News

2012 Arise Magazine Fashion Week: House of Nwocha

BellaNaija.com

Ugonna Omeruo‘s label House of Nwocha has been going through a subtle reinvention over the last few months. From the label name “Hse of Nwocha/Nwocha” to the aesthetic of their clothing, HON is moving on up!

Though an official theme for the collection has not been released so far, the “warrior princess” inspiration is apparent. This predominantly black collection with glimpses of gold relies on velvet for its luxe appeal.

View the complete collection below.

Photo Credit: Kola Oshalusi

1. jane

March 11, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Lmao! Cheap crap mehn. Haahaha wev jst bin punked ryt?

2. sunny

March 11, 2012 at 6:56 pm

who is the model at the top? Hope she hits the international scene she is a stunner

3. Turayo

March 11, 2012 at 6:58 pm

While I love the theme, the velvet is somehow off to me. I do applaud House of Nwocha for for their work. Considering the climate of nigeria…I’m iffy on where I personally would wear this.

4. Miss Pepeye

March 11, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Dear Bella Naija-ists, is Apoche “furniture material” back in vogue for clothes or what? Ds is real NWOCHA

5. Jimmy

March 11, 2012 at 7:08 pm

You love?honestly?please wats with the satin Abeg? Tooooooo cheap a collection,bad tailoring

• Lolaa

March 11, 2012 at 11:34 pm

i agreee………..too cheap bad OBALENDE TAILORING

6. ami

March 11, 2012 at 7:09 pm

@Miss pepeye, the velvet used for sewing is different from furniture fabric.

7. Risikatu

March 11, 2012 at 7:23 pm

velvet, satin and mesh fabrics are very peculiar, you need to be on top of your game to pull it off.. I am not whoa’d at all.. quality of fabrics needs to be improved upon.

8. fy

March 11, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Still love it much tho…

9. Sia

March 11, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I know exactly how I feel about this collection but I will keep it cute out of respect for the designer. Just like any other designer, she put in time and money into the birth of this work.

I’m happy our fashion industry is growing so fast! Congrats to everyone involved.

• shadz

March 11, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I don’t think it’s bad to give critiques as long as you remain respectful and objective. Nigerians tend to praise mediocrity too much and i think that may stop some artistes/designers from achieving greatness.

• Mafia

March 11, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I agree about constructive criticism, but is saying “good job” considered praising mediocrity?

• shadz

March 12, 2012 at 3:43 am

saying “good job” about something that is mediocre is considered praising mediocrity….that’s not even the point, you can say good job I’m just saying it’s also OK to give constructive criticism if you feel something could be better cause I think it’ll help designers better themselves

10. dorothy

March 11, 2012 at 8:03 pm

most of the clothes were poorly finished….some of them were nice though.

11. birdieblue

March 11, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Mmm very xena warrior princess… My favourite would have to be 6th to last. As for the material I guess the heaviness is what gives the outfits its beauty…

12. konnie

March 11, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Lovely. A pity, you can never figure out where these things are being sold out of naija

13. Dee-USA

March 11, 2012 at 8:32 pm

This is a major disappointment coming from a major Nigerian label (abi is it just Bella Naija that hyped it up, making us in the diaspora think it is. It was all over the place for me and the last look didn’t tie in with the all black collection.

14. mma

March 11, 2012 at 8:49 pm

mixed fillings a few nice pice here and there and the desighner is getting fairer used to know her as dark skinned (not dudu oshu oo)

15. Joy

March 11, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Im sorry but clan, romeo bryant and lanre da silva are the. Only people that have caught my eye in this arise :/ the quality in all these other designers are not impressive

• zinni

March 12, 2012 at 1:55 am

Clan abi Deola Sageo? Lanre Da Silva ke? You dont know what you’re saying obviously. Designers like Buki Akib, Ejiro Amos Tafiri, Tiseme Binite and Okunoren Twins were far far better and innovative.

16. Beebee

March 11, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Dunno wat to say jare…its not workin for me i guess

17. Juwon

March 11, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Absolute nonsense!! Materials look very cheap and the designs were not very well thought about.

18. takr

March 11, 2012 at 11:22 pm

this one shouldn’t have been let loose on the runway

19. Francesca

March 11, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Velvet may not have been the best choice for fabric considering Nigeria’s temperature. The construction of the looks needs work still and some of them do look cheaply made. We’ve come a long way in fashion but there’s still a lot of improvement to be made.

20. Truth be told

March 12, 2012 at 12:33 am

her choice of fabric is always mostly a no, no. this collection is definitely one of the least i’ve seen. i like HON although she usually looks better in her designs than her models but she could have done more for this show. I’m a bit disappointed…:-(

21. OmoBolanle

March 12, 2012 at 2:42 am

I am disappointed. I can’t even believe that this is a collection by house of nwocha. I know and i have seen better. I am actually shocked about this collection.

22. COOC

March 12, 2012 at 6:18 am

fall or winter in Nigeria? had to sell me on this one.. very cheap looking as well

23. Nina

March 12, 2012 at 7:31 am

Go HON 4, 9 and 11 are my best. Would absolutely rock those. Keep it up girl ur doing well!!!

24. MOI!

March 12, 2012 at 9:02 am

not a big fan of velvet…but some of the pieces are niceee!

25. fokasibe

March 12, 2012 at 10:51 am

Akoche, anyone?

26. Debbie

March 12, 2012 at 1:34 pm

But why is ugonna bleaching her skin?

27. pynk

March 12, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Apoche ti wogboro – Apoche has entered society! APoche by Nwocha isnt it! Seriously, the designer has great design ideas, but they dont seem to translate well with the fabrics she chooses.

28. H•A•W

March 12, 2012 at 7:41 pm

This babe loves akpoche.. what is this! Wrong fabric

29. Madun

March 14, 2012 at 4:53 am

Ugonna only sews for herself. Her vision, her style and her own execution. I would imagine she is her only customer

30. Omo

March 15, 2012 at 4:50 am

Keep doing what u do babes, there is room for improvement. We learn everyday. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

31. natasha was here

March 26, 2012 at 10:29 pm

hey sweetie, i always always love what you wear but i have to be real with you dress 3 would have done better with out the veil, dress 7 and 8 would look better on a regular size lady ( 10,12 e.t.c) however am loving dress 12.
    in summary good job ,i think you should have used African prints instead it could have displayed your creativity better.
    PS
    remember back then when i use to call you African SOLANGE KNOWLES ….make us proud
    u rock gal…

32. Vanessa O

April 25, 2012 at 4:34 pm

The idea of the designs are nice, the constructions are nice BUT goodness me the materials :S looks cheap, the tailoring hmm not so great and in the first picture the little side things need to go(too much going on) and the belt needs to be a little bit up and you have a beautiful simple dress. Overall great ideas but from this collection i know the designer can do better.

33. Ejiwunmi

May 10, 2012 at 4:33 pm

All na apoche

34. mach

May 28, 2012 at 4:30 pm

ddnt like anything. sorry.