News

An Illegal Immigrant’s Tale: Omoni Oboli & Sam Sarpong star in “Anchor Baby”

Her sterling performance in “The Figurine” was Nigerian actress Omoni Oboli’s star-making moment, now “Anchor Baby” will show that it was not a fluke.
I did not know what to expect when I clicked to watch the “Anchor Baby” trailer but as I watched it, I was transfixed. I have to admit that this is the first Nigerian movie trailer that has elicited an emotional reaction from me. The theme of the movie is love, dreams, desperation, betrayal and struggles, faced by these non-citizens in order to belong to the American society. “Anchor Baby” is actually a derogatory term for children born by immigrants or other non-citizens in the United States.

“Anchor Baby” tells the tale of Joyce and Paul Unango, illegal immigrants living in the US. Married illegal immigrant couple, Joyce (Omoni Oboli) and Paul Unanga (Sam Sarpong) have been ordered by the US immigration to leave the country by voluntary departure. They agree to leave; but only after Joyce who is 5 months pregnant delivers her baby inside the US. This will guarantee automatic citizenship for their child. The couple ignores the deportation order, and go into hiding.

Later, Paul is caught and deported by a team of overzealous Immigration officers, led by agent Mark Castello (Michael Scratch). This leaves Joyce to struggle on her own to accomplish their dream.

Then, Joyce meets Susan Backley (Terri Oliver), a married freelance writer who offers to help her with free accommodation until her baby is born. Joyce accepts the offer and moves in. Now, with the help of Susan, Joyce sets out on the most daring journey of her life; to achieve the “American Dream” for her unborn child. She will try by any means necessary.

The movie Anchor Baby is set in the United States, but was shot in Brampton and Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Anchor Baby is written, directed and produced by a Nigerian first time director Lonzo Nzekwe.

Watch the trailer for Anchor Baby

1. omogekofo

July 26, 2010 at 9:40 am

Omoni is the in thing now…..i so admire the color of contact lens she uses…..hmmmm.
    cant wait to see this film.

2. Peperempe

July 26, 2010 at 9:48 am

Oh well I love it!

3. mariaah

July 26, 2010 at 11:03 am

Omg!!!Am crying..awww what a touching story..

4. sweetie

July 26, 2010 at 2:34 pm

looks really nice, :)…..me likey…a lot!!! but that sam guy take style worwor sha
    🙁

5. lala

July 26, 2010 at 3:21 pm

How do nollywood actors manage to act movies in America sha? Don’t they need work permits and stuff? I always wondered.

Yay for the movie sha, hope it doesn’t end up on youtube.

6. Mina

July 26, 2010 at 3:31 pm

You this sweetie girl sef, can’t you just appreciate something without spoiling the mood. Abeg sam is a cute guy and a great actor.
    I would love to see the movie, the trailer already got me emotional….. 🙂

7. MiaJadore

July 26, 2010 at 3:47 pm

It looks Great! and I hope it is. Omoni is a very pretty lady but a terrible actress in all her movies I

• Bose

October 17, 2010 at 10:50 am

So terrible that she won the best Actress at an international festival (Harlem International Film Festival) competing with actors from all over the world, not just Africa. It’s sad to hear these kind of comments from you.

8. Ronnie

July 26, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Only watch one Nollywood film out of a hundred and this is the kind I like to watch!

9. MiaJadore

July 26, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Trailer looks Great! and I hope it is. Omoni is a very pretty lady but a terrible actress in most of her movies I have seen. I hope this is an exception.

10. Tomesbright

July 26, 2010 at 4:29 pm

This will def be a great movie.. Omoni did a wonderful job in The Figurine.. shes a great actress! can’t wait to see this flick!

11. vwera

July 26, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Haaaa I just googled Sam and he has been voted one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world. The boy fine o…and my girl Omoni. Chei! Fine pikin! I have tears in my eyes from the trailer. Can’t wait to see this movie! Its going to take naija by storm!!!

12. mimi2

July 26, 2010 at 5:35 pm

@lala, as long as u have a vistors visa in canada u r good to act, so u dont really need a work permit.

13. Elpee

July 26, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Honestly i`m not a fan of Nigerian English movies but THIS IS A STORY. It makes sense and looks like its acted well… I must to watch

14. Toyin

July 27, 2010 at 5:02 am

I’m already in love with this movie…can’t wait to see it!
    I still haven’t gotten a chance to watch The Figurine as it’s not yet available for purchase. Argh, not fair!

15. jessy

July 27, 2010 at 2:00 pm

i love d movie………..oh! wat a real love

16. vwera

July 28, 2010 at 7:16 am

@miajadore, you must have been watching the wrong person! Certainly not Omoni. She is one of the best nollywood actresses! Are you kidding?!!! Smooth delivery, good diction, great acting prowess. You really must be watching the wrong person. Certainly not Omoni!!!

17. eazzie E

July 28, 2010 at 7:28 am

Good preview, I mean like the rest of them but i just feel there would be something dysfunctional in this movie. whats the big deal in getting a US passport for an unborn child? I mean, these things happen so why use it as a story line. The couple are not portrayed as poor so its not like getting the passport for the child was going to open doors for them sometime in the future. if this is the story line i just viewed above, then i dont think its strong enough to compel an audience. Am thinking about it and am saying…..will i be able to sell this movie to a friend with passion in my voice like i actually felt the reality of the movie run in my head? The way I sold the lord of the rings to my friends who actually thought it was a long and complicated plot that seemed never ending? well, lets see how it goes but am thinking we should try thinking out of the box sometimes. Mel Gibson shot Apocalypto in Aramaic for crying out loud…now thats the height of creativity. all the effort and resources put into this movie is commendable though but something just does not give the oomph in this movie

18. ike

July 28, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Good preview! Looks very well done. Omoni’s one actress that lights up my screen so I look forward to seeing this movie. @eazzie, I feel your passion and I think we should wait till we watch the movie before we judge. 2 minutes trailer’s not enough to know the full story which none of us do just yet. Fingers crossed, it looks good enough to attract my attention and I honestly can’t wait to see it!

19. MissTee

July 28, 2010 at 2:34 pm

MiaJadore pls, which of Omoni’s movie have you seen..the only sad thing about her acting is that she’s not given roles challenging enough.. have you see The figurine? and sweet tomorrow?
    Omoni is a great actress! pls go back and watch her movies. I sure enough can’t wait to see this movie

20. Nick

July 30, 2010 at 8:13 pm

@eazzie
    There is a very unexpected twist. Don’t be worried about a thin storyline at all.

21. Sholola

July 31, 2010 at 12:07 am

Go Nollywood!! Naija is taking ova with Anchor Baby.

22. Aibee

August 3, 2010 at 8:16 am

Looking forward to the movie already. Cant wait for it to come to the cinemas.

23. starlomor

August 3, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Yay! finally we get to see Omoni in her full potential! can’t wait to see this movie.. I expect only great things. I love Omoni, i think she a terrific actress!

24. Saraah

August 23, 2010 at 5:51 pm

When I see her I see the new Nollywood much talk about and nobody working towards it. You are definately building the new Nollywood- keep doing what you do Omoni. Am looking out for the movie.

25. Obidi

August 30, 2010 at 4:42 am

Can’t wait! When’s the release date? Does anyone know? Go Omoni keep doing us proud

26. ay

October 6, 2010 at 9:52 am

Well well well, what can i say with this kind of trailer, perfect synopsis, good story line (I guess) plus professional actors… with all of this together, you can expect an unforgettable viewing experience…

Go Nolly!!!

27. Titi

October 6, 2010 at 10:03 am

I don’t usually drop comments on the internet but with this kind of film and synopsis, I have no choice but to go-the-way-of-all-comments.

Let me start with Omoni, you are on the right path (acting). If i were a producer/director, you’ll feature in every of my film. you did a great job on this one.

@Sam Sarpong, well i have had alot about you, how u acted in Hollywood, won awards and all of that but I never thought u were this good. mehn, you’re overkilling it!

@Lonzo, hmmmm, where do I start, for u, the joy in my heart is so ineffable that anyone can’t imagine. M glad you are doing great. I believe this movie is going to make people have a rethink on how movies should be done….

Lonzo, tell them Nigerians can do it too!!!

@all Thanks for bringing our dear Nollywood to the spotlight again!

GREAT JOB

28. Yetty

October 6, 2010 at 12:43 pm

can’t wait to see lay my hands on this one… because one of my role model is in it…

Omoni, i love ur style

29. Micheal

October 6, 2010 at 1:08 pm

finally, we have a say in the movie production in the world….

thanks for this powerful production….

30. Ma

October 6, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Nigerian movies are beginning to treat issues good attempt, Sam

31. Tia

October 6, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Omoni, You did it in Figurine hope you dint relent in this?

32. Yaris

October 6, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Good story line good cast

33. Ben

October 6, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Nigerians doing us great in diaspora

34. Richie

October 6, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Yes that’s what most nigerians do to be citizens of these western countries

35. Bimpe

October 6, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Well done Lonzo. Just that it’s only movies shot abroad that meet international standards, waiting 4 a movie shot in Isale to attain such heights

36. Bola

October 6, 2010 at 2:30 pm

6.5/10

37. Rotimi

October 6, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Nigerian movie writers, producers, directors need to visit their brothers in North America

38. Biola