News

Why do you keep DEFAMING us? District 9 and Sony, we’re talking to YOU!

district-9 NigeriaThis weekend I decided to see the new movie, District 9.
I had heard that this was one of the first major Hollywood/South Africa collaborations and as ‘Lord of the Rings’ producer Peter Jackson was heavily involved in the movie, this made it seem even more appealing. Plus, trailers for the movie had been running for a few months now and my curiosity had been teased. So on Sunday night, I dragged my significant other for a trip to the cinema. Little did I know that I was in for than I expected.

*Minor Spoilers Ahead*

District 9 is a ‘documentary style’ movie about aliens arriving in South Africa and the chaos that ensues after their arrival. The aliens are housed like refugees in a slum called ‘District 9’. As with any slum, they have a set of hoodlums, a set of mindless thugs that run the seedy underbelly and guess what they are ‘NIGERIANS’!!
As we sat in the movie theatre, a scene opened and we see a bunch of dirty and crass criminals negotiating all sorts of criminal behaviour with the aliens.
In the documentary style of the movie, one of the characters being interviewed goes on to explain that – allow me to paraphrase – ‘things got worse when the NIGERIANS moved in, they sell guns, they run all sorts of scams, run human-alien prostitution rings, do voodoo/mutu and they are headed by a crimelord they call OBASANJO…..’
Yes, they went there! They named the movie’s ruthless and psychotic crimelord after one of Nigeria’s former Presidents.
I seriously wish I had the visuals to show, it was disgusting!
The audience at the cinema gasped and you could hear some sidetalk all around the theatre – people were quite outraged!
Throughout the course of the movies, the ‘NIGERIANS’ are portrayed extremely negatively. Basically, as ruthless savages! Believe me, it was bad!
Granted, this is a movie but you and I know that for many around the world, pop culture is their ‘school’, Opinions are perceptions are formed around what they see in film and hear in music.
The movie is actually a solid effort but the defamation of Nigerians and Nigeria totally distracted from that.

Some of District 9 'Nigerians' in action

Some of District 9 'Nigerians' in action

I wonder why a fictitious country was not used, why Nigeria?
I am also very surprised that 3 days after the film’s release in Nigeria, there hasn’t been much of a reaction. I know for sure in China, Germany or other countries which frequently find themselves as the subject of movies or have their citizens frequently portrayed as the villains in movies – there would have been some sort of official position on this or the press would have made more of a fuss. I can’t believe I gave my 1500 naira to a filmmaker that has no respect and regard for me and my people.
We know it is just a movie but believe me, the potential negative impact of a blockbuster movie on Nigeria’s image seriously outweighs any positives that ‘Good People, Great Nation’ ads being flashed on CNN might have.

While we are on this, have you seen the Sony PS3 ad? So it’s so sad that ‘Nigerian millionaire’ is now synonymous with the email scams. Just like Mr. Ponzi will always be associated with ‘Ponzi schemes’ but Ponzi was a career fraudster. Why is all of Nigeria being shoved in the same box?

By the way, Boorish Male saw the movie as well and chose to channel any negativity from the movie into positive energy. See his post HERE

If you saw the movie, let us know your feedback. Even if you didn’t, so what are your thoughts on this?

UPDATE:
Nigeria’s Information Minister – Prof. Dora Akunyili’s response

Living & Celebrating the African Dream! Catch all the Scoop on www.bellanaija.com Follow us Twitter: @bellanaija Facebook: @bellanaija Instagram: @bellanaijaonline

1. Gbo Gbo Bigz Girls

September 7, 2009 at 9:38 am

I HAVE NOT SEEN IT YET…will dash #200 to the mallam on the street and get the pirated version. Shit …lord know my money ain’t going to that bullshit. Is there anything that can be done? Can these guys be sued by an upright nigerian citizens coalition? And yes why could they not have used a fake country like ‘ZAMUNDA’….the Obasanjo thing is even a last straw. If the used George Bush, I know how my american brothers and sisters would react…..BOYCOTT the damn film

2. adams

September 7, 2009 at 10:28 am

they just love painting us….is really crazy how they potray nigeria and nigerians in this cruel and disturbing manner,i think our media should wake up too..these people saying crap about nigeria havent been to africa talkless of coming to nigeria..they re all ignorant and stupid people.

3. matt

September 7, 2009 at 10:53 am

I don’t think you realise only a few Nigerians were portrayed in this film, that being ganglords and gangmembers, not the whole Nigerian population… are you telling me they don’t exist because i’m pretty sure they do. What a shame you can’t enjoy the film because of this, i didn’t let the portrayal of greedy, racist and exploitative whites ruin it for me.

4. Mama

September 7, 2009 at 11:33 am

Honestly speaking…Nigeria is hardly ever portrayed good in most foreign movies. The Americans enjoy antagonizing any country that has some measure of strength in them…It went on from Germany,to Russia, to Iraq…well Nigeria too. If they didn’t find us interesting, they wouldn’t bother about us.

Not seen the movie yet but I am not going to be bothered about their depictions of Nigeria. Nobody bothers about something that is of little interest to them. We rock and they know!!!!

5. seun

September 7, 2009 at 11:34 am

My little say on this one?These “whities” will never consider us, they’re just expanding that hate they have always had for black people and it’s not that really suprising.I think we just have to start portraying them in ours movie too.

6. joy

September 7, 2009 at 11:48 am

These useless americans, are they not a shame of themself look at maddof that steal everybody money up to 65billion dollar, i have never see any nigeria that have steal that kind of money, also talking about internet fraud amerians they are no 1 in the world, americans should first settle their house before talking to nigerians they are also bunch of asshole both america and sony, all the dangerous things in the world they are all in america and south africa what is that useless south africa man talking about. boycott the damm film and sony. Is only nigeria that have the right to talk to their leader the way we like, an outsider don’t have the right, becos their leaders and their countries is not perfect.

7. Toks

September 7, 2009 at 12:11 pm

To Matt below, I haven’t seen the movie, but if the leader of all the Nigerian criminals was called Obasanjo then the intentions of the movie-makers are pretty damn transparent. Granted I know that Nigerian-run crime rings are a huge problem for South Africa, especially in Johannesburg – the Nigerian quarter is one of the most dangerous parts in the city – but as Bella said, an outright denunciation of a country, using its former President too, is incredibly disrespectful and says a lot about the director’s motive to speak in ‘covert’ tones about Nigeria as a whole.

8. BiBo

September 7, 2009 at 12:52 pm

I have not seen the movie (not out where I am at the moment) but I can sympathise with the feelings expressed in the article.
    I do have a question though, echoeing Matt’s comments above, are you of the belief that there isn’t a tiny element of truth?

Whilst I acknowledge that the majority of NIgerians are law abiding, honest, hard working and fun (have that joie de vivre about them), I have had interactions with some who go out of their way to perpetuate the myth about Nigerians being scammers, etc. But then again, you can put that down to there being good and bad people.

Perhaps when South Africans first watched Tsotsi, they did not like it because of what it portrayed.

It’s sad that often, the negative aspects of certain characters of some areas are portrayed as ‘gospel truth’ but let’s not lie to ourselves that these things don’t happen.

9. EagleEye

September 7, 2009 at 1:03 pm

The fact that a real country was used in this movie should cause outrage by citizens of that country. The name of a real country, and the name of a former president? That’s taking it too far.

Whether or not the types of personalities portrayed exist in the named country, it is still unconscionable. Nigeria is not the only country that has such people. A fictitious country would have been good enough.

I’m sure the movie did not label these bad people as a “few Nigerians.” They were labelled as Nigerians, and we don’t need more of bad publicity than we already have.

10. uguysramazn

September 7, 2009 at 1:17 pm

knawa oh,this movie is a must see as people are vexn,boorish now bella..hmm

11. uguysramazn

September 7, 2009 at 1:22 pm

we must indeed deal with them in the best way we can,pscheww,mumu white people,dont they just stink

12. Obi-talker

September 7, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Like seriously I wrote about this last week on my blog and saw the Ad the week b4. I am surprised that Bella you are just getting to this now. but its okay aleast if we all join our voices..writing online maybe we can make enuf buzz about this nonsense called advert.

13. FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere

September 7, 2009 at 2:26 pm

off couse there is an element of truth but that doesnt mean it should be used in movies and ads to ridicule us especially the hardworking and honest people.It doesnt make it right and it is not up to another country to be pointing that out in a fucking movie and ad campaign.If AT ALL another country wants to tell us the gospel truth they should fucking wait for a world summit and decently point out our flaws and then go ahead proscribe solutions to them. I saw district 9 and i was disgusted!They kept on referring to “Nigerians” so many it was like the writers did it on purpose to discredit us.
    Yes we do have dubious people, we have crazy and selfish leaders but what country doesnt have that.Look at America, shebi it was the selfish wall street folks that caused the recession, about the thousands of Americans that hack into accounts of individuals and stores to steal credit card details, identity fraud nko, it occurs everyday in united states,serial killing nko?The ponzi scheme by Bernard Madoff nko? As in this people should give me a fucking break which country doesnt have scoin scoin (shout out to Mr.Fine boy)…

14. FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere

September 7, 2009 at 2:31 pm

then go ahead to proscribe solutions to them

15. FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere

September 7, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Matt you obviously are not Nigerian…

16. FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere

September 7, 2009 at 2:37 pm

perhaps it is also because of the on going wahala btw S.Africans and Nigerians living in SA…In recent times many Nigerians have immigrated there and i know that recently there was an outcry against it…. so maybe this is all tied to it…who knows!!!

17. Lola

September 7, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Sometimes I don’t understand Nigerians. All day everyday, I listen to fellow Nigerians bashing Nigeria, the government and its people. Now that others are taking notice, we are all up in arms about how unfair it is.
    Though I don’t agree with some of the portrayals, I will say that what has been said about Nigeria in the American media is nothing that I have not heard before from the mouths of Nigerians themselves.
    Also, I have seen district 9- and yes, the portrayal of Nigerians in that movie is questionable. If Nigerians don’t want others bashing them, then we should all try our best to address many of out nation’s shortcomings.
    Lets not be in denial. And don’t act like you don’t complain about Nigeria all the time, because I can almost be certain that most of you have- yes, myself included.
    Also, what the hell is with the Nigerian government writing a letter to Sony about the fact that they should pull the advertisement? Like, really- talk about displaced priorities! There are many bigger issues that the government should be addressing but fail to,yet, they are quick to issue a statement to SONY. Again, displaced priorities on the part of the government.

18. Lola

September 7, 2009 at 2:55 pm

BTW- Nigerians everywhere can rejoice (I guess). SONY has changed the commercial and excluded the bit about “being a Nigerian millionaire”.
    Doesn’t change the fact that there are many more important issues still facing Nigeria that the government will continue to ignore. Just shameful…

19. KayBayBay

September 7, 2009 at 3:06 pm

It’s a shame Nigeria is being portrayed like this I must admit. In all honesty though it isn’t like Nigeria has the most peachy clean international image in the 1st place. What we have got to understand is that when some people think about Nigeria their only conception or preconception about the country is bribery, fraud and overwhelming corruption (the usual really). Its very sad but is something we have to deal with and keep trying to change (because I know we are trying). I highly doubt this is the 1st and well surely not be the last time our country will be presented in this light especially in Hollywood. As for the depiction of us Nigerians in South Africa as mindless thugs it really is indeed a shame that a small number of Nigerians in South Africa can have such a negative effect on all of us as a whole. I guess all we can really do, especially those of us who are in Diaspora is to try and continue to promote ourselves positively in the best way we can, and make the international community and the Hollywood big dogs eat their words (and preconceptions) and realise what a great nation we are.

20. Ayanteju

September 7, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I’ll be buying a pirated copy of District Nine and will probably follow it up with a scathing review.

21. ola

September 7, 2009 at 3:45 pm

I just bought a PS3, and i really like that AD.

22. Ladybrille

September 7, 2009 at 4:05 pm

This is great news. I called their PR team last week at the corporate headquarters and threatened to do more harm than they can imagine if this was not fixed ASAP. I presume other Nigerians did the same.

A step further would be to remove the video on youtube and other social media sites. If everyone writes to youtube to take it down esp. since Sony has now removed video, they most likely will.

Cheers,
    Uduak

23. Ayodeji

September 7, 2009 at 5:09 pm

I also complained to Sony and I’m glad they took the ad down
    Yes, I often express my dissatisfaction with my country but it doesn’t give anyone else the right to do so. Why?Because, it is my freaking country and am aware of our struggles and challenges, and yes, triumphs that others don’t understand!

24. Why weren't the aliens called Afrikaaners?

September 7, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Nigerians(including the government) spend enough on Sony products and equipment to be able to object to such a portrayal. The company doesn’t think it’s a Nigerian millioniare when it’s collecting Nigerian money, right? It was a joke, but a misplaced one. They have removed the Nigerian part from the ad, and their message is still being delivered.

You speak of Nigerians putting Nigeria down, so what? I can call my mum on her faults in the family but it is not in anyone else’s place to do same. EVERY country has issues, dealing with them internally is NOT a free pass for people to take the piss. As for South Africa, all I’ll say in those in [email protected][email protected] glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. Why weren’t the aliens called Afrikaaners? EEjits

25. Tinto

September 7, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Who says the ad has been taken down? I just saw it on tv, 2mins ago (fox 5,east coast).

26. FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere

September 7, 2009 at 6:22 pm

wow!!!glad we have so many proactive people in our midst….we really are a great people…most as with most things negative always pevails!!

27. Omoge

September 7, 2009 at 8:44 pm

I saw it too like 2 days ago. I’m also on the east coast…can’t remember the channel. To be honest, these people don’t care as long as no one does anything. I can confidently tell you that if our government stands up and says something about it…loudly, they WILL pull those ads COMPLETELY…and fast! No one wants a lawsuit on their hands. Is it not the US again? Here anything goes…as long as the other party is ok with it. But you know the kind of government we have now, they are busy holding going all over the US holding owambe “re-branding” parties.

28. Bebe

September 7, 2009 at 9:45 pm

i really dont see what is wrong with the sony advert. Listen to the ad fully, dont just stop and vex when u hear ‘nigerian. The guy was just talking about e-mails and lies [which r very synonymous with nigerians…].
    To be candid, it is okay for kelly abi is it kevin handsome to sing maga don pay and olu maintain to sing yahoozee, all them songs glorifyn ‘yahoo yahoo’ and we dance bcos the joke was on them…well its on us, and one that has being a long time coming.
    Lets stop whining and do something about improving the image! signing petitions to take the advert off tv doesnt change people’s opinion.

i havent seen district 9, but i’m most def not watchn it in a cinema, i fit vex scatter d place! lol!

29. Moi

September 7, 2009 at 9:59 pm

I wonder the idiot that came up with such an asinine idea… geez!

30. fre

September 7, 2009 at 10:41 pm

whatever!!! if we really care about our image then we should do something about it already and stop whining. the average nigerian thinks the international media is painting us black and focus on the bad but really, you cant blame them when the bad outweighs the good.
    the whole world looks up 2 us as d giants of africa as we boost but we keep disappointing in every aspect. its good they are painting us our true colour so we can finally sit up.

31. nurujay

September 7, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Seriously, I was soooo looking forward to this movie cos as a sci-fi fan, it marked a departure from meaningless monsters and nihilistic grunge crap to sci-fi films that seek to stimulate intelligent discourse by taking on loaded issues and depicting them onscreen to provoke positive change.

Now, I’m sadhappy. Why? Cos they’ve gone and taken our Nigerian issues and placed them squarely in the cross-hairs.

Filmmakers like Neill Blomkamp take on the tough issues and basically point their finger in the faces of those who stick their heads in the sand and say to us: “Yeah, I said it! Yeah I went there! Change or sue me!!”

In once sense, the growing media spotlight on all things Nigerian (from american tv series to ads to hollywood movies) is an embarrasment. But then again, on the other hand it might just be the kick in our collective behinds that we all need to force change. Abi?

ps… been following your blog for awhile Bella. Love its evolution. I thiink it is definitely becoming a crucial piece of the puzzle that is Nigeria’s solution.

32. AM

September 7, 2009 at 11:17 pm

About the advert, so true! Nkem Owoh sang “I go Chp your dollar” and Yahooze and the likes have been in the airwaves and accepted y Nigerians so we can’t complain.

I’m sad about the commercial but we called it on ourselves. Our young men and leaders.

Next time tell we should tell our boyfriends, brothers, cousins doing yahoozee to quit. Or tell your corrupt fathers to quit corruption and make Nigeria ‘honest.’

33. Ladi

September 7, 2009 at 11:24 pm

But most Nigerians in South Africa sell drugs, do scams, counterfeit dollars and run prostitution rings…The movie is pretty much true-life only a bit exagerrated. My South African friends in America are appalled by the way Nigerians have messed up Joburg. And our leaders are corrupt no doubt so its easy to conclude that both rich and poor, educated and uneducated are a bunch of nasty aliens.

Truth hurts! I think its about time we do something to fix not only our imag but our behavious in other countries.

As honest as I have been, my green passport in the airport is enough to constantly embarass me through extra searching and scrutiny even in Thailand!!!! We have a bad image but its deserved.

34. mikey

September 8, 2009 at 3:24 am

Hello…? Nigeria used to be the 30th richest country in the world per head of population, now its nearly a failed state on the verge of civil war. Stop whinging about what the world says about you and clean your act up. Instead of whining about the names you get called why not do something in your own backyard and throw out the corrupt politicians, get back to the rule of law and make your country great. You have immense resources, both in minerals and people, but take a look in the mirror. Is this a nation to be proud of?

35. FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere

September 8, 2009 at 3:41 am

…the decent Nigerian tries to portray a good image whenever they can but when the media is constantly in our face how will the positive ever shine through? they are so bent on focusing on d negative all the freaking time…

36. FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere

September 8, 2009 at 3:47 am

There are times i talk about how retarded and annoying my brother can be to my friends..yeah its my brother i am allowed to say it..but God help any of my friends if they refer to my brother in the same manner….that’s the same way i feel about Naija…yes we are allowed to complain about our country but wetin consign Hollywood director!!!

37. Strength & Honor

September 8, 2009 at 4:37 am

Sorry but I don’t see what the big deal is. I think we Nigerians have much more important things to MAKE NOISE ABOUT (corruption, bank failures, govt that is asleep at the wheel, #lightupnigeria, ASUU strike) than a silly Sony commercial and a movie (I liked District 9 … great movie and no Hollywood faces … what a relief).

U wanna burn some time do it talking to your leaders … not the marketing department at Sony.

True Talk.

38. Omalichanwa

September 8, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Yes we have issues like every other country on earth (including the US)…the only problem is nobody is addressing them. Madam info minister should be able to address this issue because we shouldn’t take it like just another hollywood movie. it’s not like the US has such a squeaky clean image as they so like to portray and as every desperate Nigerian likes to believe. I won’t go as far as to say they should apologize to us because they won’t and nobody will enforce it ‘cos most of our leaders are such doormats. Do you really think they would have the nerve to call a crime lord in any movie ‘putin’? that’s what we get for being nationals of a liverless country.

39. Zenna

September 8, 2009 at 4:56 pm

you really dont have clue…

40. Zenna

September 8, 2009 at 5:03 pm

@bella & boorish its a good thing you guys see the problem and recognise it…so where do we go from here, how do we make an impact as concerned nigerians to prevent this from reoccuring?
    i say, we agree to blacklash the movie all over the web and write a petition. its sounds over ambitious but really consider our population and the number of people online…anything is possible

41. Zenna

September 8, 2009 at 5:07 pm

plus the movie should be banned in nigeria, by our information minister (Dora), because its goes frustrates all her efforts

42. dmoe

September 8, 2009 at 5:07 pm

I am beyond pissed…..from what I hear, Sony has decided to pull the ad with the derogatory comment and then replace it with another one. This was in response to an online petition signed by many Nigerians. I have not seen District 9 and will definitely NOT be seeing it after this. If we don’t take a stance as a people, we will continue to the butt of more tasteless jokes, ads, movies etc. I think I have steam coming out of my ears!!!

43. Zenna

September 8, 2009 at 5:12 pm

am sure they can be can be sued

44. ANAYO EZIMUOR

September 8, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I AM A NIGERIAN WHAT ARE WE COPLAINING ABOUT. I LOVE WHAT SONY DID, WHY? BECAUSE WE NIGERIANS IS LAZY, DESTRUCTIVE, CAWRADS, CORRUPT AND CRIMINAL. WHAT SONY DID IS INCONVINENT TRUOTH FOR US. I AM LIVING IN UK BELIEVE YOU ME THE WAY WE NIGERIANS COMMUNITY ARE LOOKING FOR MONEY IS DIFFERENT FROM ANY OTHER COMMUNITY. NIGERIANS IS INVOLVED IN DIFFERENT TYPE OF CRIMINAL ACTIVITIES FROM PRESIDENT TO NURSERY SCHOOL CHILD. IN WHICH I AM A VICTIME OF MY FELLOW HEARTLESS NIGERIANS BOTH AT HOME AND UK. IF COMPLAIN ABOUT WTHAT SONY DID, JUST AHAVE A LOOK IN OUR COUNTARY STUCTURES OUR LEADERS ARE HIGHLY CORRUPT, ALL OUR INSTUTIONS HAVE FAILED. NOW KIDNARPING HAS BECOME DAILY NEWS. THERE IS NO SMOKE WITHOUT FIRE. SO FIGHT TO CHANGE OUR IMAGE. BECAUSE PEOPLE IN OTHER SIDE OF

45. Agulefo Izuchukwu

September 8, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Anayo,
    I doubt if you are trully a Nigerian and that you live in UK. Your post shows how far from the point you are! I guess you are also running around the streets of UK snatching credit cards and passports as you could not write a single correct sentence. The point the writer is making is that you cannot defame a whole nation and demonize their democratically elected leaders because they happen to have a high percentage of fraudsters in their country. Indians and Lebanese and other Asians are perpetrating all kinds of crimes in Nigeria but does that give anybody any right to insult the whole Indian or Lebanese nations and insult their leaders? Of course no! These firms are supposed to be fictitious but using the name of real country and their former leader in the way described in District 9 is outrageous and needs to be condemned and if possible take some serious actions against the firm makers and Sony. I hate Obasanjo as a person but he was our leader and one of very few Africans to relinquish power peacefully albeit reluctantly but he deserves some respect.

46. Punisher South Africa

September 8, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Anayo or what you call yourself, are you sure that you were not a victim of your own waywardness? From the way you express yourself i wonder if you ever went to school or you are really living in UK. I do not support crime but I do not as well appreciate anyone deliberately denting the image of Nigeria and Nigerians. There are worst criminals everywhere including your so called UK and if Nigerians are doing whatever, mind you that they are not alone in such crimes. Citizens of whichever country are involved. You talk of corrupt leaders in Nigeria,what about UK? have you been listening to news or maybe you don’t have a radio or TV. Please, be objective next time you want to express yourself. Yes, it is true that our brothers and sisters are into such crimes but that is not a reason for anyone to make a public nuisance of entire Nigeria and Nigerians.Nigeria is bigger than you as an individual.Not all countries will take that lightly including your UK.

47. maturity

September 8, 2009 at 9:01 pm

I must say that i have read a lot of the comments here and felt compelled to comment (this is my first time commenting on bella naija…i do love the site by the way)
    First things first, i did not get the impression that the writer claimed that we Nigerians have a squeaky clean image. We all know that we are plagued by corruption et al.
    Granted, but that does not give anyone the right to use it as an ad or to make a movie (of which the movie stoops so low as to even use Obasanjo’s name…come on!!)
    And then to make matters worse you have some people posting here saying we deserve it? its not about deseved, its about the morality behind it..No one can do that to America or Britain or some of the strong countries of the west…there will be an outrage…and its not because these countries are corruption free (i once read, that it took Texas, a city in the USA, 90years to get rid of ‘open corruption’..even with simple things as dissing a fellow musician or using fur to make a bag, people go on demontrations which lead to the decline in sale of such items…bottom line is action is taken..whether we blog from now till the end of the world, its not gonna take corruption away and as long as you have a green passport (and no other alternative like me) we need to make things work. so in summary
    1. dont side with foreigners when they diss your country because YOU WILL NEVER be part of them..even if you control all their shares in their top companies…they will smile in your front and hiss at your back
    2. United we stand, divided we fall
    3. Stop complaining and do something…we dont need a rocket scientiest to tell us that the country is pretty messed up..but because of a few people we keep moving forward even if its at a snail’s pace (God bless those that brought cinemas to nigeria which helped someone to watch district 9 lol). its little drops of water that make up the ocean (or maybe little buckets lol). if you cant do anything at least PRAY
    4. Be one of the few Nigerians to set a good example…i am not corrupt and by God’s grace i will never be.
    If all u wanna do is sit and complain, then start migrating to TOgo, Ghana and the West, because needless to say, our unborn children will be screwed!
    God bless Nigeria

48. Afolabi

September 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Abegi, Obasanjo deserved what he got and wished he got more but the fact that the entire Nation was categorized as such is really sumthing we all av to worry about and try come together to kick out all the old BASTARDS in power out and take over so we can spell out a well meaning and positive image for this once great nation of ours.

49. Ejiro Kragha

September 9, 2009 at 12:18 am

Some people on here sound so unintelligent with their statements and so annoyingly unpatrotic its amazing….I can bet its those who live in Naija and dont know what wahala lies ahead due to these negative portrayal of our Country..Its totally disrespectful for Sony which has a huge market in Naija and the shallow producers of District 9 to blatantly call Nigeria and a past leader into their mess…no doubt things are wrong but I beg to say thats not peculiar to Nigeria…Its high time some of the government officials call out the producers of that nonsense called a movie and to think they have the effontery to air it in Nigeria…the heights of Disrespect. I looked for the official webpage of the producer but couldnt get it..That being said though, I think its also a wake up call for we Nigerians ourselves to mend our ways…a yoruba saying is “Ti e o ba rin ni bebe iro, won o ni puro mo yin” This means literally If you dont walk in shady paths, no one can tell lies against you…If we do not act in terrible ways, these cant be pinned on us…Every individual should make up their minds to act right and perhaps, Nigeria would be a better place.. Naija O ni baje o!!!! God bless Nigeria!

50. burramint

September 9, 2009 at 12:51 am

you really couldn’t have said this better! good job!!

51. funweez

September 9, 2009 at 1:24 am

cwell excuse me,what happened to political correctness, slander and libel.Its such a shame that Nigerians take whatever comes their way, yes the country is not in the best of situations but what gives others the right to be so sanctimonius. South Africa has one of the highest rape record, i dont hear them including that in this ‘District 9’. Must we expect our leaders to do evrythg, dnt we have brains or a voice?
    And to think nigerians will pay to see such a movie, beats me.

52. Bolajikex

September 9, 2009 at 2:24 am

Yeah we deserve it. PPl are getting killed in SA by Naija criminals so they’re scared basically. And to the person that it would never be done to America or Britain, it’s done all the time. Michael Moore does it against his own ppl in his movies. The issue here is that it is only the criminal element of Naija society that is being represented and that is nobody’s fault but ours. There need to be more Nigerians on the world stage representing the other facets of our society. Every society has negative parts of it portrayed on film. The difference is the other parts are represented too. I ain’t gon’ lie tho’, that part of the film annoyed me to my core. But my reaction is not f the world. Rather, it’s that i intend to show the other facets of Nigerian society to ze world at large!

53. Peter Onuigbo

September 9, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Well, i happen to be an ardent movie lover and critique and was one of the first to see D9. I did enjoy the movie and I for one gave it 80% in all aspects, however I was horribly disgusted from my insides with the portrayal of Nigerians in SA. That same night after seeing the movie, I joined the facebook group ‘District 9 hates nigerians’ and strongly clamoured for a petition against the producers to offer an apology to all Nigerians. I had even considered including a discussion on the xenophobic nature of the movie on my TV show ‘MovieMania’. Apparently, more Nigerians are beginning to realise how badly we need a change of image internationally and I think this is the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

54. wuraola

September 9, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Well, NIgerian people have been a big embarassment all over the world for so long. Its well known here in the US that Nigerians are the ones who send those 419 emails, and do fraud in businesses. So much so that Nigerians have it soo hard to come into the country, as opposed to Asians who walk right into the country, even tho they do it as well. If the majority of Nigerians werent so greedy, the country wouldnt be the way it is, and other countries would have more respect for them. Just look at the system of Nigeria, even if you wanted to make an honest living doing some type of business or whatever, you have to pay off bribes just to start it and maintain it. The police are useless, there is no order or laws to abide by so people just think they can do whatever they want. Can u imagine, the last time I went to Nigeria, they announced on the news that everyone must be inside before sundown because the king of an area needs 10 human heads for a ritual. WTF!?!?! What kind of shit is that, in 2009? Lets not even get on the driving and the lack of stable light in the richest country on the continent, when your neighbor and other countries of this world have their power systems developed and run by Nigerians! What really needs to happen is a straight up Ghana move, where you kill all these old greedy bastards in power and replace them with young people who want change and a better Nigeria for them and their kids. Then the young people must realize that the ways of the generation before us was not right at all, and the majority must be down for a change. So, instead of crying when other countries talk down on us and wanting to protest against Sony, why dont you protest and create a big fuss over the leaders of the country that continue to steal money and pimp the country’s resources and people to the highest bidder!

55. niyi

September 9, 2009 at 11:36 pm

Matt when The Patriot starring Mel Gibson came out, a lot of British citizens boycotted the movie simply because they did not like the way they were potrayed. This being a movie that had some historical truth to it. North Korea has also being known to boycott certain movies that do nothing to enhance the country’s image. Why should Nigerians now sit silent? You think it is eveyone who goes to see a movie that would have the discerning mind to separate fact from fiction?

56. niyi

September 10, 2009 at 12:18 am

VERGE OF CIVIL WAR? WHICH CIVIL WAR? ARE YOU HIGH? GOD FORBID!!!

57. puhlease.. people like you are the problem with Nigeria.

September 10, 2009 at 2:45 am

I’m sorry you are surrounded with such negative Nigerians. 90% of Nigerians in the states are positive, so if you choose to chill with the 10% thats your wahala. This can never happen in America it would be all over the news. AS much as most american’s can stand BUSH the ex president. If the name of the hooligans were “Americans” and their head was “BUSH”.. do I hear boy cott??? and not even the democrats will support such disrespect.

This is the problem with Nigerians. We need patriotism. United we stand, divided we fall.

58. Bella, please put this on the front page.

September 10, 2009 at 2:49 am

Hi bella please put this on the front page. I think a lot of people need to know about this. I heard about it but could not find the link on the site and my friend had to send me the link.

59. Kemchi

September 10, 2009 at 3:38 am

Well said. We did do something tho, we signed a petition about the Sony Ad and now they’ve apologized n retracted the Ad.
    Also, personally I refused to dash the makers of district 9 my hard earned $10 as I have refused to go see d movie.
    D journey of a thousand mile begins with a step so we’ll get there someday.

60. uguysramazn

September 10, 2009 at 9:15 am

who is thus Anayo?u even put ur name,go to skl jor!

61. uguysramazn

September 10, 2009 at 9:32 am

i meant this,wink wink!

62. jbaby

September 12, 2009 at 12:11 am

perfect, wouldnt hav put it better. lets be realistic here, if we r been potrayed in a certain way, we hav no one to blame but ourselves. lets be truthful to ourselves and stop being ignorant. yes other nationalities do it but our own is BAD..

63. Dr Arabo Ibrahim Bayo

September 12, 2009 at 9:49 am

I agree with every word of this writer except for the fact that not all the older generation are bad. Also most of the younger generation are worse than the current leadership. Look at the members in our legislative houses and local govt councils and you see what I mean. A revolution that that should wipe off the corrupt and looters is long overdue.

64. jbaby

September 14, 2009 at 12:31 am

@ ladi. is like u took the words out of my mouth. I love my country and I am proud to be a nigerian but bringing my passport out in the airport is something i never look forward to coz u always get that extra attention. it is too embarassing. as ladi said instead of complainin we should seriously try fix our image worldwide.

65. jbaby

September 14, 2009 at 12:45 am

@ matt i hav to agree with u 100%. btw this movie has made so much money while u r all complaining here for free. lol

66. Dj

September 15, 2009 at 9:06 am

I believe it time we start looking inwards. @MS Dora start looking at home-made films and songs that defames the nation. Songs and movies that endorses Yahoo(internet scams) should be banned.

We need to cleanse ourselves first, before other nations can start respecting us.

67. Uzo

September 15, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Please guys before you all get worked up and shedding more light on the glaring obvious. I have not seen the movie but like most Southern African movie, there is probably a political undertone. They did not make the movie simply to tarnish Nigeria’s image (How futile, our image has been already TARNISHED)

I am pretty sure the Nigerian reference in the movie could easily be the Eastern European human traffickers and bank card cloners or a South American drug cartel or any other nation growing or should I say ADVANCING in criminal activity (As Nigeria is doing).

If anything it should make us start to change our attitudes towards people who commit fraud/kidnap/assassinate (apparently you can have someone killed in Nigeria for a mere N5000). Most of us know someone engaged in such activities but we do not have a name and shame culture. We do not question people with overnight success or wealth so here you go. We are the new Villians in movies. ENJOY!

68. jbaby

September 16, 2009 at 1:15 am

“We are the new Villians in movies. ENJOY!”. u couldnt hav said it better.

69. korede Oludiran

September 17, 2009 at 9:13 am

Do we think Nigerians don’t make life difficult for other nationales even in their own countries? So what are we talking about? All these are tactics by the developed world are to save their people from Nigerians’ fraudulent moves. Come to think of it, is Sony not a profit- making organisation, always wanting to maximize their profit? Despite the market oppurtunity in Nigeria, they stake their profit -making potential because of NIgerian fraudsters. This perhaps means the damage Nigerians (will ) do to their biz is more than the huge profit they(will) make in Nigeria. I don’t blame this people. It is just natural to want to protect ones country/biz from criminals ,especially when they are foreigners – people you have given the opportunity to leave a better life.

70. Trigga

September 17, 2009 at 1:00 pm

FYI!! Nigerians are the ones getting slained by SA gangsters in South Africa. Yeah naija dudes run a lot of bad stuff over there but believe me its not up to half of what those SA dudes are capable of… The hate Naija dudes up there with passion… and not because of our image or whatever… but for no reason. I’ve been there, so I know!! But about district 9, its been happening and its going to continue to unless nigerians either protest this or change. Check out lost, tears in the sun and a shit load of other movies… same stereotype!

71. WALE ADENIJI

September 18, 2009 at 1:53 pm

This is no doubt a very serious problem. If i must say the truth,we are the root cause of this stereotype that is making a true Nigerian angry. Daily,i receive not less than 15 e-mails from scammers. Tell you what? The authors of these scam-mails are even so dumb to let the intended recipient know that they’re from Nigeria with Nigeria mobile numbers. I get pissed off when i get these emails and wish i could just lay my hands on the authors and kill them for dragging our name in the mud.Our leaders are terrible,but must that now change who i am? Must i robb because the leaders are bad? Must i become a fraudster? The answer is NO. Please,i know it hurts to see these things in movie and even in real life situations but we are the root cause of our problem.The government refused to do things right despite the love of God for that country with the abundance of both natural and human resources.

72. NUK 1

September 19, 2009 at 12:09 am

i read most of the post and all i can say is little wonder the country is the way it is. I dont think there is a single country in this world that doesnt have it’s downside even South Africa. But its kind of pitiful when someone throws dust in your face and the peps in your home say well there was dust there anyway. Economic development begins with nationalisim, thinking as one, if this is the picture painted of us by some movie and some Nigerians say it’s Okey…. then i have to ask if they are really Nigerians. No matter how bad your country is….stand up and fight for it…that what makes the difference between us and developed economies. Who says they dont have their skeletons, but i dont hear them saying yes the do and it is okey for somone to insult them. Nigeria is not perfect but it is still my country and i have chosen to stand up for it for better or worse and if i die trying at least i am better than all those of you who havent done anything but complian. I support whatever actions the government takes against sony at least it a statement that we wont stand this kind of slander. To the person who spoke about Yahooze and and i go chop your dollar, if i can recall i go chop your dollar was ban not because europeans or americans spoke against it but because the government felt it was wrong. Also be reminded the financial crime is bilateral, you should read some of those scam mails and honestly tell me if the recievers themselves are not courrupt, knowing fully well that the content of such mail. Nigerians sell drugs to who and where…..? Because drugs are not that common in Nigeria however i cant say the same for South Africa

73. Matt

September 19, 2009 at 5:41 am

I think this the representation of nigerians is very true and realistic. Its a country full of scammers, cheats, liars and lazy africans dabbling in voodoo and which doctery. Well done sony!

74. Matt

September 19, 2009 at 5:52 am

If you dont believe me then go to:-

All internet access to Nigeria and Nigerians should be cut until they can demonstrate their honesty and integrity!

75. Matt

September 19, 2009 at 9:00 am

It’s not Defaming if its TRUE … and most people agree its TRUE …. so there’s NO Defamation!!! Great Film by Sony – Recommended -5 Stars *****

76. Zenna

September 20, 2009 at 1:12 am

Listern to Dora akunyili repond to district 9 and Sony ad: thank God

77. GamGam

September 20, 2009 at 2:24 am

Suddenly, we are ‘offended’ Rotflmao! what are we trying to gain here, fame or what? It is high time Nigeria grew up! And this is just the beginning. Since we dont want to wash our durrty linen in the country, it will be spread for EVERYBODY to see.

78. luvlife

September 20, 2009 at 3:38 am

you are not even educated and you dare to comment. what on earth is witch doctery? honey you’ve been watching too many movies….sicko

79. WALE ADENIJI

September 20, 2009 at 6:49 am

You certainly must be a mad person. I am convinced beyond doubt that you’re not a Nigerian and i wonder what you’re fucking doing here. If by any chance you’re a Nigerian,you must be a bastard.Much as we know these things happen in our country,does that indicate that it’s every one in the country that are gangsters,fraudsters,armed robbers? To hell with you for stereotyping Nigeria and Nigerians.

80. femmy

September 20, 2009 at 9:23 am

This is ridiculous! Which people agree its true. Canabalism, prostitution with Alien? Maybe where you come from it is true.

81. Truthteller

September 22, 2009 at 9:16 am

Say the word terrorist, and the first thing you think of is an Arab,
    Say the word Mafia, and the first thing that comes to mind is Italy.
    Columbia and drugs, brazil and samba, orientals and “shakpanshoo”.
    By and large the activities of the citizens of a nation will define it.
    When our ladies run to Italy to prostitute, and send the money home, do we admonish them? No, we say they are hustlers. We turn a blind eye and relatives and family, “collect their own”. When our people make money from scamming embezzlement and corruption, do we condemn them? NO! Instead we give them awards and titles, as long as the “settle us”. We have individually and collectively sold our birthrights, and the right to be angry when people call us name. Almost everywhere Nigerians go a large number (not all mind you) manage to entrench themselves in nefarious activities. Unfortunately human beings will always remember the bad and not the good. And it will always take more of an effort to redeem your image.
    Apart from the alien factor, there is nothing in district 9 that is not a staple of our home videos.
    Who are we kidding? 99% of our home videos dwell on prostitution, vodoo, using of a loved one for sacrifice in order to procure wealth or power. I challenge anyone to randomly pick any 5 nollywood movies and not find scenes equally horrendous. Oh! So we can feel shame? But only when it is someone else that says what we say to ourselves and know to largely be true?
    I was ashamed when i watched the movie (in yankee mind you) but i had to be honest with myself. We all, including the silent honest and hardworking majority brought this on ourselves.
    And until every Nigerian wholeheartedly and totally condemns every and any Nigerian when the err, regardless of our relationship with them, and the risk to our benefiting from their “success” we deserve whatever the consequences of our complacency may be.

82. Truthteller

September 22, 2009 at 9:18 am

Pardon some of my grammatical errors and missing punctuation marks, in my earlier comment. I was in a hurry.

83. M

September 22, 2009 at 4:13 pm

@ mat… u’re a sick bastard, your Mother must have banged an alien (or at least something less than human) to have given birth to a hopeless creature like disgusting yourself) its obvious u’re suffering from extreme complex, there was absolutely nothing artistic (or true) about the portrayal of Nigerians in that movie, it was just obviously racist…

84. kay

September 25, 2009 at 11:17 pm

I am particularly amazed that some so called Nigerians could say a fellow human being is Mad or a bastard, just because he feels strongly about what he believes in. A question was thrown to us; if what depicted of us in District 9 isn’t what we watch on our Nollywood movies everyday. Part of the major problems that we have as a country is shying away from the reality. Nigerians should continue to pretend that everything is just Ok. I wonder how many of similar films I had watched, even depicting America in a similar manner, the truth is, an opinion poll of Nigerians on the film will indicate a total indifferent. What is an Alien film gotta do with a hungry, homeless man? We have accepted the grave yard kind of peace for so long. The result is just what we are witnessing; horrible things! Special attention should be given to Korede and Uzo’s comments. We must be sincere with ourselves, we have been fooled by our leaders for too long. Without us accepting our failure I seriously doubt it if we’ll know where to start from.

85. dele

September 27, 2009 at 11:33 pm

all this nigerian guys pushing an holier than thou attitude, the fact is that we have our issues, but they are still ours to solve, not for fools to start dissing us about it. do you think you will get special preference when out of the country cos you support out haters? no, you are still frking nigerian..so come off that attitude and offer reasonable help to your country in your own capacity, see you talking as if you were half-cast or a foreigner..long hisss.

86. Mya A

October 4, 2009 at 5:30 pm

This is exactly how i feel.
    Thank you for your post.

87. mj

October 7, 2009 at 10:21 pm

i agree. chinese and indians who are taking over the world will NEVER stand for their country to be defamed. DESPITE all the horrible things that go on there (forced abortions, child marriage, bride burning, killing of girl child etc). there are nationalist TO THE CORE. the prob with naija is that our favorite sport is to insult ourselves. even when outsiders insult us we say ‘we must deserve it’ kai. colonisation of the mind is reaaaalll

88. Afrorican

November 20, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I definitely agree with you. I saw d movie wiv my husband and we were extremely offended. I think my husband took it more 2 heart than I did and d craziest part is dat he’s not even Nigerian. He’s Puerto Rican. I know our country is f***ked up but dat doesn’t give anybody especially a non-Nigerian d rite 2 slander us. It is definitely unaccpetable. Let’s not 4get dat it’s d resources 4rm our country dat has helped our countries grow. Our leaders are crooks, and yes, we kno dat. Does dat mean d rest of d country folks are crooks as well? Alien prostitution? R u freakin’ kiddin me? How ridiculous is dat? And 4 those of u who think it is ok 4 an outsider 2 talk mad junk about u, damn! Wat a freakin’ shame! It’s cuz o’ silly comments like dat dat gives ammo 2 outsiders 2 talk crap about us. Where is d togertherness? Is it cuz America is gud @ hiding their crap? I live in d States and it ain’t gud like they make it out 2 be when I was kid growin up in 9ja. U c all dat shit in music videos and u think it’s all gud….Nah! It ain’t! Don’t be fooled. @ d end of d day, even if my husband is not Nigeria and I don’t reside in Nigeria @ d moment, I will 4eva be proud 2 be a Nigerian. Take it or leave it. I don’t give 2 f**ks!

89. Jenny

March 23, 2010 at 5:04 am

Everyone needs to chill out. This movie is an international movie that was marketed all over the world. Think about it…most people in the Western World have no idea which country is which in Africa. Sad but true. If you asked a North American to name 5 countries in Africa, I would bet my last nickel on one of the countries guessed would be Nigeria.

This movie is ludicrous, ridiculous, hilarious in some parts and entirely fictional. It is a comment on humanity and apartheid. The reason they named Nigerians is because the white South Africans already had their role, the black South Africans were portrayed to be be united against the ‘prawns’ with the whites as a clear political comment. Lets look at the fact that none of the humans in the movie were painted in a good light.

They used Nigeria because it is recognizable country that has more money than other African nations and considerably less conflict. The movie is also making a comment on stereotypes. It is a stereotype that Nigerians are cons and crooks who will exploit people for money.

It is clear when one watches the movie that the ‘Nigerians’ are not quite Nigerian. They look as if they are a silly Haitian witch doctor stereotype …not really Nigerian. I believe that was done on purpose.

It is a silly movie and all viewers with half a brain are aware of it. No worries, the rest of the world doesn’t think that Nigerians are cannibals that want to eat our arms or steal money for weaponry and that is precisely why they named Nigeria.

They couldn’t named the Congo or Sudan because that would have made the movie about their wars and struggles. They couldn’t named Zimbabwe or Angola because that would have made the movie about previous conflicts that South Africa has had with each nation. They couldn’t have named the Ethiopians because they are too impoverished to get to South Africa (which is a stereotype, I know). They couldn’t have named Moroccans or Egyptians because that would have made the movie about Arabs. They couldn’t have named Burundi, Burkina Faso or Benin etc. because people outside of Africa simply know nothing about those countries.

Take care humans. The movie was offensive to Nigerians but not as much as people are making it out. Chill out.

90. anon

March 23, 2010 at 6:40 am

About time, they blow the covers of Nigerians, always tryna act like they are so perfect, and innocent. If it takes other people to tell Nigerians how they are perceived by others and exposed them, let it be. I think the best thing for Nigerians to do is, see the flaws, work on it, learn, and improve, instead of been in state of denial, which even makes it worse.

Giving excuses like, other people do it, it’s actually stupid, because you will never learn. The reason Nigerians will be focused on the most, is because the country has so much resources, and so much that they can do, but yet do nothing. Why do other Africans hate Nigerians? Well, Nigerians have so much potentials, but keep screwing up, and they are angry about that, because Nigeria should be rising up and helping others out. Why will westerners focus on Nigeria? Because they see so much that can be done in the country, but see stupid things like greed, failed government, voodoo, not managing their resources, division, and these are things that makes them so far behind. Also, whites wants to let people know, maybe they are born to rule, because if they don’t, these are the kind of things that will be happening. They are some good Nigerians out there, but they are some pretty bad ones, that give Nigeria/Nigerians a bad name, and reputation. The bad is starting to outshine the good. It’s not a stereotype. To think about it, there’s always some truth to every stereotype. It’s like portraying black guys as thugs, rappers, etc. Does that mean every single one of them, no. But when majority of negativity starts to outshine minority, it becomes a problem. Nigerians, instead of been so defensive, some of these people, are probably part of your relatives, criticize them, and let them know, you are not in support, even if they give you part of the money. I’ve always said, if you don’t want people to talk about you, don’t put yourself in a place or do things, that will make people talk.

91. fokasibe

March 23, 2010 at 7:14 am

….and then you always wonder why you will always be an anonymous nobody….