Features

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: Who’s Fooling Who?

I, Atoke, (also known as “Atoke”), a writer formerly signed to BellaNaija.com hereby wish to notify my fans and the general public of my volunatary exit from the magazine. I do not wish to renew my contract with the establishment and as such have proceeded to continue my writing career with my new team at Atoke’s Movement. I still maintain a cordial relationship with my former team members and I wish them the best in their future endeavors. Any further information will be passed on through my publicist, but until then, have a good Monday. Look out for my new material AtokeMurdaDem coming out in July 2013.
All for the best, Atoke.

That was my attempt at pulling an April Fools prank on you guys. I totally suck at these things. I’ve never pranked anybody before because I lack the creativity it takes to spin up a story and put the elements in motion to carry it through. It’s so bad that even for this I had to dub from Brother Jesse. *covers face in shame*

On the first of April, every year, someone somewhere is trying to play a nasty prank on an innocent person. I mean, pranks can be a bit of fun when you’re not on the receiving end of it but sometimes they can be mean and scary. When we were in Unilag, my friend and her cousin decided to play a prank on his girlfriend. My friend, the agent of doom, called the girlfriend to notify her that her boyfriend had been in an accident. She was so shaken up. She parked her car and took a motor bike from Ogba to the their house. When she got there, she was in tears. She found out she had been “April fool’d” and went crazy. She took a cab home.

That particular prank is deep red on my meanometer if you ask me. I asked around a few people for the worst April Fool’s day prank they’d played or they’ve had played on them and it ranged from mild to absurd.

Another friend said she and her siblings once pranked their dad by telling him that his prized German Shepard had died. I don’t think they were expecting their dad to look like he was heading in the path of the supposedly departed canine. When it looked like he was about to keel over himself, they quickly said “April Fool”

I’ve heard stories of guys who have “pranked” their girlfriends with “I can’t do this again, let’s break up” and then girls who say “Baby, I missed my period”. It’s all fun and games when you’re playing until you realized the person is speaking their “church mind”
Then there are situations when the pranks are played with so many inconsistencies that you just feel sorry for the burgeoning prankster because they’ve clearly not thought it through. Such people people need big hugs because, in the words of my good friend, B, “Nothing looks more foolish than a failed April fool’s prank”

So guys, what do you think about pranks? How far should one go with them and how soon should one let the ‘victim’ of the prank know that it’s just a prank? Please share the best and worst pranks you’ve played or experienced.

Enjoy your holiday and have a blast.

Love, peace & cupcakes!
Toodles

In totally unrelated news, please mosey on over to 9.03mins on this video. Thank me later.

Photo Credit:http://thirstyroots.com

1. Jane

April 1, 2013 at 10:50 am

Ahhh atoke! Dont try me o. Lol

2. Derin

April 1, 2013 at 10:56 am

lol, i like how you direct us to the end of the interview when Banky shows up 😛 !!

3. Neni Stone

April 1, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Interesting post.

nenisnaija.blogspot.com/

4. Forever Blessed

April 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Lmao at church mind

5. tokunbo

April 1, 2013 at 12:56 pm

this life sha…and to think 9ice was once bigger than Banky!! Now 9ice cant even stand next to EME Boss Banky!!! Goes to show there’s a difference between talent and entrepreneurship!

6. dontmention

April 1, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Just got pranked this morning by my favorite OAPs when they both said they r leaving the show, my heart sank only for them to come back mins later n say sorry to those who believed them Bc it was April fool…………I hate de day personally doh so far I haven’t experienced a devastating prank but still………
    vikkyscreed.blogspot.com

7. Eniyan

April 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Atoke has just subbed all the fake ‘phone’ people. Oya, catch ya own! lol

8. Nneka

April 1, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Sent my boyfriend a message saying “baby I love you, but I can’t do this anymore.” lmao

• Baby

April 1, 2013 at 4:04 pm

“baby I love you, but I can’t do this anymore.” lol

• moi

April 1, 2013 at 6:03 pm

dont you think that was too expensive a joke? anyhoo, to each his own!

9. Eebony

April 1, 2013 at 3:41 pm

my bf tried it this morning,when he called and said he was outside my house,i was dressing up in excitement when he called me back to say April fool……sooo annoying

10. huh?

April 1, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I know it was a prank!

11. Neo

April 1, 2013 at 6:12 pm

After late night armed robber gist, my friend and I were inspired to call his friend who had just left to say that there were armed robbers in the compound. I should get an Oscar for my performance oh. See me crying and screaming “L, don’t go outside. They shot the meigad!” The funniest part was when his friend said we should just lock the door and stay calm. After we yelled April fool, I was like na wa oh so u couldn’t come back and help us. Dude was like “I be like police?” For the rest of the day I stuck toy nephews fave prank of there’s something on your head.

12. anti-hate

April 1, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Sent a fake recharge card to my best fwend dat I jst got lucky…she got blocked from the service…callin me to confirm if the card neva got used….mehn she went crazy and had to call mtm office…sowi dear…dats d trust and love we share.

13. Trendiest

April 2, 2013 at 4:26 am

I just finished playing d pregnancy joke on my boyfriend..he knows its not his cos we’re not having sex..told him it was a one time thing.put on a nice oscar performance complete with tears n begging,right after i made him a niceeee dinner….
    He said to let him know what i want him to do
    still havnt told him april fool…its just 11.23pm here

14. Priscy

April 2, 2013 at 9:05 am

I called a colleague of mine that he was needed on the office that Monday morning. He was just grumbling and asking why they needed just him in the office. He had planned to spend the whole day on bed and was still sleeping when I called. I called him 20 mins later and he said he was on his way dat was when I told him it was April Fool. He was so madddd. He later called me laughing that I got him hard. His wife and kids kept laughing at him.

15. pynk

April 2, 2013 at 9:13 am

9ice’s english leave much to be desired abeg.

16. Retrochic

April 2, 2013 at 11:57 am

What a great post, i really believed Atoke, only to find out that it was april fool, dt interviw was great, 9ice, am just awed by 9ice humility, but what happened 2 him