News

Lagos is Ranked as the 3rd “Worst”/Least Liveable City in the World by the Economist Intelligence Unit – Do You Agree with the Ranking?

The Economist Intelligence Unit has ranked Lagos, Nigeria as the third worst liveable country in its recently released 2012 Global Liveability Survey.

The liveability report which surveyed 140 cities around the world to assess the best or worst living conditions gave Lagos the 138th position. This was a drop from its 137th position in the 2011 ranking. Following closely after Lagos was Port Moresby which took the 139th position and Dhaka, Bangladesh as the 140th position making it the worst liveable city in the world.

Ranking first on the list as the city with the best living conditions is Melbourne, Australia with an overall rating of 97.5. Vienna, Austria ranked second while Vancouver, Canada ranked third. Johannesburg and Pretoria, South Africa took the 92nd and 96th positions respectively.

London, UK is ranked 55th, while Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the next host of the Olympics also shares the 92nd position with Johannesburg.

The liveability report surveys 140 locations around the world to assess the best or worst living conditions. Cities are scored on political and social stability, crime rates and access to quality healthcare. It also measures the diversity and standard of cultural events and the natural environment; education (school and university); and the standard of infrastructure, including public transport.

The Economist Intelligence Unit produces regular reports on the “reports on the liveability”, and  cost of living, of the world’s major cities, which receive wide coverage in international news sources.

For a full list of the 140 cities and their rankings, click here.

What do you think about the ranking? Considering the factors used, do you agree that Lagos is the third worst liveable country in the world among the 140 cities on the list?

Photo Credit: Wikipedia

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. Princess of Zion

August 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm

With the lack of electricity, bad roads, increased risks to security and all the unrest around the country, I don’t blame them! But compared to other cities in “developing” countries, Lagos isn’t too bad!

2. Fe

August 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm

What do u mean what do I think……. It’s clear and easy to see

3. nena

August 15, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Ah! Yes! I don’t live in lagos, but anytime I come there its total chaos. Very unfriendly, roudy and dusty and let’s not even talk about the traffic.

4. envy kills

August 15, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Totally disagree,u can move freely from nite till dawn,wat is un liveable there?

• Sweets

August 15, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Liar, liar, pants on fire. You can move freely from night till dawn. In Lagos? BBM shock smiley. Are you kidding me? I agree with that ranking I’m afraid. May I mention that Lagos is not only VI, Lekki, VGC and Ajah o, because some people who live on the island, will come here and start defending Lagos. Please sweep your Aunty Funmi hair from your face and remove your Gucci rose tinted glasses and see the real world around you. Lagos doesn’t begin and end on the Island. Overall, it is a shit hole to live in. I’m not surprised Melbourne, Vienna and Vancouver came 1st to third. I’ve had the pleasure and privilege of living, schooling, working, and visiting those 3 cities, and my oh my. I wonder where Tokyo, stands on that list? Doing the running man dance, and signing off. Off to ask my boss for another international assignment.

• OmoMakun

August 15, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Babes I gbadun you die! ROTFL!!!!

5. Chattyzee

August 15, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I have to agree with this article. Only those who grew up in Lagos will say what’s the big deal?

6. me

August 15, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Co-Sign !!!

7. osinuga akorede

August 15, 2012 at 1:42 pm

To quoth the fact lagos state is very rough.

8. Jay Roy

August 15, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Unfortunate but correct going by the criteria used – Very poor when compared to other major cities in terms of healthcare, education, public transport, roads and bridges

9. Gold

August 15, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Based on the mentioned criteria, we ought to all agree Lagos isn’t worth it. Access to quality health care, social stability, crime rate….the list is exhaustive. I can’t even boast of looking forward to relocating back home. The wahala is just too much and I don’t see any improvement being done. My prayer is that “EKO ONI BAJE”

10. PJ

August 15, 2012 at 2:03 pm

@ sweets, you’re just a funny person. I’m laughing seriously at your comment. Lagos may not be a good city to live in but to be fair those other countries are in developed nations. Nigeria is a developing nation infact we should be called under developed if there’s anything like that. pardon my ignorance. We shall hopefully get there one day. But I totally agree with the rankings.

11. Eugenia

August 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm

d problem of Lagos is too much crowd. we have alot of people staying in lagos.

• allek

August 15, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I agree Eugenia, which leads to traffic being terrible. Besides traffic and NEPA, Lagos is not bad. It is normal that people don’t see how ‘good’ they have it until they visit other places. Unfortunately there are slums in lagos as well as all the top-ranking cities on that list. But you have to travel — and do so with a certain (very low) budget and not a cushy job like sweets to realize that. Abi come to Paris and see people sleeping with their mattress ON THE STREET, not in the bank’s ATM section like in Spain. Nkan’ be. It is easy for Lagos to be the victim city, but the reality of life for many in recession-hit Spain, Portugal, France and UK will make many Lagosians do a double take.

• Ayinke

August 15, 2012 at 11:40 pm

The problem is that our government is criminal, yet they galavant around the world living in luxury there and not caring that they are doing shitty jobs in their positions. We need a revolution…..soon

12. Chineme

August 15, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I live In Australia but in Sydney ,u guys made a mistake because Vienna is not in Australia but Austra.I dont know why people think Australia and Austra are the same.Correction,Vienna is in Austra which is an european country why Melbourne is Australia which came first.Australia is a nice country i must confess because i am here and i know what i am enjoying.The money we are amking here in 2 weeks,a graduate makes it in 1 month.

• Damilare Aiki

August 15, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Thanks Chineme, it has been corrected.

• Mimi

August 15, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Its Austria my dear. See person correcting someone else. if you typed Austra once, I for forgive you say na typographical error, but 3 times. You obviously don’t know the spelling.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

August 15, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I wonder which is the lesser evil? To know how to spell the city’s name and not know where it is on the map or to not know how to spell the city’s name but know exactly which continent it lies in? Hmmmm… I’m torn…. but I will say this – ITK is a national disease that Nigerians are commonly afflicted with.

13. Ewurafua

August 15, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Just a point of correction. Vienna is in Austria, not Australia as published in the article.

• Damilare Aiki

August 15, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Thanks Ewurafua, it has been corrected.

14. SOBIX

August 15, 2012 at 2:23 pm

l totally agree with this ranking.Lagos is extremely dangerous to live.it is Lagos you will witness a plane crash -landing on houses,trailer’s tray mistakenly slipped and slides on other vehicles in a traffic , vehicle crushing pedestrian and driver escaping scout free,crazy traffic,people been packed up like fishes to be transported in many commercial buses in Lagos,dirty environment that hose unimaginable odor and many more thing l have seen but cant express. We need change in Lagos.

15. BIMBY

August 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm

BN, did I just read Melbourne, Australia,; Vienna, Australia? Has Vienna seized to be the capital of Austria? *raised eyebrows*

• Damilare Aiki

August 15, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Thanks Bimby, It has been corrected!

• Mimi

August 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm

In fact, I am english police today. See person correcting someone else o. Has Vienna seized to be the capital of Austria? Aunty it is supposed to be ceased. Has Vienna ceased to be the capital of Austria. Seized is synonymous with grab, ceased means discontinued or stopped.

• Bukky

August 15, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Thank you so much.Comparing Island to some countries, even some parts of Victoria Island look like slums.All your ice cream factories and so are situated on roads with horrible pot holes. People all dress fancy and go for their fashion events in Lagos but outside of that, the place reeks of poverty…it all really is glamour in the midst of squalor.Lets stop deceiving ourselves, Lagos is a SHIT HOLE!! There is always one thing or the other to be scared off. If it is not armed robber, it is police, if no be police, na Okada driver. No electricity, even the so called posh area, businesses there are all running on generator with everyone blasting their high powered, smoke polluting, environmental hazardous generators. Is it the one legged beggars on the bridge, or the no legged ones begging right outside of Silver bird? Have you been to Apapa, tin can island? Have you seen trucks moving around on bump ridden roads, carrying containers with no safety holding? Lagos is an awful city…lets not even lie

16. Sarafina

August 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Yeah, i agree with this article…………Lagos stinks, bad drainages,bad roads, poor housing, poor electricity and loads of fake ppl tryna speak d Queen’s English………..LOL.

17. ArabianPrincess

August 15, 2012 at 3:37 pm

@Bimby, madam grammar, its ceased not seized…kwanu! Me sef raise eyebrow for U.
    Lagos liveable or not…wont trade it for anywhere in d world. #IRepLasgidi24/7

• zee

August 15, 2012 at 3:48 pm

lmao!!

18. lara

August 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm

lol at London at 55th over 140..I was expecting a better figure, anyways sha they probably considered SE and East areas, those places are slowly turning into lagos, you can buy anything from Agege bread to palm wine, and you’ll hardly see a white person there…E remain for Danfo and Okada then it’ll be just like Lag…hehehe

• songhai

August 15, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Buhhahahhahhahhahhahhahhahha.I gabdun your comment

• London

August 15, 2012 at 10:26 pm

What part of South East london (SE) are you talking about? I live in SE and parts of it are very expensive and desireable because of its close proximity to the city. It is difficult and pricey finding a place to stay here because they dont last long on the market and people rarely move away. Housing is so lucrative that people are converting their homes into multiple flats just to cash in on the demand. There wouldn’t be such a high demand if it wasn’t a desirable place to live. I love living here considering it is close to peckham for my shopping needs. AND 75% of people I see every day are WHITE middle to upper class working families. Peckham isn’t the only town in SE and as a matter of fact, house prices in peckham aren’t cheap. Search for yourself and see. Some of the best children schools, nurseries and top (NHS) hospitals are all in SE. Also bear in mind it is in zone 2. What is wrong with being able to buy Agege bread and palm wine. Abeg stop generalizing and educate yourself. nonsense!

• Laide O

August 16, 2012 at 12:43 pm

London, take a Chill Pill jare.
      Clearly you have a complex about living in SE london. Pele! all your naija chums live in NW abi? and you are constantly defending your adugbo?? I can spot a seasoned SE london defender anywhere! hehe!!

• Ije

August 16, 2012 at 9:42 pm

@ London; Very valid points made! Ignore these Tottenham breed fools. The truth is a bitter pill. We moved to NW because a 3 bed flat in a posh part of SE cost us trice as much as a 3 bed house in NW 🙁

19. ngowzey

August 15, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I am with Arabian princess on this…….Eko o ni baje o

20. Kemi

August 15, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I totally agree with the survey. Lagos is not a city to write home about. Even other 3rd world countries that are not as buoyant as Nigeria have better facilities than we do. Electricity here is zero, our health care facilities are poor, transportation system is poor just to mention a few. So im not surprised at all.

21. Africandecor(click)

August 15, 2012 at 4:32 pm

least liveable aye? must explain why its first choice for people moving back then.

22. marvel

August 15, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Did someone mention dusty? Bloody hell!! If you live in Alimosho LGA, it wouldn’t make a difference if after death there was a hell. It is awful! Pre BH, I commented about Lagos being flattened to allow modern town planners start from scratch.

23. Sonarchai

August 15, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Well deserved award without doubt!!

24. tootsy

August 15, 2012 at 5:14 pm

the only i reason i think lagos is the not liveable is because we have the majority here in lagos. why wasnt abj considered. U talk abt light is it only lagos that we have bad electricity, talk abt healthcare, i bet a lot of people even in the rural area can at least attest to the fact that they can assess healthcare now compared to before, schools and all. we have new improved government schools here. Talking about security where in Nigeria is secured? is abj? or kaduna, or portharcourt, name it then compare. If indeed lagos is the least liveable why do we have a lot of foreigners trop into the state like no man’s business. Lagos is not bad and more so i have visited all of these countries they engoy development compared to lagos that is all for me

25. chidinma perfect

August 15, 2012 at 5:22 pm

hmmm i agree shaa. bt lets still rmemba lagos is stil in Nigeria nd we ve only dis 1 country 2 protect,hw clean is ur own enironment? jst maybe if we try cleaning our own backyard 2day,lagosians wil start 2marrow nd we mek al 36state betta. How abt dat?

26. lilly

August 15, 2012 at 5:25 pm

GBAM!! Lagos is just too much of everything. From the traffic, to the lack of electricity, poor roads, dusty environment, let me not even talk about the danfo drivers . It’s just too rowdy menh…

27. naijababe

August 15, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I 100% agree. I know, lagosians don’t want to hear it. Instead of Naijas seeing it as a wake up call, they will be reigning insult and abuse on people. The truth hurts, stop being in denial and accept it. That will be the beginning of change. I don’t like Lagos at all. I will take Port Harcourt over it anyday, Calabar is nice, even Akure. Gov Fashola, should come up with ways, strategy to reduce the population, it’s way too overcrowded. Is President Jonathan still alive? It’s been dead silence for a while now.

28. Mssexy

August 15, 2012 at 5:30 pm

am also wt arabian princess, eko baje ti jor

29. Amiphat

August 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm

@Sweets, you are hilarious (still chuckling at “sweep your Aunty Funmi hair out of your eyes”)!!!! That said, I sadly agree with the assesment. I grew up in the north and moved to Lagos to serve and then stayed to work (after swearing I would never live here). In University, Lagosians would act like the sun rose and set only in Lagos and the rest of Nigeria (even the world) was only enjoying a ‘substitute sun’ that Lagos had deigned to put in the sky for lesser mortals to have a taste of.

14 years after (and marrying one of them to boot), I still ask what the hell I’m still doing here.

• songhai

August 15, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Buhhahahhahhahhahhahhahhahha.I gabdun your comment
      EEEYAAAAAH Amphat.It is a love thing.

30. pfunk

August 15, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I agree this country lacks everything,bad roads ,no power supply,education and health non existence. I for one will say not qualified to be on the list.

31. brandigest

August 15, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Eko hard, e harsh well well. I live in Lagos and I must say it is mad leaving in Lagos

32. funmilayo

August 15, 2012 at 9:01 pm

u guys keep complaining about lagos and yet u still live there, skul there and do all manners of business transactions there. i totally disagree wit the rating

• gf

August 16, 2012 at 12:27 am

@Funmilayo, these were the metrics used “political and social stability, crime rates and access to quality healthcare,diversity and standard of cultural events and the natural environment; education (school and university); and the standard of infrastructure, including public transport.” What is it that you disagree with?

33. songhai

August 15, 2012 at 10:11 pm

So sad Vancouver, Beautiful British Columbia Canada lost to Melbourne,Australia.

34. Phatomscribbler

August 15, 2012 at 11:40 pm

It takes a Lagosian to appreciate Lasgiddy, but truth can no longer be denied, the Mega city is like a Hydra with too many heads, with a few being very healthy (affluent suburbs), while the majority are looking down and out.
    Poor Roads, Lack of Electricity (no offence to the Happy clappy gens out there), No regular running water, poor housing (no planing), poor sanitation, the traffic (Wow!! only in Lagos – Aba and Onitsha have nothing on Lagos), poor infrastructure, poor governance and use of Tax payers money (as is every part of Nigeria).

But Hey! I love Lagos, and will always do, but we need to do something about the living conditions, and other aspects of the City

35. lily

August 16, 2012 at 12:16 am

@Mimi ROTFL…..u r too funny

36. iiii

August 16, 2012 at 12:40 am

well Lagos may be everything bad as said from the ranking and comments.
    I was born in Lagos( NOTE I am not from Lagos state), did my secondary in another South Western state..University was in the North so also NYSC, through those years I always looked forward to coming back home. .
    It is one of the worst places to be yet the Indians,Lebanese,Chinese all come here to live for business.
    Wherever I find myself I will always make the best out of my life

37. NNENNE

August 16, 2012 at 1:11 am

What countries were surveyed? Whatever be the case, we must realize that Lagos is in a third world country and a work in progress. The population does not make the job any easier.
    We will get there one day, if our leaders do their best and we support them.

38. kk

August 16, 2012 at 1:13 am

TRUE that Lagos is not one of the most conducive cities to live in, however I do not know how it is the 3rd worst
    In all honesty I refuse to be saddled with this, there are a lot of people doing great stuff and making fantastic and decent earnings here regardless, and that is the part I am sticking to. I say so because I have no where to go, Lagos remains home for me. Everybody i know is here, my family, friends and memories.All that I have known and learnt I learnt from here ( Lagos)

As someone has already said ‘you know lagosians won’t want to hear of this’ I agree and I do so because Lagos is the past, present and the future for some people.
    I love Lagos I am unapologetic about it .

PS:: LAGOS has really improved compared to 10 years ago.

• SUNIL

August 18, 2012 at 12:15 pm

THEN WHY DO U GO TO NIGERIA IF U DONT LIKE AND WANT TO TALK BAD ABOUT IT .STAY IN YOUR COUNTRY N ENJOY…………….
      I TOO AGREE WITH YOU LAGOS IS A NICE PLACE TO STAY LONG LIVE NIGERIA N ITS PEOPLE

39. NNENNE

August 16, 2012 at 1:22 am

Just went through the list. Why wasn’t Abuja mentioned ?

40. Junie

August 16, 2012 at 2:31 am

Hmm…I’m not sure I agree….you see Lagos is a lot of different things to a lot of different people…for example I used to live in Ajao Estate(close to the airport) and my office was in Lekki1 and believe me, it was hellish!! Now I live in Lekki and I have a home office plus an office in VI that takes me a total of less than 30 mins to get to even on bad days….has Lagos changed?not so much as I have moved things around a bit so I think it depends on what point of life you are at at any given time.
    I was also in NYC recently and I stayed in a 5-star hotel on Times square – on 42nd actually which is where everything happens….the hotel was so amazing but stepping out to take a stroll or get touristy….always awful- who concurs that NYC is worse smelling than Lagos in summer and lots more crowded – it was my first time in and honestly, there were so many homeless guys roaming around and chaos that I left for the peace of Dallas till my holiday was over.
    Yes, Lagos is not the best place to live but it’s really not as bad as we paint it…yes, a lot of work needs to be done but methinks all these so-called developed countries are over-hyped.
    P.S the highways of Houston are dirtier than third mainland bridge, there are flight delays, a mostly over-worked population and more Nigerians forming accents(after just living der a few months) than in Nigeria…so basically, what’s the fuss?IF you have a gd job in Nig, pls stay, travel to other countries on holiday and be patient and contribute to the society and the Nigerian economy till it gets better as I kw it will!
    My two cents…Peace!

41. Mee

August 16, 2012 at 7:34 am

Sum1 did mention dt d trafic I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Lagos is too much;wot if I tld U̶̲̥̅̊ guyz dt,well ova 60% of dose livin I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Lagos r nt Lagosians?2 decongest Lagos,isn’t obvious wot shld b done,”2 thy tent O Isreal”.Let each & evrybdy “feasting” on us,Lagos & Lagosian go bak 2 dir various States,den,dre wil b less congestion on our social amenities,security~wise,we’l ve less ple 2 luk out 4,etcm,nonetheless,using d parameter being used I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ d article,I pretty much agree,BUT,get non Lagosians outta Lagos,I bet U̶̲̥̅̊,U̶̲̥̅̊’l C d differnce…
    Eko o ni baje o…
    O baje ti!

42. CHARIMA

August 16, 2012 at 9:24 am

R u kidding me?if Lagos is dirty den d fault is frm d citizen,cos many of us drink sachet water n dump dem on d road,we eat corn and throw dem on d road too and many oda tins too.So u see u can’t really blame d govt cos I knw fashola has tried his best to make lagos luk lyk a mega city but d residence of Lagos r jst too dirty,making lagos dirty n dey still blame d govt.dats ridiculous.

43. jaycole

August 16, 2012 at 9:32 am

yeah am getting y’all attacking Lagos,if you’ve ever lived abroad,you will knw dat everywhere has got slums but no city of the world showcases that,y’all should stop focusing on Lagos’ bad sides and start seeing the prospective of this state in d future with all d attention it gets from the foreign eye….i mean putting it on a list among developed nations is a plus…we are third world lets accept it for now…its gonna be better soon…y wasn’t Abuja and all its fancies put on d list tho? rhetorical question i know,Lagos is d most important city cry or not!lets pray for a better Nigeria!

• SongSeungHoon

August 17, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Understood every place has got slums, but Lagos State which many people will say is supposed to be one of the best places in Nigeria still has crappy living standards. I can remember visiting Nigeria last summer, the road in Lekki and VI was horrendous. Lekki and VI that are supposedly the best places in Lagos, but I couldn’t help but notice numerous pot holes and practically no drainage system. There are just so many things wrong with Lagos and Nigeria as a whole. Some of you think it’s the norm to have your car constantly entering pot holes or have lumps of water everywhere. There was an article a couple of months ago about people waking up at 5:00am to go to work that starts at 8:00am. Seriously what kind of life is that, you think that is normal. Lots of Children hardly see their parents because they wake up at this horrendous time to go to work. You see lots of young adults in their late thirties already with diagnosed with hypertension; this is due to all the oxidative stress of waking up at miserable times and not getting enough sleep. There is absolutely nothing good or livable about that.

• SUNIL

August 18, 2012 at 12:12 pm

• MichelleWuChun

August 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm

@Sunil funny enough my mum is Nigerian so I can decide to visit Nigeria when I want. I was actually visiting for a good cause. My friends and I visit Nigeria once every year to give free medical care: We call it a medical mission trip. There is corruption and problems in every country but Nigeria’s own is in the Nth degree.

44. ij

August 16, 2012 at 9:36 am

ah ah what do they mean by least liveable ,what of our cassava bread ? doesn’t it count for anything??

45. jaycole

August 16, 2012 at 10:02 am

oh wait!!i get the problem,y’all keep seeing lagos as a city and not a state,well who goes to carlifornia state and stays in peryn and not los angeles city or who goes to Illinois and stays downtown???so i dont get y u travel all d way to Lagos state and go to ajegunle or some slum and report from dat side of the food-chain,wen u visit Lagos move over to some fun place and enjoy ur time and money or shut entirely up!!!

46. pfunk

August 16, 2012 at 10:12 am

Thanks “gf” Funmilayo lives in a different time zone.There is nothing to be proud of when it comes to lagos and Nigeria as a whole.Let’s sit back and look at countries like Thailand Malaysia to name a few.Nigeria giant of Africa please lets be realistic more puppets of Africa where nothing works. A country where the ordinary man and woman are continuously faced with hardship. That’s my 2 cent

47. anon

August 16, 2012 at 10:53 am

all i can say is that the population of these cities played a huge part in their ratings, lagos oni baje oo!

48. nini

August 16, 2012 at 11:09 am

What a shame….Ca va aller

49. zheloyi

August 16, 2012 at 12:21 pm

surprised Lagos isnt 141st.

50. Laide O

August 16, 2012 at 12:43 pm

London, take a Chill Pill jare.

51. Scarlet

August 17, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Wow, you must be 10 or something, so I forgive you.

• Scarlet

August 17, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Ist comment is for Mee.

52. SUNIL

August 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm

DEAR ALL
    IM AN INDIAN N STAYING IN LAGOS FOR PAST 15 YEARS …………ITS A BLESSED COUNTRY .ALWAYS A SMILE AND GREETINGS ON THE FACE OF THE LOCALS .I AGREE WE DO HAVE POWER PROBLEM BUT EVEN THE LOCALS R IN THE SAME BOAT .ITS A HEAVEN ON EARTH .IT HAS GOOD POTENTIAL .IF PEOPLE FEEL LAGOS IS NOT A CITY TO STAY IN THEY SHOULD LEAVE AND GO WHERE THEY HAVE COME FROM.HAIL NIGERIA ……….ARE OTHER COUNTRIES NOT CORRUPT .EVERY COUNTRY IS CORRUPT OF POLITICANS AND BEAURACATS …DOSENT MEANS NIGERIA IS NOT A GOOD PLACE ..I M AND INDIAN .I WILL STILL SAY .LONG LIVE NIGERIA .AND GOD BLESS ALL THE NIGERIANS STAYING IN THE COUNTRY ………….Hail NIGERIA ………

• sandi

November 14, 2012 at 7:32 am

I am a US citizen have visited Lagos and I agree that some things need to be improved such as NEPA health care &Sanitation ,but Hey all mega cities in the world have their problems. I enjoyed my stay when I came . Nigerians are a warm and friendly people.
      However,it is expensive. But if you have money you can get anything you need.

53. Oye

August 27, 2012 at 12:14 am

So sad no one sees this in my perspective. Can’t you see what these guys are trying to do? They are just doing what they do best, which is to ridicule Africans. Check the list out. They listed jhb and prétoria. They know that if they should list cape town, it must be ranked higher cos its more serene: so they they omitted it. Now nigeria they listed lagos and omitted abuja cos of the same reason. I don’t always agree with all these western rankings cos all they publicize abt Africans is always the bad side. Ofcos, lagos is a commercial city, and just like every commercial cities in the world it won’t give a perfect picture of a cool city. Every city has slums, but this white slow pokes will always overhype anything bad abt Africans and ignore the commendable ones. But we can make their mission difficult by not aiding them. Your topic as well is misleading, because lagos is ranked 138th doesn’t make it the third worst cities. its not like we have just 140 cities in the whole world

54. luna

March 3, 2013 at 9:33 am

this is an old post but seriously….lets us all judge this by the measures in place..power? err in Lagos?m where?? everytime am in Lekki all mmy relatives and friends have their Generators on!

i was born and raised in Lagos currently in Ogun state now, and the lack of pollution is a breathe of fresh air! each time i go to Lagos my eyes start tearing up for no reason then a friend who stayed in Enugu told me that d same happened to him and it was due to the hefty pollution?

And fun??? what fun? going to clubs and drinking smoking with music so loud u have to keep screaming might be fun once in awhile but i get so irritated when Lagosians use that as some sort of excuse for putting up with its bad points! You can’t do road trips here, people don’t consider picnicing as fun most times, hell we have nothing to do for fun but get drunk and dance? puh leaaze!
    Some places may be bad but do you know some homeless guy in The US will eat a full meal for a day compared to a homeless person here? there may be people in Paris sleeping with beds outside but where will one even see the bed to use and sleep here? how? when you have no money? no home? :/

Thats said i definitely do not agree Lagos is the “3rd” worst city to live in Please spare me! it isn’t all good infact its horrid! But it’s not that high up even with that stats used.

Western world just loves painting Africa in a bad light(just look at BBC’s welcome to Lagos….seriously?)

Lagos is horrid to live in nothing can change that till we and our government decide to change but till then… But we are definitely not as bad as painted.

55. magasinmeilleur

March 12, 2014 at 5:01 pm

i need some ideas for a blog. i already do poems and surveys on it but i wanna talk about something..