they were and that they will never ever be again.

• Mz Socially Awkward… March 15, 2016 at 2:16 pm

?? Preach.

• lauren March 15, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Mabel, it is indeed a most heart wrenching realisation and I was already in my 30s when it hit me. But I didn’t let the impending stop me. I began to spend more time with them and paid them a lot of attention. I stopped being bratty and mouthy especially to my mum. Our relationship really changed for the better. I believe time is relative only to how you spend it. I’m so thankful my parents got older. I mean how else would they still be alive? I thank God for every year and that I don’t allow the fleeting fancies of this world daunt me.

• african girl March 15, 2016 at 7:54 am

My own realisation of old age came dawning on me came last night when, while listening to the radio, i screamed when VengaBoyzs’ We’re Going to Ibiza came on! I danced around with joy, whipped my braids back and forth and sang along with with so much pride you’d think i composed the song. But when the song ended and the DJ said ‘Back to Back Sounds of the 90’s’ i immediately went into a state of depression.

My niece says i’m her coolest Aunt though, Lord bless that child!

• MEE March 15, 2016 at 8:04 am

• missy March 15, 2016 at 8:24 am

Growing old is not a problem, it is not even about living life to the fullest, but that moment (maybe seconds) when you actually feel older. For me it happened in uni, I spent a lot of time at home , so by the time I got in I was the oldest in my class (and I was just 21!). I of course got over it but there were moments I felt OLD

• Obiageli March 15, 2016 at 8:50 am

Thanks for the comments. The inspiration for this article was actually my sister. She was telling me about the time she missed my father’s call because she was in a meeting, he then sent her a text saying “she is 27 and too old for such a behaviour”. That statement really got her thinking.

• Ariere March 15, 2016 at 9:01 am

I reallybdont understand the big deal about getting Older. Everything ages. Its the course of nature. Everything ages and dies at some point and its okay.

Getting older is sort of a blessing and a lucky thing. Cus Life is a ptecious thing to experience and living is thr only way to be in it nd living longer only means getting older.

Recently, a friend of mine was just lamenting and bn depressed Cus she will be hitting the big 0ld ’30’ in dome months time. She’s already married with a Son, has a loving husband, a successful business of her own so i didnt get her worries over leaving her 20’s for good. So I told her a sly joke about just upting to drop dead right now so History will forever mark as Young and 29. Needless to say, she didn’t take the joke so kindly. Lolz. So what’s the fuss about aging when u naturally don’t wanna die young or ever?

• Personal Signature March 15, 2016 at 9:24 am

The main reason people feel this way (especially ladies) is cos of the feeling “i haven’t achieved anything yet”

I don’t have money yet, no millions in my account, no husband yet, no child of my own, no car of my own,…..A feeling of underachievement

[Then I commended pleasure and enjoyment, because a man [without God] has no better thing under the sun than to eat and to drink and to be merry, for this will stand by him in his toil through the days of his life which God has given him under the sun. Ecc. 8:15]

• Iyaomoyibo March 15, 2016 at 10:45 am

I get my age from the market – Ogba, Agege, or even Balogun. LOL.
    “Sister, come and buy” became “Aunty, come and buy”. By the time it turned into “Mummy come and buy” I knew i was riding the age train well. I once got an “Iya Aburo, come and buy” form a young meat seller. The evil eye i gave him made him sweat! Iya Aburo – Mother of my younger ones! Dude, be very careful (so ara e o!)

• Paris5thave March 15, 2016 at 11:49 am

Lol. This is an interesting piece.

• Babe March 15, 2016 at 12:21 pm

The kinda venom that erupts from me when people call me mummy in the market eh! Chimo I’m just turning 30 , what’s my offence.

• beautiful onyi March 15, 2016 at 12:58 pm

you see you guys….. people are praying to God for life, most of you guys are here crying over someone calling you aunty or your getting old or whatever your reasons are….. everyone one is going to get old and that is were wisdom comes. most of us focus on superficial things which is why you all complain over the silliest things about ageing. it is what you do with the short time you have on earth that matters… moisturise, love God, build your empire, read books.. if you’re not married yet, it will happen but start praying and go our more often. love yourself and take care of your self, go exercise, drink more water, stop eating much junk, drink more vegetables, deep moisturise your skin with coconut oil….. etc… stop focusing on age but live a fulfilling life cause ageing is inevitable!!!

• Yo!!! March 15, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Joined a BBM group recently… Lets just say I felt like a grandma… lol… leaving it soon.

• debby March 15, 2016 at 7:19 pm

am 47 and I tank God am still looking good at my age pole don’t even blv my age, but we need to av it in mind a day will come when we will all grow old and nothing we can do abt it