News

Two Stars, One Mic – Nneka collaborates with Nas on “Heartbeat” Remix

Nneka needs no introduction at all. It would seem that she’s breaking more new grounds on an international platform than any other Nigerian has, perhaps since Wole Soyinka.

To say that Nneka is putting Nigeria on the map internationally is a gross understatement. We’ve watched her get interviewed by David Letterman, Her song, Kangpe featured on the EA Sports FIFA 2010 video game and more recently, she was profiled on CNN’s African Voices and appeared on the June cover of SoundCity Blast.

Initially when word went out that Nas intended to do a remix of her hit-track Heartbeat, certain people were skeptical. And now, with the song released, social critics the world over are raising their thumbs up to the product of the collaboration.

Watch out for 3’00” Where Nas says:

Like Moses wrote Leviticus/I wrote this with Nigeria‘s Heartbeat as the focus

Press Play to Listen Nneka Feat Nas – Heartbeat [Remix]

[audio:https://www.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Nneka-Ft.-Nas-Heartbeat-Remix.mp3|titles=Nneka Ft. Nas – Heartbeat (Remix)]

1. yaya

July 23, 2010 at 12:38 pm

nneka in d building.

2. kaz

July 23, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Proudly 9JA…… You go girl………………………….

3. Rosserie

July 23, 2010 at 1:28 pm

This writer is daft, I’m sorry. Since Wole Soyinka??? So what happened to Chimamanda, Asa, Femi Kuti, even Adaobi Nwaubani?

4. Ginika

July 23, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Thats right yaya, Nneka in the building you go girl, keep repping plus the baby is real not all these chewing gum babes and kpomo men!

5. Ronnie

July 23, 2010 at 3:32 pm

You go girl!

6. mariaah

July 23, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Yay us!!Nneka keep doing ur pple proud…ps I so want your hair!!grr..
    Lol @ Rosserie, I can feel the anger from here..With all due respect Prof is respected and ish but what happened to the recent generation??mscheew…

7. lizzy

July 23, 2010 at 4:10 pm

This is amazing!

8. emmylla

July 23, 2010 at 4:29 pm

you dey sound fatastic and a good role

9. jennietobbie

July 23, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Like Moses wrote Leviticus I wrote this with Nigeria’s Heartbeat as the focus

best line in this song

and Nneka….I see you honey….you go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. rotimi

July 23, 2010 at 8:28 pm

the saddest thing about all this is i am sure i am the only person who has left a comment thus far that has a Nneka cd..Nigerians we can celebrate with mouth too much..the girl had to be recognised outside for so many to even give her a listening ear..once it isnt our popular naija music of afro hip pop or whatever they call it..nobody listens..i know what i just said might offend a few people but its the truth

11. chibuzor

July 23, 2010 at 10:38 pm

@rotimi,although i agree with your statement i probably have all her works and have been a fan since when she was doing stuff with Bantu.Shes authentic which makes her feel like fresh air similar to he Asa experience

12. Olivia

July 24, 2010 at 8:10 pm

@ Rotimi…you do have a point like Chibuzor said but I think that’s a generalization o! Like Chibuzor, I’ve been a huge fan before she hit the spotlight. Have ALL her cds and I know many more people who do too.

13. mofe daniels

July 24, 2010 at 10:26 pm

most nigerians really donot appreciate singers like Asa and Nneka,these girls are true daughters of fela anikulapo kuti,their songs a very strong message.we should celebrate them.its a pity they are celebrated more outside.i love their music,its truly african.kudos to them.

14. lola

July 25, 2010 at 6:54 am

@ Rotimi i also agree with you…however that was a gross generalization because i have been supporting her work even before she released her concrete jungle album in the U.S…anyways rreal recognizes real so i loved from the time i found her music

15. Miz B

July 25, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Nneka… the lil’ engine that could! You go, girl!

16. Tosin

July 25, 2010 at 5:49 pm

i like her. and the beat of her music is nice, and her voice is special. i could hug her, so happy she’s getting all the luv.

17. Damola

July 25, 2010 at 6:17 pm

The song don’t make sense to me still. No beefs, really appreciate the fact that she’s Nigerian and rep. well, but I feel wyclef, even Nas has songs I can relate with, rkelly, etc.. why can’t I understand anything she’s been saying.. I listen to quite a good number of songs on trace, mtv etc.. this is strange, and not really cool. I wish her the very best, but am not a fan, more like a Nigerian patriot, I love my Tuface anyday, anytime.

• Azeez idowu

September 15, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Damola u need to really listen very well. She’s really deep. I heard her song heartbeat some months ago said to myself ok, but never really got the mesage until i understood what she was talking about in her lyrics.

All due respect to Tuface but this girl is from another planet

18. omogekofo

July 26, 2010 at 10:06 am

loved her on MTV….
    never knew she was naijarian until bellanaija.

true to Rotimi….i dont have her CD and have only heard her on Tv..

would love to get some though.

ciao

19. Myne Whitman

July 26, 2010 at 5:21 pm

This is Nneka’s best song for me.

20. bebe

July 26, 2010 at 10:20 pm

@Rosserie: u lack tact and manners. Referring to some1 as daft is rather rude ……. SMSW

21. Tim

October 22, 2010 at 10:00 am

this is tiiiiiiight!….Tim (Ghana)