News

The BOLD and the Beautiful – The BlackBerry Bold 9900 lands in Nigeria

BainStone Business Analyst and BellaNaija.com Technology contributor, Jite Ovueraye is a certified BB addict! Now that the new BlackBerry Bold has been released in Nigeria, he wants everyone to “share his joy”! Read on…

Here in Nigeria, we love good things (come on, who doesn’t?), and as technology keeps advancing, we Naija Bobos and Chikitos can’t slack. We all know a good thing when we see it and just by the rate at which “Can I get your number?” changed to “So what’s your pin?” you can tell BlackBerrys are in the good column.

Just like that, the day to up our BB game has come. Ok…so maybe it came a few days ago but as of now it’s fair to say the BlackBerry fun times are here again.

A while back, I talked about the launch of the new BB OS7 devices; about how great they looked and the huge leap in performance delivery. Not too much time passed after that before the folks at RIM kept their word and invited a select few to come say “hi” to the RIM team leading the move to Nigeria. (If you didn’t know their BlackBerry headquarters in West Africa is going to be in Lagos. Check out this post)

With that meeting in mind, it’s fair to say that the BB addicts in Nigeria have made a great impression on RIM, so that’s why they made sure we users (CrackBerry heads, I call’em) have great subscription options for our BIS, from the various networks.

Yes, that’s a step in the right direction, but the reason I sound so excited is that, as I said earlier, the day is here! And the day I speak of, is the day we can stroll to our favorite mobile phone retailer, right here in Nigeria and pick up our very own, brand spanking new BlackBerry Bold 9900/9300.

Yes, you heard me right, the touch screen, original style Bold devices are hitting shelves all over Nigeria as you read. The Bold 9900/9930 fits snugly in your palm at a measly 10.5 mm thick and approximately 130g, with a 2.8-inch touchscreen and QWERTY keyboard (This revert to the original style Bold may not favour everyone, as I saw a lady complaining it was way too bulky, however too each their own I say.)

So there I was just sitting at home when a friend ask me “Have you gotten yours yet?” of course I ask “My what?” to which we proceeded to Computer Village after some talk, then next thing you know (cue background music), there it was. All boxed up and looking gorgeous.

Having gotten a real close look at the device right there in “hustle central” I could see it’s similarities to BlackBerry OS6, but thanks to a faster processor it all feels so good. I remembered wondering what all the fuss was about regarding “liquid graphics” but swishing from app to app, picture to video and so on, it’s easy to see where the name came from, it’s just so fluid. The user interface is sleek and smooth and with the slew of new icons all over the OS the positive difference, was welcomed. Oh, and the added ability to rearrange and customize the homescreen views is also pretty neat. All this and we haven’t even mentioned the great new features (NFC, Magnetometer, Accelerometer, etc) and tons of ways to use them. (Just hearing about the “Augmented Reality” applications has me thinking “yikes! What could possibly be next?”)

After I fiddled with it and found out it costs between N100,000 – N130,000 (depending on who you know and your verbal acrobatic skills), I went home longing for it. Fair enough it is a tasty device, however the price is bound to make you take a step back. It’s not like we are in the UK or elsewhere that our mobile networks offer contracts and the phones come practically free, in most cases over here you just have to shell out the big bucks one time. Which can’t be fun no matter the size of your cash stack.

So to soothe my ailing wallet, I decided to let Google soothe me, and the research led me to some awesome developments and my BlackBerry connects where hit up for more details.

Let me give you some of the hot news I discovered; I love apps but Blackberry have never really been up to par with their competition on that front, and most people know that android apps outnumber BlackBerry ones to no end. The good news is that many android apps are reportedly being tweaked to work on BBs with OS7, basically BlackBerry App World just got bigger. What’s more is that RIM has been working on a way to give software developers in Nigeria more incentives to do what they love. They launched their beta Native SDK (Software Development Kit) for BlackBerry Tablet OS, I could go all ‘tech geek’ but I’ll just say it allows developers create richer and more visually stunning games for the PlayBook. (Get more info on the SDK HERE and , anyway, for more apps for BB, check out my Th3rdCulture post HERE)

This is just awesome as the (coming soon) “BlackBerry Superphone” will come with the dual core QNX hardware platform (The power behind the high performance on the PlayBook). So very soon all games and software designed for the playbook will surely be on the new “super-phones” as well (“Need for speed” on my BB? Can I get a Geeky Hi-Five please?).

Also, we all know someone (or like me, are someone) who constantly loses, drops, formats or worse, their BB so finding “Blackberry Protect” app really made my day and then I read that RIM recently launching their BlackBerry Management Center, which was designed specifically for small businesses. It’s a free service where you can wireless back up, protect your content, locate the device by making it ring or even wipe contents where ever it is and so much more.

So as for me I’m saving up my Kobos as the BlackBerry Bold 5 (as people are bound to call it) is here and will be in your face as your friends and random strangers show it off at a public place near you.

Anyway, the screen touching, QWERTY tapping, 5mp picture taking, super fast browsing device is here, and now comes with 3 different ways to navigate your device. Touch the screen, use the track pad or the keyboard, (though this may actually be a drawback for some people as more options means more ways to get confused) however for others it’s the way forward. So get a move on to your mobile dealers and get the Bold 9900/9300, because trust me, the phone is worth the hype, even though your bank account will be the one to feel the brunt of this beauty. (Although I’m sure the new “All Screen Torch” will blow our minds as well, but that’s gist for another day.)

Check out the phone stats below:

– 115 x 66 x 10.5mm, approximately 130g
– 2.8″ capacitive touch screen display – VGA (640×480), 287 dpi resolution
– Ultra-user friendly QWERTY keyboard and optical track-pad
– 1.2 GHz Processor, 768 MB RAM
– 8 GB on-board memory, plus microSD slot supporting up to 32 GB cards
– NFC technology (Check Previous post for details)
– 5.0 MP camera, supports 720p HD video recording
– Orientation Sensor (Accelerometer), Digital Compass (Magnetometer), Proximity Sensor
– Built-in GPS / aGPS
– Dual-Band Wi-Fi® – 802.11 b/g/n at 2.4 GHz and 802.11 a/n at 5 GHz
– Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR support
– Wireless Network support:
– 9900: Tri-Band HSPA+, Quad-Band GSM/EDGE
– 9930: Dual-Band CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A, Dual-Band HSPA+, Quad-Band
– GSM/EDGE
– 1230 mAh removable, rechargeable battery
– BlackBerry 7 OS

1. Trinity

September 14, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Yay…first lol. This phone is the phone to own! Got one and I can safely say it’s amaziiinnnggg! Ok lemme run away and come back later to read comments 🙂

• Romoke

September 15, 2011 at 12:45 am

Uche and co I really don’t know why this is post worthy. You know the kind of society we are in and I’m sure you know that majority of bellanaija visitors are young girls. With all the materialism and moral decadence that I’m sure you see in the country or at least in Lagos, one would expect that you’d be picky with the kind of things you publish. What you’ve just done here is put pressure on your millions of visitors to get this phone, especially the weak willed ones. I don’t think luring people into materialism was the original objective of this site. Please stay grounded and leave “news” like this for less prestigious sites.

• Wizzzzzzzzyyyy

September 15, 2011 at 8:53 am

Its Advertisement…they wil get paid for it.

• BellaNaija.com

September 15, 2011 at 8:59 am

Hi Wizzzzzzzzzzyyy,
      No it is not an ad and we did not get paid. As a responsible company that promotes transparency with our dear BN readers, any sponsored content is clearly tagged ‘sponsored content’.

Thanks!

• Jite Ovueraye

September 15, 2011 at 9:50 am

Hi Romoke,
      We talked about the launch of the new devices as there are quite a lot of readers that want the truth about such things, so it was only natural to further enlighten them to the ups and downs of this new BB.

• Peaches

September 15, 2011 at 11:28 am

I totally agree with your comment. I hear people do crazy things these days just to get their hands on Blackberrys. What is the big deal. i have one and it’s not all that. Crackberry addicts, need something new. I can do with out a BB. am sooo looking forward to an upgrade of phones. HTC’s and LG here i come. But I do see where ure coming from with the materialism ideology.

• keji

September 15, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Abeg shut up jo. Which one is moral decadence here now? So because they talked about a new blackberry they are forcing young girls to buy it?Have you ever heard of “correlation does not equal causation”?

• Tiki

September 16, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Really? so because people can’t control themselves magazines/virtual social media shouldn’t publish what is hot and what is not? that’s like saying don’t publish info about expensive items coz people can’t afford them! Sounds a bit ludicrous to me. If one can’t control oneself, they don’t need this piece on BN to push them into an abyss…’longthroat’ will do that on its own.

September 15, 2011 at 5:50 am

hey!!! my bold touch has landed! we gats rock on!!!

• Temi

September 15, 2011 at 10:29 am

It is really an amazing phone and I have links on getting it really really cheap *wink*

2. prism of an immigrant

September 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Why is the blackberry such a big deal in Nigeria?

• mary007

September 14, 2011 at 6:24 pm

It is a big deal for the following reasons
      1. it’s cost effective as they send free messages from one BB to another thus making communication easy
      2. Unlimited access to the internet no need for cyber cafes as having unlimited wireless connection for a home is still expensive
      3. Its cost effective for the average phone owner as they are always on the move

September 14, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Get one and find out 🙂

3. Ay

September 14, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Don’t understand all this excitement o. I have used a BB curve in the past and now use a torch and all I do is chat, instant email and browse the internet. Maybe I am old-fashioned sha *rolls eyes*

4. uzor

September 14, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Good for BB fans as for me am not a BB freak

5. mola

September 14, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I should have waited to get this phone instead of the old version.. Kai! O well!

6. moi!

September 14, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Please help me ask them!!

7. Pearl

September 14, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I wonder!!!There’s chinko BB sef,and boiz just go abt stealing bb,leaving other phones which is good for peeps like me!

8. me

September 14, 2011 at 4:36 pm

cause our networks are useless and bbm is the fastest way to communicate.

9. Wizchap

September 14, 2011 at 4:43 pm

All these features without a radio….absolutely nonsense; I will stick to my Nokia 2700….like seriously!

• Papinga

September 15, 2011 at 8:07 am

Eyez rolling…who needs a phone with a radio? Lol!!! Maybe you’ll be requesting for one with a T.V too.

• Jite Ovueraye

September 15, 2011 at 9:45 am

FYI: RIM is currently working on a BB with radio..

10. Enwongo cleopas

September 14, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Cool phone though i don’t buy into owning a blackberry yet.

11. pynk

September 14, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Saw the phone, and actually dont like it. I am sure i am in the minority. As with all things that come to Nigeria, folks will rush and hustle to get it. When you ask the average Nigerian who owns a BB if they back up their phone, the response will help u understand that folks just run around with these things just so they can say whats your pin. The only reason why i still got a bb is bcos i am addicted to my messenger, and i dont ever utilize apps on phones minus email anyways. But HTC and other android phones are way better than BB.

12. Ogor

September 14, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Absolutely love this phone..:) Its the best blackberry ive owned..

13. Straight4ward

September 14, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Got this phone a month ago….!..Yayyy!!!! It’s FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

14. www.c5wk6.blogspot.com

September 14, 2011 at 5:20 pm

BB HAS BEEN A LIFE SAVER TO ME AND I CAN SCREAM IT LOUD IN CAPS LOCK BRINGING JUICY STORIES ON THE GO TO ALL MY PEEPS ON BBM…NICE WORK JITE ADD ME ON 2717CA05…PING ME BABY!

15. Chacha

September 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Phone is nice..got it as a gift from the fiance some 2wks back and going from a 9700 to this, i’d say i’m tres impressed. Hated the torch so waited patiently for the release of this. Whats that they say about a patient dog again..

16. SolaSol

September 14, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I LOVE my blackberry 9900, shame about the battery life though. Be prepared to charge it at least 3 times a day…no joke!

• Bona

September 15, 2011 at 5:24 am

well actually there have been a lot of comments and complaints about the battery. i had the same problem when i got mine but i went to a site and found some advice which has helped me. now i can do 24hrs without charging.
      some tips:
      -reduce the brightness to 10; the default is 100, and you wont notice the difference after 5 mins
      – switch over from 4G/3G/2G network to 2G.
      -make sure you dont have applications you arent using running in the background
      – turn off wireless and bluetooth when not in use
      – set your backlight to dim after inactivity
      – set your FB options to “never check for updates”. you’ll still get notifications anyway so this just consumes your battery.
      these are just a few tips sha. there is a lot of info on this site: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9930-9900-f235/blackberry-bold-9900-battery-issues-tips-644519

17. NYAZIVEA

September 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I feel people get excited about BB phones cuz they do not know whats actually out there. Android phones r so much better. Really!

• partyrider

September 14, 2011 at 6:39 pm

exactly!

September 14, 2011 at 7:48 pm

What is so wrong in liking bb? You don’t hear americans complain about their iphone craze especially when the iphone 4 came out so enjoy your phone and leave bb fans alone.
      I have enough time on my hands today:)

September 14, 2011 at 11:18 pm

And androids are not better than bbs, bbs are phones before toys, androids are toys before phones, infact that includes iphone and HTC too.

• Bona

September 15, 2011 at 5:01 am

Na! that’s like saying fried egg is better than yam! they have different functions, and satisfy different needs! dont get it twisted!

• Amy.L.N

September 16, 2011 at 2:37 am

But…. fried egg is better than yam – _ –

September 16, 2011 at 9:26 am

@Amy.L.N jeez…..what bona means is that it’s like saying protein is better than carbohydrate that they have different functions and satisfy different needs. I hope it is clear now…….i don tire for una ooooo………lol.

September 16, 2011 at 9:42 am

I forgot to explain that just because the protein (fried egg) looks fancier and it’s tastier than the carbohydrate (yam) does not mean that it is better.
      BN please post my previous comment nah.

18. Obi

September 14, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I think the makers of BB are repackaging (reverting to older models … cos ideas have run out?) because other mobile devices like the droid/htc devices are hitting the market and people are being delivered from BB-love.

19. Teena

September 14, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Naija na dumping gound sha, should i throw away my BB Torch? abeg make una go jooor, how many oyibo men dey use big fones, una don see Naijas wey be bingo.

20. cathy

September 14, 2011 at 5:56 pm

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha like seriously! *yawnnnnnnnns*

21. auntie

September 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm

* singing *
    “oya baby BB, oya make u shine ur eyeeeesss… shine ur eyyyeeesss, shine am!”
    lol

• majo

September 14, 2011 at 8:41 pm

that movie was terrible

22. Yinka

September 14, 2011 at 6:08 pm

this phone don tey 4 naija o!

23. glory

September 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm

am happy wit my BB bold 2.. insteady of buy dis i will use the moni to get a lovely LV bag for my sef … i see some girls using 15 EURO bag , putting BB of 600euro inside wot a shame …

24. ibricks

September 14, 2011 at 6:26 pm

sup dudes & dudettes…am blown away wit d 9900!!!!!!!!!am in zaria..hw can i get 1 2 buy?HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

25. partyrider

September 14, 2011 at 6:33 pm

“Runz girls” now have another thing to aim for..#okbye

26. partyrider

September 14, 2011 at 6:40 pm

HTC,Android and Apple will kill BB any day,anytime!!!

September 14, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Do these phones have free messaging? Even if they do how effective will it be if a lot of people don’t have the phone. The major function of a phone is easy communication, everything else is just secondary and bb offers that and in a fun cheap way too 🙂

• Geek

September 15, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Android is not a phone but the OS platform on which the HTC runs

September 16, 2011 at 7:19 am

I know that I was referring to android phones and I included HTC to be more specific.

27. Pingback: Leaked images of the Blackberry Bold 9790 surface online – MSN India | Mobile News World Magazine

28. lepa omo

September 14, 2011 at 6:53 pm

only 9ja peeps dey die for BB! step your game up adn get a better phone than a BB

29. Huh?

September 14, 2011 at 7:03 pm

still prefer my bb torch

30. Yinka Ogunbajo

September 14, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Really! what is the big deal about the BB? Please just make sure it is put to good use (remember the movie Blackberry Babes?).

• prasieo

September 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm

@Yinka Ogunbajo, lmao

31. Hot-Angel (Hottu Babe)

September 14, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Serious something o. You are actually fueling this blackberry craze that has taken over Naija with this post oo.

LIke seriously, A lot of people say They use BBs because of BBM (easy communication and jazz), But seriously, Do you know that you can get “whatsapp” in the market on your Android, iPhone, Or Certain Nokia devices?
    With Whatsapp, you can practically, and yes, I mean really, Do everything you do with your BBM! Jeez, People sha.

I mean, I can understand the perks of not having to pay for text messaging in Naija, cos of your bbm, but really HTC makes great phones that’ll blow your mind away.
    You have 5megapixel camera on a phone, and you’re happy? What should I do about the 8megapixel camera on my HTC Evo? Throw a party? Mehn, These kind things don tire me self…… Oga o.

September 14, 2011 at 8:38 pm

What do I need 8megapixel on my phone for when I have a 15megapixel camera, not that it matters to me but you get the idea.

• Bona

September 15, 2011 at 5:17 am

I will disagree with you on this. whatsapp and BBM have similar functions BUT there are still some differences between them in the way they function, which gives the BBM advantage.
      1)BBM is linked to your handset while whatsapp makes use of your phone no. thus if you were to travel out of the country, or you go to a town where say Glo network for example is poor, with BBM you’re still good, but with whatsapp, people cant reach you – till they have your new no.
      2) linked to the same number issue, you can give a guy your pin, without him being able to call you, but anyone who can ‘whatsapp’ you can call you as well since it uses your phone number and phone book.
      3) BBM will always be free (at least in the nearest future) but whatsapp is only free for the first year and then you have to pay a yearly subscription fee of a dollar or so (unless you use the i-phone). apart from the fact that you have to pay for it (even if the amount is negligible) there is also the associated hassle of trying to pay, plus the risks to your debit/credit card.
      4) wikitude. thats a new revolution on this BB. just google it to understand. let me stop here

32. Sandra

September 14, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Black people: Least inventors most consumers. That’s why the oyinbos and Chinko will continued to invent things and build their nations and their people while we blacks continued to buys them and still lack the knowledge on how they work, especially Africans…… smh

• PD

September 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm

word!

33. NNENNE

September 14, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Naija… Where a mountain is made out of a molehill.
    BN, I hope these companies are paying you for advertising.

34. aah

September 14, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I think it’s cool that nigerians set their own trends instead of following the rest of the world with the androids craze. We love bb deal with it people :p

• Mustie

September 16, 2011 at 11:04 am

nicely put! ‘Thumbs up’.

35. bola

September 14, 2011 at 8:35 pm

BB,Android,HTC,Nokia,samsung or Sagem….i think its a matter of choice and everyone has a right to choose whatever device they want to communicate with…meaning stop hating on those that are still in love with BBs.

36. Tope

September 14, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Pls where can i get the 9900 for 100k cos the lowest price i’ve gotten is 14ok

37. Jack D

September 14, 2011 at 9:19 pm

This phone is not a 4G phone, it doesn’t have Much apps to download
    It is not as robust as the Andriod phones Or the Iphone.
    There are Lots of phones better that the crap RIM shoots out yearly.
    The windows Os and the RIM has falling behind the trends and technology.
    I use an Iphone 4 and a Galaxy Tab.
    Those things work wonders on Wifi.
    I just pray for the time network providers are going to give other phone users better data plans.

• Bona

September 15, 2011 at 5:08 am

actually the phone IS a 4G phone. I use one here (not in naija) and have full 4G speed. probably MTN and co dont yet have the facility, so you probably wont be able to utilize the 4G capacity.

38. ugowoundo

September 14, 2011 at 9:28 pm

BB for small minds….HTC for superior intellect….no wahala enjoy your BB….and stay at the bottom of the food chain……..peace i’m out!!

September 14, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Are you a brain surgeon? superior intellect ko superior intellect ni….kmt….You are just a mere consumer like everyone else unless you designed the phone you have a small mind with your thought process.

• mary007

September 15, 2011 at 12:08 am

I have an HTC phone kini big deal?You are just the small minded person!!!

September 15, 2011 at 9:37 am

you are the one with a small mind and yes there is no friggin big deal in the kind of phone you have.

39. aah

September 14, 2011 at 9:56 pm

And for the bb haters most bb users have other phones too as is common with most naija people including androids so what is the problem? I happen to love androids too but you guys are just hating for no reason.

40. Mary

September 14, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I have the playbook, nothing’s better for now! *wink wink* but u knw technology, u jst wana grab a new bite!!! n yea i feel u on ‘need for speed’ on a phone that’ll b sick mehn!!

• UPNEPA

September 15, 2011 at 1:53 am

‘need for speed on a phone that’ll be sick mehn!’ YOU backward people! I had need for speed on my Nokia phone 5 years ago.

And the phone isn’t gonna run on Dual Core anyway so it’ll still be a……… *Drumroll please* Shitbox!

41. SE

September 14, 2011 at 11:35 pm

BB is for Nigeria…cus u lot like to show off. how many people abroad actually shell out for a bb??? the jokes on Nigeria trust

• Bona

September 15, 2011 at 5:05 am

this is very incorrect! the BB was released August 31 on T-mobile in yankee. with a contract you could get it for $350. but 2 weeks before that it was on sale on Amazon for $850-900, and people were rushing it! most shops have been out of stock for a while now!
      and a lot of people are actually paying out of pocket for it (i.e without contract) cos of the rules of the contract – no subsidy on new phone till you are due for an upgrade!

September 15, 2011 at 10:31 am

Why exactly should we care for people abroad?

42. celebgist

September 15, 2011 at 12:47 am

uhm…so wot abt torch na?

43. nabila

September 15, 2011 at 2:43 am

got mine 3 wks ago,,am totally in luv wit dis phone,,its slim n sleek,,feels gud wen u hold it..lmao……..i think blacberry did a fantastic job wit dis phone…

44. Evilicious

September 15, 2011 at 3:11 am

@prism pls help me ask o, I still dont see the craze in a bb except the whole bbm stuff but thats about it for me…God help us sha

45. ashbaby

September 15, 2011 at 4:32 am

@Hot Angel, an HTC Evo cannot work in Nigeria because it is a 4G phone and Nigeria doesnt have that kind of network. We operate on a 2G/3G network( which if you ask me,the 3G part is quite shaky). I believe blackberry phones will still get to that level of having 8 megapixel cameras,i work with sprint,so i know about the EVO very well……….We still love our blackberry phones….

46. Lafunky

September 15, 2011 at 5:22 am

Vanity upon vanity. So, people will start splashing out their savings to oppress people. I don’t see why one will buy this if you already own a BB. I have a BB but I regret having it, it’s USELESS. The phone is crap apart from the bbm. Iphone/HTC/android phones are much better than BB. Nigerians are crazy about BB and also backward with technology, when they see an iphone they complain that BB is better. In fact, I can’t wait to give my phone away. The bbm is very addictive!

47. **aM*iN*mAiMi*B!tch**

September 15, 2011 at 8:56 am

Nigerians are so stupid!….My new epic 4g has a dual-processor running android 2.3.4 ..I an watch live tv ,4g speeds, Play console quality games(xbox and ps3) , Do live video calling tanks to the quick app , connect to my led tv via hdmi , free gps with 3d turn by turn navigation……and the – bb 9900 does mainly that retard bbm #DEAD

September 15, 2011 at 10:11 am

I hope you are not a Nigerian cos then you are not excluded from the stupidity. To enlighten you a little the PRIMARY function of a phone is COMMUNICATION everything else is extra. Again bb is phone first toy second ,while your epic 4g is toy first phone second. There’s a reason real businessmen use BB.

• Bona

September 15, 2011 at 1:32 pm

@**aM*iN*mAiMi*B!tch**:
      it’s unfortunate to see that you are significantly ignorant yourself!!! and to make such an outright statement against a whole country is quite unacceptable (especially from an insignificant individual!!!) none of the facilities you have mentioned – except perhaps the console gaming and the TV connect) will function in Nigeria -FYI;
      in any case, you probably are in school or something so you have great amounts of free time on your hands. look around you – yes even in Miami – the BB is essentially the only phone that companies get for their employees – that should tell you something.
      oh, and while extolling the features of your ‘new epic’, you forgot to mention the two chargers and 6 batteries you always have to haul around with you!!! please stick to the issue of the post and stop insulting – and i dont care if you are Nigerian or not, you simply have no right to make such a statement. (mschew, Boko haram wannabe). FYI, the BBM is the least of the things the 9900 does!!! go figure! shikena

48. kem

September 15, 2011 at 9:39 am

like seriously, can i do Skype with it,cos i tried doing that with a torch but was diappointed if not it still same as others just different body structure….good ways of extorting people sha, marketing strategy na real wa…. some starve to get theirs, y others get theirs cos they have the cash……LOL

49. Rebel

September 15, 2011 at 9:53 am

and so is that why you call us stupid ?? haba!

50. IRENE

September 15, 2011 at 10:21 am

Its annoying how stupid Nigerian can be wen it cums to a BB, i can imagine me buyin a fone n payin 2 use d same fone. does it make sense?n 2 tink all d talk abt BB is notin compaired to mi android fone..wakeup Nigerians

September 16, 2011 at 12:14 pm

BN why exactly are you not letting me reply IRENE she cannot even spell or write correct english words yet she has the nerve to call people stupid……..kmt…….if you like don’t post my comment.

51. Truth Teller

September 15, 2011 at 11:13 am

Great for BB fans.As for me, i’ll stick to my android any day, anytime…

52. Chuchusweets

September 15, 2011 at 11:23 am

I wanttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt, *sniff*

53. achi

September 15, 2011 at 11:33 am

one mans – is another mans food….those of you that like a bb cos of its bbm as well as an iPhone bcos of its capabilities..why the headache..get a bb and an iphone..shikena!

54. Babs

September 15, 2011 at 12:50 pm

No one need to hate the BB just because u choose not to have one. Am an addicted HTC fan until my visit to 9ja last month when I discover that it made Naira sense to have a BB. What is d point of having a phone when u communicating prowess is limited. with a BB in 9ja – it does make both # and $ sense to own one for just 3k, d comm. world is at ur fingertips.
    FYI – The 4G bb 9810 is my new addition. Acquire one instead of hating.

55. Gabriella sadadi

September 15, 2011 at 1:03 pm

BB is good bt it is been abused by people dat there can nolongado anyfin without it

56. babyGirltooty

September 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Hmmmmmm!!!! 86 comments and counting – who says Blackberry isn’t hhawtt??!!! LOL!!!
    And pls stop all references to ‘Nigeria’ and ‘Nigerians’ like ure referring to some entity you can contain on your screen!!!!! get a life a stop benchmarking your existence against ‘Nigerians’ – they dont give 2-flying-effs what you think!!!!

57. tteey

September 15, 2011 at 4:37 pm

If this article was meant to be a review or preview of this new phone then i’m not impressed. The author didn’t mention any flaw or short-coming of this device. Any reviewer worth his/her salt will provide a fairly balanced write up. Just check out articles from T3, Stuff, Esquire, Robb-report …. In fact any of such articles in any standard website/mag.
    This is essentially an extended advert for RIM.

58. **aM*iN*mAiMi*B!tch**

September 15, 2011 at 6:48 pm

@IRENE plz tellem em’ that they in the past killin’ dier heads over a worthless “ShitBOX”
    #DEAD

59. iTawa

September 15, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Bold 9930 is amazing and battery life is great too…well I’m a bb addict, don’t see myself with any other phone sha…and I’m sorry droid, android, iphone or watever users, bb rocks! #enoughsaid

60. emmy

September 16, 2011 at 12:10 am

lmao, ma sweethart heart is in soup. bb9900 here i come.jor ooooo

61. KYLE

September 16, 2011 at 2:19 am

So because HTC and iPhone are better than BB, we should leave BB abi?

62. ephee

September 16, 2011 at 3:15 pm

BB or no BB, fone na fone, as long as u can send text message , call in and receive calls. if u want to ping, yahoo messanger is there for u, if u want to browse, u’ve got internet and if u need camera, use a digital.its ur choice. *no hating o*

63. AJCiti

September 16, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I need to get a BB soon but I refuse to get this model because it has a touch screen. In my world, anything aside from an iphone touch screen is just too inferior lol.

64. open your eyes.

September 17, 2011 at 4:04 am

Heh Nigerians bb is thing of the past,plz stop making fun of nigerians living over sea,i hate to read this kind of story.

65. Obi

September 18, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I was listening to a news report that said BB makers lost about 50% revenue (if I recall correctly) this past quarter. If they are still afloat that means they have made a lot of profit in the last few years considering that many companies are in financial hot pots. Its all about smart marketing and strategic business operations. It cost very little to return an old model to the market with a few modifications compared to rolling out a whole new product which requires a lot more work and effort. They have made a very smart decision to spend less in order to make more money whether or not we like it. The BB series have their advantages which aren’t always desired by consumers who do not find them necessary with the many communication channels out there. So to each his own. But if you’re struggling to make ends meet, and all you can think about it BB then you need to sit down and have a one-on-one with yourself.

• Obi

September 18, 2011 at 11:15 pm

… it actually is 58% fall in profits this last quarter

66. Ali & Simbi

September 28, 2011 at 2:37 am

Blackberry A.K.A. Ogun amudo… Quick way to get access to free Punanny. agree ?

67. nicole blaze

March 27, 2012 at 6:40 pm

maybe they should make BB dual sim and see if they rise